PDA

View Full Version : Burly Decides to Bench Again...

burlyman30
05-03-2013, 01:57 AM
I don't want to regurgitate all the same stuff, so if you haven't already read all my backstory, you can find it in the first post of this thread: Burly Decides to Pull Again... (http://www.swolesource.com/forum/personal-training-logs/1037-burly-decides-pull-again.html)

So... benching... It's not something I've done much of over the last several years, though I do dabble from time to time. I have heaps of scar tissue in my shoulders from years of injuries, so bench press has been an on/off thing for me. I really haven't cared too much about strength in the bench press, unlike some guys at the gym who seem to live by that number. Of course, I'm not immune to feeling great when numbers increase. That just hasn't been my focus since around 1990. I don't think I have performed a barbell bench press at all since July or August, so you might say it has been a while.

It has been a crazy crazy busy last couple of weeks for me, getting 4-5 hours of sleep each night and working 100+ hours a week on a coffee shop we are building. With all that craziness, I snuck in 2 workouts last week and only 1 so far this week, which was tonight. I walked (or dragged myself) into an Anytime Fitness location after a 16 hour day. It was nearby the jobsite, so I was unfamiliar with it. Most Anytime Fitness locations will not have a bench for bench pressing. However, they do have benches that are moveable into a power rack.

I walked into the gym tonight and the bench called me over to it. I have no idea why. Maybe I wanted to gauge where I am right now. Maybe I needed a change from dumbells.

Because of the shoulder issues I take a very long time warming up. You'll see a very slow progression in weight increases. I'll comment below as it warrants.

Bar 40 reps
65 lbs 25 reps
85 lbs 15 reps
95 lbs 12 reps

135 lbs 5 reps
185 lbs 5 reps I am so NOT used to the bar/style, that my arms/elbows began shaking a bit on the way down.

All the sets below were done with a 3 count down, short pause on chest, and up again.

195 lbs 3 reps Arm shaking again, but I felt more under control this time
205 lbs 1 rep Feeling a bit better control than the previous set
225 lbs 1 rep Shoulder had a short twinge, but I think I got off balance when I pulled the bar off the rack.
245 lbs 1 rep Shoulder felt much better on this set than the previous. My form now is critical as the weight begins to require everything just so.
265 lbs 1 rep. Went up well. Feeling heavy, and considered stopping the weight increases here. However, it ends up with me deciding to push it a bit more.
275 lbs 1 rep. Went up smooth and without issue. I let out a small grunt to heave up the weight, but the bar never stopped moving upward.

I called that "good enough" for a first day back. My shoulder is just a little tender after the workout, but no worse off than from any other chest workout. I finished out the chest workout with a few sets of flat dumbell flyes with reps of 12-15 and some sets of bodyweight dips in the 15-25 rep range. I finished out the night with some bi and tri work and called it good.

I don't know how frequently I will incorporate barbell bench into my training, but seeing as I am running out of the dumbells as I grow stronger, it may become more and more frequent as long as the shoulder holds up. Overall, the night went well and it helped me assess my current strength levels so I can move forward in increasing them.

I'll keep adding to this thread as I do more. In the meantime, feel free to use this thread as a discussion place for all things bench press related.

weekend
05-03-2013, 02:05 AM
damn how can you hit 275 after not benching for a year...

Coolazice
05-03-2013, 03:26 AM

And only weighing 182ish....
And 43 years of age....
And working those ungodly hours....
And....
And....
And....

The guy is a freakin' machine!!!

You never cease to amaze me, Burly!!! :cool:

burlyman30
05-03-2013, 07:27 AM

And only weighing 182ish....
And 43 years of age....
And working those ungodly hours....
And....
And....
And....

The guy is a freakin' machine!!!

You never cease to amaze me, Burly!!! :cool:

Aww shucks, guys... yer gonna make me blush. ;)

Weight is all relative. I've been stronger, and I've been weaker. I've said it before: it doesn't matter where you or I start-- it's where you go from there and what you learn on the way that really matters.

O_RYAN_007
05-03-2013, 07:40 AM
Aww shucks, guys... yer gonna make me blush. ;)

Weight is all relative. I've been stronger, and I've been weaker. I've said it before: it doesn't matter where you or I start-- it's where you go from there and what you learn on the way that really matters.

Nicely put Major Applegate!

O_RYAN_007
05-03-2013, 07:44 AM
Shoulder Pain - Page 2 (http://www.swolesource.com/forum/general-discussion/1072-shoulder-pain-2.html)

page 2 post 16 by Northcutt.

He brings up a great point in checking out some vids on shoulder mobility using a lacrosse ball. I started checking it out yesterday and found tons of great techniques to use to. Trigger point releases are also amazing in breaking up the muscles.

burlyman30
05-03-2013, 07:46 AM
Shoulder Pain - Page 2 (http://www.swolesource.com/forum/general-discussion/1072-shoulder-pain-2.html)

page 2 post 16 by Northcutt.

He brings up a great point in checking out some vids on shoulder mobility using a lacrosse ball. I started checking it out yesterday and found tons of great techniques to use to. Trigger point releases are also amazing in breaking up the muscles.

I'll check it out! Thanks!

O_RYAN_007
05-03-2013, 03:43 PM
I'll check it out! Thanks!

I think this is a great vid!

Myofascial release and Biomechanics for the forearm, tricep and shoulder - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b86HphITCs)

burlyman30
05-03-2013, 10:55 PM
Just wanted to report back that I am a bit sore. lol. I know my form was spot on, because my spinal erectors are sore, my lats are sore, my hips and glutes are sore, my quads are sore, as well as shoulders, tris, and chest. So many muscles are involved in a properly executed bench press. I'm also happy to report that my shoulder seems no worse for the heavy impromptu workout, either. That is a great thing!

burlyman30
05-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Well, after a long day of work, I headed off to the gym. When I got there, I was a bit hungry. This led me to think about what I had consumed for the day. In the morning, I had a protein shake with milk and yogurt in it. I went to the grand opening of the coffeeshop we just built and I had a cookie and a coffee drink.... umm... turns out that was all I had. I'm guessing all of about 600 calories for the day before I stepped in the gym. No wonder I was hungry. :mad:

Luckily I had some Peptopro and a canister of Tang in the car. I generally mix those together and consume pre/intra/post workout and I love the effect. The small amount of carbs helped keep my blood sugar sufficient for the workout.

That being said, I decided to just build on what I had done a week ago and see where it went. I was a bit more familiar with my abilities this time around (second bench workout) so my workout went as such:

Bar x 25 reps
135 x 5 reps
185 x 3 reps Oddly, my elbows were shaky at this weight this week, yet again.
225 x 1 rep
275 x 1 rep Felt smooth
295 x 1 rep Hard, but got it up. No spotters.

All the sets done for 5 reps and below are 2.5-3 seconds down, light touch on the chest, then drive up hard and fast.

In the course of the 295 going up, I arched really hard and my spinal erectors cramped up really badly. I laid on the bench for a while and then slowly sat up and remained seated several minutes while I got the cramping to dissipate with a little light stretching. Pretty sure my low back will be sore tomorrow after that ordeal.

If you are following my DL thread, then I am doing something similar here... I decided to drop the weight and just get used to the feel and up my reps a bit. I dropped to 225 (after I got the cramping to go away) and intended to do 3 sets of 5. First set went pretty easy and could have done 6. Second set, I may have gotten the 5th rep, but with no spotter, I shut it down at 4. By the 3rd set, I shut it down after 3 reps for the same reason and called the bench session over.

I proceeded to the dumbell rack and just went light with some flat bench flyes.

25s x 15
35s x 12
35 x 8, 25 x 6, 15 x 10 (drop set) Did 3 sets like this.

Doing drop sets for chest is something that I have never done prior to this year. I've done it for arms and delts... but never chest, back, or legs. I have to say that I really enjoy it at the end of a workout to gorge the chest with blood. My chest doesn't pump up all that well normally, but these work, even with very light weight.

