PDA

View Full Version : Got a DUI

tallstraw
05-05-2013, 11:49 PM
Just need to vent. My buddy is PCS'ing to a different duty station. So I went out drinking with him. I havent drank in a while, I swore it off. I blacked out one weekend, and did some stuff I'm not proud of. I found out some news about some other stuff, which wrecked my world. Then my banking institution canceled my wrong debit card, and I've been without access to money for like 1.5weeks. Last night we went out. I was drinking, but not much, and just beer. Went to an EDM club so I was jumping and moving/sweating constantly. So I was partially drinking just to have soemthing in my hand, and the other part I was thirsty. Well, when it was time to leave, I felt pretty buzzed. He couldnt drive, our other buddy doesn't have a license, and the other one did, but couldn't drive a manual. So I told him lets wait until I'm clear headed, and good to go. Sat, in the car, and smoked a cigarette, felt pretty good after a decent bit of time. So we drove to the food stand we always go to. I got a mexi dog, and waited around to be served for another few bits. Ate it in the car, and felt almost completely sober, 90%. Then we left. I drive a sports car, so when I get up in the powerband, you hear it, and can feel it quite easily. Hitting 80mph, is about 3k rpm's for me, which is when my exhaust resonates, my engine starts roarin, and you know you're moving. My buddies dodge dart is bone stock, no cruise control or anything. Geared much larger, 80mp, is about 2.4k rpm's for him. It's the little 2.0l engine. So paired up they don't accelerate fast at all. But they accelerate ever so easily that you don't notice it. It happened when I was driving out there, and had to catch myself often. Then on the way back, I realized it again, and had to correct myself often. I was pointing out all the drunk drivers to my buddy, and the ones swerving on the road. I was fine.But one time when the car got away from me again. I hit 79mph, I normally drive about 70 on the 60mph highway. This time a cop was behind me, and turned his lights on. I couldn't see anything behind me, or to my right, other than the light of another car. So I did what seems logical to me, and pulled over 2 lanes to the left and then puleld onto the left shoulder. He didn't like that, and immediately brought that up first when he came to the window. Everyone must take drivers ed in MD, but in WA, above age 21, you do not. So I did not know this law that you're supposed to pull to the right side. Common sense says to me go to the closest/most easily accessed shoulder. He asked me about my speed, and informed me I was doing 79. Then asked me to step out of the car, and gave me FST. Walk a straight line counting the 9 steps outloud, then completeing a U-turn, while keeping 1 foot planted, and counting 9 steps back, and another u turn. Then stand on 1 foot, and raise my other one up 6 inches toe pointing forward and watching my foot. I did this without swaying anymore than normally acceptable by the planted foot rolling inside to outside to keep you balanced. My foot wasnt 'high enough', so he wanted it higher. Did that with no problem as well. Then did the pen trick, had to follow it with my eyes. I know how to tell when I'm drunk because I try to look at soemthing off to a corner of my eye, and see if they bounce. I noticed no bouncing of my eyes, and this test was taking place over a period of like a minute or so, like he couldn't decide for himself if it was ok or not. When we got to the station I blew a .07. The was released after signing paperowkr, and taking their breathylyzer. I was given no tcket, no citation, just a sheet with my results on the Breathylyzer, the impound slip for my buddies car, and a ride home. Where we did no less than 80 on the highway the entire time, and no he didn't have his lights on, most of the time we were up around 90. This is depressing as fuck it all comes at one time. Shit feels like it's closing ina round me. Life was going great, I finally felt fully recovered from my last cycle, was performing great in the sack, felt alpha non stop. I was in a great state of mind, being and life. Then this happened. Im talkign to lawyers now, for free consults and seeing what my options are, since I was under .08, they have to prove I was driving impaired. The state trooper told the people in the car he didn't stop me under suspiscion of drunk driving. I wasnt swerving or anything. I was just blazing trails. I never thought this would be me. The $1k flat fee for dui lawyers is the cheapest I've seen so far.. :/

I needed to vent soemwhere. I don't wanna burden my girl, or my family. I told my mom, but thats it. I feel like this is a healthy outlet for me. I've been depressed for a few weeks since these events started happening. Then when this happened last night. I seriously contemplated suicide. I'm over it now. But I figured it'd be rank taken, extra duty, money taken, and then a dishonorable discharge, and my life was over. I really thought for an hour like there was no way out. I still feel like it's all closing in around me. But I'd never be so selfish, or cowardly to kill myself.

burlyman30
05-06-2013, 12:12 AM
Life is full of ups and downs, bud. 6 years ago I was pulling in a healthy six figure income and felt like the world was my oyster. Then, in about an 18 month period I lost almost a million bucks. I didn't know what I was going to do. I was bleeding money from every account. Part of me wanted to just board a plane, go somewhere I couldn't be found, and start over. But I knew that if I could get through that situation somehow, I would be smarter, stronger, and better for it. I didn't know how I would, but I just took it week by week, month by month. It has taken some time, but I am finally turning things around for the better again.

