PDA

View Full Version : O_RYAN's Preparation for Sept 14th SPF Meet in Houston

O_RYAN_007
06-19-2013, 12:44 PM
As the title says, I will be preparing to do my first powerlifting meet on Sept 14th (the meet isn't schduled yet, but my training partner knows the organizer and said it will be a go). I started training at a hardcore bodybuilding/powerlifting/strongman gym up here in Houston and I love it. My intentions for moving to this gym was to get to the next level in powerlifting. After the first day there, I teamed up with a powerlifter that know quite a bit and was willing to take me under his wing. We have access to a monolift (from westside barbell), an EliteFTS competition bench, a reverse hyper machine from Westside, competition bars, chains, and a GHR among a lot of other great equipment.

I'll be posting my training along with other stuff moving up to the meet. I'm currently around 188#s right now, so I feel I'm just going to compete in the 181# class rather than the 198# class.

Current Maxes:

Squat: 525
Bench: 325 (following comp rules)
Deadlift: 585

Glad to have you guys on board.

DJM
06-19-2013, 12:45 PM
this im into!!!!

O_RYAN_007
06-19-2013, 12:46 PM
I'll be competing raw, just as an FYI.

DJM
06-19-2013, 12:55 PM
oh baby i like it rawwwww

JM1000
06-19-2013, 12:56 PM
Yeeeeah budddy!

keep us updated and your new gym sounds pretty cool!

nate3993
06-19-2013, 12:58 PM
oh baby i like it rawwwww

doesnt everyone?? ;)

O_RYAN_007
06-19-2013, 01:00 PM
doesnt everyone?? ;)

You would!

- - - Updated - - -

Yeeeeah budddy!

keep us updated and your new gym sounds pretty cool!

It's a great gym with awesome people and great music.

Scope75
06-19-2013, 01:01 PM
I'm in for this...

Damn nice numbers already too.

burlyman30
06-19-2013, 01:16 PM
Great numbers for a 181er lifting raw. I'm definitely in. Have you dropped bodyweight a bit? I thought you were around 2 bills. If you start lifting with some knowledgeable guys, don't be surprised if your bodyweight goes up with your PRs. Once I started lifting heavier again, I found myself starving all the time and had to up my calories to feed the muscle. Next thing I knew, I had put on a few pounds.

Rodja
06-19-2013, 01:27 PM
FYI, if you hit those numbers, you'll total elite.

O_RYAN_007
06-19-2013, 01:33 PM
FYI, if you hit those numbers, you'll total elite.

What total does one need to be in total elite in the 181 range and 198?

O_RYAN_007
06-19-2013, 01:36 PM
Great numbers for a 181er lifting raw. I'm definitely in. Have you dropped bodyweight a bit? I thought you were around 2 bills. If you start lifting with some knowledgeable guys, don't be surprised if your bodyweight goes up with your PRs. Once I started lifting heavier again, I found myself starving all the time and had to up my calories to feed the muscle. Next thing I knew, I had put on a few pounds.

I was up right around 202 a couple months back, but since I've been tweaking my diet to lean down a little. My lady likes me leaner, which I do too... But I figured slowly dropping a couple pounds over the coarse of the next few months won't be too difficult while still maintaining my strength. In working with my training partner for just 1.5 weeks, I've managed to correct my horrible setup on bench. I still have a long way to go, but I'm taking his direction really well.

h2s
06-19-2013, 02:16 PM
Nice, in.

Macdon1588
06-19-2013, 02:32 PM
I'm in for this.

naeydrin
06-19-2013, 02:35 PM
In ftw!

O_RYAN_007
06-19-2013, 02:53 PM
Raw Total Elite at 181: 1396
Raw Total Elite at 198: 1471

Sorrow
06-19-2013, 03:01 PM
I'm in!

burlyman30
06-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Raw Total Elite at 181: 1396
Raw Total Elite at 198: 1471

Good info... I'm not there, but I'm not that far either. Kinda surprised, actually.

Jelisej
06-19-2013, 05:53 PM
You've done incredible progress. I wish you a good success in your competition!

O_RYAN_007
06-19-2013, 06:14 PM
You've done incredible progress. I wish you a good success in your competition!

Thanks bud, glad to have you on board!

O_RYAN_007
06-19-2013, 06:31 PM
Monday 6/17: Deadlifts Day

Deadlifts w 120# of Chains (work to singles of 65% Max):
135x8
185x5
225x3
275x3
325x3
345x3
345x3
Moved to heavy Singles
375x1
395x1
395x1

SLDL w 2" deficit:
225x5
275x5
325x5
375x3

Weighted Decline Sit Ups w 50# DB on GHR
4x12
Grip work 4x12

Close Grip Lat Pull-downs:

4x12 @ 120#s.

burlyman30
06-19-2013, 07:07 PM
Nice. ^^^ Can you explain the rationale for chain use for me? I know precious little about the whens and whys of it.

O_RYAN_007
06-19-2013, 07:31 PM
Nice. ^^^ Can you explain the rationale for chain use for me? I know precious little about the whens and whys of it.

Accommodating resistance. It provides a loading effects to the bar on the way up and a deload on the way down. I'm sure others like Rodja and Sorrow can come in with way more details on the subject.

Rodja
06-19-2013, 08:26 PM
Main purpose is to train the body for bar speed. Chains are easier on the body than bands.

O_RYAN_007
06-19-2013, 08:56 PM
Main purpose is to train the body for bar speed. Chains are easier on the body than bands.

I can attest to this since I started using chains. The bands are hard on the body... As soon as I would unrack the bar, I would feel as if that bar wanted to either drive me into the ground or drive the bar straight into my chest. I like chains better.

burlyman30
06-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Great input. Thought it might have something to do with speed, but wasn't sure. Thanks.

Grape Ape
06-19-2013, 10:09 PM
Fuck yes for this.

O_RYAN_007
06-20-2013, 05:29 AM
Tuesday was Bench/Upper, Wed was an off day (much needed) and today we'll work up to almost max on squats in the Monolift. I've been stretching in the sauna everyday (at lunch) and this has def helped my recovery and soreness. My training partner also told me about "The Soak." He says after he soaks in that and epson salt, he feels like he just had a massage. I purchased this and the original sling-shot from Mark Bell. My training partner really likes his and he said it will help reduce shoulder injury while being able to overload the bar on bench days. He has all sort of training equipment and gadgets that we use during training. He actually owns the chains, the mono lift, the elitefts bench, the competition bars, and the reverse hyper machine.

Scope75
06-20-2013, 06:42 AM
Sounds like you found the right guy to work with, and that gym sounds badass.

O_RYAN_007
06-20-2013, 07:11 AM
Sounds like you found the right guy to work with, and that gym sounds badass.

I agree 100%! I'm extremely excited every time I go the gym again.

O_RYAN_007
06-20-2013, 07:10 PM
Squat day, I feel like I'm going to puke and diarrhea at the same time!!!!!!!!!!!!! GGAAAAWWWWWWW!!!!

Sorrow
06-20-2013, 07:34 PM
Squat day, I feel like I'm going to puke and diarrhea at the same time!!!!!!!!!!!!! GGAAAAWWWWWWW!!!!

Ok, so your doing right.. j/k

Only thing I'd add about chains / band work is that depending on how you use the chains (I usually have it set so the chains are completely off the floor on the lift I'm doing) there is some swinging from the chains thats adds some stability work. And bands tend to create a bar path if there is any kind of angle from where they are mounted. But, they can be used to make the lockout harder, or make the lower portion of a lift easier somewhat simulating lifting gear.

