PDA

View Full Version : Burly Decides to Squat Again...

burlyman30
05-31-2013, 11:14 PM
Ok, this is the 3rd of 3 threads about me getting back to the "Big 3" powerlifts.

I waited a while to start this thread because of a few reasons. My work schedule when I started back to the gym was insane and I really couldn't make it to the gym more than twice (sometimes once) a week. Partly because of my schedule, my recovery had to be taken into consideration, and squats generally take a lot out of me. I didn't think my body could keep up. My legs tend to grow quicker than other body parts, so I was never worried that my upper body would get too far ahead. Probably an additional delay was fear. I tore my right quadricep in the muscle belly almost 2 years ago, and leg work has not been pursued as readily as it used to be. Additionally, my knees are not in the best of shape. Some days they hurt, other days they perform better. They click and snap all the time. I'm thinking thats not a good thing, but so far they are holding together. :-)

Today I visited the altar of the squat rack. It felt like home. Almost. It was more like when you return home and realize nobody cleaned up your mess while you were gone. lol. It has been a long time since I had any real weight on my back-- probably right before I got real sick and was unable to work out for months, which is nearly a year ago.

I don't know if any of you have this happen, but after a layoff from the gym, my legs cramp up on the first couple weeks back. None of my other muscle groups do this, but strangely, glutes, hams, quads and the other surrounding muscles (like the sartorius, etc.) start cramping even after a warmup set. Today was no different, but I did expect it.

For the record, I squat well below parallel and my stance is approximately shoulder width.

Bar x 20 felt like it wanted to cramp at end of set
95 x 12 started cramping, but walked/stretched to keep it looser
135 x 6 cramping more after the set, but the set went well.
185 x 6 again with the cramping, but during the set, the first rep seems to loosen things up and I don't mess with it until after the set.
225 x 6 same as above
275 x 6 set started to feel like there was some weight on my back, finally. By end of set, cramps were worse.

I considered going to 315 and I feel pretty confident I could have knocked out 6, but they would have been tough. I really didn't want to take the risk of an injury on my first day back. That would have made for a very short thread!

I could barely walk because of the cramping, but I hobbled over to the back hyperextension bench and did three high rep sets and stretched out my back before/between each set. I finished out the workout with calf raises.

I hope to stay healthy and injury free and continue this log for as long as it makes sense. Since I won't update this more than once a week, feel free to use this thread for "All things related to the Squat".

burlyman30
05-31-2013, 11:27 PM
Just for a bit of background, the heaviest I remember squatting was about 465 for sets of somewhere between 8 and 12 reps. I never maxed out, that I recall. I also used to do front squats with 315-365 for 8-12 reps. After going heavy, I used to lighten the weight and do 315 for 15-20 reps, or sometimes 225 for 50 reps. These numbers were happening for me around age 19 or 20... 23 or 24 years ago.

I don't know where this thread will lead and how my body will hold up, but I am looking to build additional "functional strength" in my hips and thighs (and core). I'll be working with the "numbers" that I start conquering in order to project future weeks and plan the workout accordingly. I have no plans to do a true 1RM in the squat. Since I have no plans to compete, I think it would be an unnecessary risk for injury, but I am open to discussing the advantages/disadvantages.

Cobalt
06-01-2013, 12:08 AM
Just think of how tight your glutes will get. Spandex pants, here we come! ;)

Seriously though, squatting is awesome and I'm glad to see you are willing to give it another go.

Just curious about your methods. Do you just let the bar lay across your shoulders/back like it is, or do you put some sort of pad/wrap on it? I see lots of people at the gym wrapping the bar with a towel.

burlyman30
06-01-2013, 12:21 AM
Just think of how tight your glutes will get. Spandex pants, here we come! ;)

Seriously though, squatting is awesome and I'm glad to see you are willing to give it another go.

Just curious about your methods. Do you just let the bar lay across your shoulders/back like it is, or do you put some sort of pad/wrap on it? I see lots of people at the gym wrapping the bar with a towel.

