PDA

View Full Version : Protein timing and its effects on muscular hypertrophy and strength in weightlifting

Jelisej
06-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Nice study on protein intake, timing, whole-food protein vs protein shake etc....

JISSN | Full text | Protein timing and its effects on muscular hypertrophy and strength in individuals engaged in weight-training (http://www.jissn.com/content/9/1/54)
Abstract:

The purpose of this review was to determine whether past research provides conclusive evidence about the effects of type and timing of ingestion of specific sources of protein by those engaged in resistance weight training. Two essential, nutrition-related, tenets need to be followed by weightlifters to maximize muscle hypertrophy: the consumption of 1.2-2.0 g protein.kg -1 of body weight, and ≥44-50 kcal.kg-1 of body weight. Researchers have tested the effects of timing of protein supplement ingestion on various physical changes in weightlifters. In general, protein supplementation pre- and post-workout increases physical performance, training session recovery, lean body mass, muscle hypertrophy, and strength. Specific gains, differ however based on protein type and amounts. Studies on timing of consumption of milk have indicated that fat-free milk post-workout was effective in promoting increases in lean body mass, strength, muscle hypertrophy and decreases in body fat. The leucine content of a protein source has an impact on protein synthesis, and affects muscle hypertrophy. Consumption of 3–4 g of leucine is needed to promote maximum protein synthesis. An ideal supplement following resistance exercise should contain whey protein that provides at least 3 g of leucine per serving. A combination of a fast-acting carbohydrate source such as maltodextrin or glucose should be consumed with the protein source, as leucine cannot modulate protein synthesis as effectively without the presence of insulin. Such a supplement post-workout would be most effective in increasing muscle protein synthesis, resulting in greater muscle hypertrophy and strength. In contrast, the consumption of essential amino acids and dextrose appears to be most effective at evoking protein synthesis prior to rather than following resistance exercise. To further enhance muscle hypertrophy and strength, a resistance weight- training program of at least 10–12 weeks with compound movements for both upper and lower body exercises should be followed.

burlyman30
06-08-2013, 06:01 PM
Nice find, J.

milehighguy
06-09-2013, 09:46 PM
Nice find, J.

X2

longBallLima
06-09-2013, 10:40 PM
ok, i'll ask the more experienced. so which one is it for you guys? protein with carbs or protein and carbs a bit later to best take advantage of any GH spike?

burlyman30
06-09-2013, 10:59 PM
ok, i'll ask the more experienced. so which one is it for you guys? protein with carbs or protein and carbs a bit later to best take advantage of any GH spike?

Opinions may vary, but I mix 20-25g of peptopro with about 20-25g of carbs in the form of Tang drink mix. I drink about 1/3 on the way to the gym, 1/3 during the workout and 1/3 post workout. Depending on the night, I prefer to come home and mix up a protein shake and then eat a meal about 1.5-2 hours later that includes carbs.

olddawg
06-10-2013, 07:29 AM
that study contradicts some of our recent thinking in that no carbs post workout and no insulin spike period increases insulin sensitivity which in turn would have a greater net effect. Maybe a cycle of the two would be more efficient? For eg. if I was doing a 4 day split, say you cram it into M T W Th, using carbs here for their benefit pre and post, then the other 4 days cardio and no insulin spike whatsoever. I wonder if that would be long enough to increase insulin sensitivity for the up coming 4 (or 3) day split of workouts?

Fat Bill Dwyer
06-10-2013, 07:38 AM
that study contradicts some of our recent thinking in that no carbs post workout and no insulin spike period increases insulin sensitivity which in turn would have a greater net effect. Maybe a cycle of the two would be more efficient? For eg. if I was doing a 4 day split, say you cram it into M T W Th, using carbs here for their benefit pre and post, then the other 4 days cardio and no insulin spike whatsoever. I wonder if that would be long enough to increase insulin sensitivity for the up coming 4 (or 3) day split of workouts?

If you were going to run it like this why not go all the way and just do a proper CBL protocol. You're almost there anyway right?

-Edit-

I still tend to think that pounding carbs after a workout is a REALLY good thing. When it comes to hypertrophy bolus still seems to be better than pulsing, in other words jamming a bunch of protein and sugars into the cells right now will result in a more favorable growth environment than a bunch of smaller pulses that might occur by neglecting the post-workout carb-o-blast.

olddawg
06-10-2013, 07:50 AM
do you think that backloading would be better than splitting the days? I'm wondering on the time neded to increase insulin sensitivity. Can you do that in 16 hours to the point of effectiveness the same as taking 3-4 days off of carbs?

Fat Bill Dwyer
06-10-2013, 05:54 PM
I think those shorter fasts can be very effective if you "prime the pump" so to speak with carb-fasts before hand. Not sure what your training schedule looks like, but if you're only training every other day you would only be pounding carbs every other day which would result in a longer carbless period and hopefully increased insulin sensitivity.

-Edit-

Maybe scope has something to contribute here?

olddawg
06-10-2013, 07:52 PM
I've been on a full out cut, only eating carbs at night (in my sleep) 12 am to 2 am. under 100g, sometimes 50g sometimes 70. I had to go to a 3 day split cause of joints, tendons, etc.... I needed the rest. But a little better now so I've went to a 4 day workout with cardio in between. The question is will fasting from carbs for 16 or 20 hours increase insulin sensitivity as significantly as 3 days. I've done cbl with success, no real way to notice your insulin sensitivity though. maybe it's all small potatoes and won't significantly matter anyway

Scope75
06-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Not sure if a fast of 16-20hrs makes you more insulin sensitive, but waiting longer (3-7 days) will pretty much guarantee that your muscles soak up all the carbs they need and burn the rest of as heat.

CBL and carb cycling use different methods of getting rid of fat and CBL is for gaining mass while slowly stripping the fat where carb cycling is for fatloss while holding onto the mass you already have.

Sperwer
06-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Protein Pre and Post Workout Increases Hypertrophy
Protein Pre and Post Workout Increases Hypertrophy - AnabolicMinds.com (http://anabolicminds.com/forum/content/protein-pre-post-3782/)

weakling
06-14-2013, 11:06 AM
With my very minimal experience I believe no matter how old you are the protein rules are pretty much the same. Protein every 3 hours, before and after workouts and then adjust based on your goal of building or maintaining. I feel carbs are completely different and are completely specific to the person. So unless you are a 35 year old male ectomorph that gets 7 hours of sleep, sits on his ass for 10 hours a day in an office, works out 2-3 hours daily and eats his last meal of the day at 930-10pm you can not follow my carb plan. All I'm saying is that once you dial your carb intake plan it will probably be pretty different from everyone else. Again my experience in this is very very minimal but that's my opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

DJM
06-14-2013, 02:07 PM
^^^ id agree
simplicity is best, sometimes we read too many studies and info and overthink things

burlyman30
06-14-2013, 06:05 PM
It really comes down to this: when the body needs the resources to build muscle, is it readily available to go to work? The body only needs as much as it needs to do that. Not more, not less.