I followed this by 3 sets of bodyweight dips for 15-25 reps each.

Followed all the above with an arm workout (bis and tris), but I won't detail that, since it has no bearing on the thread's subject matter.

Shoulder felt really quite good throughout the workout. Now (3 hours later), it seems a bit tender, but not injured. Just well worked and maybe "injury-prone" if I were to try to lift something again in the next 24-48 hours. But I have no intention of doing anything but allowing it to rest up. The sets at 225 really did exhaust my left shoulder, and it was easy to know when to shut it down.

Overall, I think my shoulder felt better during this workout than the last one. It felt more stable than last week. I'm really quite pleased about my shoulder. But I'm not out of the woods. Not by a long shot. For me, it's likely just a matter of time. However, I'll enjoy the good stuff while I can.

burlyman30
05-17-2013, 04:24 AM
Yesterday I was lifting a pressure washer out of my truck and even though I was doing a two-man lift, I pulled one of the strands on my left delt. It wasn't bad. It was more just extra tight on that one strand, and certainly not torn. I chose not to workout yesterday because of that, but decided to try it today and see how things went, knowing that I could dial it back at any moment.

I warmed up for a while prior to doing the bench workout. I had little choice. There was a guy monopolizing the power rack for his squats that were, no joke, 6" depth. He actually set the safety bars 6" below the rack he was lifting the bar from. After 30some minutes, I finally got a turn at the rack. At my network of gyms, they do not have bench press benches, so you have to use a flat bench in a power rack or a smith machine.

Even after warming up a lot with 5 lb plates doing therapy exercises pre-bench press, the shoulders needed more warming up, so I started with the bar..

Bar x 30
95 x 15
135 x 5 shoulder felt ok
185 x 3 shoulder felt a little off, but not in pain
225 x 1 felt great. I found my groove again.
235 x 5 went up no problem. could have done a couple more
235 x 5 felt real good.
235 x 5 first four were great, but number 5 was a bugger. but with a lot of oomph I got it up.

The 235 was chosen because it was 80% of my recent max of 295. Next week I will move to 85% and attempt to maintain the 5 rep scheme. Going from 80-85% will increase the weight from 235 to 250. I'm following the same protocol in my DLing thread

Thoughts: While my 295 max last week made me feel "strong", especially for just coming back to a lift, 235 x 5 seems a bit anemic to me. In the "good ol' days" I remember putting in a heavy bench workout (~275 x 6 for a few sets) and then at the end when I was tired out, I would rep out with 225 for 12-15 reps. However, my actual 1 RM was probably only 315 at the time. I'm not sure if that is just a matter of me having greater muscular endurance because I was younger, or if I had fewer fast twitch/strength-trained fibers back then, or something entirely different.

The rest of my workout concentrated on flat bench flyes with light weights and high reps, doing a few drop sets, followed by a few sets of parallel dips, followed by a tricep/bicep workout. I won't detail these since it has little to do with the thread. I did want to note that I was doing high rep stuff after the heavier workout. I do this instinctively, I think, to work different fibres, to create more blood flow, and to lessen any further strain on joints and tendons beyond the heavier stuff I am doing.

h2s
05-17-2013, 06:20 AM
I love your analytical approach to monitoring progress, really inspires me to start recording more.

olddawg
05-17-2013, 08:06 AM
I love your analytical approach to monitoring progress, really inspires me to start recording more.

but will you?

h2s
05-17-2013, 09:40 AM
but will you?

Yes, I used to do it often. The issue I had was strength is a shitty metric for me in terms of my goals. I am purely in for visual gains. I think taking a personal notepad of strength AND measurements might help me be focused.

burlyman30
05-17-2013, 09:47 AM

I remember reading that Frank Zane has a whole library of training logs that record every rep, set, and what supplements and food he had eaten that day. The logs go all the way back to the 60s. Now that is analytical!

This thread's purpose is really multi-fold. Obviously I'm recording my successes and failures here for myself, but it may have some value to others at some point. Also, I think a lot of forum members (Cobalt alluded to this) think that certain people are pushing huge amounts of weight and I thought an honest look at what a normal guy with some years behind him can or can't do might be interesting. Additionally, I figured that this could be a gathering point for all things bench press. Ideas can be discussed, different training programs rated, and PRs celebrated on all our bench press milestones.

olddawg
05-17-2013, 10:04 AM
burly maybe you will want to post that pic of your old log from when you were a teen, amazing that you still have that around.

hts, I've been meaning to get a white board for my gym, a big one so I can do just that, maybe tomorrow

burlyman30
05-17-2013, 10:10 AM
Yes, I used to do it often. The issue I had was strength is a shitty metric for me in terms of my goals. I am purely in for visual gains. I think taking a personal notepad of strength AND measurements might help me be focused.

Taking pictures every few months to correlate the numbers to the visual is also a good idea. The mirror is a great gauge, but since we see ourselves in it daily, unless changes are drastic, it is hard to see a lot of difference.

burlyman30
05-17-2013, 10:15 AM
burly maybe you will want to post that pic of your old log from when you were a teen, amazing that you still have that around.

hts, I've been meaning to get a white board for my gym, a big one so I can do just that, maybe tomorrow

Eventually I will post it, along with other old pics, in my profile. Just haven't gotten around to that yet. The only reason I still have it was because I stuffed it in one of my bbing photo albums. I used to take photos every few months in order to be able to translate what those numbers (measurements) really meant visually. For instance, I may have put 1/2 inch on my arms, but am I just fatter or are the muscles bigger?

burlyman30
05-24-2013, 01:08 AM
Well, things didn't exactly go according to plan.

Quite often, my workouts are preceeded by long work hours and sparse meals. Certainly not the ideal way to enter into a workout. And yet, I seem to pull out all the stops and do pretty well considering those conditions.

Today was a bit different. I will say that my left shoulder was a little hinky all day. It would hurt in certain positions, and stretching/mobility exercises seemed to help, but only temporarily. I, for once DID stay pretty well fed through the day and my workload was light-- I was home working on paperwork all day. So workload and diet were not the factor here.

My best benching was at another gym about 30 minutes away (there are Anytime Fitnesses all over this area). That bench and power rack (they never have bench pressing benches) were a good fit. The rack was could be adjusted to the right height and the bench was a good width and height. However, this is my second workout doing bench press at the particular location I was at tonight. And it felt "off" both times. Last week, I pulled it off. This week, my unracks felt so uncomfortable and akward that I spent quite a bit of time re stabilizing the weight and my entire body prior to the first rep.

I was hoping to do 5 sets of 5 while increasing my poundage by 15 lbs from last week. Whatever all the factors were, it was simply not to be. The rundown is below.

Bar x 40
95 x 12
135 x 5
185 x 5 as with every week, the set at this weight feels akward.
225 x 1 Felt so much better than the preceeding set.
250 x 3 Could have cranked out another, but my shoulder just didn't feel right so I shut it down.
250 x 3 Felt better on my shoulder than the preceeding set. More control and stability. 4th rep was a possibility but without a spotter it wasn't worth it.
250 x 3 after the second rep, I knew it would be tough but doable for the 3rd, so I muscled it up.

I think next week, I will plan to come back to this weight and see if the conditions that threw me off today are better next time. Also, I will be interested in how fast the CNS will respond to this load by the feel of the heaviness next week.

I have to say I was a bit disappointed today, but I know poundages can't go up linearly all the time. That being said, I don't think I could have possibly pushed up the 295 today that I did 3 weeks ago. Not based on how things felt today. So I'll give myself permission to be ok with it and hope to be in better synch in a few more days.

I finished off chest with flyes doing dropsets and parallel dips. I then worked Bis, Tris, and calves. Arms got an amazing pump today. Actually, my tris were very pumped during the bench workout. I'm thinking it was the dose of All-In. I decided to give that product a try and this is the second time I have had a chance to use it. Liking it so far, but holding back recommendations until I have more usage under my belt.