We call those pads "sissy pads" where I come from. lol. I wouldn't be seen with one of those on my squat bar.

I really always loved the squat simply because it was such a challenging lift to me. I did a lot of the high rep squatting after reading about Tom Platz's protocol for leg work. There's a "zone" you have to enter during that lift in order to go past rep 15 and I found it nearly addictive to get into that state of mind.

As far as the spandex... well, I lived through the 80s when we DID wear spandex in the gym. It is still a black mark in fashion history... and my own workout history. haha.

Oh, I do have one concern I didn't mention above... Well, I've been recomping a bit and had to drop from 34s to 32s in jeans... I am a bit concerned that the squats will fill out the glutes (and legs) enough to require new pants, yet again. I know some of you would see that as a good thing, I used to as well. But my body size and shape has yo-yo'd a lot over the years and I really don't want to buy new jeans to replace the ones I bought 6 weeks ago. Oh well. Time will tell what this old body will transform into.

Dcabedo
06-01-2013, 01:32 AM
Just for a bit of background, the heaviest I remember squatting was about 465 for sets of somewhere between 8 and 12 reps. I never maxed out, that I recall. I also used to do front squats with 315-365 for 8-12 reps. After going heavy, I used to lighten the weight and do 315 for 15-20 reps, or sometimes 225 for 50 reps. These numbers were happening for me around age 19 or 20

Man I am way behind you when you were my age...pretty upset with myself right now...haha

burlyman30
06-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Man I am way behind you when you were my age...pretty upset with myself right now...haha

Naw, only compare you to you. Keep in mind that by the time I was putting up those numbers, I had been training seriously for 5-6 years and had packed about 100 lbs onto my previously skinny frame.

Sperwer
06-01-2013, 07:20 PM
Ok, this is the 3rd of 3 threads about me getting back to the "Big 3" powerlifts.

AT this rate, I'm expecting the "Burly Decides to Root Again" thread real soon.:rolleyes:

Seriously, great news about your getting back to squatting and getting back into the life in general. ANd those numbers are vey inspiring. Nice work.

burlyman30
06-02-2013, 12:58 AM
Quick update. My legs were in a lot of pain last night and the DOMS was in full force by this morning. I could barely drag my body off the couch (I sleep better and snore less than in the bed).

1000mg of ibuprofen, loads of caffeine, and I hobbled to the truck. It has a small lift on it, so actually climbing in was painfully challenging.

The whole day I was dragging tail. Energy reserves had been zapped by a combination of the workout and my body trying to heal itself. I only began to feel better this evening.

Needless to say, today was not a workout day. It was a recuperation day. I expect tomorrow to be the same and be well rested for Monday's workout.

O_RYAN_007
06-02-2013, 09:31 AM
Quick update. My legs were in a lot of pain last night and the DOMS was in full force by this morning. I could barely drag my body off the couch (I sleep better and snore less than in the bed).

1000mg of ibuprofen, loads of caffeine, and I hobbled to the truck. It has a small lift on it, so actually climbing in was painfully challenging.

The whole day I was dragging tail. Energy reserves had been zapped by a combination of the workout and my body trying to heal itself. I only began to feel better this evening.

Needless to say, today was not a workout day. It was a recuperation day. I expect tomorrow to be the same and be well rested for Monday's workout.

Glad you're back to the Holy place of the squat rack! It's def my Holy Zen place, I go into some sort of trance when I get into the zone... My woman freaks that i just walk around like a bull staring at the ground, breathing hard, and talking to myself. Either way, those front squat numbers of your younger years are amazing! I can barely do 225 for sets of 6 now... I've NEVER been a good front squatter, but I'm going to make this a new goal of mine; get front squat numbers up! My quads and core were sore for about 4 full days after last weeks leg workout. I can hit 545 on back squats, but only 225 on front... COME ON!

burlyman30
06-02-2013, 02:33 PM
Glad you're back to the Holy place of the squat rack! It's def my Holy Zen place, I go into some sort of trance when I get into the zone... My woman freaks that i just walk around like a bull staring at the ground, breathing hard, and talking to myself. Either way, those front squat numbers of your younger years are amazing! I can barely do 225 for sets of 6 now... I've NEVER been a good front squatter, but I'm going to make this a new goal of mine; get front squat numbers up! My quads and core were sore for about 4 full days after last weeks leg workout. I can hit 545 on back squats, but only 225 on front... COME ON!

