PDA

View Full Version : Routine for a young boy 15

Jack O'Neill
05-10-2013, 09:47 AM
I used to manage my workout routine and my diet since several years now and I begin to be fine with it.

My son would like to start training. New passion in watching me training :)

He is 15 175cm. Will be like me in 2 years to my mind : about 185-190cm, 6'15

Can he start training now though he doesn't reach its adult height ?

If yes what kind of workout routine would advice me and what kind of diet?

Thanks for your help.

Edit. In a natural way of course :rolleyes:

Rodja
05-10-2013, 09:55 AM
He's old enough to start training. Starting Strength by Rippetoe would be a great place to start.

Jack O'Neill
05-10-2013, 10:11 AM
He's old enough to start training. Starting Strength by Rippetoe would be a great place to start.

Don't know Rippetoe? Could you explain? Do you have a link?

Thx Rodja

burlyman30
05-10-2013, 10:18 AM
I started training at 14 and I was still growing. It is fine and healthy for him to do so. Obviously not the exogenous hormonal part. He has all the natural hormones he needs to build muscle right now. Rodja's recommendation for Rippetoe is a good one. Start there.

Diet-wise, he's a teen, so I'm guessing he eats a lot of junk? Just introduce regular protein-based meals into his life. Even with the worst diet, he will start to make gains. Youth is on his side. Maybe as he sees the improvements he will want to take the nutrition more seriously, too.

LBC-83
05-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Just google Starting Strength. Without looking I'm sure there will be loads of hits.

Jack O'Neill
05-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Just google Starting Strength. Without looking I'm sure there will be loads of hits.

That's right.

I just wanted objective advices from Swole

Jack O'Neill
05-10-2013, 02:48 PM
I found required info on the web. Thx Google and thanks to you all for your help

pman42
05-10-2013, 10:05 PM
if i could go back in time to see my teenager self, i'd first beat the shit outta him (me) then teach him (myself) how to train properly. heavy, heavy workouts with a big focus on compound lifts. squats, deadlifts, military presses. no focusing on bodyparts for the majority of workouts, just focus on strength. and food, lots of it. real food like eggs and meat and fish. don't waste money on stupid NO Nano Pump. spend money on food. have fun with the workouts, but work hard. and on off days, just recover. don't try to do kung fu and 20 mile bike rides on top of it.

your son can safely train with just food and basic supplements and make gains for years. i'd recommend for a kid his age a basic multivitamin to make sure he's getting all his bases covered. omega 3s, too, if he doesn't get em from diet. then when he progresses a bit maybe a protein powder and creatine supplement

Jack O'Neill
05-10-2013, 11:34 PM
Thanks Pman, good advice!

Basic exercices such as squat, deadlift, bench press is what is adviced inthe strength method too (see previous posts)

My son doesn't eat bad and it's already a very good thing. He eats meat or fish in each meal.

I will see how he reacts with the actual food.

I'm happy that my son wants to follow my way. I personally started very late in my 35. He is only 14 1/2. Cool thing :)

burlyman30
05-10-2013, 11:53 PM
It's pretty cool that he wants to even hang with his dad, to be honest. Teens don't always want to do that. This could be a pretty great bonding time between father and son as well as all the benefits he will get out of it physically. My dad and I didn't have the same interests until much later on in life. It would have been a cool thing to have a dad who supported and wanted to help me with physical fitness. Your son is blessed to have you helping him.

Sperwer
05-10-2013, 11:54 PM

I second this. It's the first and best book I've run across with a compelling account of the mechanics for anyone who wants or needs to have an explanation that they can sort through themselves as a supplement/alternative to hearing it from a "trainer", who these days may or may not know what they are talking about. I recently gave my original copy to a very good friend's 15 year old daughter, who has decided she is a boy, and she is eating it up along with the weights.

WHC
05-11-2013, 07:53 PM
Definitely get Starting Strength. Also remember this rehab protocol for injuries:

Bill Starrā€™s Rehab Protocol Strength Training Blog (http://www.daddystrength.com/2010/03/bill-starrs-rehab-protocol/)

Bill starr Rehab (http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?t=21094&page=1)

pman42
05-11-2013, 10:11 PM
Teenagers today need something like weight training or martial arts, something that is about growth and self-discovery. there is no lies when it comes to squatting or pressing, either you can or cannot. think arnold said something like this. training will focus the mind on the internal as much as the external, which is good. it will lead to discipline and self-respect (ideal case scenario). going out drinking or driving cheaply modded cars, while fun, doesn't really contribute much to their development as human beings

I am very glad I discovered weight training. without getting too personal, it has gotten me through some very dark days. days when i thought i didn't think i'd be able to carry on. but always, there was the iron, solid and reliable. and as i came up out of a max effort squat the weight of the world didn't seem so much anymore.

burlyman30
05-11-2013, 11:46 PM
Teenagers today need something like weight training or martial arts, something that is about growth and self-discovery. there is no lies when it comes to squatting or pressing, either you can or cannot. think arnold said something like this. training will focus the mind on the internal as much as the external, which is good. it will lead to discipline and self-respect (ideal case scenario). going out drinking or driving cheaply modded cars, while fun, doesn't really contribute much to their development as human beings

I am very glad I discovered weight training. without getting too personal, it has gotten me through some very dark days. days when i thought i didn't think i'd be able to carry on. but always, there was the iron, solid and reliable. and as i came up out of a max effort squat the weight of the world didn't seem so much anymore.

So much truth here, and I can identify with it on multiple levels.

Grape Ape
05-12-2013, 05:12 PM
I'd agree that the weights helped keep me sane and happy in the times where my life was crumbling.