Sorrow
05-24-2013, 09:31 AM
Come back stronger and get it.

burlyman30
05-24-2013, 10:48 AM
Come back stronger and get it.

Thanks bud. I've never been a great bencher... I guess genetics just dealt me that card. Doesn't mean I can't keep pushing, though. ;)

O_RYAN_007
05-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Thanks bud. I've never been a great bencher... I guess genetics just dealt me that card. Doesn't mean I can't keep pushing, though. ;)

I've never been a great bencher either Burly. When I really wanted to get stronger in that area, I just pursued a relentless path to strength and form. Since the Strength competition over on Primordial that started last June, I started on this path... Over the course of this time, I've managed to move my max bench from 275-365#s!

I know you have some minor injuries, but I know over time you'll get to where you want to be. I'm sure of this.

burlyman30
05-24-2013, 03:54 PM
I've never been a great bencher either Burly. When I really wanted to get stronger in that area, I just pursued a relentless path to strength and form. Since the Strength competition over on Primordial that started last June, I started on this path... Over the course of this time, I've managed to move my max bench from 275-365#s!

I know you have some minor injuries, but I know over time you'll get to where you want to be. I'm sure of this.

You've done phenomenally well to up your bench by 90 lbs in that time period! Very cool! There was a lot of hard work involved in that increase, for sure. As for my injuries... they would probably be considered chronic rather than minor, but I deal with it as best I can while trying to not make things worse.

burlyman30
05-29-2013, 11:02 PM
Today went better than last week. Things felt more solid and stable in my shoulder. Everything felt better. I was almost falling asleep though, only minutes before I dragged myself off the couch in order to get to the gym. I knew I needed to get there, but I haven't slept much the last few nights, and I was just dog tired.

Bar x 20ish
95 x 12
135 x 12
185 x 5 as usual, this weight just feels heavier than it should, but it still felt so much more solid than last week.
225 x 2 felt great. in the groove. solid. stable. Made me confident for the upcoming weight.
250 x 5 felt good.
250 x 4 a fifth rep might have gone up, but not worth the risk
250 x 4 I would have stopped at 3, but a guy stepped over to spot me, so I pushed and got the fourth.
135 w/60# chains x 12 Guy that spotted me had chains fabricated and leaves them at this gym. Interesting feel, as I've never used chains before.
135 w/chains x7 I was wiped out, as my rep count will show.

Finished out chest with DB flyes dropsetted, and dips. Finished out workout with bis/tris/calves.

Since I nearly reached my goal of 3 sets of 5, and will probably be able to do all 3 sets of 5 next week, I am thinking that I will move up to 265, which should be 90% of my 295 max. Goal will be 3 sets of 3 reps and at this point I am thinking I will attempt to get that to 3 sets of 5 reps over a period of 2-3 weeks as my CNS accommodates the load.

Shoulder is feeling pretty good tonight after the workout. No pain. A little tenderness in certain positions, but feeling better than last week, overall.

olddawg
05-30-2013, 06:01 AM
nice work old man!

O_RYAN_007
05-30-2013, 08:13 AM
great work Burly! I really wish I had access to chains. I want to buy some, buy they can get really expensive. I have bands and they work really well, but I still want to try chains. I've been really thinking of getting a membership at Metro Flex here in Houston, since they have bands, chains, and other power lifting equipment. I think I might just have to do it.

burlyman30
05-30-2013, 08:23 AM
great work Burly! I really wish I had access to chains. I want to buy some, buy they can get really expensive. I have bands and they work really well, but I still want to try chains. I've been really thinking of getting a membership at Metro Flex here in Houston, since they have bands, chains, and other power lifting equipment. I think I might just have to do it.

The guy I talked with had these made instead of buying them premade. He went to the hardware store and got the biggest ones he could find (1/2" diameter) and found a metal tube to cut that was the right size to slide on the bar. A couple of welds and he was good to go.

olddawg
05-30-2013, 08:25 AM
the weight per lb for steel is quite high, that contributes to the cost. I'd imagine you could find them in an old scrap yard, maybe a junk yard on an old dump truck or something like that, rusty though but you'd still likely pay scrap steel prices for them

VayneZ
05-31-2013, 09:11 AM
Burly, you workout arms the same day as chest, correct? Since I recently changed my routine to arms the day ''before'' I do chest (which is today, and my triceps are sore as hell), It would probably be best to avoid exercises such as dips today right? Focus on them more on arm days?

burlyman30
05-31-2013, 10:48 AM
Burly, you workout arms the same day as chest, correct? Since I recently changed my routine to arms the day ''before'' I do chest (which is today, and my triceps are sore as hell), It would probably be best to avoid exercises such as dips today right? Focus on them more on arm days?

Dips might be ok, but go wider grip (if your gym has angled or adjustable bars) to focus the stretch on the chest. You can also focus on the lower half of the exercise, which keeps the tris out of the movement. I would not focus on adding weight to the exercise though. Just light and high reps. Throwing a little blood in your tris wont hurt you unless you are tearing down the muscle again.

JM1000
05-31-2013, 01:20 PM
Has work cleared up a bit for you? seems like you're getting in some pretty good sessions man!

JM1000
05-31-2013, 01:22 PM
I really wish I had access to chains.

Same here, wish I could train with badass chains, bands are ok too but chains look brutal hehe, they cost a fortune too

O_RYAN_007
05-31-2013, 01:40 PM
I could buy them, and I've thought about it... But I'd be carrying 120#s of chains with me into the gym! I'd def look like a MAJOR BAdass doing that ! LOL

burlyman30
05-31-2013, 02:34 PM
Has work cleared up a bit for you? seems like you're getting in some pretty good sessions man!

Workload is back down to the usual hectic schedule. Only 50-70 hrs a week now. I was only getting to the gym about 2x/wk but I've been in 3x this week so far. Might squeeze in another workout this week , even.

VayneZ
05-31-2013, 04:24 PM
Dips might be ok, but go wider grip (if your gym has angled or adjustable bars) to focus the stretch on the chest. You can also focus on the lower half of the exercise, which keeps the tris out of the movement. I would not focus on adding weight to the exercise though. Just light and high reps. Throwing a little blood in your tris wont hurt you unless you are tearing down the muscle again.

Good tip bro, I'll keep these in mind for next week! Thanks!

burlyman30
06-03-2013, 11:40 PM
This was supposed to be a deadlift day, but I'm giving my lower back a bit more recovery time from last week. I tweaked it a bit, for those of you not following that thread, and hope to hit it this week still. We will see.

Instead, I opted for chest/arm night, AKA National Beach Muscle Workout Day, being a Monday and all. :)

Things went well...

Bar x 20
95 x 12
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 2
245 x 1
265 x 3 could have done another, but stayed with my plan
265 x 3 shoulder seemed a bit sore after this set and I contemplated ending here, but with a bit of time (several minutes) it felt better.
265 x 3 The third one was pretty tough, but it never stopped moving upward.

Everything went very well. My plan is to attempt the same weight for sets of 5 next week. That may be asking a lot, but it's a goal, so I will just see how it goes. If I can hit 3 sets of 5 next week (or the following week), then I will move to 280 the following workout for sets of 3, which would be 95% of my last 1RM.

burlyman30
06-04-2013, 08:20 PM
24 hours later, I'm not too terribly sore. I bit, sure, but could be worse. However, my shoulder joints and surrounding tissues seem a bit inflamed/irritated and while the joint feels a little loose/unstable, I notice some of the delt muscles are tight. I'm taking the night off from the gym just to give the shoulder/rotator cuff a rest. I'm logging this to have a record I can look back on later to see if there is progression or regression of this issue.

