PDA

View Full Version : Carb Backloading?

Grape Ape
06-14-2013, 09:51 PM
No doubt this is the talk of the forum these days, and I am overly intrigued. Problem is all the info on CBL seems to be hidden in secrecy, or a book I have to pay for.

So where is the best place to learn about CBL without dropping a dime?

Jack O'Neill
06-15-2013, 03:17 AM
Just take a look at the forum. You will find all what you want.

And scope75 or I may advice you I think :-)

Link to forum: athlete.io

Scope75
06-15-2013, 06:45 AM
Eat protein and fats all day then have your carbs post workout or backload the night before if your a morning lifter.
That's pretty much what you need to do.
Oh and start out with a 10 day prep of 30 or less carbs a day before you start CBL.

Grape Ape
06-15-2013, 02:21 PM
Thank you. I gathered most of that from on here. Was confused about an article by the Arthur mentioning what kind of training won't work for this diet. Even said DC training wouldn't work. Some BS that certain styles of training dont translocate glute 4 and similar receptors. Sounded like BS to either push his workout routine, or the book. All his writing made it sound like there were all these little rules that if one wasn't followed, the whole diet goes to crap.

Here's my questions: How many hours should I give before training? Can I have carbs intra workout? Should I limit the period of carb consumption to only a few hours or can I go all night? Should the carb free period be longer than the carb up portion? How about fat with my carbs?

olddawg
06-15-2013, 05:31 PM
-my 2 cents, no fat with carbs
-workout carb free so your muscles are going to suck up the carbs afterward, when you carb up that should be enough to get you through your next workout.
-if you workout at night, then eat caarbs after workout until bed, even get up for some carbs if you want. you have to manage how many carbs you intake here though so you don't take more thank you need
-carb free should be longer than the carb portion.

I remember reading somewhere that if you are totally depleted, you can eat 7-8g of carbs per lean body pound. that's 1400+g of carbs for a 200lb man. Fk, or was that 7-8g of carbs per lean kg? can't remember now lol

Macdon1588
06-15-2013, 06:46 PM
The book is worth getting but the crux of the program is carb cycling. If you workout around 2-4, then you carb load on the back side of the day. The carb up period ought to be low fat and not really crazy. I had pretty good success with it strength wise, but my schedule is shit so I went back to carb nite solution. He's going to release a newer version soon hopefully which will better help guys like me who work shift work.

Grape Ape
06-16-2013, 09:54 PM
Would peptopro be out of the question intra-workout?
If I'm on a 3 day split(M,W,F) would it be beneficial to backload on non training days? If not how should I base the diet for those days?

Keep the answers coming, and I'll keep the rep flowing.

Jack O'Neill
06-16-2013, 10:20 PM
Would peptopro be out of the question intra-workout?
If I'm on a 3 day split(M,W,F) would it be beneficial to backload on non training days? If not how should I base the diet for those days?

Keep the answers coming, and I'll keep the rep flowing.

If you're bulking, backload every day
Otherwise backload only after workout after 6-7PM. On non workout days, ULC. No carbs at all

Concerning peptopro I use it intra and post workout as adviced by Kiefer.

Grape Ape
06-16-2013, 10:48 PM
Thanks, I think I've got this down mostly, and this is def geared towards a bulk.

More questions to come...

Jack O'Neill
06-17-2013, 05:18 AM
Slam the carbs Grape Ape :-)

With my exp. too much carbs mean fat gain, even in the afternoon. The harder thing to do, to my mind, is to find the good amount of carbs to eat.

Good luck!

markam
06-17-2013, 05:22 AM
What is the reason for not having carbs post workout? I often workout before midday, and would've thought that immediately post workout would be the best time?

Jack O'Neill
06-17-2013, 07:07 AM
What is the reason for not having carbs post workout? I often workout before midday, and would've thought that immediately post workout would be the best time?

Yes I thought it too but CBL protocol is working according to hormones and eating carbs during the day will do a spike of insulin and this is the first thing to avoid with CBL.