Last saturday I wanted to make the lockout harder on my deadlifts. So I had blue bands over the bar. So while there was 495 lbs in real weight on the bar, at lockout it felt like it was nearly 700lbs. On of the downsides is I pull conventional, while my partner is shorter and pulls sumo. So while there is nearly 200lbs of resistance at lockout for me, my partner doesn't pull the bands as far so on the same setup he got around 130 lbs of resistance at full lockout.
Alternatively, we could have hung the bands from the ceiling and used them to help start the weight off the floor and worked the lockout that way.

At any rate glad you've got a meet in mind. I find it helps with the focus when you know your going to be putting it all out there on the platform.

O_RYAN_007
06-20-2013, 10:20 PM
Ok, so your doing right.. j/k

Only thing I'd add about chains / band work is that depending on how you use the chains (I usually have it set so the chains are completely off the floor on the lift I'm doing) there is some swinging from the chains thats adds some stability work. And bands tend to create a bar path if there is any kind of angle from where they are mounted. But, they can be used to make the lockout harder, or make the lower portion of a lift easier somewhat simulating lifting gear.

Last saturday I wanted to make the lockout harder on my deadlifts. So I had blue bands over the bar. So while there was 495 lbs in real weight on the bar, at lockout it felt like it was nearly 700lbs. On of the downsides is I pull conventional, while my partner is shorter and pulls sumo. So while there is nearly 200lbs of resistance at lockout for me, my partner doesn't pull the bands as far so on the same setup he got around 130 lbs of resistance at full lockout.
Alternatively, we could have hung the bands from the ceiling and used them to help start the weight off the floor and worked the lockout that way.

At any rate glad you've got a meet in mind. I find it helps with the focus when you know your going to be putting it all out there on the platform.

When we added chains to our squats last week, we had them set with about 2 links on the floor. We used these straps to hang the chains at all different heights. Elite FTS (http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=139&pid=5639)

On deadlifts on monday, we fkn killed it (moved up to 395x1x3 sets with 120# of chains). Lockout was a BITCH!!! But I really liked the addition of the chains on all the lifts.

I'm having trouble spreading my hips, flaring my knees, and hitting depth, so we're trying to fix my form while using about 65% of my max. Towards the end, I was really getting things down (using 315 hitting triples). After we did all those sets, we moved onto reverse bands squats (i did triples and my partner did singles) I did 4 sets of 375. These guys really helped me flare my knees and hit depth on every single set. I think I was just so used to not having any sort of spotter on squats, so I never really went to parallel or past parallel for that matter. We'll be working towards getting my form down on every lift, NO MATTER WHAT!

I squat pretty wide, and I Sumo deadlift (just an fyi).

O_RYAN_007
06-21-2013, 08:02 AM
SO I must have had a stomach bug yesterday, because about 45 mins into our training session (2 hrs long) I my stomach started cramping real bad. My partner thought he was just pushing me too hard, but I knew something didn't feel right. He thought maybe I wasn't breathing right, but I knew it wasn't that. I pushed through all the sets and managed not to shit myself, but I continued onto doing reverse hypers with 3 plates on each side for 4 sets of 8 while super setting decline abs. This did not feel good and my stomach was cramping really bad!

As soon as I got home, I proceeded to the toilet! This happened all evening long, and into the night. This bug or food poisoning really fkd up my stomach. I called in sick today. Right around 3:30 am I had to use the Restroom again, and after I took some imodium and eventually went to bed around 4:30am.

I'm feeling better now, but I haven't attempted to put anything into my stomach. We'll see how it goes. Either way, I think I showed my training partner how fkn dedicated I am by pressing on the way I did yesterday.

burlyman30
06-21-2013, 08:04 AM
If you want to prove your dedication, go back and pull deads today. Lol

O_RYAN_007
06-21-2013, 08:11 AM
If you want to prove your dedication, go back and pull deads today. Lol

I don't think so, my lower posterior chain is slammed from the reverse hypers!!! My legs and hips actually feel great, surprisingly. We do train tomorrow morning, so I'll have to do a re-feed today if my body allows. I need FOOD!!!

O_RYAN_007
06-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Sat 6-22: RE Upper

Strict OH Presses: (no bouncing)

Bar 1x25
95x8
135x5
155x5
135x8
135x8
135x8

This is definitely my weak point. I never did OH presses, maybe standing DB presses, but not regularly. Getting the OH press # up is going to get my bench up for sure.

Incline Bench:

135x8
155x5
175x3
195x3
205x3

T-Bar Rows:

3plates and a quarter 4x12

Circuit: Hammer curls (40#x8 db) Facepulls (80#s x 10) Hanging leg raises (15) 4 sets

Calves: Super set : donkey calf raises 4x10 (240#s) (Instructional Fitness - Donkey Calf Raises - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHOudYjiB9A)) + calf raise machine not sure how much weight it was 4x10.

I think that was it. Great work today despite having dropped 3.5#s from the day before's food poisoning sickness.

O_RYAN_007
06-22-2013, 02:32 PM
We'll be doing a mock meet on Tuesday to get our numbers to base our training off of.

h2s
06-23-2013, 01:08 PM
We'll be doing a mock meet on Tuesday to get our numbers to base our training off of.

Good luck.

O_RYAN_007
06-23-2013, 07:54 PM
Good luck.

Thanks good sir!

VayneZ
06-24-2013, 08:28 AM

You should record and post a video bro, so we could catch a bit of the action! ;)

O_RYAN_007
06-24-2013, 01:53 PM
I'll try and see if I can get someone to catch the action for me.

h2s
06-25-2013, 01:13 PM
I'll try and see if I can get someone to catch the action for me.

Sounds good :)

O_RYAN_007
06-25-2013, 02:20 PM
I'm super amped up about today! I haven't trained since Sat so I'm nice and fresh. I've been stretching like crazy these past could days and rolling my entire body.

O_RYAN_007
06-25-2013, 08:13 PM
Mock Meet Number:

Squat: 380 (got this easy) when for 420, but I just couldn't explode out of the hole.
Take away: need to work more on adductors and abductors to help me explode out of the hole.

Bench: 290 (got this really smooth the entire way. got great hip drive and glute thrust) went for 315 but failed tp get a lock out on both attempts.

Deadlifts: 510 I i was fkn spent after everything that we had done in the 2.5 hrs, but I got this solid. I went for 540, but that was a complete fail, lol!

I have vids for all the lifts fail and cleared (except the 380 squat) but I won't be able to post them up until I get back from vacation, next week. I might need some help uploading them, all tips are welcomed.

Overall, I was pretty satisfied with the results... No, I didn't hit all the maxes that I listed on page one, but the way I see it is, I really wasn't lifting according any type of federation rules... Now I am. I got my "new" PRs that I will be training against. We'll take all next week off, and come back to hit another strength block for 11 weeks; we'll take the week before the meet off. The meet has actually been moved out to Sept 21st.

Total (6/25): 1,180#s
That's 217#s off hitting total elite, but I'm GONNA hit TOTAL ELITE!! Maybe not this meet, but I will inch closer as time passes, I KNOW THIS!!

