PDA

View Full Version : O'Ryan's Run with CBL

O_RYAN_007
05-20-2013, 10:13 AM
Ok gents, next Monday the wife and I are going to go on the Carb Back loading diet. I will log my experiences here. I'm very interested to see how much weight I can put on naturally (while dropping BF) and how this will effect my strength. I was going to start this week but I didn't have any where enough dirty carbs in my house. I will be using gluten free pancakes, red potatoes, donuts (maybe), gluten free cereal, gluten free pasta, and other gluten free carbs for my Carb Backloads.

All your words of wisdom are welcomed. I'll post pics next week.

Tune in!

burlyman30
05-20-2013, 10:32 AM
Since I am guessing that your wife has different goals than you, how does CBL fit for her? You may have mentioned it in an earlier post, but does she work out regularly?

JM1000
05-20-2013, 10:38 AM
good luck man! will follow

O_RYAN_007
05-20-2013, 10:47 AM
Since I am guessing that your wife has different goals than you, how does CBL fit for her? You may have mentioned it in an earlier post, but does she work out regularly?

My wife and I workout at the same time Mon-Fri. I have her squatting 185# for 3 sets of 10-12. I'll scale back her carb Backloads to about 100-150 g of carbs per night and I'll have 300-500g depending on my workout. She kills it in the gym, and I have her excited about this diet. I know she'll have problems with it at first, but I know every night she'll be happy again eating oreos and pancakes! LOL.

Good to have you guys on board.

Fat Bill Dwyer
05-20-2013, 10:55 AM
My wife and I workout at the same time Mon-Fri. I have her squatting 185# for 3 sets of 10-12. I'll scale back her carb Backloads to about 100-150 g of carbs per night and I'll have 300-500g depending on my workout. She kills it in the gym, and I have her excited about this diet. I know she'll have problems with it at first, but I know every night she'll be happy again eating oreos and pancakes! LOL.

Good plan. I wish I knew about CBL back when I convinced my old lady to run a CKD with me. 6 days of bitchiness per week.

Scope75
05-20-2013, 11:49 AM
I'm in and CBL works and makes life very normal.

burlyman30
05-20-2013, 11:59 AM

Strong girl! Very cool to have a woman who not only understands what you do, but enjoys it herself! I'll follow along. Interested to see how CBL works with the both of you.

O_RYAN_007
05-20-2013, 12:21 PM
I'm in and CBL works and makes life very normal.

The ultimate reason behind taking the step in trying CBL is because of you Scope. You had me interested in CNS, but I didn't wanna make the jump... But when I heard the good things you had to say about CBL, I was sold. I can't believe the wife bought in though. She's never EVER gone through with a diet. So when I told her we'd be eating ice cream, cookies, donuts, pancakes, and all sorts of other amazing goodies at night, she was sold.I know she will struggle a little in the beginning, but I know things will go great. Even if things don't go that good, at least I can say I gave it a run. Life is all about experience and learning things along the way.

Scope, what do you do if you want to have a couple drinks on the weekend? What can you drink?

O_RYAN_007
05-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Strong girl! Very cool to have a woman who not only understands what you do, but enjoys it herself! I'll follow along. Interested to see how CBL works with the both of you.

You know Burly, she's always respected what I did in the gym and the dedication I have for my passion... But she never truly understood what it was all about until she started seeing results for herself. She tells me how great she feels when she works out, and how I'm getting her stronger both physically and mentally. She's an Occupational Therapist that deals with patients that are extremely dependent on her physical strength. She's a short girl, but she's powerful! I had her Hack Squatting 4 plates on each side for 3 sets of 12 a couple weeks back!

weekend
05-20-2013, 12:42 PM
hack squatting 405??? how can a girl grip that?? did she use straps?

i can only hack squat 315 lol i hate that exercise

my girl just deadlifted 225 for the first time yesterday, i thought that was crazy

burlyman30
05-20-2013, 12:44 PM
Very cool, Ryan. My wife and I are both "alphas", so there is no working with her in business or training with her in the gym or coaching her on a diet. We've tried it. She can't take instruction from me and it drives me nuts when she quits eating well or training, so I just try to support ANY positive thing she does and leave it at that. lol. That being said, I can't imagine working out with my wife as a partner. She'd spend so much time wanting to talk endlessly about unrelated subjects that I'd never get anything done and couldn't concentrate on the workout. Haha. You are a blessed man, my friend.