ULC day is done to avoid insulin spike (only prots + fat). Carbs are used in the afternoon when our body is more insulin resistant. A training with high intensity will force tglut cells to move in order to get carbs in the muscular cells.

Eating carbs in the other time of the day will do an insulin spike too buy we are not insulin resistant in the morning. Not at all. Even the contrary.

So if you eat carbs, muscular cells will be fulled with carbs thanks to insulin but fat cells too.

In the case of CBL, this is the move of the tGlut cells which filling the muscular cells. Not the insulin. Normally eating fat is not a problem during backload.

The 2nd aim is to cut quickly the insulin spike (there is a spike with the carbs in the afternoon of course but I repeat, we are more insulin resistant). So a mix of carbs and fat 2h beforr bed is a good idea to cut spike

markam
06-17-2013, 07:55 AM
Yes I thought it too but CBL protocol is working according to hormones and eating carbs during the day will do a spike of insulin and this is the first thing to avoid with CBL.

ULC day is done to avoid insulin spike (only prots + fat). Carbs are used in the afternoon when our body is more insulin resistant. A training with high intensity will force tglut cells to move in order to get carbs in the muscular cells.

Eating carbs in the other time of the day will do an insulin spike too buy we are not insulin resistant in the morning. Not at all. Even the contrary.

So if you eat carbs, muscular cells will be fulled with carbs thanks to insulin but fat cells too.

In the case of CBL, this is the move of the tGlut cells which filling the muscular cells. Not the insulin. Normally eating fat is not a problem during backload.

The 2nd aim is to cut quickly the insulin spike (there is a spike with the carbs in the afternoon of course but I repeat, we are more insulin resistant). So a mix of carbs and fat 2h beforr bed is a good idea to cut spike

I guess I'll just have to try it sometime and see what it does for me. At the moment, I start sipping on 40g carbs half way through training, then a isolate shake immediately after. Next feed will be low carb, low fat, then the next meal is proteins and fats. The only problem I'm having is carb cravings after my workout, but I'm getting better at not giving in to them. Just to add that I'm only eating proteins and fats before I workout, so the only carbs I consume are intra workout, (or should be:) ). My cheat meals happen at the weekend, but I want to be more disciplined than I am at the moment.

Is it true that a insulin spike lasts 3-6 hours?

olddawg
06-17-2013, 08:20 AM
this week i'm going to try m-t-w workouts with some moderate carb backloading and then go carb free the rest of the week and do cardio, maybe on Sunday begin a 24 hour load for the start of the week again. we'll see how it goes

Jack O'Neill
06-17-2013, 01:42 PM
Is it true that a insulin spike lasts 3-6 hours?

It depends on the kind of carbs. High GI carbs will cause a high and quick insulin spike (white bread for ex.). Low GI carbs will do the contrary and spike will last up to 6h maybe more.
The main idea of CBL is to cut as soon as possible insulin on the night in order to burn fat.

- - - Updated - - -

this week i'm going to try m-t-w workouts with some moderate carb backloading and then go carb free the rest of the week and do cardio, maybe on Sunday begin a 24 hour load for the start of the week again. we'll see how it goes

Good luck

Grape Ape
07-22-2013, 10:56 AM
Starting my backload today.

How does this look diet wise?

Breakfast
3 scrambled eggs
1 slice of cheese
Peppers+onions
2 slices pork roll

Lunch
Hamburger
1 slice cheese
1/2 cup cottage cheese
Fresh veggie

Preworkout
All-IN

Intraworkout
Peptopro+powder Gatorade

Postworkout
1 scoop whey protein
1 scoop Carboslin
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup cottage cheese

Backload
3 cups whole milk
1 scoop whey protein
2 slices of Pizza(home made)
2 little Debbie snacks

Training will be at 9-10 PM so that justifies the 14g carbs intra workout. Not sure I will do the fatty carb meal preworkout like Kroger suggest though.