Sorrow
06-25-2013, 08:33 PM
Solid lifts man. People tend to underestimate the toll doing max attempts in all three lifts in the same day can take. In a well run meet with a good turn out you'll have a better chance at recovering and getting some extra lbs back.

Don't underestimate how helpful it can be to getting into a set warm up routine. It takes some of the guess work out if you know in advance what you are going to use and when to warm up. You don't want to start warming up 2 flights early and then get cold waiting, and you also for sure don't want to get behind and not warm up or feel rushed. Can cost you an easy opener. Just my 2 cents.

Good work man, sure your going to put some serious numbers up!

O_RYAN_007
06-25-2013, 08:47 PM
Solid lifts man. People tend to underestimate the toll doing max attempts in all three lifts in the same day can take. In a well run meet with a good turn out you'll have a better chance at recovering and getting some extra lbs back.

Don't underestimate how helpful it can be to getting into a set warm up routine. It takes some of the guess work out if you know in advance what you are going to use and when to warm up. You don't want to start warming up 2 flights early and then get cold waiting, and you also for sure don't want to get behind and not warm up or feel rushed. Can cost you an easy opener. Just my 2 cents.

Good work man, sure your going to put some serious numbers up!

Thanks my friend! I will agree with the the toll back to back maxes took on me. I was drinking PN's CarboSlin and Peptopro intra, along side some of PNs Amino infusion with some electrolytes mixes in my water. I know these things can help, but getting a real meal in between will def help me recover! I got in a really good stretching session before any warm up sets, so I was nice and loose the entire time.

burlyman30
06-25-2013, 09:47 PM
Nice work, good #s. You are right about lifting to certain standards making a world of difference. Once you get more comfortable with them, those #s will start coming back up. I'm excited for you and the process you are about to go through. Very cool.

O_RYAN_007
06-25-2013, 09:55 PM
Nice work, good #s. You are right about lifting to certain standards making a world of difference. Once you get more comfortable with them, those #s will start coming back up. I'm excited for you and the process you are about to go through. Very cool.

I haven't been this excited/anxious about something like this for a very long time... Last time I felt the anxiety levels like I did today, I was running track in HS (this was amplified times 10!!) I'm glad I have the lifting partner I do, he gives me confidence when I need it the most. He's patient with me, always trying to help correct my form or giving good tips in getting better. He's starting to ask me things now, which makes me feel even more confident in myself. I have only scratched the surface of the world of Powerlifting, but I'm in it to win it; in it for the long haul. I TRAIN for a PURPOSE NOW!

LBC-83
06-26-2013, 06:34 AM
Really jealous man. I've had one lifting partner and he was far from reliable.

O_RYAN_007
06-27-2013, 09:02 PM
Really jealous man. I've had one lifting partner and he was far from reliable.

I've usually been the person that pushed everyone I've trained with... But I've been really blessed to have the training partner that I have now. He's much stronger than I am, and that makes me push My limits to "catch the rabbit" if you will.

O_RYAN_007
07-01-2013, 08:18 PM
This week will be an off week from training, I need it. I will be doing some GPP work this week, up till wed, but thats about it. My shoulder has been bothering, so I'm going to start having my wife kinesio tape my back for my shoulders tomorrow. Help take some work from the internal rotators off and make the external rotators work more.

O_RYAN_007
07-08-2013, 08:06 PM
Deadlift Training:

Work up to (5sets of 2)80% max
150x5
240x3
330x3
420x2
420x2
420x2
420x2
420x2

Reverse Band Deadlifts 85%:

440x4setx3reps

Bent Over Rows:
185x3setsx10reps

GHR:
3x8

Weighted Sit-Ups on GHR with 50# DB

4x10

Having the almost 2 weeks rest was definitely great on my body, and I felt very fresh today. I wanted to 100% max out, but 80-85% is where we will train on max days. Tomorrow is bench and I'm really pumped up.

VayneZ
07-10-2013, 07:09 PM
You felt that the week of made you stronger resistance wise as well? Asking because of so many sets of back to back deadz

O_RYAN_007
07-11-2013, 05:33 AM
You felt that the week of made you stronger resistance wise as well? Asking because of so many sets of back to back deadz

I was really fresh, and I KNOW the week off gave me the strength and endurance. I felt really good throughout the entire workout.

O_RYAN_007
07-11-2013, 05:39 AM
I got another stomach bug on tues and wed, so I didn't train on (i didn't work yesterday) either of the days. It was pretty bad! Once I started taking some good probiotics, I really started to feel better. Not 100%, but it made things better. This morning I definitely feel great, and I'll proceed taking probiotics for LIFE!

VayneZ
07-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Soon after my cycle I could use a good off week as well...

sucks about the stomach issues bro, which probiotics are you on?

O_RYAN_007
07-11-2013, 06:58 PM
I got on some inner-eco probiotic kefir liquid. I'm feeling way better and I was able to train today. My hips ARE NOT LIKING ME! I think I need to switch to traditional stance squats. I felt a horrible pop in my left hip on one of my last sets. I know it's not too bad, but it just doesn't feel good. I've been stretching like a mofo, hip mobility stuff, but hitting depth with wide stance is literally a pain in the hip. I feel it can't be good for the long run. My hips don't hurt me during sumo anymore since I adjusted the height I'm pulling from... So I'm good on that front, but I need to rethink the whole wide-stance squat deal.

O_RYAN_007
07-16-2013, 05:35 AM
My psoas is the tight muscle. My wife did some trigger point release on the muscle last night and I stretched very good!

Yesterday was ME Deadlift same workout was last week. We will be be doing a 10 week strength block going into the meet which is Sept 21st.

The psoas is still really tight but I really didn't have any issues deadlifting yesterday.

O_RYAN_007
07-16-2013, 07:18 PM
Good news about the psoas muscle, its a lot less tight today. The trigger point release the wife did on me last night hurt like a mo fo, but its def helping!!

DE Bench Day:
40% against the mini monster bands.
2x3
45% against mini monster bands.
2x3
50% against mini monster bands
2x3reps

Floor Presses @65% max with 1 sec pause at the bottom
5x5

Incline Flys:

3x8 @ 70#s

Incline Close Grip Bench:
3x8 @ 135

Tricep Push-downs using 5" pipe.
130# 3setsx15 reps

Face-Pulls:

3 sets x 10 reps 80#s

Conditioning work:

Hitting tractor with sledge hammer

3 sets of 20 reps each side.

VayneZ
07-18-2013, 07:11 PM
I just imagine spoas must be a very terrible pain area for muscle pain... Must be good to have a wife that knows how to hit the triggering points! :p

Talking about conditioning work, how do you feel overall about your conditioning since you started training for the meet?? Personally I feel that heavy ass compound movements have brought up my conditioning way much more than HIIT workouts.

O_RYAN_007
07-18-2013, 09:48 PM
Squat Day:

My psoas is still really tight, but I stretched a lot in the sauna today at lunch and about 20 mins before my workout. I told my training partner that I was still not ready to go heavy or do multiple reps at a time.

Barx6
Barx6
150x3
250x2
250x2
250x1
250x1
250x1

I was able to hit below parallel on the last three sets. We brought my stance in closer and moved the bar a little lower on my back and that really got me sitting back nicely. I wasn't able to completely spread my hips since they are still super tight and with the pain in the psoas, but I managed to hit below parallel the last couple sets. It really built my confidence despite this nagging pain and tightness. No more lower body work for the week until Monday, so I will be able to rest up and stretch a good amount these next couple days.