O_RYAN_007
06-04-2013, 08:50 PM
24 hours later, I'm not too terribly sore. I bit, sure, but could be worse. However, my shoulder joints and surrounding tissues seem a bit inflamed/irritated and while the joint feels a little loose/unstable, I notice some of the delt muscles are tight. I'm taking the night off from the gym just to give the shoulder/rotator cuff a rest. I'm logging this to have a record I can look back on later to see if there is progression or regression of this issue.

Good feedback, and thanks for the updates.

burlyman30
06-05-2013, 12:15 AM
I think this is a great vid!

Myofascial release and Biomechanics for the forearm, tricep and shoulder - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b86HphITCs)

I finally reviewed this and a couple others from the same PTs. I knew my shoulder mobility was reduced, but until I actually tried to lift my arm overhead as in the video, I had no idea how much. I cannot get my arms straight up. At all. They veer forward at probably a 20-25 degree angle. Where the guy in the video could get his arm past his ear... mine is about where my nose is. :(

I think this is beyond my skills, as I don't think the stuff in the video is applicable in my situation. When I lift my arms up, it's not my tricep that's too tight. My pec major/minor isn't really keeping the arm from rising, either. It feels like the actual joint has a stopping point built inside it. There's no pain when I do that. It just stops. Both arms are about the same.

Sperwer
06-05-2013, 01:42 AM
I finally reviewed this and a couple others from the same PTs. I knew my shoulder mobility was reduced, but until I actually tried to lift my arm overhead as in the video, I had no idea how much. I cannot get my arms straight up. At all. They veer forward at probably a 20-25 degree angle. Where the guy in the video could get his arm past his ear... mine is about where my nose is. :(

I think this is beyond my skills, as I don't think the stuff in the video is applicable in my situation. When I lift my arms up, it's not my tricep that's too tight. My pec major/minor isn't really keeping the arm from rising, either. It feels like the actual joint has a stopping point built inside it. There's no pain when I do that. It just stops. Both arms are about the same.

Interesting. Although mine is clearly the result of two injuries - one in a helicopter crash and the other in an motorcycle accident, 20 years apart - I have a similar problem with my left shoulder. I can get it back a little farther than you, but it hurts like hell if I push it, and it makes it almost impossible to do DB Presses (unless the left is way forward). I was aware of all this because of the increasing stiffness and regular pain, but I really didn't appreciate its full extent until I saw my double biceps pose, where the right forearm is perpendicular to the floor and parallel to my body or even a bit to the rear, but my left arm is cocked forward about 15 degrees. Some of the informal pics also revealed just how round and stoop-shouldered I was/am if I'm not thinking about it. As I later learned. My head also was/is thrust forward about 17% from vertical.

This all led me to check out the office of a local chiropractor trained in NY, who also has some massage therapists and yoga and Pilates experts (who specialize in customized therapeutic/rehabilitative techniques in addition to the regular routines). He did a full body scan and exam, which was very revealing regarding the degree of shoulder, general thoracic and especially scapular immobilization I had/have - the result of the damage resulting from the previously untreated injuries, 20-40 years of unconscious compensatory adjustments and age-related calcification of the resulting bone structures and movement patterns.

Since I had a good feeling about the ability of this fellow and his crew to improve things, and I had some extra cash on hand, I signed on for 2 months of Pilates/Myofascial release massage/ chiro 3 times a week - basically to see what could be accomplished before the contest at the end of this month. The usual routine is an hour of very intense Pilates "stretching" followed by a 30 minute massage that targets the areas just worked along with any other obvious problem areas, then 20-30 minutes of (sometimes excruciating) chiro. The chiro is totally hands on - no machines - knows what I need and want and basically works on pulling apart all the muscle, connective tissue and bone adhesions at the very limit of what I can tolerate; I usually go in early in the morning before any other clients, because I invariably end up grunting and yelling in a way that probably would scare off the other clientele. The chiro says I have a very high pain threshold, and we now have a bet about whether he can actually make me cry - I say he can. LOL.

I'm now a month into it, and I am very happy with the results. My left shoulder mobility still is significantly limited, but improved. My posture is now naturally more upright, and after a little loosening up I can put the back of my head comfortably on the ground when I'm lying down on a hard surface (instead of using 2 Pilates blocks to hold it up). Scapular mobility is tremendously improved and is immediately apparent in the scope of the lat spread I can now produce w/out rounding my shoulders forward. General thoracic mobility also is dramatically improved, although there is still room for more work because of the locked down character of my mid-thoracic vertebrae. This morning we worked on my hips - basically a move that is almost a hip dislocation.

This also all is a great workout. I'm usually sweating bullets by the time it's over, and the energy expenditure is so high that I go into fat-burning mode. In order to test that last notion, the past couple of sessions,I've applied Dermatherm before going in. My experience with DT is that I feel nothing when I apply it, but later, when I've been working out or doing cardio intensely enough, it starts burning like all get out. It usually takes about 20-30 minutes of cardio to get the effect. I was there after 15 minutes of the Pilates stuff.

I encourage anyone with any hint of mobility problems to take a close look at these sorts of therapy, especially of you are holder or have had injuries. I wish I had done so at least 20 years ago, if not earlier.

burlyman30
06-05-2013, 04:08 PM
Really good info, Sperwer. However, the whole time I was reading all of that, one thought kept coming back to me: "Sperwer walked away from a helicopter accident... who does that?".

Sperwer
06-05-2013, 04:50 PM
Fortunately, we already were on the way in and only about 200 meters off the ground when the RPG took a chunk of the tail. The pilot also had some mad skills. I was more worried about getting shot than crashing, especially without being able to shoot back, but i guess the gunners thought we were goners and left us to our perceived fate. Everyone survived, but a couple of my guys were really banged up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

burlyman30
06-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Fortunately, we already were on the way in and only about 200 meters off the ground when the RPG took a chunk of the tail. The pilot also had some mad skills. �� I was more worried about getting shot than crashing but i guess the gunners thought we were goners and left us to our perceived fate. Everyone survived, but a couple of my guys were really banged up.

Forget about "Story Time with Burly"... it's time for "Storytime with Sperwer". Holy Mackerel, bud. Scary stuff. And while I'm at it, thanks for your service. Much appreciated.

My shoulder seems better today. Not 100% (it rarely feels that good), but not so inflamed and unstable. I'll be out of town and away from the gym all weekend, so the shoulder and the rest of the body will get a little extra rest and recuperation.

Sperwer
06-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Thanks Bud. We didn't get a lotta love back then

burlyman30
06-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Been a little busy, so was not able to update on my Thursday workout.

Since my back was sore, squats were out, deads were out, lats got worked the day before... So I decided to do my chest and arms again. It had been 3 days and everything felt recovered. Even my shoulder felt pretty decent. I wasn't sure how it would go, as I normally have more days in between the same workout, but figured I would give it a go and adjust on the fly.

Bench Press

Bar x 25
95 x 15
135 x 12
185 x 5 finally starting to feel less shaky at this weight
225 x 2 felt strong and solid
245 x 1 felt good
265 x 4 Pretty sure 5 would not have happened
265 x 4 Fourth one was very tough, but bar never stopped moving... just started going verrry slow.

Shoulder started feeling the weight and getting sore after the second set of four, and since I had already put in a full workout 3 days earlier, I called this sufficient for bench. Hoping to bump up the reps to sets of 5 at the same weight very soon.

I finished out the chest workout with something different, about 8 sets of flyes on the cable crossover, in two different positions. Light weight, high reps, and strict form. Burned like fire. Finished out the workout with bis and tris and calves.

burlyman30
06-13-2013, 01:22 AM
After a day of DLs, followed by a day of squats, I felt a bit tired today after working all day and not eating much, but I hit the gym anyway. I had to take in some simple carbs preworkout along with my All-In, just to keep the blood sugar from making me ravenously hungry. Once I got some of my PeptoPro/Tang mix in me, I felt a little better, too.

I felt tired because of the two heavy workouts the two days prior, but the shoulder felt half decent.

