PDA

View Full Version : Fingertip Stitches Rehab/ HELP COBALT!!!

campcoll88
06-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Cobalt I feel your pain...kinda. So i just got four stitches on my fingertip. Sliced it in a cucumber slicer but the doc managed to save the tip. Says not to lift for a few weeks so I'll take at least 2 off before returning with straps and light weight iso exersices.

Yayyyyy painkillers

Any suggestions on recovery/dealing with stitches in the hand and returning to the gym?
Recovery time?
Main concern is just pressure from gripping too hard and bursting the stitches.

markam
06-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Just squat.

campcoll88
06-08-2013, 03:05 PM
Yeah i will do lots of squat variations the first two weeks back.
But when do you think the skin have enough tensile strength to not bust open when pushing/pulling?
Would it be safe after the stitches are removed in 10 days to do some light pulling/pushing with straps or hooks?

markam
06-08-2013, 04:02 PM
If the wounds busts open, you are back to square one. I'd take a month off, maybe less, depends how quick you heal, basically. Definitely wouldn't risk it, and perhaps changing your game for a month may be beneficial, anyway.

I'd def wait longer than ten days, though. I have actually used superglue to hold together a deep cut between my big toe and foot as it just wasn't healing. Worked like a charm. Lol.

campcoll88
06-08-2013, 04:06 PM
Word. Its such a inconvenient location but these things usually are

Cobalt
06-08-2013, 05:44 PM
If all that you did was slice the flesh, you'll be good after 2 weeks.

I put a knife through my left ring finger years back, and after a couple weeks off, I was at it again.

Flesh will bond together pretty fast, just a few days of no stress and its pretty strong. Once the stitches are removed, you should be gtg, but 2 weeks would be playing it safe.

I'm in such a bad spot because it wasn't a cut, it was a smash/tear that took a chunk of flesh and bone with it.

USN HM 350Z
06-08-2013, 06:06 PM
finger splint that bad boy and keep training (just lower the weight to accommodate not using that finger)

burlyman30
06-08-2013, 06:12 PM
Tape it, use hooks, and as long as it doesn't bleed too much, you're good to go. Pretty sure I've been in the gym with similar injuries where I could feel my heart beat pounding at the site of the injury.

campcoll88
06-09-2013, 04:14 PM
thanks for the help guys. feel A LOT better about returning to the gym in 2 weeks with some legs and rotator cuff exercises. I will focus on light weights and increasing ROM for my high bar squat and deadlift.

And then FINALLY I will start my cycle of Mithras when the finger feels up to par. At least this gives me some time to watch some logs and see how this compound acts