- - - Updated - - -

my girl just deadlifted 225 for the first time yesterday, i thought that was crazy

You just got hack-schooled by a girl. How does that make you feel? :rolleyes:

weekend
05-20-2013, 12:55 PM
i definitely need some help with form on that lift, it seems like i cant grip the bar without rounding my back... bar always slams my calves... cant lock out without it running into my ass... not a fun lift haha

sorry if hijack

O_RYAN_007
05-20-2013, 01:02 PM

On a hack squat machine. You load up the plates just as you would a leg press machine. 8*45=360. But this machine is at a more upright angle than other machines I've used. But yeah man, she was killing it. On that machine, I can load up 11 plates on each side and do 3 sets of 8.

O_RYAN_007
05-20-2013, 01:10 PM
Very cool, Ryan. My wife and I are both "alphas", so there is no working with her in business or training with her in the gym or coaching her on a diet. We've tried it. She can't take instruction from me and it drives me nuts when she quits eating well or training, so I just try to support ANY positive thing she does and leave it at that. lol. That being said, I can't imagine working out with my wife as a partner. She'd spend so much time wanting to talk endlessly about unrelated subjects that I'd never get anything done and couldn't concentrate on the workout. Haha. You are a blessed man, my friend.

- - - Updated - - -

You just got hack-schooled by a girl. How does that make you feel? :rolleyes:

We've had our crappy workouts together, Mondays especially. She just likes looking around, I hate that. She's squatting with 185 on her back and looks at someone as they walk by... I'm like, PAY ATTENTION! She also killed a few of my workouts too... So it's a give and take. She's not as dedicated as me, but she does put the work in. She really only works out with my when we do legs. SO the rest of the week we train on our own. I really hate training with other people, I love being by myself... But I like helping her unlock her potential.

Like the other day when I broke my all time Personal best on deads... She told me she saw me the entire time I was working my way up... She told me she didn't want to break my concentration, so she let me finish before we started hitting it together. She knows that I need to focus, and that I HATE talking in the gym. She gets to the gym before I do, so she'll do 20 mins of HIIT while I get dressed and warmed up.

It's been working for sure.

Scope75
05-20-2013, 01:12 PM
The ultimate reason behind taking the step in trying CBL is because of you Scope. You had me interested in CNS, but I didn't wanna make the jump... But when I heard the good things you had to say about CBL, I was sold. I can't believe the wife bought in though. She's never EVER gone through with a diet. So when I told her we'd be eating ice cream, cookies, donuts, pancakes, and all sorts of other amazing goodies at night, she was sold.I know she will struggle a little in the beginning, but I know things will go great. Even if things don't go that good, at least I can say I gave it a run. Life is all about experience and learning things along the way.

Scope, what do you do if you want to have a couple drinks on the weekend? What can you drink?

Yeah I remember you asking me about CNS a while ago, and I'm glad I was some help.

Your plan looks solid with you having 300-500g BLs and your wife having 100-150g BLs. One thing I've seen is that females seems do better on cleaner carb sources over the junk like pizza, ice cream, and stuff like that. Not saying she can't or won't do good but if things don't go smooth switch out the dirty stuff for clean carbs.

When your want to drink keep it pure alcohol.
One drink I've been wanting to try even thou I don't drink anymore/often is a NorCal Margarita
Ingredients
2 shots (4 oz) of clear alcohol – Rum/Tequila
juice of one lime
club soda
ice
This drink is made to not spike insulin because the lime juice blunts the alcohols effects on blood sugar and the soda water gets you buzzed quicker.

DJM
05-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Ok gents, next Monday the wife and I are going to go on the Carb Back loading diet. I will log my experiences here. I'm very interested to see how much weight I can put on naturally (while dropping BF) and how this will effect my strength. I was going to start this week but I didn't have any where enough dirty carbs in my house. I will be using gluten free pancakes, red potatoes, donuts (maybe), gluten free cereal, gluten free pasta, and other gluten free carbs for my Carb Backloads.