Quad curls:
130x15
140x15
160x15

This had my quads burning like crazy!

Reverse Hypers:

2plates and a 25 on each side
3x8

standing blast strap ab work w 90#s
4x10

Kettle bell swings 50 pounder
4 sets of 8 reps.

O_RYAN_007
07-18-2013, 09:55 PM
I just imagine spoas must be a very terrible pain area for muscle pain... Must be good to have a wife that knows how to hit the triggering points! :p

Talking about conditioning work, how do you feel overall about your conditioning since you started training for the meet?? Personally I feel that heavy ass compound movements have brought up my conditioning way much more than HIIT workouts.

We're not doing crazy amount of conditioning, but I will say our Repetition Effort Days have really gotten me in shape. Doing 3-5 working sets of 8 reps for 55% of our max with 120#s of chains get my breathing hard!! But I'm in great condition. I push my training partner in this realm. He's not slow by any means, but I like to push the pace a little quicker. Don't get me wrong, we get a good amount of rest between sets, but I've been trying to cut the time down a tad... Our training sessions are around 2-2.5 hrs depending on the day.

My wife did some more trigger point releases on the psoas and its feeling amazing considering I squatted today. I've been stretching the hell out of it, putting heat on it, getting in the jacuzzi, getting in the wet sauna. I'm doing as much flexibility work and mobility work as possible to loosen things up and ease the pain; it's working.

weekend
07-19-2013, 03:33 AM
Quad curls?! Enlighten me

O_RYAN_007
07-19-2013, 07:48 AM
Quad curls?! Enlighten me

I call them quad curls but I guess they are typically referred to as leg extensions.

O_RYAN_007
07-23-2013, 07:17 AM
Dead Day: A Mix of RE and ME deads
Off the platform:
150x8
240x8
290x5
310x8
330x8
330x8

Deads off 45# bumper plates @ 80% of max:

420x3
420x3
420x3

GHR:

3*12

Weighted abs (4x12) w 50# db on the GHR w Grip work (sets of 8 reps each hand) 4 total sets.

My hips/psoas muscle is getting better, but its still a little bothersome. I've been stretching like crazy, and it's really helping. It didn't bother me one bit during yesterdays training session.

O_RYAN_007
07-25-2013, 07:18 AM
Weight down to 185 this morning! I'm pretty excited since I'm really not trying all that hard to drop weight. Strength remains the same, and so are my energy levels. I'm still eating a good amount, but just dropping carbs here and there. I'll be competing in the 181 class, so I have still have about 10 wks before the meet; it was pushed back till Sept 21st.

O_RYAN_007
07-29-2013, 01:54 PM
I don't know what I was saying about still having 10 wks before the meet in that last post. I have 6 more training weeks, and then one week off before the meet. It's a total of 7 more weeks. I'll get all my paper work in by Wed of this week. Things are starting to feel really real! I'm really excited and anxious at the same time. Training has been going great, and the hip flexor is also doing good. It's still not a 100%, but I'm about 75% right now, maybe a little better.

Sorrow
07-29-2013, 08:06 PM
Hell yeah man, that point of no return when you send off the money and the form.. love it! The only time I get more fired up is when the switch flips and Im in for the kill when I see the squat bar loaded at the meet.. Good to see your feeling better! dial it all in and go put some numbers up!

O_RYAN_007
07-29-2013, 08:22 PM
Hell yeah man, that point of no return when you send off the money and the form.. love it! The only time I get more fired up is when the switch flips and Im in for the kill when I see the squat bar loaded at the meet.. Good to see your feeling better! dial it all in and go put some numbers up!

I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel... I'm focusing more, and just getting myself ready, amped up with every training session. Digging deeper, pushing harder, and loving every minute of it!

VayneZ
08-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Use all the pressure as fire on your side!!!

How's your spoas feeling these days bro?

O_RYAN_007
08-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Use all the pressure as fire on your side!!!

How's your spoas feeling these days bro?

Spoas and hip flexors are still a little tight, I'm not quite at a 100% yet, but I was able to hit ME Squats last thursday with 85% without much pain at all. I've been stretching and rolling every afternoon since last week, and that's helped loosen me up tremendously! I'm down to 184 as of this morning. I didn't drink at all this weekend, so I'm down 2.5#s in 1 week. My strength hasn't suffered at all.

h2s
08-07-2013, 10:23 PM
Spoas and hip flexors are still a little tight, I'm not quite at a 100% yet, but I was able to hit ME Squats last thursday with 85% without much pain at all. I've been stretching and rolling every afternoon since last week, and that's helped loosen me up tremendously! I'm down to 184 as of this morning. I didn't drink at all this weekend, so I'm down 2.5#s in 1 week. My strength hasn't suffered at all.

Nice update

O_RYAN_007
08-08-2013, 08:04 PM
Today was squat day and I'm still feeling the pain in my hip flexor. It's just completely annoying at this time! I can do a couple squats without much pain, but today was RE squat day and we were doing sets of 8 with 65% of our max. It didn't feel too good, I just don't know what to do at this point. I'm not going to back out of the meet, but I'm worried if I push it too hard, I'm going to really fk things up. It doesn't bother me during deadlifts at all, it just hurts when i break parallel coming out of the whole.

I've been stretching everyday at lunch in the sauna, and rumble-rolling my entire body as well... So I'm doing everything I can do in the mobility/flexibility realm, but I still feel that damn pain. I don't think it's torn by any means, but I just can't figure it out.

Rodja
08-08-2013, 09:38 PM
Have you tried flossing the hips?

O_RYAN_007
08-09-2013, 05:31 AM
Have you tried flossing the hips?

I do it twice a week. I had my wife do some trigger point release therapy last night and she also massaged the area. Its just an extremely sore hip flexor. I guess i need to add flossing when i stretch. i typically floss before i deadlift and squats. howlong to you recommend doing it?

Rodja
08-09-2013, 06:30 AM
I do it twice a week. I had my wife do some trigger point release therapy last night and she also massaged the area. Its just an extremely sore hip flexor. I guess i need to add flossing when i stretch. i typically floss before i deadlift and squats. howlong to you recommend doing it?

Which technique do you use for the hips? They're tricky in that one small adjustment in technique can make or break the efficacy. I floss my hips at least twice per week.

O_RYAN_007
08-09-2013, 09:13 AM
Which technique do you use for the hips? They're tricky in that one small adjustment in technique can make or break the efficacy. I floss my hips at least twice per week.

Are you asking which type of flossing technique I use?

Rodja
08-09-2013, 10:32 AM
Are you asking which type of flossing technique I use?

Yes.

O_RYAN_007
08-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Yes.

This is close to the way I do it. Start at 30 sec.
New hip flossing tweaks for anterior chain muscle stiffness - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVcQuaM-OSo)

But I actually doing it standing, tighten the glutes, then lean back a little.

O_RYAN_007
08-09-2013, 12:58 PM
I don't think I'm using a heavy enough band. I'm actually using the monster mini (onyx). It looks like I should be using the super heavy band to floss.

The video below has to be the best video I've seen from Kelly Starrett for flossing the hips. I can't wait to give this a try!

Episode 269/365: On the Spot MobRx for Tight Hips - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRmT1mja4uk)

Rodja
08-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Definitely get a thicker band.

Try this:
New hip flossing tweaks for anterior chain muscle stiffness - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVcQuaM-OSo)

O_RYAN_007
08-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Definitely get a thicker band.