Front squats rely on quads much more than hips and the rest of the thigh, which explains why some do better with it than others. My hip/glute region was never terribly strong, but my quads always have been.

JM1000
06-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Good to see you're getting back on track man! Since my knee injury i've put on 100 pounds on squat... Hope you get good results although you seem to be getting some good numbers alrdy!

burlyman30
06-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Good to see you're getting back on track man! Since my knee injury i've put on 100 pounds on squat... Hope you get good results although you seem to be getting some good numbers alrdy!

Glad to hear you are getting past your knee injury. I am hoping my knees will cooperate with me, too, as they can be fickle. Did you have to go under the knife for your knee?

weekend
06-02-2013, 11:14 PM
when it comes to squatting for me, my knees never hurt more than a dull ache the next day if i really hit it hard... problem for me is my lower back on the left side...

burlyman30
06-03-2013, 01:09 AM
when it comes to squatting for me, my knees never hurt more than a dull ache the next day if i really hit it hard... problem for me is my lower back on the left side...

When I was your age, knees never bothered me at all. The last 10 years, things have changed.

On your lower back, is that an injury/scar tissue that is giving you trouble?

weekend
06-03-2013, 01:34 AM
The only thing to ever hurt it directly has been squatting... I think I have a muscle imbalance or a problem with my cns that makes it so that part of the muscle gets strained. Other stuff hurts it if its already hurting but a bout of this pain always starts with a squatting session. That being said, it never ever happens on cycle. Which is why I think it might be my cns being lazy

- - - Updated - - -

If it gets bad I can't bend over and a lot of workouts get painful, getting up out of a chair will hurt it and shit and coughing...

burlyman30
06-03-2013, 07:07 AM
Sounds like you should do some accessory back mobility/strengthening exercises during the week.

JM1000
06-03-2013, 09:27 AM
Glad to hear you are getting past your knee injury. I am hoping my knees will cooperate with me, too, as they can be fickle. Did you have to go under the knife for your knee?

I had tendonitis in both knees and it was a pain to heal... took me lots of physio but I got through hehe. To this day I stretch calves, hips and thighs every day and I am pain free except a little knee soreness after leg day but nothing crazy... Poor mobility will get you injured

burlyman30
06-03-2013, 03:15 PM
I had tendonitis in both knees and it was a pain to heal... took me lots of physio but I got through hehe. To this day I stretch calves, hips and thighs every day and I am pain free except a little knee soreness after leg day but nothing crazy... Poor mobility will get you injured

What was the cause of the tendonitis?

As for poor mobility... you are so right.

JM1000
06-03-2013, 03:31 PM
After the wrestling and rugby, I obviously lost alot of mobility. Calves and hips were the problem. When I started pushing for a bigger squat, my knees were taking alot of damage from poor form and the lack of mobility. Back then my form was horrible. I would squat on the tip of my toes lol... Really didn`t know how to squat properly. One morning it was it lol my knees had gave up.

Learned a good lesson though, mobility and good form is the key to being injury free. I stretch 25 minutes before bed now and no more problems :) can almost to the split too lol...

The pain in my knees was retarded, and lack of mobility in my hips killed my lower back... This is why i`m studying physio lol, it helped me so much!