All your words of wisdom are welcomed. I'll post pics next week.

Tune in!

pics of the wife?:p

O_RYAN_007
05-20-2013, 01:52 PM

I knew I was going to get that from someone here! LOL, nah, she's not as comfortable with her body as I am. You've seen my FB pics. :)

burlyman30
05-20-2013, 01:57 PM

Thought about asking. Decided to let someone else. Knew I could count on you.

When SS gets bigger, we need a Miss SwoleSource thread.

O_RYAN_007
05-20-2013, 01:57 PM
Yeah I remember you asking me about CNS a while ago, and I'm glad I was some help.

Your plan looks solid with you having 300-500g BLs and your wife having 100-150g BLs. One thing I've seen is that females seems do better on cleaner carb sources over the junk like pizza, ice cream, and stuff like that. Not saying she can't or won't do good but if things don't go smooth switch out the dirty stuff for clean carbs.

When your want to drink keep it pure alcohol.
One drink I've been wanting to try even thou I don't drink anymore/often is a NorCal Margarita
Ingredients
2 shots (4 oz) of clear alcohol – Rum/Tequila
juice of one lime
club soda
ice
This drink is made to not spike insulin because the lime juice blunts the alcohols effects on blood sugar and the soda water gets you buzzed quicker.

Great deal buddy. That drink is right up our alley! What would you consider cleaner carbs? Red Potatoes, gluten free pancakes, white rice? What else? I'll be eating a good amount of fruit as well to help with the digestion of all these carbs. I got a huge order from the farm yesterday, now I need to go to the grocery store to get my carbs, fats, veggies, and fruits.

I'll be doing 6 whole eggs in the am cooked in organic butter, I'll have a tbsp of coconut oil, a chicken breast or a hamburger patty, and half an avocado. What else would you recommend for bfast? Lunches will be 1 whole avocado, 1 ckn breast, and 1 ground beef patty, some spinach or broccoli and some nuts.

How does this sound? Should I add anything else to the lunches?

VayneZ
05-20-2013, 03:43 PM
Since I enjoy Scope's CBL experiences, I know I'll enjoy this, especially from you bro!! IN! Soon, real soon, I'll join you guys! :)

Scope75
05-20-2013, 03:47 PM
Cleaner carbs to me is potatoes, white rice, and things that are just less processed.
Right now my go to clean carbs are potatoes, sweet potatoes, white rice, and GF pancakes with apple sauce subbed for the oil.
Fruit is good but watch out for over doing fructose because only your liver can store that then its all fat after that's full. Mango, papaya, spotted bananas, watermelon, berries and grapes are lower fructose and my go to fruits.

Your meals look good and just make sure to get enough food in because some have a hard time eating so much fat and protein.
I eat more of a brunch than bfast or lunch because my only meal is at 10-11 then my next meal is post workout. Eating like this I'm able to get my 12-14hr fast in then I'm also fasted from 10-11am to 4-6pm.

O_RYAN_007
05-20-2013, 03:48 PM
I'm just thinking about how to start this thing... I read that you need to essentially be carb-less for 10 days before entering the CBL diet. I'm not all about this! LOL!

O_RYAN_007
05-20-2013, 03:50 PM
Cleaner carbs to me is potatoes, white rice, and things that are just less processed.
Right now my go to clean carbs are potatoes, sweet potatoes, white rice, and GF pancakes with apple sauce subbed for the oil.
Fruit is good but watch out for over doing fructose because only your liver can store that then its all fat after that's full. Mango, papaya, spotted bananas, watermelon, berries and grapes are lower fructose and my go to fruits.

Your meals look good and just make sure to get enough food in because some have a hard time eating so much fat and protein.
I eat more of a brunch than bfast or lunch because my only meal is at 10-11 then my next meal is post workout. Eating like this I'm able to get my 12-14hr fast in then I'm also fasted from 10-11am to 4-6pm.

I don't want to veer off the diet, but I need bfast and I know this is the same for the wife. I know I won't be on the fast as long, but does it screw things up by eating bfast?

Scope75
05-20-2013, 04:55 PM
The 10 day prep period is to get your body fat adapted and primed to CBL.

