PDA

View Full Version : Feature Request Thread.

h2s
04-25-2013, 07:54 AM
I know we have had these type of threads before, but I am looking to have a condensed feedback thread for new features you guys would like to see.

Phase One:

Complete design overhaul: Design will be switching to a lighter colored theme. Eventually a dark version will be added as well, but for now the feedback shows that people prefer a lighter theme.
Less condensation. This is a personal observation, and may just be a current theme issue. I would like the information to appear less condensed and the site to be 'easier on the eyes' in general.
Shoutbox.
Forum Statistics provided in real time.
Update to include articles section (research into potential sources in progress).
Enhanced User Security Requirements (Disallowing new members to post to classified, etc.)

Phase Two:

Potential Upgrade to vBulletin 5.
Blog pages available for members (potential log benefits?)
More user features (enhanced communication and messaging.

Phase Three:

Potential re-vamp of the classifieds section to an automated system.

Suggestions from this thread so far:
Admin approval for new accounts.
Notifications of relevant activity.

h2s
04-25-2013, 07:58 AM
Also, what features do other sites/forums have that you feel Swole Source is lacking?

burlyman30
04-25-2013, 08:20 AM
Some forums that you sign up to require you wait until you get mod approval prior to initializing membership. Not sure if vbulletin allows that, but it would be a nice screening tool.

BoneDaddy
04-25-2013, 08:23 AM
I love the AM function that shows new activity in subscribed threads or threads you've posted in.....a notification function.

h2s
04-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Some forums that you sign up to require you wait until you get mod approval prior to initializing membership. Not sure if vbulletin allows that, but it would be a nice screening tool.

This, at least from my experience, is more generally used on forums that aim for limited membership (such as DatbTrue). I will look into it though, as it would solve a decent amount of spam (since most spam accounts are obvious). My only concern is that a delay from registration to acceptance would deter a potential new member from posting, and they would seek out another forum in the meantime (it would be hard to keep requests filled at all times).

I love the AM function that shows new activity in subscribed threads or threads you've posted in.....a notification function.

I will look into how they do this.

BeaverDan
04-25-2013, 12:26 PM
Maybe a way to view posts from the previous 24 hours. Sometimes when I go to new posts and enter a thread, if I go home first and not back, it won't let me see what's new, it thinks I've already seen those posts.

O_RYAN_007
04-25-2013, 12:43 PM
I think it would be cool to "tag" someone in a post, and for that person to get a notification when that happens. It would be nice to do that so said person could chime in on that particular topic when tagged.

h2s
04-25-2013, 02:26 PM
Maybe a way to view posts from the previous 24 hours. Sometimes when I go to new posts and enter a thread, if I go home first and not back, it won't let me see what's new, it thinks I've already seen those posts.

Have you tried the activity stream? Available on the menu under Whats New > Activity Stream.
Activity Stream - Swole Source (http://www.swolesource.com/forum/activity.php)

I think it would be cool to "tag" someone in a post, and for that person to get a notification when that happens. It would be nice to do that so said person could chime in on that particular topic when tagged.

Not sure if vb has the capability. Will look into it.

BeaverDan
04-25-2013, 07:17 PM
I guess I mean the active threads over the past 24 hours. As this forum gets more members, that will be a lot of individual posts to go through.

milehighguy
04-25-2013, 09:00 PM

This ^^^
Sometimes I like to know when certain threads have additional posts so I can keep up

USN HM 350Z
04-25-2013, 09:16 PM
This, at least from my experience, is more generally used on forums that aim for limited membership (such as DatbTrue). I will look into it though, as it would solve a decent amount of spam (since most spam accounts are obvious). My only concern is that a delay from registration to acceptance would deter a potential new member from posting, and they would seek out another forum in the meantime (it would be hard to keep requests filled at all times).

You can just enable a registration question that would stop most of the spammers from registering due to the fact they are from other countries and have limited knowledge of the English language. A question such as "What color is Blue?" would fool most of the spammers guaranteed

Sorrow
04-26-2013, 03:19 PM
This is all great news. Thanks for all the effort.

I think having logs tied to each persons profile could be a good thing in the future.

Grape Ape
05-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Still want a shoutbox(you already know)but maybe only visible to memebers over 100 posts(if we get too big).

Top 5 threads most recently posted in box at the top.

h2s
05-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Still want a shoutbox(you already know)but maybe only visible to memebers over 100 posts(if we get too big).

Top 5 threads most recently posted in box at the top.

I havw the shoutbox in the list of things to incorporate, but I think I might have an issue with it fitting in with the new theme. I will try though.

Grape Ape
05-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Cool. I knew you were on it. I just wonder that if we get to big, will the shoutbox get too flooded and spammed up. I guess we would find out when the time came. Don't go breaking your back for me, if it doesn't fit the theme though.

josh
05-18-2013, 08:51 AM
John just a warning, before you commit to buy VB5 make sure it is compatible with your hosting. I recently purchased a VB5 license and it turns out GoDaddy doesnt have the correct MySql for it.

Just a warning before you waste money. If you need any help with anything lemme know and I will see what I can assist with

josh
05-18-2013, 08:57 AM

I like datbtru setup but yes that is going to limit members and it appears you are trying to build a commercial site

Upgrade the captcha to help prevent spam bots

Not sure if vb has the capability. Will look into it.

Thread tagging is a plugin. You can do it for vB4 not sure if its available for vB5 yet

You can just enable a registration question that would stop most of the spammers from registering due to the fact they are from other countries and have limited knowledge of the English language. A question such as "What color is Blue?" would fool most of the spammers guaranteed

bots are smarter than you think

This is all great news. Thanks for all the effort.

I think having logs tied to each persons profile could be a good thing in the future.

With this current vB version there is a blog function. Could possibly use the blog as a log and then it will be connected to username that way but AM tried something similar to this in the past and it wasn't too great and they ended up canning it because no one used it

I havw the shoutbox in the list of things to incorporate, but I think I might have an issue with it fitting in with the new theme. I will try though.

They usually add in pretty seamlessly

Jelisej
05-18-2013, 04:16 PM

Good idea, actually.