O_RYAN_007
06-03-2013, 03:40 PM
After the wrestling and rugby, I obviously lost alot of mobility. Calves and hips were the problem. When I started pushing for a bigger squat, my knees were taking alot of damage from poor form and the lack of mobility. Back then my form was horrible. I would squat on the tip of my toes lol... Really didn`t know how to squat properly. One morning it was it lol my knees had gave up.

Learned a good lesson though, mobility and good form is the key to being injury free. I stretch 25 minutes before bed now and no more problems :) can almost to the split too lol...

The pain in my knees was retarded, and lack of mobility in my hips killed my lower back... This is why i`m studying physio lol, it helped me so much!

Flossing the hips is a must for me before squatting and deadlifting. I also stretch about 10 mins in the dry sauna before I floss the hips. Before and After I deadlift or squat, I will always hang from the pull-up bar to decompress the spine as well. This has really helped me since I started doing it last year. I will also get a good rolling session on my back and legs (with the rumble roller) after my leg workout. It aids in the recovery process and assists in reducing the soreness duration. I've always been a very flexible person, just never been able to do a split. WILD!

JM1000
06-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Same here, lots of hip warming up before these two lifts, makes a diffrence for me! I should really get a rumble roller, the foam roller really doesnt do anything anymore lol

burlyman30
06-03-2013, 03:46 PM
Always been impressed with guys who have flexibility. I've never had it and even when adding it in to my regular routine, my flexibility never really increased so I've never pursued it much. I stretch in between sets but that's about it.

O_RYAN_007
06-03-2013, 06:19 PM
I used to run track and jumped in track and field, so I needed to me really flexible... I continued to stretch and run throughout college, but I stopped running after I started lifting. I continued to stretch as I I lifted and my flexibility has remained close to what it was in college, if not better.

burlyman30
06-11-2013, 11:20 PM
Well, today was not exactly ideal conditions for squatting. I DL'ed yesterday, along with a full back workout. This meant my hams and back were a bit sore. But I couldn't very well do a chest/arm workout today, since I also worked delts yesterday. Since my shoulder is the more injury prone area, I knew I needed to give that joint a rest. So squats it was.

Since this is only workout #2 for squatting, I figured I am still breaking in my body to the movement, and therefore keeping the session brief and submaximal would keep the break-in process moving forward without entirely taxing my back and hams.

I went into the workout hungry, which is certainly not ideal. All I had eaten was a breakfast burrito in the morning and a protein bar around 11 am. Workout was at 6pm, so you could say I was in a fasted state and hopefully burning a bit of fat for energy. I mixed up some All-In and downed that about 30 minutes pre workout. Then I began sipping on my PeptoPro/Tang mixture on my drive over to the gym (and all throughout the workout). This kept me just on the edge, hunger/blood sugar-wise.

All squats performed are below parallel.

Bar x 20
95 x 12
135 x 10
185 x 6
225 x 6
275 x 6
315 x 6

Everything felt good overall. The legs didn't cramp up like last week. They may have if I continued with more sets, but I was ok with shutting it down early and letting my body acclimate to the movement/weight again. 315 felt like some decent weight, but I probably could have done a dozen at that weight if I was pushing myself. Nevertheless, I felt it, and 4 hours later I am still feeling it. It was the right move to not go higher weight or reps this week.

I wanted to do more quad work, but nothing that would overly stress my hams or back, so I opted for some DB lunges. I do them by stepping back, not forward, as it is less stress on the knees (for me, at least). 3 sets of 10 completely toasted the quads and then I finished off with calf work.

All in all, a short, but good workout.

markam
06-13-2013, 05:21 AM
You probably mentioned front squats in this thread, not sure, but your comments motivated me to try them (for the first time), and I'm finding them very useful. Is I work out at home and have very basic equipment, the front squats appear to be hitting muscles that were pretty much neglected in the past. I can only front squat a small % of what I can squat, so I'm going light with 8-10 reps and gradually ramping up the weight. Imo, Front squats are definitely an excellent exercise to help with regular squat form. So thanks for that.