This all comes out to around 3000 calories which is perfect for my start of this bulk. Everything will be adjusted based on how I feel, and I will try and get my carb sources a little more cleaned up if needed. IE: home made treats instead of Littlte Debbie. White rice instead of pizza(Though this Pizza comes from a restaurant I work in and we use some of the freshest ingrediants possible. Even our Fresh Motz in made inhouse.)

May get an extra protein source in durring the bulk depending on what was for dinner with the fam that night. Chicken, pork, beef etc...

olddawg
07-22-2013, 12:03 PM
I gain fat like a catholic priest gets herpes, so I wouldn't eat the pizza (carbs and fat) I'd eliminate all the fat post workout, but that's my body

Grape Ape
07-22-2013, 01:15 PM
I've thought about it, and will adjust as I see fit. Being an insane hardgainer I put on fat about as easily as I put on muscle, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Hard to avoid all the dietary fat, and I do need to get the calories in. Don't want to give up my milk either. We will see how it goes.

Directly from the book: "Don’t worry about the fat: post-training, the insulin response does not stop the after-burn effect of resistance training—the body continues burning fat for up to 36 hours."

I won't ever be fat in my life anyway. Just not build that way, but ultimately I will adjust like I said.

Jack O'Neill
07-22-2013, 01:34 PM
Directly from the book: "Don’t worry about the fat: post-training, the insulin response does not stop the after-burn effect of resistance training—the body continues burning fat for up to 36 hours."

I won't ever be fat in my life anyway. Just not build that way, but ultimately I will adjust like I said.

With my experience I can say that too much fat post workout (in the 2h window) cause fat gain even if Kiefer says the contrary. As for me I prefer now decrease fat amount. Normally fat must be taken 2h before bed (according to the book)

olddawg
07-22-2013, 01:40 PM
tell the truth Ape you just wanna hork down that PIZZA!!!! lol

I've thought about it, and will adjust as I see fit. Being an insane hardgainer I put on fat about as easily as I put on muscle, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Hard to avoid all the dietary fat, and I do need to get the calories in. Don't want to give up my milk either. We will see how it goes.

Grape Ape
07-22-2013, 02:36 PM
Actually I don't care for pizza that much. I just have access to large ammounts of it 6 days a week, and its a recommendation of the book. I don't want to give up the little Debbie/Tasty Cake treats. I'm going to atleast see how I favor over the next three weeks.

olddawg
07-22-2013, 03:21 PM
if you are a hard gainer then it might not matter much, I couldn't do it

ryhigh
07-22-2013, 03:56 PM
^^^ this if you're a hard gainer you'll need those extra carbs and fats to help put on the size

Grape Ape
07-22-2013, 04:28 PM
Let's say I was 6ft 135lbs naturally(no eating disorder) when I started training.

ryhigh
07-22-2013, 04:52 PM
How much do you weigh now? I was also pretty skinny when I started I was 6'3 180 about 5 years ago I've been hovering at 230 for a while now

Grape Ape
07-22-2013, 05:24 PM
Heaviest was about 183lbs 15% BF, now about 170ish 10%. I don't weigh myself though. Weight is too psychological.

ryhigh
07-22-2013, 05:33 PM
That's still good man some big gains. Yeah very true I was determined to see what I could get to I got to 245 in my prime but could not stand the amount of food it required, idk how these people walk around 260+ my height and I love food too

Grape Ape
07-22-2013, 06:11 PM
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/attachments/%2071233d1354494946-pr-xtn-all-2012_12_02_18_48_40.jpg%20.att

First pic is day one for me, and the second is last October. 175ish lbs if I had to guess.

This March/April will be five years for me and I hope to hit 190lbs. I expect to gain a quick 10lbs coming off the cut I did. I'm all primed for it.

And yeah, I couldn't imagine the calories it takes to support that kind of weight. My problem last fall/winter was not being able to get my calories up to 4000. I would have been much heavier. I won't make the same mistake though.

ryhigh
07-22-2013, 06:27 PM
Awesome work man! You can hit your goal for sure, just keep up your hard work. Huge difference already, congrats!

Grape Ape
07-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Thanks man. Def a learning experience, and it seems I only get better with time.