I think the fast is important and more so if your goals are fatloss/recomp. Its easier for me to eat 2 times a day than 3-5 times but if you have to have bfast make it whole foods only.
Now I can't say if not fasting will screw things up it just seems like most skip bfast because that's what the book recommends and says to do if your not bulking.

Have your tried skipping bfast and just drinking coffee with heavy whipping cream or MCT oil??

O_RYAN_007
05-20-2013, 07:24 PM
The 10 day prep period is to get your body fat adapted and primed to CBL.

I think the fast is important and more so if your goals are fatloss/recomp. Its easier for me to eat 2 times a day than 3-5 times but if you have to have bfast make it whole foods only.
Now I can't say if not fasting will screw things up it just seems like most skip bfast because that's what the book recommends and says to do if your not bulking.

Have your tried skipping bfast and just drinking coffee with heavy whipping cream or MCT oil??

I've never gone without eating bfast for over 4 years, if not more... Starting to think, LOL!

Scope75
05-20-2013, 08:26 PM
Its not needed and is just routine now. Lol
I've never been a bfast guy so it's not a problem for me to fast 12hrs+.

markam
05-21-2013, 02:04 AM
Its not needed and is just routine now. Lol
I've never been a bfast guy so it's not a problem for me to fast 12hrs+.

Yep, pretty easy when you're used to it. My window for eating is from 11am - 7 pm max, but often it'll be less, say 6 hours.
The problem I had to overcome was eating late when I get back from work at 11pm, but it didn't take too long to get used to it.
Unfortunately all this tends to go out the window at weekends due to family life, so progress isn't as fast as it could be, but there is progress, so I'm ok with that.

Jack O'Neill
05-21-2013, 04:56 AM
I've never gone without eating bfast for over 4 years, if not more... Starting to think, LOL!

Skip breakfast help your body to burn fat in keeping low levels of insulin. MCT oil or heavy cream help more

I'm in for your log. I did CNS for 3 months and I do CBL since 4-5 months

O_RYAN_007
05-21-2013, 05:41 AM
Skip breakfast help your body to burn fat in keeping low levels of insulin. MCT oil or heavy cream help more

I'm in for your log. I did CNS for 3 months and I do CBL since 4-5 months

So what's everyone's gains on CBL so far? My goals aren't to get shredded, it would just be nice it that occurred... But my main concern is with getting stronger. The more I think about this diet, the more I think it's not going to work for my end goals. I'm not writing it off just yet, but I still have some time to make the decision. I'm not low carb now, and if I did this, I would need to go 10 days without carbs.

Jack O'Neill
05-21-2013, 05:55 AM
CBL comes with 2 different protocols :

- SA for strength accumulation (strength axed)
- DB for density bulking (bulk axed)

SA seems maybe better for you

markam
05-21-2013, 06:41 AM
So what's everyone's gains on CBL so far? My goals aren't to get shredded, it would just be nice it that occurred... But my main concern is with getting stronger. The more I think about this diet, the more I think it's not going to work for my end goals. I'm not writing it off just yet, but I still have some time to make the decision. I'm not low carb now, and if I did this, I would need to go 10 days without carbs.

Even if you don't do CBL, cutting carbs from breakfast can be quite effective. For me, four eggs with 100 ml egg white are a great meal. If I fancy something sweet, I'll have 20g almond butter afterwards. It's said that the choline in eggs block fat absorption, as well as all the other positives from eating eggs. When I eat carbs I try not to eat any fat at the same time, as the raised insulin response from the carbs will make fat storage much more likely. If I stick to this way of eating monday-friday, it doesn't matter that much if my diet's more relaxed over the weekend.

Scope75
05-21-2013, 07:18 AM
Ryan don't let 10 days ULC scare you away because its not that bad at all and if you took a deload week it would make it even easier mentally.
Hell after 10 days ULC and skipping bfast might have your old routine forgotten.
Strict ULC, workout, and then smash carbs!!!! Its just that simple and it works. Strentgh is threw the roof and climbing just like endurance is too.

O_RYAN_007
05-21-2013, 08:17 AM
Ryan don't let 10 days ULC scare you away because its not that bad at all and if you took a deload week it would make it even easier mentally.
Hell after 10 days ULC and skipping bfast might have your old routine forgotten.
Strict ULC, workout, and then smash carbs!!!! Its just that simple and it works. Strentgh is threw the roof and climbing just like endurance is too.