Try this:

I've been doing this but I wasn't on my knee while I was doing it... This was the first video I posted, but I will follow this exact technique and I will use a thicker band.

O_RYAN_007
08-12-2013, 12:18 PM
I flossed my hips today at lunch with my super heavy band, and my hips feel really good. I did the techniques in both vids and they worked great. I will floss 3-4 times this week along with adding 10-15 mins on the stair climber at lunch, and 2 hr training session after work. I think I may even get up a little earlier in the am do do 5 sets of 75 using the jump rope outside.

This weekend I ate like crap, but surprisingly I weighed in at 184 this morning. We'll see what my true weight it tomorrow since I usually hold a little water from the weekends until Tuesday.

O_RYAN_007
08-12-2013, 01:14 PM
I will also note that I started taking Intimidate and Prolactrone on wed, and I have already started noticing an increase in libido and bonage. I like this natty stack already!

O_RYAN_007
08-14-2013, 07:53 AM
8-13-13: ME Bench Day

Flat Bench work up to 85% of max for 4setsx2reps
135*10
185*5
225*3
255*4*2

Reverse Band Bench Press @90% of max w 2 sec pause at bottom (3x3):

285*3*3

Incline Flies:

65*3*10

Incline CG BB Bench:

3*5 @ 165

Tricep Push-downs:

120*12
130*12
140*12

Facepulls:

90*3*8

Conditioning work: Hitting tractor tire w 8# Sledge hammer

5 set of 20 each side

At lunch I got in 15 mins on the stair climber and 6 sets of 75 on the jump rope. I also flossed my hips again.

Overall, my hips are feeling much better just after adding the super heavy band while flossing. I'll do 25 mins on the stair climber today and 5 sets of 75 on the jump rope along with another round of hip flossing.

Monday morning I weighed in at 184 (I drank beer this weekend and ate like shit) and Tues and this morning I weighed in at 185.5. I've been adding cereal and milk to my post workout meal, so I will def kick this. I just add a little carboslin to my post workout peptopro shake to get my simple carbs in. I'm not eating carbs with dinner. Just carbs for my 2 lunches.

This Saturday will be 5 weeks out to the meet. I'm feeling great about everything, training is going great, and so is the slow cut.

VayneZ
08-14-2013, 05:08 PM
That's mad strength for 185 dude!!!! Around how much bf% would you say you're at????

O_RYAN_007
08-15-2013, 05:26 AM
I say I'm sitting around 14% right now. All 6 abs are visible when flexed, and obliques are coming through... maybe a little less bf haven't checked it though. Thanks brother!

O_RYAN_007
08-16-2013, 10:10 AM
Thursday DE Squats:

Squats w 120# of chains + 55% of max bar weight (for me it is 220)
Bar*8
Bar*8
1 plate *5
1 plate* 3
1 plate + 25 *3
220 (working sets) 4setsx3 reps

Front Squat for singles:

200*3 sets*1 rep

Front Squats for 5 reps:

150*3 sets of 5 reps

Reverse hypers:

2 plates each side 3sets of 8

Ab strap pull downs:
90#*3 sets*13 reps

Reverse walk sled pulls for 40 yards:

3 sets w 4 plates on the sled.

We put in some hella work yesterday! This was seriously the first time since I injured my hip flexor/psoas muscle that I did not feel pain in that area. I've been flossing everyday since monday with the super heavy band and this has helped out tremendously. There was a little discomfort, a tiny bit, but nothing compared to what it was before.

From this saturday, we will have 5 weeks till the meet.

O_RYAN_007
08-20-2013, 07:13 AM
8-19 Monday: DE Deads 55% max with 120# chains.
135*8
225*5
225*3
275*3
275*3
295*3
295*3

Since I'm so short and my stance is so wide, doubling the chains was not really giving me the full effect of the chains. There was quite a bit of chain left on the floor at lock-out, so we adjusted the chains to accommodate this issue. I ended up folding the already doubled chains over the bar. This is hard to explain, but doing so gave me the entire effect of the chains. Though I think it added a little too much at out the whole weight, since all 120#s of chains were on the bar straight out of the hole.

1" Deficit Deads:
315x3 (this felt to light that I pulled the weight so easy I almost well back, I had to drop the bar so that I didn't fall on my ass).
375*3
425*3

3" Deficit (on bumper plates) SLDL: Double over hand to work grip
315*3
315*3
315*3

Bench over rows:

225*5
225*5
225*5

Decline Sit Ups on the GHR Machine w 65# db:
3*12

supersetted with grip work using grippers (200)
3*8 holding for 5 secs each grip using only the last 3 fingers(from the middle finger to the pinky)

I'm definitely feeling stronger. We're putting in sick amounts of hard work, and it's really paying off!!! This morning I weighed in at 183, I've never been this excited to be at this weight. Over the weekend I did some intense manual labor digging a trench with a pick ax about 175ft long and 8" deep. I was able to get some good sleep in on sunday before noon mass, so I wasn't really dragging butt Monday. I feel amazing this morning!! Today will be RE bench.

VayneZ
08-24-2013, 06:46 PM
Dude I'm still so impressed by the strength you have for your weight! How tall are you???

Trying to picture exactly what you did, but still have to get used to certain exercise names. Looking forward for the meet. You gotta film it!

O_RYAN_007
08-25-2013, 11:27 AM
Dude I'm still so impressed by the strength you have for your weight! How tall are you???

Trying to picture exactly what you did, but still have to get used to certain exercise names. Looking forward for the meet. You gotta film it!

I'm 5'7", I'll film all the lifts at the meet and post them on youtube and link everything up here. We put in some sick as work on Thursday for our ME squat day! I'll post the training session up in a bit.

O_RYAN_007
08-26-2013, 08:46 PM
Last ME Deadlift session before the meet:
Deadlifts off 3" Bumper Plate:
135x10
225x6
315x3
405x1
90%(460x1)
92.5% (475x1)
95% (485x1)

Reverse Band Deadlifts work up to 100%:

485x1
500x1
510x1 (100%)
I felt like I could do more so I pushed one more set
530x1 (this is about 105% of my max and I new I could have done 550 for sure)

Deficit SLDL Double overhand grip w straps:
375x2
375x2
375x2

Bent Over Rows w straps:

245x5
245x5
245x5

Decline sit-ups on GHR with 65# DB on chest:
4x13 supper setted with grippers 4x10 w 2 sec hold

I felt amazing today! I felt like I could push more on the Reverse bands and off the bumper plates, my strength is going up big time and I'm all natty right now cause I'm trying to get the wife preggo.

Either way, the meet is 3 weeks from Sat!!!

weekend
08-27-2013, 12:11 AM
Pregnancy tip: get yo girl in doggy style and keep her ass raised above her torso (lordosis) and then bust a nut and wait 2 minutes before you pull out.

O_RYAN_007
08-27-2013, 05:18 AM
Pregnancy tip: get yo girl in doggy style and keep her ass raised above her torso (lordosis) and then bust a nut and wait 2 minutes before you pull out.

Thanx for the tip. The wife had a dr. apt tomorrow, so we'll see if our work has paid off.

Woke up at 182.5 this morning!!!!!

milehighguy
08-27-2013, 06:05 AM
Woke up at 182.5 this morning!!!!!

nice deadlift session...especially at 182lbs

O_RYAN_007
08-27-2013, 07:00 AM
nice deadlift session...especially at 182lbs

Thanks my man! 585 is the number I want to hit at the meet, that will be my 3rd lift.