Bar x 20
95 x 12
135 x 10
185 x 5
225 x 2 felt good
245 x 1 felt good and strong here. Decided that the 265 x 5 x 3 goal would likely be a success, and so moved up.
280 x 3 felt good. Surprised myself when the third one went up. Back cramped a bit on the last rep, but stretched it out.
280 x 3 felt good. Confidence from the previous set helped. Again, #3 was tough, but went.
280 x 2 felt good. I had a spotter here, but didn't need him. #2 went up fine, but #3 would have been pretty questionable. 2 reps was good enough, considering the jump in weight this time around.

Next time around, I think I will try to mimic my previous strategy with 265, where I up the reps by one each week until nearing 5 reps for the sets and then increasing the weight on following week. If this trend continues as it has, this would put me at sets of 4 reps with the 280 and then upon the ability to do sets of 5, I would increase to 295 and drop back down to sets of 3. Keep in mind that 295 was my 1RM only about 6 weeks ago. I would extrapolate that to be approximately a 20-30 lb increase in strength at the 1RM level.

The rest of the workout went surprisingly well, considering my lack of food intake. Good pump. High rep flyes and dips to finish off chest, and bis/tris took a beating after that.

h2s
06-13-2013, 09:41 AM
Besides the cramping sounds like a great session.

burlyman30
06-18-2013, 01:22 AM
I won't bore you with a long report, but I did a bench workout that nearly mirrored the last one. I might have gone for a 4th rep on the first set if I had a spotter, but I didn't Overall, though, the weight felt very good, stable, and under control.

My shoulder was feeling pretty good today, too. I hesitantly say that there is a bit of healing going on with it, but it is definitely feeling better in the last few days.

burlyman30
06-20-2013, 11:44 PM
I toyed with the idea of a bench workout today, but seeing as I had done DLs, Back, and Delts yesterday, I wasn't sure how well it would go. Turns out... not so well. lol. Everything felt heavy and I stopped at 275 for a single. Could have done more weight or more reps, but not both, so I called it a day on benches and did some flyes and some dips. I'll come back stronger later and do what I gotta do.

burlyman30
11-25-2013, 10:29 PM
So here I am reviving another thread, 5 months later. LOL.

I have been doing only DB bench for the last 3 months or so (and there was a 2 month break from training prior to this) and I have worked up to sets of 8 with the 120s, which is where the dumbell rack stops. So this limits my ability to continue going heavy with this movement. I work chest twice a week, and usually do 120s on Monday and higher reps with the 100s on Thursday, but now that I'm running out of dumbells, I have decided to embrace the barbell again, once a week.

I started tonight, and it went pretty well. I was reminded how very different the DB and BB bench are from each other.

Bar x 20
95 x 10
135 x 8
185 x 6
225 x 3 3 seconds down, pause, and up
275 x 1 3 seconds down, pause, and up
300 x 1 3 seconds down, pause, and up

300 went up smooth, but I had to work. And my lumbar cramped up, so I stretched it out for a bit, and dropped to 225 for a set of 6.

My wife kept calling and interrupting the workout, so I finally ended up cutting it short, even though I had 2 more chest movements and some arms to do. I'll have to add arms to tomorrow's workout, I guess. :mad:

I notice my front delts and tricep definitely got a workout tonight, but no painful twinges in my shoulder -- Yay!

Sorry, no video tonight. Too distracted with the multiple phone calls and wanting to throttle my wife. :D Maybe next week if someone is around to do that.

weekend
11-25-2013, 11:28 PM
I know that feel with ladies calling during the workout. If my girlfriend calls in the middle I always fuckin answer out of habit but it ends up ruining my session!!! Gah!

Are you on tren now or just TRT?

burlyman30
11-25-2013, 11:43 PM
I know that feel with ladies calling during the workout. If my girlfriend calls in the middle I always fuckin answer out of habit but it ends up ruining my session!!! Gah!

Are you on tren now or just TRT?

TRT + 100/wk tren and just added in deca @200/wk for the old man joints. Also doing ghrp-2/mod GRF 4x/day. The healing and recovery of the peptides has been tren-like in my experience.

Sperwer
11-26-2013, 12:02 AM
Would increased test alone help the joints?

Because, my friend, trust me, you have no idea what OLD MAN joints are. 😢

burlyman30
11-26-2013, 12:14 AM
Would increased test alone help the joints?

Because, my friend, trust me, you have no idea what OLD MAN joints are. ��

Haha... ok, you win for old man joints on this forum. As far as test at TRT levels, I have not found it helpful for the joints. Possibly at higher levels where the resultant aromatization of estrogen might cushion and lubricate the joints. I really don't have experience using test in high doses for any length of time where I could assess that, but maybe someone else here could add to this.

I can't up my test levels at this time, as I keep getting bloodwork done every 2-3 months, but deca is a known performer when it comes to soothing dry or achy joints. And it doesn't take a lot. I've run it at 150/wk and gotten relief.

weekend
11-26-2013, 12:57 AM
nice, with those two 19 nors and the peptides that's a true blast!

no wonder tha gains.

watch out for tren causing a high e2 reading... not sure if myth but better safe eh.

- - - Updated - - -

do you notice a rebound when coming off the deca? or do you think it actually allows healing?

burlyman30
11-26-2013, 01:14 AM
nice, with those two 19 nors and the peptides that's a true blast!

no wonder tha gains.

watch out for tren causing a high e2 reading... not sure if myth but better safe eh.

- - - Updated - - -

do you notice a rebound when coming off the deca? or do you think it actually allows healing?

I keep the doses low. Just enough for desired effect. 100/WK tren enhances recovery and is good while on my maintenance calorie diet. Deca for joints and muscle fullness, but a high dose isn't needed. Peptides for additional healing and enhanced fat burning. Not sure I'd qualify this as a true blast because of the dosage levels... its more of a cruise in my mind.

On tren and e2... I get blood work done every 2-3 months and e2 is good. Part of my TRT protocol includes anastrozole 1mg EOD and raloxifene 60mg ED. This keeps me in range.

On deca... not a rebound, but a lessening of the lubrication, which is to be expected when you stop using it. But there's no "OMG my joints are killing me now" rebound. I do think that over time it can and will build/enhance connective tissue.

Sperwer
11-26-2013, 01:23 AM
This may be of interest:

https://www.facebook.com/SuppVersity/posts/673798609318959

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

weekend
11-26-2013, 01:29 AM
ah, i had heard that tren can be MISTAKEN for e2 on some blood tests. like your actual e2 is 10 and it still shows as 400. because of the tren

burlyman30
11-26-2013, 01:32 AM
This may be of interest:

https://www.facebook.com/SuppVersity/posts/673798609318959

Interesting, as this seems to contradict previous studies that showed the opposite effect. Definitely worth keeping an eye on this and future studies. I've always known that AAS are known for building muscle faster than tendon, but even naturally, we tend to build muscle faster than tendon. I've seen several studies that do show adaptive response of tendons in many different AAS, so while I won't discount this research you presented, it doesn't seem to "fit". I'd llike to see the full study to understand their research better.

- - - Updated - - -

ah, i had heard that tren can be MISTAKEN for e2 on some blood tests. like your actual e2 is 10 and it still shows as 400. because of the tren

Nope, doesn't happen. And you can take that to the bank. I've done bloodwork with tren at 100/wk and at 200/wk. Bloods look great.

weekend
11-26-2013, 01:45 AM
yeah i have read it's only certain labs... using the ECLIA method?

dunno though.

burlyman30
11-26-2013, 01:54 AM
yeah i have read it's only certain labs... using the ECLIA method?

dunno though.

Oh, ok... That could be, I suppose, if they have a different way of "reading" the presence of the estradiol metabolite. I think labcorp and quest are spot on, though.

