PDA

View Full Version : Protein Bars...Who uses them?

PNMike
05-10-2013, 07:57 PM
Been traveling and slammed with work so much, that ive been forced to grab protein bars here and there. I wanted to put some words down on some ive tried and my thoughts. PLEASE UNDERSTAND, THESE REVIEWS DO NOT REPRESENT ANYTHING PN...THIS IS ALL ON ME AND NOT A REFLECTION OF ANYTHING ON THE COMPANY I WORK FOR.

Supreme Protein Bars - Taste great, loaded with fat and sugar alcohols. More of a snack with protein than a protein bar.

Muscle Milk Bars - Uhhhh, GARBAGE..Taste like bricks

2:1 and 6:1 Protein Bars by Metragenix - Taste good, sugar alcohols, real protein though, no so much soy based, acceptable calorie count

Come Ready - Supreme clones, snack food

Detour Lean Muscle - Good taste, like the fiber and protein crisps. Would def eat again.

Clif Builder Bar with Protein - Taste is great IMHO, good mix of calories, natural ingredients for the most part. Balanced though wish more protein. Def like these for a meal replacement type bar...

Snickers Marathon Protein - Had to try them. 20g Protein, 10g Fiber...Taste is good and they are soft, well the caramel nut crunch one was i had...Would make it my snack bar over supreme simply due to fiber content

Quest bars - taste is ok, simplicity in ingredients is nice, but not for me, and i'll elude to why below.

EAS and Met-rx - I refuse to purchase or support these companies in any aspect, so fug em

So i talked with the owner of the Metragenix bars at the Arnold and they are renaming them Ratio Bars. They have an all natural, NON-GMO, GLUTEN FREE bar coming out that i got to taste behind the seems. Peanut butter banana flavor and they were phenomenol. Soft, moist. Will definitely keep my eye out for those.

Quest bars, well a close associate of mine had them tested as he is trying to release his own line of bars and wanted to use them for a starting point. Tested 7 different ways from sunday, multiple flavors, etc, they all came back with half of the claimed fiber content. To some this not may be a big deal, to others it may. Im just putting it out there, and i saw the COAs with my own eyes. Yes it was 2 separate third-party testing companies too. So take it for whats its worth, just know the facts.

Guys give me some inputs on some bars or even if you use them at all. Being im traveling so much, powders get inconvenient for me and i usually looking for RTDs or something. No Im not drinking muslce milk or core power either. For RTDs, my only real winner is IsoPURE and that damn glass bottle doesnt work well for packing. So thats why all the bars.

milehighguy
05-10-2013, 08:34 PM
My all time favorite are Metabolic Drive bars from Biotest (TNation)....
I try not to eat bars but sometimes it is my best option
Problem is that Biotest hasn't had them in stock for a long time
Most others taste like dog s@*t IMO

xxiv
05-10-2013, 08:36 PM
i was making my own a few months ago using anamass.

longBallLima
05-10-2013, 08:41 PM
really didn't look at nutrition cuz i got a couple for free and just chowed them, but surprisingly, GNC had bars that tasted freaking amazing.

PNMike
05-10-2013, 09:17 PM
My all time favorite are Metabolic Drive bars from Biotest (TNation)....
I try not to eat bars but sometimes it is my best option
Problem is that Biotest hasn't had them in stock for a long time
Most others taste like dog s@*t IMO

Have you tried there Finibar? it looks pretty good stats wise...thinking of buying a box?

Is the general board consensus that you DO NOT use bars?

Sorrow
05-10-2013, 10:02 PM
I use bars, makes for an easy to grab snack for when I dont want to do vending machine junk food. Also they come in handy at competitions (powerlifting meets can be looooooong days sometimes)

Grape Ape
05-10-2013, 10:41 PM
If I made my own I would, otherwise they are too expensive for what they are. I'd rather grab a bag of cashews and a 16oz whole milk if I'm at the local WaWa. Right now I've been doing 2% plain greek yogurt and an apple for about $1.75.

burlyman30
05-10-2013, 10:41 PM
I don't use bars as a regularly planned part of my diet, but I steal my wife's Atkins bars pretty often and wash them down with a glass of milk. When I'm tired, usually before bed, and just don't want to think about a meal, it does the trick. A box of 6 is about $7.50, so pretty reasonable, and the nutritional profile on the ones she gets are decent.

I've tried the Supreme bars, but they make me fart and they are smelly ones. Can't do those AT ALL. I think its the sugar alcohols, but not sure.

Builder bars are the only soy based bars that seem to digest easily for me. Most soy based bars give me gas and/or intestinal pain.

Quest bars are OK, but not great for on the go, IMO. Hard as.a.rock when cold and chewy as can be when warm. Too.much work to eat.

At the local AM/PM store I sometimes pick up a bar if I know that lunch isn't likely to happen that day. The carry Lean Muscle/Detour bars. Its a last resort for me, though, as they give me gas too. Again, I'm thinking it's the sugar alcohols.

Jack O'Neill
05-10-2013, 11:56 PM
I est them several years ago when I eat 6/7 times a day.

But I started IF 2,5 years ago and CBL one year ago. No need to eat more than 3 times now. So no more protein bars. I prefer to prepare my own food

PNMike
05-11-2013, 02:55 AM
Glad PN decided not to do a bar a long time ago. Seems, for the most part, they are not popular

Turbo6GN
05-11-2013, 08:09 AM
I do my best to avoid them, I'll eat one if I need a snack to keep me going till dinner. They are little more then glorified chocolate bars.

weekend
05-11-2013, 02:01 PM
I love power crunch bars and loved quest bars until you told me the ingredients are lies...