I tell you my story because 1) I want you to know you are not alone when crappy things happen and turn your life upside down and 2) that the only thing that is constant in life... is change. Things will change, and they will get better. You WILL get through this season and you will learn from it and be smarter, stronger, and better for it.

weekend
05-06-2013, 12:16 AM
bro, this will turn out fine in the end. i have had 7 moving violations... been pulled over drunk too many times without getting caught. these days i try harder, but i've put a lot of money into speeding tickets.

don't even think about suicide over this... you have a girlfriend who cares about you, and parents family friends, are you getting discharged? even if you are, i'd consider that a blessing, as i think the army is a pretty bad place to be if you want to avoid injury and death...

time to not drink and drive, time to stop speeding. i used to tell myself i didn't know i was going that fast... but i knew, i just loved going fast... until i almost died totaling my car.

anyway, i hope this works out in the end for you and please look on the bright side of things. this could be the reason you're alive, what if you kept going 90 or 100 and hit something cause one of your bros did something funny... you could be dead.

tallstraw
05-06-2013, 07:45 AM
Im not getting discharged, but if charged and found guilty of a DUI. It most likely would be a good possibility. Which would be a dishonorable discharge or something, which would ruin my life forever. The Army is that bad, it really has it moments, but overall, I'm very satisfied with my choice. I drive fast all the time in my car, just never in anyone elses. His car just got away from me for a minute. I hope this gets knicked down. I don't wanna lose my GI Bill benefits. I was really trying to go to college after this. Or open up a dispensary, since it is about to become a booming business in WA.

I've been in trouble and down before. But never any real trouble or anthing. Now I have legitimate troubles piling on like every week it's something new. It's a lot to handle. I'm going to choose my lawyer very soon, and see what my options are.

burlyman30
05-06-2013, 07:55 AM
Im not getting discharged, but if charged and found guilty of a DUI. It most likely would be a good possibility. Which would be a dishonorable discharge or something, which would ruin my life forever. The Army is that bad, it really has it moments, but overall, I'm very satisfied with my choice. I drive fast all the time in my car, just never in anyone elses. His car just got away from me for a minute. I hope this gets knicked down. I don't wanna lose my GI Bill benefits. I was really trying to go to college after this. Or open up a dispensary, since it is about to become a booming business in WA.

I've been in trouble and down before. But never any real trouble or anthing. Now I have legitimate troubles piling on like every week it's something new. It's a lot to handle. I'm going to choose my lawyer very soon, and see what my options are.

One thing you got wrong in this statement is where you said "It would ruin my life forever". Do you have any idea how many people have been through much worse and come out of it better in the end? This is not the end of the world. If it happens, it happens, and that'll suck. But on the other end of that is another open door to a myriad of opportunities. There's a saying I picked up many years ago: "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade". So do what you can to rectify your situation, but if it doesn't turn out the way you hoped, then move on to greener pastures. They are everywhere.

Fat Bill Dwyer
05-06-2013, 07:56 AM
Bro, you can't make E-9 without at least 1 DUI. I'm pretty sure it's in AR 600-1.

Scope75
05-06-2013, 09:41 AM
One thing you got wrong in this statement is where you said "It would ruin my life forever". Do you have any idea how many people have been through much worse and come out of it better in the end? This is not the end of the world. If it happens, it happens, and that'll suck. But on the other end of that is another open door to a myriad of opportunities. There's a saying I picked up many years ago: "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade". So do what you can to rectify your situation, but if it doesn't turn out the way you hoped, then move on to greener pastures. They are everywhere.
X2 and very true...

I've got 2 DUIs and I'm doing petty damn good.
Both DUIs came at shitty times and 17/24yrs. Both DUIs caused me to lose or quit my job and the last job I quit I would be the shop manager/foreman by now and running things but I'm now working for myself and doing better than ever. Long story short DUIs aren't all that big of a deal and you'll probably get a wet and reckless because you didn't blow a .08+

xxiv
05-06-2013, 11:57 AM
One thing you got wrong in this statement is where you said "It would ruin my life forever".

x3, yeah it sucks and it is going to cost you in the short run but you have one thing to especially grateful for.... no one was hurt. There was no accident involved, no failure to stop, no drugs or stolen property.... it was a simple speeding stop that turned into a dui that will be bumped down to impared with a little comunity service. It sucks but it's really no biggie and they dont do you dirty with a dishonorable for minor shit.

LBC-83
05-06-2013, 12:02 PM
So I've been debating on posting here for a few hours now and decided to do it.

Tallstraw this is NOT directed towards you in ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM. I do not know you and will not judge you.

Dwyer/Scope,

You really shouldn't be minimizing what has occured. He made a mistake that night, he could have killed someone and it certianly isn't something to downplay or say it isn't a big deal. He is blessed to not have seriously changed his life or someone else's life.

Tallstraw,

I just hope this opened your eyes.

O_RYAN_007
05-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Life can certainly be worse. One night after my senior prom while at a party at my house, 3 state troopers came to my front door and rang the doorbell. My parent were home, so we hid the keg and my dad answered the door; he went out alone. After a few minutes talking with the troopers outside, he came back in with a look of Death on his face. The troopers had just let know dad my that his eldest son (my brother and best friend) was just killed in a car accident 5 minutes from the house. My dad just broke down to his knees crying at my feet, and I had to idea what had happened. He eventually told us all what had happened when he stopped his crying and screaming.