I was thinking about using the 10 days as a deload for sure. I know I could do it, but not sure how the wife is going to handle that one. I'm just thinking to myself how on earth am I going to get all my calories in for only 3 meals. I know it will make my life and morning a lot easier since I won't be eating bfast. Where can I read more about the SA portion of this diet? I know I need to read more before I start, but I'm really glad I have you guys here to help me along the way.

As for the 10 days of ULC, do I eat the same way as far as the fasting period in the am is concerned? How much heavy whipping cream do you recommend I eat in the am, same goes for coconut oil or MCTs?

Scope75
05-21-2013, 09:50 AM
Getting cals in wont be a problem because I usually eat 1k at 10-11 any 2k or more post workout. Fat cals add up FAST.

I'd recommend buying the book and then you'll understand there's more to it than just backloading your carbs.

During the prep I'd start doing the fast so its out of the way and part of your routine.

You'll have to play around with the oils and stuff because it effects people different. Some can't handle 10-14g CO where I can eat 3-4 times that and be fine. HWC is great and makes the caffeine more effective and 2tbs makes coffee taste very good.

O_RYAN_007
05-21-2013, 10:29 AM
Getting cals in wont be a problem because I usually eat 1k at 10-11 any 2k or more post workout. Fat cals add up FAST.

I'd recommend buying the book and then you'll understand there's more to it than just backloading your carbs.

During the prep I'd start doing the fast so its out of the way and part of your routine.

You'll have to play around with the oils and stuff because it effects people different. Some can't handle 10-14g CO where I can eat 3-4 times that and be fine. HWC is great and makes the caffeine more effective and 2tbs makes coffee taste very good.

I'm going to buy the book for sure.

Jack O'Neill
05-21-2013, 10:35 AM
I'm going to buy the book for sure.

I think it's a really good invesment

LBC-83
05-21-2013, 10:37 AM
Even if you don't do CBL, cutting carbs from breakfast can be quite effective. For me, four eggs with 100 ml egg white are a great meal. If I fancy something sweet, I'll have 20g almond butter afterwards. It's said that the choline in eggs block fat absorption, as well as all the other positives from eating eggs. When I eat carbs I try not to eat any fat at the same time, as the raised insulin response from the carbs will make fat storage much more likely. If I stick to this way of eating monday-friday, it doesn't matter that much if my diet's more relaxed over the weekend.

The bolded isn't necessarily true. Fat slows down digestion and blunts insulin spikes. In the end you must go bad to the central dogma of weight loss. Calories in vs calories out.

markam
05-21-2013, 10:55 AM
The bolded isn't necessarily true. Fat slows down digestion and blunts insulin spikes. In the end you must go bad to the central dogma of weight loss. Calories in vs calories out.

Really? I thought it was accepted wisdom to not combine high gi carbs with fats? Calories in calories out is fine, but there's calories, and there's calories:)

Scope75
05-21-2013, 11:32 AM
For CBL its better to start off no/low fat then have a fatty meal or treat at the end of your BL. It also depends on how much fat you need to eat to hit your cals for the day so if you plan to get in 100g fat everyday and split it 50/50, 40/60, or however that's how much fat you'll have in your backload. I switch up how I'm split my fats up and to me I haven't found it better to have more or less in the backload so I just eat to hit my cal goals after that first post workout no/low fat meal.
I always start things no/low fat then have something where I get to add a bunch of butter of CO too. Those are 2 very good sources of fat and they make carbs taste even better.

LBC-83
05-21-2013, 11:48 AM
Really? I thought it was accepted wisdom to not combine high gi carbs with fats? Calories in calories out is fine, but there's calories, and there's calories:)

There is also a difference between something being accepted and something being true.

EDIT: That sounds a bit adversarial/confrontational, I promise it's not how I mean it. :D

markam
05-21-2013, 05:03 PM
There is also a difference between something being accepted and something being true.

EDIT: That sounds a bit adversarial/confrontational, I promise it's not how I mean it. :D

Don't worry, I won't go Ippy on you:)