Anyway, if you guys came out with a bar that had comparable pricing to powder, I'd be all over it. I need protein on the go a lot of the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Power crunch with protowhey

Cobalt
05-11-2013, 03:26 PM
I'll pick up a box of Zero Impact bars when I'm on a bulking cycle to get some extra calories while I'm at work. I don't depend on them, but on really busy days, they are great.

Any bar that has sugar alcohols are horrible on my stomach though. I avoid them at all costs.

Rulk
05-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Snickers bar.

USN HM 350Z
05-11-2013, 03:48 PM
I will use them if in a pinch, but considering I can just stop at 7-11 and get a cold protein shake I usually just go that route.

burlyman30
05-11-2013, 04:17 PM
I will use them if in a pinch, but considering I can just stop at 7-11 and get a cold protein shake I usually just go that route.

Protein shakes at 7-11? Who knew?

USN HM 350Z
05-11-2013, 05:10 PM
yeah, just look in the fridge. they have about 3 different brands. I get the VPX protein rush I think they are called.

Grape Ape
05-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Yeah, I second the shake. Can grab a muscle milk for the same price as those shit bars.

Bucks
05-11-2013, 06:16 PM

Same here. More and more quick marts are stocking Muscle Milk , ABB , Syntha 6 in the fridges. I wish more airports would do the same as Im always on the road.

PNMike
05-13-2013, 04:28 AM
Same here. More and more quick marts are stocking Muscle Milk , ABB , Syntha 6 in the fridges. I wish more airports would do the same as Im always on the road.

This is my dilema...also please remember on the quest bars, the ingredients arent lies, there is not as much fiber as claimed. Thats the only thing off. To me, the taste on this is ok, but would not be my first choice

DJM
05-13-2013, 05:43 AM
Snickers bar.

noa!!!!!!

sandman
05-13-2013, 07:56 AM
Protein bars are just to expensive. They are nice when your away on business but like people have said with shakes available at local stores now, they are pretty much obsolete. Or carry a salad dressing tupperware filled with powder and buy a small bottle of milk or water. Cheaper and usually better for you.

burlyman30
05-13-2013, 07:56 AM
Snickers bar.

noa!!!!!!

I got a good laugh out of his comment and yours. The guy who is a supplement junkie uses a snickers for a protein bar. Lol

ctAL
05-13-2013, 08:06 AM
quest bars are legit

fiber claim doesnt shock me.............i always wondered for as much fiber as they claim why i was still hungry not soon after

now i know.

olddawg
05-13-2013, 08:25 AM
Burly, I liked the atkins bars too until I found they were mostly soy protein. I liked the 0 net carbs but that soy gave me gyno just like grapefruit juice does.

I don't use bars as a regularly planned part of my diet, but I steal my wife's Atkins bars pretty often and wash them down with a glass of milk. When I'm tired, usually before bed, and just don't want to think about a meal, it does the trick. A box of 6 is about $7.50, so pretty reasonable, and the nutritional profile on the ones she gets are decent.

I've tried the Supreme bars, but they make me fart and they are smelly ones. Can't do those AT ALL. I think its the sugar alcohols, but not sure.

Builder bars are the only soy based bars that seem to digest easily for me. Most soy based bars give me gas and/or intestinal pain.

Quest bars are OK, but not great for on the go, IMO. Hard as.a.rock when cold and chewy as can be when warm. Too.much work to eat.

At the local AM/PM store I sometimes pick up a bar if I know that lunch isn't likely to happen that day. The carry Lean Muscle/Detour bars. Its a last resort for me, though, as they give me gas too. Again, I'm thinking it's the sugar alcohols.

burlyman30
05-13-2013, 08:51 AM
Burly, I liked the atkins bars too until I found they were mostly soy protein. I liked the 0 net carbs but that soy gave me gyno just like grapefruit juice does.

A lot of them do have soy.. my wife buys one of the flavors that actually uses whey. Grapefruit juice... funny :D

DJM
05-13-2013, 08:59 AM
i dont care for bars, i sometime shave a box for stahing in my pocket, but generally never buy, they hurt my stomach and the ones with isolate whey are like $5 here, not worth it when a scoop of iso powder is $1.......when us bigger guys eat so much it adds up fast

the snickers bar,honestly, after the thread bout new diet, then taco bell, then eat better, then other setbacks, now snickers but usplabs test stack, imo, and first i dont know more than the next guy and am not the end all be all, it just seems like odd choices......they are good tho lol, have a friend i told pb is great n he tells me oh yeah i eat reeces cups all the time lol, the guy is 185 chiseled tho, ad can eat anything, drinks alot, and doesnt know wtf is an amino acid lol

olddawg
05-13-2013, 08:59 AM
A lot of them do have soy.. my wife buys one of the flavors that actually uses whey. Grapefruit juice... funny :D

hmm, never seen the whey, have to look for it

burlyman30
05-13-2013, 09:34 AM
hmm, never seen the whey, have to look for it

The one she gets is a PB and chocolate flavor.

olddawg
05-13-2013, 12:51 PM
The one she gets is a PB and chocolate flavor.

you know I think I was eating the highest protein ones, 19g rings a bell, it's been a year or so so not sure, even then I had to eat 2 to just get 40g. Prot bars are yummy, but most are candy. I'll only eat them when I am cheating or bulking.

USN HM 350Z
05-18-2013, 11:44 AM
in before the delete and ban...