It's going to be 10 years since Ryan passed away on May 18th. I sit here thinking of the good old time we had together. Most great, some bad, but ALL remembered and never forgotten. I went through a very difficult time of depression and drug abuse during that time, but my faith in the Lord, my family and friends made things much more bearable. I still morn my brothers death, but I know he's in a better place waiting for us all to reunite again.

What I've learned from this all is that you can't sweat the small stuff. Love your family, cherish the good and the bad, for all these experiences will make us stronger.

Peace,
RRR

JM1000
05-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Glad no one was hurt, one of my buddies lost his license for 3 years for his second DUI. He learned his lesson and no one was hurt. I'm sure you will bounce back like my friend did. Wishing you all the best!

DJM
05-06-2013, 01:27 PM

Tallstraw this is NOT directed towards you in ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM. I do not know you and will not judge you.

Dwyer/Scope,

You really shouldn't be minimizing what has occured. He made a mistake that night, he could have killed someone and it certianly isn't something to downplay or say it isn't a big deal. He is blessed to not have seriously changed his life or someone else's life.

Tallstraw,

couldnt agree more
friend of my brother's just passed, drunken car accident, no one hurt tho......not the first time the dude played with fire......hope you learned from this tallstraw, at the end of the day drunk driving doest show much maturity or care for anything

longBallLima
05-06-2013, 01:33 PM

Dwyer/Scope,

Tallstraw,

LBC, same place here. didn't wanna sound like i was beating a guy while he was down and i hope straw figures out everything that is affecting his life negatively. That being said, the whole "no biggie, i got a DUI" is not something i personally subscribe to. I would think most people affected by drunk driving would have similar feelings.

straw, things will get better, bro. Better fortune will come and then it'll go again. What you have control over is better choices.

You're young, there's very little you won't have time to bounce back from. The longer you do the "adult thing" the more real problems you'll have. the good thing is, you also only get better at handling those issues.

islandmagic
05-06-2013, 04:03 PM
I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow. I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he-she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights. I've learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents, you'll miss them when they're gone from your life. I've learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life. I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance. I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back. I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision. I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one. I've learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back. I've learned that I still have a lot to learn

O_RYAN_007
05-06-2013, 08:23 PM
I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow. I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he-she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights. I've learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents, you'll miss them when they're gone from your life. I've learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life. I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance. I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back. I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision. I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one. I've learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back. I've learned that I still have a lot to learn

I like this a lot. Great words brother!

Enuke65
05-06-2013, 08:56 PM
Did you actually get charged or get a citation?

Fat Bill Dwyer
05-07-2013, 07:01 AM
I'm not trying to minimize it, just trying to put it in perspective.

.07 is below the legal limit of .08 where I live, and probably where you're at too. Driving after a beer or two isn't a moral failing that should make you re-examine your entire life. Don't beat yourself up over something petty.

With things like this it is best not to worry about what might happen, and instead focus on what you can actually make happen. All that stressing out is going to do is put you in a catabolic state.

tallstraw
05-07-2013, 08:59 AM
Did you actually get charged or get a citation?

Yeah, when I've had time to calm down, and talk with lawyers it's getting easier. My SGM shrugged this off because I was below the limit. They have a patsy who blew way high and she's being made an example of. Most DUI's are punished severely here, idk how it is at any other bases. My 1SG shrugged it off because my SGM did, and left it up to my NCOIC. My NCOIC is making me do a substance abuse and alcohol presentation for the shop. I wasnt given any citation, or charge, and don't think I have been. I was given the impound receipt, and a copy of my breathylyzer results. From what lawyers are telling me. They DOL shouldn't be going after my license so I should be okay, and the DA or something, will decide if they wanna make a case of me, based off the BAC, my demeanor, the way I was driving, the Trooper's notes and account of things, and any audio and video of the event. Almost every lawyer told me that whenever the video, or audio is something that would exonerate or be a big part of a dismissal, is needed. It's always damaged, or missing. However if they have a video or audio 9/10 times, the client looks like crap and it's a big help for the prosecutor.

Fat Bill Dwyer
05-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Can you hear that? That's the sound of shit blowing over. Keep your head down until it's gone.

tallstraw
05-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Will do, I'm gonna voulunteer for yhr drunk van for a few weekends. Do the ASAP alcohol course, and try to use that as good measure on my part incase it does go to court.

Fat Bill Dwyer
05-07-2013, 06:53 PM
Will do, I'm gonna voulunteer for yhr drunk van for a few weekends. Do the ASAP alcohol course, and try to use that as good measure on my part incase it does go to court.

Look at you helping your buddies out! What a great guy.

Turbo6GN
05-11-2013, 08:22 AM
It won't go to court, the system is clogged with over .08's and all other kinds of shit. You'll probably come out of this OK, keep your head up and count yourself lucky you didn't hurt yourself or anyone else. Blowing .07 is more then one or two casual beers, especially for a bigger dude like yourself. You sound like you're doing better mentally so that's what counts right now. Lesson learned.