Cdsnuts
07-26-2013, 08:25 AM
Starting my backload today.

How does this look diet wise?

Breakfast
3 scrambled eggs
1 slice of cheese
Peppers+onions
2 slices pork roll

Lunch
Hamburger
1 slice cheese
1/2 cup cottage cheese
Fresh veggie

Preworkout
All-IN

Intraworkout
Peptopro+powder Gatorade

Postworkout
1 scoop whey protein
1 scoop Carboslin
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup cottage cheese

Backload
3 cups whole milk
1 scoop whey protein
2 slices of Pizza(home made)
2 little Debbie snacks

Training will be at 9-10 PM so that justifies the 14g carbs intra workout. Not sure I will do the fatty carb meal preworkout like Kroger suggest though.

This all comes out to around 3000 calories which is perfect for my start of this bulk. Everything will be adjusted based on how I feel, and I will try and get my carb sources a little more cleaned up if needed. IE: home made treats instead of Littlte Debbie. White rice instead of pizza(Though this Pizza comes from a restaurant I work in and we use some of the freshest ingrediants possible. Even our Fresh Motz in made inhouse.)

May get an extra protein source in durring the bulk depending on what was for dinner with the fam that night. Chicken, pork, beef etc...

What time do you usually eat your breakfast? Not sure if it was mentioned here but you're going to want to push your calorie consumption towards later in the day. For best results you should wait to have breakfast until you've been awake for three hours or so. You're most insulin sensitive when you first get up. Waiting to have your first meal also burns more fat in the process.

Since doing this I've been training fasted and don't have my first meal until after I lift, so I don't eat until about noon or later. I now actually prefer training on an empty stomach.

Program definitely works. I thought I was losing weight because my pants were getting looser and when I hopped on the scale I was actually up five pounds. It was a good feeling. Strength is also up.

Grape Ape
07-26-2013, 01:23 PM
I wake about 9 am and eat between 11-12 pm. I do the AM Accelerator with coconut oil and 10g isolate. I actually read the book.

Only 6 days in so far so still skeptical that my carb sources aren't going to make me fat. I do look phenomenal right after my backload though.

Still dialing in my calories to make sure I'm getting enough. Training has been solid.

Cdsnuts
07-26-2013, 03:10 PM
I wake about 9 am and eat between 11-12 pm. I do the AM Accelerator with coconut oil and 10g isolate. I actually read the book.

Only 6 days in so far so still skeptical that my carb sources aren't going to make me fat. I do look phenomenal right after my backload though.

Still dialing in my calories to make sure I'm getting enough. Training has been solid.

Ok....I have it too. Then I'm preachin to the choir here. I'm doing the Density bulking phase and I love it. I pound em down at night till I'm stuffed and wake up thin with pumped muscles. Best "diet" I've ever done.

Grape Ape
07-26-2013, 10:56 PM
What does your backload look like food wise, and how long have you been on the CBL diet?

Cdsnuts
07-27-2013, 07:11 AM
I've been doing it for about a month...maybe five weeks. My weight increase was definitely due to my muscles being "full" with water and glycogen. I was a typical Paleo eater and avoided carbs for the most part. Never really knew how flat I was walking around. I'm guessing that's where the strength increase came from as well.

My backloads for the most part are clean and gluten free. White rice, Potatoes, corn chips, homemade popcorn and I've been loving the hell outta some gluten free waffles recently. Supposedly the GF stuff has a real high GI because of what they're made from and how their made. So bonus there. Not too mention they're just damn good.

How bout you? You go real dirty like they say to do?

Grape Ape
07-27-2013, 07:38 AM
Pretty much have this week. Refer back to my earlier posts. Should explain.

I'll probably be adjusting to cleaner sources somewhat. I have no gluten intolerance however. Can eat all the grains I want and feel fine. I was avoiding them the last 6-8 weeks however.

I'm coming off less than 100g carbs a day. Couldn't believe how flat I was after my first load. Dropped about 4% body fat, but felt I had lost a good deal.of LBM. Looks like much less lost once I filled back up. Feels good.