Cobalt
11-26-2013, 07:32 AM
My wife kept calling and interrupting the workout

I know you're older and not up to par on these new fancy smart phones.... but they do have this thing called a power button that turns it off. ;)

burlyman30
11-26-2013, 08:27 AM
I know you're older and not up to par on these new fancy smart phones.... but they do have this thing called a power button that turns it off. ;)

Ha! Unfortunately, I have a business that requires me to leave the phone on 24/7. And as far as the wife... she's already half-cocked by nature... not being able to reach me would just piss her off more. Answering the phone is self preservation on my part. Lol.

weekend
11-26-2013, 08:45 AM
See, if I miss a call in the middle of the day she probably will figure out her problem on her own. She only calls in the middle of the day to either tell me something hilarious, ask something quickly, or freak the fuck out because life is so hard when you're about to have your period.

And mostly she just calls for the last one lol

Always better to not answer for the last one, seems like the upset-ness is very transient.

burlyman30
11-26-2013, 09:16 AM
Lol... arggh! women! I don't always like it, but I put up with her because she puts up with me.

h2s
11-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Lol... arggh! women! I don't always like it, but I put up with her because she puts up with me.

This quote is the foundation of man.

Jelisej
11-26-2013, 05:57 PM
Interesting, as this seems to contradict previous studies that showed the opposite effect. Definitely worth keeping an eye on this and future studies. I've always known that AAS are known for building muscle faster than tendon, but even naturally, we tend to build muscle faster than tendon. I've seen several studies that do show adaptive response of tendons in many different AAS, so while I won't discount this research you presented, it doesn't seem to "fit". I'd llike to see the full study to understand their research better.

Er, I may be wrong but I think we cannot grow tendons? Actually, I think size/lenght of tendons is on of crucial factors that determine how much muscles we can build?

burlyman30
11-26-2013, 06:30 PM
Er, I may be wrong but I think we cannot grow tendons? Actually, I think size/lenght of tendons is on of crucial factors that determine how much muscles we can build?

Tendons can grow thicker with stimulus. One of my main issues with winstrol usage is that while tendon thickening will occur, the way the extra tissue is "folded" as it is created does not make for a stronger tendon, but a more brittle one.

weekend
11-26-2013, 06:57 PM
^ :/

i plan on trying winstrol here for just a few weeks.

2 or 3 max.

hopefully using anavar and boldenone after will help repair, and i plan to give peptides a really good shot in PCT.

burlyman30
11-26-2013, 07:19 PM

2 or 3 max.

hopefully using anavar and boldenone after will help repair, and i plan to give peptides a really good shot in PCT.

For such a short duration, I don't see negative impact on tendons.

Jelisej
11-26-2013, 07:28 PM

2 or 3 max.

There should be no peptides in PCT. No proviron either.

Jelisej
11-26-2013, 07:32 PM
Tendons can grow thicker with stimulus. One of my main issues with winstrol usage is that while tendon thickening will occur, the way the extra tissue is "folded" as it is created does not make for a stronger tendon, but a more brittle one.

Can you give me some direction, links- I would like to know bit more about this....

BTW, proper whips were made from animal tendons, I think horses commonly- they were quite an weapon...

burlyman30
11-26-2013, 07:38 PM
Can you give me some direction, links- I would like to know bit more about this....

BTW, proper whips were made from animal tendons, I think horses commonly- they were quite an weapon...

Here's one regarding Winstrol...

J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1992 Mar;74(3):411-22.
Miles JW, Grana WA, Egle D, Min KW, Chitwood J.

Source

University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City.

Abstract
Twenty-four male rats were divided into four groups, with anabolic steroids and exercise as variables. Biomechanical tests and histological evaluations were performed. The results of the biomechanical tests suggested that anabolic steroids produce a stiffer tendon, which fails with less elongation. The energy at the time when the tendon failed, the toe-limit elongation, and the elongation at the time of the first failure were all affected significantly. Changes in the force at failure were not statistically significant. No alterations of structure were noted when the specimens were viewed with light microscopy. Alterations of the sizes of the collagen fibrils were noted on electron microscopy.

PMID: 1548269 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Full article in .pdf here: http://jbjs.org/pdfaccess.ashx?Resou...6&PDFSource=17

Jelisej
11-26-2013, 07:50 PM
Thanks, its bit tricky this one- mouse tendons :) ?
difference could not be seen with light microscopy, only with electron microscopy?

I know you are like bodybuilding central library, if you find something more, would like to see it...

Other thing is- thyroid hormones have an impact on tendons- when thyey are stiff it could be sign of deficiency... I think its T3, not sure tough...

burlyman30
11-26-2013, 08:09 PM
Thanks, its bit tricky this one- mouse tendons :) ?
difference could not be seen with light microscopy, only with electron microscopy?

I know you are like bodybuilding central library, if you find something more, would like to see it...

Other thing is- thyroid hormones have an impact on tendons- when thyey are stiff it could be sign of deficiency... I think its T3, not sure tough...

On Mice: To be fair, you aren't going to see a lot of human studies on this, since it requires cutting open the subject and forcing a tendon until it snaps. Not a lot of guys lining up for those types of studies. lol.

I'll see what else I can dig up for you.

weekend
11-26-2013, 08:23 PM
There should be no peptides in PCT. No proviron either.

Proviron is obvious though I recovered very well with it.

Why no peptides?!

burlyman30
11-26-2013, 08:29 PM
Effect of androgenic-anabolic steroids and heavy strength training on patellar tendon morphological and mechanical properties.
Seynnes OR, Kamandulis S, Kairaitis R, Helland C, Campbell EL, Brazaitis M, Skurvydas A, Narici MV.
Source
Norwegian School of Sport Sciences, Oslo, Norway. olivier.seynnes@nih.no
Abstract
Combined androgenic-anabolic steroids (AAS) and overloading affects tendon collagen metabolism and ultrastructure and is often associated with a higher risk of injury. The aim of this prospective study was to investigate whether such effects would be reflected in the patellar tendon properties of individuals with a history of long-term resistance training and AAS abuse (RTS group), compared with trained (RT) and untrained (CTRL) nonsteroids users. Tendon cross-sectional area (CSA), stiffness, Young's modulus, and toe limit strain were measured in vivo, from synchronized ultrasonography and dynamometry data. The patellar tendon of RT and RTS subjects was much stiffer and larger than in the CTRL group. However, stiffness and modulus were higher in the RTS group (26%, P < 0.05 and 30%, P < 0.01, respectively) than in the RT group. Conversely, tendon CSA was 15% (P < 0.05) larger in the RT group than in RTS, although differences disappeared when this variable was normalized to quadriceps maximal isometric torque. Yet maximal tendon stress was higher in RTS than in RT (15%, P < 0.05), without any statistical difference in maximal strain and toe limit strain between groups. The present lack of difference in toe limit strain does not substantiate the hypothesis of changes in collagen crimp pattern associated with AAS abuse. However, these findings indicate that tendon adaptations from years of heavy resistance training are different in AAS users, suggesting differences in collagen remodeling. Some of these adaptations (e.g., higher stress) could be linked to a higher risk of tendon injury.
KEYWORDS:
adaptation, bodybuilding, hypertrophy, tendon rupture, training

PMID: 23620489 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
MeSH Terms, Substances

burlyman30
11-26-2013, 08:38 PM
Tendon injuries induced by exercise and anabolic steroids in experimental mice.
Michna H.
Abstract
The purpose of this study was to examine the effect of anabolic steroid hormones and exercise training on skeletal tendons. Female mice were exercised for 1 and 10 weeks in an endurance running programme on a treadmill. The altered ultrastructure of tendons caused by simultaneously administered anabolic steroid hormone was investigated by electron microscopy. A stereoscopic analysis of collagen fibrils was performed in order to reveal the changes in the architecture of tendons and to quantify the extent of possible injuries to their functional structure. The occurrence of tendon injuries was detected by the appearance of a collagen dysplasia. The morphometric analysis of the degree of the collagen dysplasia in the different experimental groups reveals that it becomes even more conspicuous in the tendons of the mice which were both exercised and given anabolic steroids. The overall picture and the architecture of the tendons provide tentative evidence that anabolic steroid hormones may induce tendon injuries, depending on the duration of treatment. The direct effect of anabolic steroids on tendons has to be taken into account when considering the clinical disorders of tendons and ligaments which occur in high-class athletes.

