PDA

View Full Version : Body Opus

Sperwer
06-18-2013, 04:10 AM
I was sorting out my study yesterday and happened upon an old copy of Dan Duchaine's Underground Body Opus. After thumbing through it quickly, it occurred to me that, while his focus ostensibly was on ketogenic diet strategies, those led into recomp tactics that emphasize carb-loading Of course, he was talking about one week cycles of ketosis/loading, but it occurred to me to ask, has anyone really added much that is fundamentally new since he wrote?

burlyman30
06-18-2013, 08:04 AM
Funny thing is, is wasn't new when he wrote it, either. Similar strategies, though more archaic, were used in the 60s and 70s. In the 80s and 90s, the low fat, high complex carb diets took the front seat in fat loss and contest prep. When Duchaine wrote his book, it had been long enough ago that the idea seemed new and fresh. Fast forward 20 more years and here we are back to low carb and ketosis, though now there are multiple ways to implement it.

markam
06-18-2013, 08:15 AM
it occurred to me to ask, has anyone really added much that is fundamentally new since he wrote?

Not really. Lyle McDonald refined Body Opus and also says as much. Ultimately, self discipline is the key, imo.

Jack O'Neill
06-18-2013, 08:54 AM
Not really. Lyle McDonald refined Body Opus and also says as much. Ultimately, self discipline is the key, imo.

McDonald called it Ultimate Diet 2. I bought the book 2 years ago and tested the diet. Very interesting and full fonctional to loose fat quickly but hard, very hard to do because :

- workouts are timed :
Monday and tuesday, full body
Thursday, full body in high intensity
Saturday, full body in heavy weights

- low carb days are very low in calories. 30g of carbs required (for brain according to McDonald) and maintenance divided by 2 in kCal
On friday, full orgy of carbs with maintenance x 2 in calories. Many many carbs
On saturday and sunday, maintenance -10%

Hard to train on tuesday and thursday with maintenance / 2. My maintenance is about 2500kCal, I had to eat about 1200kCal up to thursday afternoon.

Maybe it's easier with a merge with IF. Without eating before 12PM or even one meal after workout. It gives a meal with 1200kCal. Maybe..... Now I do IF since more than 1 year, mixed with CBL. Maybe I should try it one more time but I must change my training program for that with full body sets of 15 reps on monday and tuesday.

If you want more info on UD2, I got a master with it now :-)