O_RYAN_007
08-27-2013, 08:31 PM
8/27 DE Bench:

Flat Bench against Monster Mini Bands: work up to 50% of MAX

Bar X 10
Bar x 6
95x5
95x5
145x3
155x3
165x3

BB Floor Presses work to 70% MAX:

3x5 @ 205 w 2 sec pause at bottom

Incline Press:
3x4 @165

Body Weight Dips:
3x11

Face Pulls:
5x8 @ 100#

Conditioning:

Sledge Hammer to Tire:

5x24 each side

VayneZ
08-30-2013, 07:13 PM
Dude amazing sessions, and like milehigh said, very very impressive for 182.5!!! I wish I could spend one day with you training pure ala powerlifting style. Powerlifting is so unknown and dead here on the Island :(

I'm looking forward to the 585's at the meet in 3 weeks! Make sure people record it! You'll nail it bro, I know you will!!!!

O_RYAN_007
09-02-2013, 08:50 PM
Dude amazing sessions, and like milehigh said, very very impressive for 182.5!!! I wish I could spend one day with you training pure ala powerlifting style. Powerlifting is so unknown and dead here on the Island :(

I'm looking forward to the 585's at the meet in 3 weeks! Make sure people record it! You'll nail it bro, I know you will!!!!

I'm getting mentally prepared for this meet! I thought about all weekend long, even though I was out at the beach. I watched my diet and didn't drink very much beer, maybe about 4 the total weekend... The rest was vodka club soda and fresh lime juice. I'm hoping I didn't put much weight on, but i'll weigh in tomorrow morning. I may not report the number wed morning since I know I hold water over the weekend.

O_RYAN_007
09-03-2013, 08:54 PM
9/3 Tues: RE Deads

1x5@ 355#
1x5@ 375#

Deads off 4" bumber plates 2repsX3 sets @90%

2x3@465#

Deficit SLDL:
3x5 @ 285#

Bent Over Rows:
3x3 at 265#

Dead hang pull-ups:
3x7 with 2 sec squeeze at top.

Decline sit-ups on GHR w 85# db on chest 3x8
Super-setted with grippers 3x10 w 2 sec hold.

Double DB pinch grips w Qty.2 20# DB back to back.
3 sets with each hand held for 25 sec each time. TALK ABOUT FINGER CRAMPS!!!

Grape Ape
09-05-2013, 10:51 PM
You strong motherfuckers amaze me to no end.

Sperwer
09-06-2013, 02:39 AM
Hey buddy. Best of luck. I'll be going for the gold in the Seoul Mayor's Cup BB the same day ( actually the day before your time). Let's kick ass for the Swole Source brotherhood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

O_RYAN_007
09-06-2013, 07:21 AM
Hey buddy. Best of luck. I'll be going for the gold in the Seoul Mayor's Cup BB the same day ( actually the day before your time). Let's kick ass for the Swole Source brotherhood.

The meet is actually Sept 21st, I never changed the title of the thread... Either way, I know you will kick some Ace up there brother! We'll both kill it in the name of the Swole Source brotherhood!!!

- - - Updated - - -

You strong motherfuckers amaze me to no end.

I appreciate that my man!

O_RYAN_007
09-06-2013, 07:31 AM
9/4 ME Bench: (last ME bench session before the meet):

Work up to 95% on bench lifting like we would in the meet (with a 1 sec pause at the bottom)
1x8@135
1x5@185
1x3@225
1@275
1@275 (got both reps very clean and smooth) I was having problems forgetting to flare my elbows out after I brought them in tucked in the decent. This created a sticking point at the bottom, but once I started to flare the elbows the weight flew up! I'll work on this.

Reverse Band Bench w Avg bands (orange):
275x2 super easy!!
295x2 (5# PR SUPER EASY!)
325x2 (30# PR SUPER EASY!!!)

Incline Close Grip bench:
205x3setsx2reps

Dips (full range of motion with a 1-2 sec pause at the top, very controlled movement):
3x13

Face-Pulls:
5x8@100#

Sledge hammer to tire:
28 reps each side 5 total sets!

Today we'll train DE Squats and SAT RE Effort OHP and accessory work!!!!

O_RYAN_007
09-13-2013, 09:13 AM
So this was the last week of training for me, and I've cut carbs to once a day (second lunch I eat a sweet potato). I'm sitting at 183# as of this morning, and I wil lbe extremely strict this weekend and all next week. We don't train next week, so I'll keep carbs very low next week. Any good ideas to help cut a little water other than sweating a bunch and doing cardio? My salt intake is very low, as I'm using a salt substitute for just about everything I eat.

O_RYAN_007
09-13-2013, 09:25 AM
9/12 ME Squats:

Work up to 90% of our adjust max:

bar*10
bar*10
150*5
150*3
240*3
290*3
320x2
340*1
360*1 (got this easy!) this is 95% of my training max

Reverse Band Squats against avg bands:

360*2
420*1 (40# training PR and this felt super easy)

TKE w Heavy band:
3 sets of 20 each leg

Reverse Hypers:
4 setsx 10 reps with 2 plates and a 10# on each side.

These things are getting easier and easier, and they felt amazing!

Blast straps ab pull downs 3x12 with 90#

Overall, this was an amazing session! My confidence is high going into this meet... I will be setting PRs no matter what the numbers are, this is my first meet. Training is training, but the meet is the meet. I'm excited and ready to KILL IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

milehighguy
09-13-2013, 10:04 AM
Nice work & I hope you kill it!

burlyman30
09-13-2013, 10:15 AM
Go get 'em!

O_RYAN_007
09-13-2013, 10:27 AM
Yeah buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorrow
09-13-2013, 04:33 PM
Hell yeah man! Lots of hard work about time for the payoff! Go take what's yours!

O_RYAN_007
09-14-2013, 07:06 AM
ITS KILLING TIME!!! Today is the last training day before the meet. I weighted in at 183 this morning, and I've never been this light on a weekend. I'm happy about that!!!!

O_RYAN_007
09-14-2013, 07:26 AM
I love demiurge!!!!!!!!!!

Bucks
09-14-2013, 09:37 AM
Give'em hell man!

xxiv
09-14-2013, 11:16 AM
good luck, lets see some vids.

O_RYAN_007
09-15-2013, 07:01 AM
I'll get everything up that sunday or monday.

O_RYAN_007
09-15-2013, 07:07 AM
I treated myself to a huge plate of Homemade Mexican food last night. Carne Guisada (beef in gravy) charro beans, and mexican rice while watching the Canelo Mayweather fight. I weighed in this morning at 186, which once again is the lightest I've ever been on a sunday. I typically drop 5#s of water weight when coming back from the weekend. All cardio and conditioning for me next week. I'll also be doing tons of mobility work, stretching, and foam/rumble rolling. I might get a little something in today, but who knows... I'm kind of tired from this past week, it was brutal in every aspect.

xxiv
09-15-2013, 08:00 AM
what were your openers?

olddawg
09-15-2013, 08:53 AM
I weighed in this morning at 186, which once again is the lightest I've ever been on a sunday. .

you know you're a weight lifter when you understand exactly what that means

O_RYAN_007
09-15-2013, 11:32 AM
The meet is next weekend. I'll be coming up with my opening numbers today, and I'll post them up when I figure it out.