PMID: 3610410 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Sperwer
11-26-2013, 10:50 PM

Geez, you guys from the East! :rolleyes:

I once participated in a whip-snapping contest in rural Poland with such a genuine whip. Not as easy as it sounds. And I definitely would not want to be on the receiving end.

Sperwer
11-26-2013, 10:57 PM
Back on the achey joints, I ran out of Aegis Achilles and Cissus last week and I am noticing real deterioration everyday, notwithstanding that I have a little hyalauronic acid still on hand that I am trying to stretch out until my new supplies arrive. I need to keep better inventory of my stash; it's grown so big I can;t manage it all in my head any more. Another sign of aging? On the other hand, I've also been doing a little swimming a couple days a week. It provides some significant relief, but so kick my ass that after an hour in the pool I need to take a nap.

burlyman30
11-26-2013, 11:04 PM
Back on the achey joints, I ran out of Aegis Achilles and Cissus last week and I am noticing real deterioration everyday, notwithstanding that I have a little hyalauronic acid still on hand that I am trying to stretch out until my new supplies arrive. I need to keep better inventory of my stash; it's grown so big I can;t manage it all in my head any more. Another sign of aging? On the other hand, I've also been doing a little swimming a couple days a week. It provides some significant relief, but so kick my ass that after an hour in the pool I need to take a nap.

Maybe the new company can come out with a joint product so you'll never have to wait for transcontinental shipping again. :rolleyes:

burlyman30
11-26-2013, 11:57 PM
Since this is my bench press thread, let me give a quick update.

My left shoulder was a bit tender today after last night's bench session, but didn't feel injured, so I went ahead with my back/delt workout. I backed off the weight on overhead presses, stopping at 145 instead of going to 205. Even the lower weight felt kind of heavy. I could have gone up, but chances are that would do more harm than good, so I stayed lower and still got a good workout.

Shoulder as of tonight is a little tender, but OK so far. I will be out of town for a couple days with the holiday, so some extra healing time for me.

burlyman30
12-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Shoulder was fine after a couple days. Until Saturday. After skipping a couple days because of the holidays, I hit the gym Saturday morning. I did a light chest/back/arms workout. When I say light, I mean light. Lat pulls nice and slow with 100 lbs. Cable crossovers with 20 lbs.

But my something happened during those crossovers that made my shoulder hurt for a few days. Monday I could not use DBs for benching... the 50s even hurt. So I went to a machine bench press with an angle that worked OK for me. Oddly, that workout seemed to reset my shoulder, as it has felt significantly better ever since.

I'm not out of the woods yet, so Thursday I'll see if I can handle dumbbells OK and if so, I'll start back to BB bench the following week.

weekend
12-04-2013, 03:54 PM
If I do cable crossovers with a fatigued back I actually get a pulled muscle around where you said yours pulled from deads.

burlyman30
12-04-2013, 04:00 PM
If I do cable crossovers with a fatigued back I actually get a pulled muscle around where you said yours pulled from deads.

Huh.. odd.

O_RYAN_007
12-04-2013, 05:57 PM
There's something about cable crossovers that doesn't play well with my shoulders anymore.

burlyman30
12-05-2013, 09:00 PM
This just in....

Burly just put up 315 strict with more gas still left in the tank.

I'll elaborate after I leave the gym, get fed, etc.

O_RYAN_007
12-05-2013, 09:14 PM
This just in....

Burly just put up 315 strict with more gas still left in the tank.

I'll elaborate after I leave the gym, get fed, etc.

NICE!!

weekend
12-05-2013, 10:49 PM
awesome.

what is your all time max and when's the last time you did 315?

burlyman30
12-05-2013, 11:38 PM
OK.... I hadn't intended to do BB bench today, but since my shoulders had felt unstable with DBs on Monday, I decided BB would keep me more protected from injury.

Started out light and honestly the weight felt heavier than I thought it should. Shoulders felt tight. However, I just kept making jumps in weight and as I got heavier, things loosened up and felt better.

Every set included cadence of 3 seconds down/touch/explode up...

Bar x 12
95 x 6
135 x 6
185 x 4
225 x 2
245 x 1
275 x 1
295 x 1
315 x 1
225 x 6
225 x 4

Did some high rep machine benching and dips to finish off chest.

burlyman30
12-06-2013, 12:21 AM
awesome.

what is your all time max and when's the last time you did 315?

It's been 20+ years since I could do this kind of weight. My shoulder has been so messed up for years it usually started hurting past 275. This summer I put up 295 and then I moved away from barbell for 5 or 6 months.

At my peak strength in my youth, I never maxed. But I did 6-8 reps with 275. So I'm not sure how that translates. I know that I could not do that many reps with that weight right now. I'm guessing 3, or 4 if everything was just right.

weekend
12-06-2013, 01:40 AM
I wouldn't call your shoulder too messed up if you're benching this much!

Sure it's messed up, but I know guys who have previously had the strength to bench nearly that much and can't do more than 135 without pain.

- - - Updated - - -

I want to rep out 315. 3x5. Think I can go from a 225 4 sets of 10 to 315 3x5 in 16 weeks? Lol

Sperwer
12-06-2013, 01:45 AM
It's been 20+ years since I could do this kind of weight. My shoulder has been so messed up for years it usually started hurting past 275. This summer I put up 295 and then I moved away from barbell for 5 or 6 months.

At my peak strength in my youth, I never maxed. But I did 6-8 reps with 275. So I'm not sure how that translates. I know that I could not do that many reps with that weight right now. I'm guessing 3, or 4 if everything was just right.

8x275 would yield a theoretical 1RM of 341.

I've been feeling like a slacker reading about the pounds people having been putting up. But now i don't feel so bad with my puny 275 1RM (actual). Haven't gone there in awhile, though, because i'm concentrating on aesthetics; but as I've been finding out with legs the key to separation and definition often is going heavy at the biggest weight you can manage for reps.

burlyman30
12-06-2013, 01:54 AM
I wouldn't call your shoulder too messed up if you're benching this much!

Sure it's messed up, but I know guys who have previously had the strength to bench nearly that much and can't do more than 135 without pain.

- - - Updated - - -

I want to rep out 315. 3x5. Think I can go from a 225 4 sets of 10 to 315 3x5 in 16 weeks? Lol

It's a tall order, but possible. 315 x 5 would be maxing maybe 365 if I had to guess.

On my shoulder... there are times I couldn't bench at all, and times I could. Right now, my shoulder is at 80%, which in my world means I can usually do a chest workout with minimal pain and no bad aftereffects from the training. It also means it can go wonky on me at a moment's notice.

burlyman30
12-06-2013, 01:57 AM
Thanks, Sperwer. I knew there was a formula out there. Just never bothered to look it up.

You are pushing some serious weight, brother! Very impressive, especially with all the obstacles you have had to jump through and over to get there.

Sperwer
12-06-2013, 02:00 AM
There's actually a free app - 1RM Calculator Lite.

Thanks, too, Burly. The example of you and other guys here keeps it real (ie humbling) and motivating at the same time.

burlyman30
12-06-2013, 02:25 AM
The example of you and other guys here keeps it real (ie humbling) and motivating at the same time.

I feel the same way.

burlyman30
12-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Shoulder feels pretty good today. Stiff/sore, but not injured/sore. In fact, my whole body is a little stiff after that workout. I had back/delts scheduled for today, but the body says I need another day. I'm going to listen.