Also, Kudos on sharing such personal information in your TRT thread. People pretty much responded in a mature and respectful fashion, and I think it has helped set a standard for appropriate behaviour on the forum. (Of course, there's always room for inappropriate comments, just only when it's appropriate:) ).

Not sure about all that salad stuff though, def count me out of that:eek:

burlyman30
06-19-2013, 01:06 AM
You probably mentioned front squats in this thread, not sure, but your comments motivated me to try them (for the first time), and I'm finding them very useful. Is I work out at home and have very basic equipment, the front squats appear to be hitting muscles that were pretty much neglected in the past. I can only front squat a small % of what I can squat, so I'm going light with 8-10 reps and gradually ramping up the weight. Imo, Front squats are definitely an excellent exercise to help with regular squat form. So thanks for that.

Also, Kudos on sharing such personal information in your TRT thread. People pretty much responded in a mature and respectful fashion, and I think it has helped set a standard for appropriate behaviour on the forum. (Of course, there's always room for inappropriate comments, just only when it's appropriate:) ).

Not sure about all that salad stuff though, def count me out of that:eek:

Not sure how I missed this comment for the last few days, but let me respond now.

On the front squats, yes, they are a great exercise. They are difficult for me to do at this time because of my shoulder injury, but they target the quads similarly to a hack squat or a smith machine squat because of the more uprightness of the torso. I'm glad to hear you have started these and they have been useful for you.

On the TRT thread, thanks. The personal stuff isn't the easiest stuff for me to share, but I figure that transparency and honesty and the greatest amount of detail possible will make that thread more valuable to others. Hopefully, it can help someone in the future. As for the responses... well, thankfully we have a pretty mature group of guys here who can respond in adult fashion. If we didn't, I'm not sure I'd be ok sharing so much information in the first place. So thanks to all of you guys for that.

burlyman30
06-19-2013, 01:54 AM
Squats went well tonight.

bar x 20
95 x 12
135 x 6
185 x 6
225 x 6
275 x 2
315 x 1
365 x 6 This was work. Form was good, but could be improved on. As it got heavy, I found myself leaning forward more than usual. Depth on the first couple reps was an inch or two shallow, as I was assessing my body's ability to complete full ROM during the exercise while still getting the weight up. Depth dropped into place after that.
225 x 12 Could have done 15+, but could feel the burn pretty good here and decided to shut it down and increase my reps from here each week.

I noticed after dropping down from 365 to 225 that my patellas hurt a bit. It has been a while since I squatted 3 plates+, so I am guessing this is just my knees saying "hey, what are you doing to us?" However, I did find it odd that it was the knee cap, not inside the joint itself. I am guessing it is just a bit of tendon strain and should go away, but I will keep you posted.

Sorrow
06-19-2013, 03:07 PM
Putting in work! Looks like things are coming back at a nice pace.

burlyman30
06-19-2013, 03:18 PM
Putting in work! Looks like things are coming back at a nice pace.

Better than expected, actually. Though 405 could probably go up next week, I will likely stay at 365 and work my form or do a modest jump to 385. I'll just take it one set at a time and see what the body can do. Considering I went into the workout hungry and tired, it turned out well. Knees feel fine today. I think I just put them in a state of shock last night. Legs are moderately sore, but walking and getting into my truck is no problem today.

burlyman30
06-21-2013, 11:07 PM
So I hit a second squat workout this week. Fact of the matter is, though, I am beat up from a previous squat and DL workout this week. I went up to 365 again, but just for a double. Could have done more, probably 4, but just did two super slow and real deep. Wanted to focus on a couple perfect reps. Dropped down to 225 for a slow and deep set of 12. Legs were worked, but not thrashed. Felt like I did enough for today.

Finished off with some back hypers for the hams, and moved on to calves.

Oddball thing... after the set at 365 which felt fine, I had to manipulate my patella again and really move the knee about because there was a sharp pain on the right knee (the better of the two). I did eventually get it to go away so I could complete the last set.