- - - Updated - - -

you know you're a weight lifter when you understand exactly what that means

I agree, my wife nor my family understood how significant this was when I brought it to their attention.

O_RYAN_007
09-16-2013, 09:22 AM
I weighed in at 184.5 this morning, so I feel i'm on a good track to getting to my target weight. I'm think about eating carbs during my second lunch at 2:45 and that's it. I'll be doing cardio at lunch and I will also be going for an evening stroll to help burn some more cals.

Any ideas in cutting these last few pounds this week?

Sorrow
09-16-2013, 04:42 PM
I usually front load water (in my case around 2 ltrs a day) extra to what I drink. tues. wed, and thursday. Then cut back on water to bellow my normal level the friday before. I start a fast that friday night and weigh in the earliest I can saturday. I follow the weigh in sipping on creatine/gatorade mix. Then eat like normal that night.

The theory being I super saturate my body and I start pissing the extra out. When I drop the extra water consumption the day before my body continue to piss more water out leaving my very dry. This is what I'll be doing for my upcoming meet. I've used it several times in the past with good results. I should also note I drop the sugars the week before the meet. And my meal following weigh ins is usually a light breakfast, then a heavy dinner (steak/cheese fries) The steak is slow to digest leaving me feeling full the next day with an even energy level.

Warning though I don't recommend you try this right before your first meet. Its better to experiment with this prior to the meet. Just a thought

O_RYAN_007
09-16-2013, 08:49 PM
I usually front load water (in my case around 2 ltrs a day) extra to what I drink. tues. wed, and thursday. Then cut back on water to bellow my normal level the friday before. I start a fast that friday night and weigh in the earliest I can saturday. I follow the weigh in sipping on creatine/gatorade mix. Then eat like normal that night.

The theory being I super saturate my body and I start pissing the extra out. When I drop the extra water consumption the day before my body continue to piss more water out leaving my very dry. This is what I'll be doing for my upcoming meet. I've used it several times in the past with good results. I should also note I drop the sugars the week before the meet. And my meal following weigh ins is usually a light breakfast, then a heavy dinner (steak/cheese fries) The steak is slow to digest leaving me feeling full the next day with an even energy level.

Warning though I don't recommend you try this right before your first meet. Its better to experiment with this prior to the meet. Just a thought

I actually weigh in on Friday. Weigh in time is from 4-9pm that day. We'll see how tomorrow mornings weigh in goes.

BY THE WAY, IT'S OFFICIAL!!!! I'M GOING TO BE A FATHER! YEAH BUDDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

weekend
09-16-2013, 11:07 PM
Hell yea, does that mean its time to cycle before her belly gets too big?! And now that the quality of sperm doesn't matter?

I bet you used my doggy style advice too..

O_RYAN_007
09-17-2013, 04:35 AM
Hell yea, does that mean its time to cycle before her belly gets too big?! And now that the quality of sperm doesn't matter?

I bet you used my doggy style advice too..

I'm sure I'll cycle sometime soon, just not sure when... And yes, we tried the advice from everyone.

Sorrow
09-17-2013, 05:40 PM
Well congratulations man!

JM1000
09-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Congrats man ;)

milehighguy
09-17-2013, 08:59 PM
Congrats on the good news! Its a lot of work but worth it all...

O_RYAN_007
09-18-2013, 04:41 AM
Thanks everyone!! Just wanted to give you guys an update, 181.5# this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally hit weight, but I will continue being vigilant with the diet and water intake.

O_RYAN_007
09-20-2013, 07:19 AM
180.5# this morning. I'll eat just one more meal and drink water till lunch then get in the sauna and stretch and sweat. I will not consume anything after 11:45, weigh ins at 4pm. How do I post a pic? I snapped a couple this morning, looking lean and mean.

Sperwer
09-20-2013, 07:36 AM
Go get some, brother!

O_RYAN_007
09-20-2013, 07:42 AM
Go get some, brother!

Will do brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VayneZ
09-20-2013, 10:12 AM
Ryan my friend! First of all I'm so happy to hear the good news! You'll be an awesome dad!

I'm so psyched about your meet bro! Make sure you get someone to tape it. And amazing how you have dropped so much and retain strength. I'll be asking you for advise soon since I also wanna lean out a bit and yet keep strength.

As for posting the pic, just click on the insert image icon in the quick reply box. Make sure it's not too high quality.

I'll be here pending to see how this one goes. SS crew has your back bro! Bring it! Hard and heavy!!!!!

O_RYAN_007
09-20-2013, 12:16 PM
Ryan my friend! First of all I'm so happy to hear the good news! You'll be an awesome dad!

I'm so psyched about your meet bro! Make sure you get someone to tape it. And amazing how you have dropped so much and retain strength. I'll be asking you for advise soon since I also wanna lean out a bit and yet keep strength.

As for posting the pic, just click on the insert image icon in the quick reply box. Make sure it's not too high quality.

I'll be here pending to see how this one goes. SS crew has your back bro! Bring it! Hard and heavy!!!!!

Thanks for all the kind words! I'll be killing it FO SHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My dad is going to record all our lifts.

O_RYAN_007
09-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Weighed in at 174.2# baby!!!

I've been eating and hydrating since 4:30pm and I'll continue to do so till about 10

burlyman30
09-20-2013, 07:48 PM
Kick butt, bro!

VayneZ
09-21-2013, 07:43 PM
I'm ready for the good news!! How did it go???

O_RYAN_007
09-22-2013, 07:16 AM
Got First place in my weight class (I think there were 3 others in the 181).

Squat 336.xx First attempt (got it easy)
went for a PR right away (396.xx) attempt fails
same weight Failed attempt.

Bench:
Opener 255 easy
2nd attempt 275.xx got it easy
3rd went for 290.xx attempt failed.

DL

1st: 463 got it
2nd: 496 got it
3rd. went for 512.xx Got it about half way up but I just didn't have enough in me to lock it out. I stuck with it for a good while. I'll post up vids sometime this week.

I will say that I'm really happy with the entire meet. Tiny Meeker put on an amazing powerlifting meet. He'll be going for an 1100# bench in Russia in a couple weeks. (Multiply).

I learned alot during this meet, I know what I need to work on and I know how we need to do this. I'm Officially hooked!!! Powerlifting is FKN Great! Met a lot of really cool crazy people and had a great time. All my family showed up to give me their support.

1,107 TOTAL! (Thats my brother's BDAY!)

Sperwer
09-22-2013, 07:19 AM
Who-ah!

Sorrow
09-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Hell yeah great job! Congrats on the PR's! Looks like you put together a great meet. Thats a solid showing for your first meet man. Like the deadlift numbers!

milehighguy
09-22-2013, 12:13 PM
Hell yeah great job! Congrats on the PR's! Looks like you put together a great meet. Thats a solid showing for your first meet man. Like the deadlift numbers!

^^^heck yea, very nice #'s

xxiv
09-22-2013, 01:35 PM
wow, well done bro.

burlyman30
09-22-2013, 02:43 PM
Way to go, Ryan. Nice starting numbers.... and I expect you'll crush those at your next meet.

VayneZ
09-22-2013, 05:53 PM
Sick numbers for your weight bro!!! NICE!!!!

Can't wait to see the videos!