Sperwer
12-06-2013, 06:36 PM
Shoulder feels pretty good today. Stiff/sore, but not injured/sore. In fact, my whole body is a little stiff after that workout. I had back/Delta scheduled for today, but the body says I need another day. I'm going to listen.

The voice of experience ...

burlyman30
12-11-2013, 12:58 AM
The voice of experience ...

Turns out, the next day came and I decided I was still a little stiff in the delts and decided to blow off the back/delt workout since I already hit them hard a few days prior.

Yesterday I brought my nieces husband to the gym. After the pointers I gave him on DLs a couple weeks ago which made a huge difference, he was hungry for some bench pressing tips. To be honest, I had forgotten how much fun it is to analyze and correct minor technique flaws and see the resulting difference. We got his arch and trajectory corrected, as well as the elbow tuck. He looked so much stronger and controlled afterward. And today he said his delts didn't feel wrecked like they usually do after bench.

Anyway, I did OK myself...

3 seconds down touch pause and explode up on all sets...

Bar x12
95 x 8
135 x 6
185 x 4
225 x 2
245 x 1
275 x 1
295 x 1
315 x 1 felt pretty easy, felt like I had quite a bit more in me
325 x 0 Not sure why this didn't go up, but I think I was just tired from all the previous sets. Felt great on the way down.

Sperwer
12-11-2013, 01:34 AM
Felt great on the way down.

Even without going THERE, this made me smile. Thanks.

burlyman30
12-11-2013, 01:36 AM
Even without going THERE, this made me smile. Thanks.

Haha.

VayneZ
12-18-2013, 06:37 PM
Burly, on the attempt for 325 did you feel pain in your shoulder? Or you just ran out of power overall?

burlyman30
12-18-2013, 07:02 PM
Good question. No pain. Just worn out, I think. It went up about 3-4 inches and just stopped. I had my spotter just help me up with it instead of trying too hard and hurting myself.

Sadly, a day later I had to fix a broken water line at my 4plex and while torquing on the pipes, I hurt my shoulder. I knew it would happen, but I just had to get the work done and get water service back to the tenants. I let it rest several days and today I went up to 245, but there was pain so I went no higher.

AndroMinded
12-23-2013, 08:55 PM
Good question. No pain. Just worn out, I think. It went up about 3-4 inches and just stopped. I had my spotter just help me up with it instead of trying too hard and hurting myself.

Sadly, a day later I had to fix a broken water line at my 4plex and while torquing on the pipes, I hurt my shoulder. I knew it would happen, but I just had to get the work done and get water service back to the tenants. I let it rest several days and today I went up to 245, but there was pain so I went no higher.

I know that feeling when you just know ur gonna mess some shit up. Terrible haha

burlyman30
12-23-2013, 11:40 PM
Slowly working my way back up. Shoulder is healing, but maybe at 65-70%. Last week I stopped at 245 because of the pain. This week I went to 285 and much less pain.

Bar x 12
95 x 8
135 x 5
185 x 2
225 x 1
245 x 1
265 x 1
285 x 1
225 x 4
225 x 3

All reps were 3-4 count on the way down, pause, explode up.

Cobalt
12-24-2013, 10:52 AM
Numbers are looking good.

Just curious, was it wise to do explosive movement with a hurt shoulder? I'd just think that rapid movement would increase the chance to hurt it more.

You obviously know what you are doing, I'm just curious about your decision.

burlyman30
12-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Numbers are looking good.

Just curious, was it wise to do explosive movement with a hurt shoulder? I'd just think that rapid movement would increase the chance to hurt it more.

You obviously know what you are doing, I'm just curious about your decision.

Excellent question. I'm keeping the shoulder in mind and probably exploding at 80%. Today the shoulder feels worked but not injured. I think I'm on the right path so far.

h2s
12-27-2013, 08:47 AM
Excellent question. I'm keeping the shoulder in mind and probably exploding at 80%. Today the shoulder feels worked but not injured. I think I'm on the right path so far.

I may have missed it earlier, but any post workout treatment of the area?

burlyman30
12-27-2013, 09:08 AM
I may have missed it earlier, but any post workout treatment of the area?

Good question. I think I mentioned not in this thread but in another about my search for analgesic treatments. Initially they were for my bicep tendinitis, but I found it useful on my shoulder as well. A preworkout treatment of absorbine horse liniment seems to draw more blood into the area and keep it loose. I often follow this up with a post workout treatment of the same liniment.

If the shoulder feels injured, then I pull a package of frozen veggies from the freezer and apply to my shoulder in 10 mins on/10 mins off increments for a couple hours post workout.

Sorrow
12-27-2013, 09:22 PM
Yeah linaments work great! But I tend to feel too loose if I use them pre workout. But its a good thing after the fact. I also recomend the ice pack for ten like your doing but finish up with a heating pad on the area for the same 10 min then ice one final time. Tends to help me flush out the muscle I think. Works well on my knees. But it seems to be different for each person. But sounds like your on the right track. I'm sure you'll be 100% before long

burlyman30
12-27-2013, 11:06 PM
I'd settle for 90%. :cool:

burlyman30
12-30-2013, 11:02 PM
Did a bench workout tonight...

Things are healing up, which is great. Not 100%, but 80ish%. Slowly moved up the weight to test things out. Made it to 300, which went up pretty easy, and felt better than my top weight of 285 last week. But I wanted to be careful, so I went no further.

3-4 count down, pause, explode on all sets.
Bar x15
95x8
135x5
185x2
225x1
245x1
265x1
285x1
300x1

Looking forward to seeing how things go next week.

burlyman30
12-31-2013, 12:16 AM
Took this pic tonight after the workout. Too bad Nate isn't into older dudes, cuz I was starting to really warm up to him...

http://www.imgur.com/UF1hzkb.jpeg

nate3993
12-31-2013, 12:39 AM
Call me about 20 years ago lol

- - - Updated - - -

But for real. U got an impressive ass physique. Congrats man

burlyman30
12-31-2013, 12:58 AM
Call me about 20 years ago lol

Hahaha. Nice comeback.

But for real. U got an impressive ass physique. Congrats man

Thank broski. Still a ways to go to "reclaim the past", but I'm working on it.

Cobalt
12-31-2013, 08:00 AM
impressive ass physique

But his shorts are on :confused:

Maybe there is more going on behind the scenes that we don't know about!?

hardestgainer
12-31-2013, 01:35 PM
Looking good Burly

h2s
01-02-2014, 12:25 PM
Looking impressive my man, making me feel like I am lagging.

Jack O'Neill
01-02-2014, 02:11 PM
Really impressive Burly !

BBG
01-02-2014, 02:13 PM
Looking small Burly you better step it up.

burlyman30
01-02-2014, 08:01 PM
Looking small Burly you better step it up.

Haha. Love it. Still working on getting my triceps to be as thick as yours!

burlyman30
03-27-2014, 09:18 AM
Just a quick update. I started feeling that nagging pain in my shoulder again, but not severely, so I was being careful and not going gung ho. A couple weeks back I went up to 295 and though it was maybe 90% of my capability, I stayed there and did 5 sets of singles just to practice form. Interestingly, each successive set felt better as I hit my groove.

I haven't used peptides for a while, so the last couple weeks I've been using them 2x/day again to help heal up the shoulder and it seems to be working well.

This week I worked my way back to 315 and did 2 sets of competition style singles. Both went up without a hitch.

VayneZ
03-27-2014, 06:11 PM
Nice to see your back to 315 and feeling good. You believe that taking awhile off of the peptides and then starting again might've made things better as compared to how your shoulder was back in late 2013?

burlyman30
03-27-2014, 06:39 PM
Nice to see your back to 315 and feeling good. You believe that taking awhile off of the peptides and then starting again might've made things better as compared to how your shoulder was back in late 2013?

I think if I had stayed on them my shoulder would have remained healthier. However, I was getting carpal tunnel pretty bad. Thankfully, that went away a couple months after I stopped using the peps.