PDA

View Full Version : Need good routine/book/course

pman42
05-28-2013, 02:10 PM
OK so some of my best gains have come from this last period of listening to my body and just hitting it hard, but now I feel like I want some more structure and routine. I'd like to ideally buy an authoritative text that will teach me how to make my own routines, or routine/supplement suggestions pre-made from someone who knows their stuff.

so far i own:
o brother iron, sister steel-- great book
o The complete keys to progress-- crappy, filler fluff
o a few books on nutrition and sports performance
o Strength Training Anatomy
o various ebooks that are mostly crappy (torrented them)
o DoggCrapp DVD-- have done this program before
o Just got 'The New High Intensity Training' in the mail as a free trial, gonna send it back

Anyone have suggestions on what they'd consider THE indispensable book on weight training?

thanks guys

Rodja
05-28-2013, 07:28 PM
There really isn't much out there that is going to teach you how to make your own routines in one text. You'll usually have to read several texts and form an amalgam of principles/techniques. Most of the books that are heavy on theory are great resources, but short on templates and the ones heavy with templates are going to be low on theory.

That being said, I have the following in my library:
5/3/1 (PL, Football, and v2 editions)
Juggernaut Method v1 and v2
The Cube Method
EFS Basic Training
The Max Effort Method
Westside Book of Methods
Supertraining
Block Periodization 1 and 2
EFS Bench Press Manual
Westside for Skinny Bastards v3
The Vault
Under The Bar

JM1000
05-28-2013, 08:31 PM
Poliquin Principles by Charles Poliquin gives you a great idea on different methods... You can build your own routine after that... If you haven't been using different tempos while training, you will like this!

sandman
05-29-2013, 07:42 AM
Shelby Starnes - The Official Website (http://shelbystarnes.com/store.html)

Just released a new e-book. The guy is very smart as a bodybuilding coach.