O_RYAN_007
09-22-2013, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the kind words gents. I think I was a little too amped up after my first squat attempt, I got a little ahead of myself. The second should have been right around 375, but you live and you learn. I'm happy about everything. I need to work on my squat and bench, but I'm ready to put in HARD WORK TO BRING THOSE NUMBERS UP! I was dissapointed that I didn't get the 512 DL, but this is just going to give me more of an incentive to crush that number next meet!

I'm thinking about hoping on cycle within the next week or 2. Not sure just yet, but I didn't have the privilege to cycle while training for the meet, but everything is going to get hardcore from here on out!!

Sorrow
09-23-2013, 07:10 PM
Personally I would suggest you take this week off entirely from the gym. Relax spend time with the family and newly expecting wifey! Then work back in on your routine. Make sure there's no issues that you may aggravate by rushing back into it. I've seen alot of guys get hurt by going back to soon to hard. I think you may compound things by starting a cycle too soon if you did strain something. I realize the restorative properties of a good cycle but I also know what can happen to your joints especially shoulders and pecs if you aren't careful! And sometimes powerlifting training entices you to push a little to far and combine that with a cycle can give false confidence. Again just my opinion I'd say hold off to start one for at least 3 weeks while you make sure everything is good.

regardless..

I love the enthusiasm man! You did great! And, I know you can build on those numbers! Just caution a little restraint early on while you learn how powerlifting effects your body. It's going to be fun to see how far you go man!

O_RYAN_007
09-23-2013, 08:05 PM
Personally I would suggest you take this week off entirely from the gym. Relax spend time with the family and newly expecting wifey! Then work back in on your routine. Make sure there's no issues that you may aggravate by rushing back into it. I've seen alot of guys get hurt by going back to soon to hard. I think you may compound things by starting a cycle too soon if you did strain something. I realize the restorative properties of a good cycle but I also know what can happen to your joints especially shoulders and pecs if you aren't careful! And sometimes powerlifting training entices you to push a little to far and combine that with a cycle can give false confidence. Again just my opinion I'd say hold off to start one for at least 3 weeks while you make sure everything is good.

regardless..

I love the enthusiasm man! You did great! And, I know you can build on those numbers! Just caution a little restraint early on while you learn how powerlifting effects your body. It's going to be fun to see how far you go man!

I appreciate the advice Sorrow. I feel I should also take it easy and lay off. I'm going to talk to my training partner about this and we'll work a plan. I know he's ready to get back int it quick, but I feel laying off major lifting these next couple weeks is a smart idea.

VayneZ
09-24-2013, 07:54 PM
Good advise Sorrow. And I likewise can't wait to see what you'll become Ryan, especially with that mindset and drive. I'm in to see you back next time, WAY more powerful!!

O_RYAN_007
09-26-2013, 05:02 AM
Good advise Sorrow. And I likewise can't wait to see what you'll become Ryan, especially with that mindset and drive. I'm in to see you back next time, WAY more powerful!!

THIS IS GOING TO HAPPEN!!! I'll get back in the gym next week, but I wont excerpt myself more than 50%.

VayneZ
09-30-2013, 10:08 AM
Ryan still no vids yet bro? :rolleyes:

O_RYAN_007
09-30-2013, 02:51 PM
Ryan still no vids yet bro? :rolleyes:

My wife really screwed the pouch here. She never took consistent vids, so I'm having to get them from my mom, dad, and sister. I see them this weekend, so I'll save them on my comp and post as soon as I get them.

O_RYAN_007
10-04-2013, 08:32 AM
It seems like I'll never be able to post pics on here, I always get BS regarding sizing and dimensions. I'm done!

Scope75
10-04-2013, 08:36 AM
It seems like I'll never be able to post pics on here, I always get BS regarding sizing and dimensions. I'm done!

Use photobucket and you won't have any problems.

O_RYAN_007
10-04-2013, 09:25 AM
Use photobucket and you won't have any problems.

Ok, I'll check it out. Thanks!

O_RYAN_007
10-22-2013, 04:53 AM
336# Squat good lift:
O_RYAN 336# squat - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O44a2HWzrKM391#) Squat No good:

391# Squat No lift:
O_RYAN 391# squat - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI8xRNHrj3w)

391# Squat no lift:
O_RYAN Lift 3 squat 391 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDf7gExRhBY)
275# bench good lift:
O_RYAN 275 bench - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el1PjCnkTCA)

291# bench
O_RYAN 291# bench - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHuIcoy0fG0)

465#DL :good lift
O_RYAN 465# dL - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hV3mhEgaKA)

- - - Updated - - -

I'll get the 496# DL and the 512 from my dad this weekend. Sorry it took so long but here they are.

VayneZ
10-24-2013, 05:52 AM
For some reason I can't see these on my phone. I'll check them out as soon as I'm home!!!

O_RYAN_007
10-24-2013, 07:05 AM
For some reason I can't see these on my phone. I'll check them out as soon as I'm home!!!

Sounds good bud!

VayneZ
10-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Strong for 181 bro! You my friend have inspired me!!!! As soon as I get through this lower vertebrae issue, you are my motivation!!!!!

O_RYAN_007
10-24-2013, 01:56 PM
Strong for 181 bro! You my friend have inspired me!!!! As soon as I get through this lower vertebrae issue, you are my motivation!!!!!

That was actually me at 174.5#!!! But I'm glad to be an inspiration to anyone.

burlyman30
10-24-2013, 02:07 PM
Odd... YouTube is telling me the 336 squat vid is an invalid link.

Deadlift at 496 was super strong. Great form. Bench at 275 was picture perfect. Went up smoothly and never slowed down.

O_RYAN_007
10-24-2013, 02:17 PM
Odd... YouTube is telling me the 336 squat vid is an invalid link.

Deadlift at 496 was super strong. Great form. Bench at 275 was picture perfect. Went up smoothly and never slowed down.

I can try and post up the squat again tonight. The head judge pulled me aside after our flight and told me he was really impressed with my form. I'll tell you that after working with our PLing coach, my form has gotten even better! Same goes for squats and DLs.

VayneZ
10-24-2013, 06:43 PM
That was actually me at 174.5#!!! But I'm glad to be an inspiration to anyone.

Geez!! 174.5?! Dude, that's sick. Mad respect! Now I am BEYOND inspired!!! I didn't remember you were that light. Are you planning on staying in that weight-class for future meets?

Sorrow
10-24-2013, 07:02 PM
Hell yeah man! Thats what I'm talking about! Welcome to the family bro, you are going to be a monster!

burlyman30
10-24-2013, 07:23 PM
Hey PLers, I've been away from the sport since highschool so you'll have to excuse my ignorance...

What federations are good and do raw meets? And do they drug test? My shoulder is at about 80% for the first time in 20 years, my strength is going up, and my interest in hitting a local meet has been piqued.

O_RYAN_007
10-24-2013, 07:59 PM
Hey PLers, I've been away from the sport since highschool so you'll have to excuse my ignorance...

What federations are good and do raw meets? And do they drug test? My shoulder is at about 80% for the first time in 20 years, my strength is going up, and my interest in hitting a local meet has been piqued.

I compete in the Southern Powerlifting Federation. I've heard nothing but great things about the judges and the federation. The judges were really cool, and took the time to give you tips for hitting the lifts.

I do plan to hit my next meet in the 181# class, after that is a different story. I'm glad to be in this family. I'm fkn hooked man! My numbers may not have been what I wanted, but I now what I need to work on, and we now have a PL coach/trainer. The dude knows his shit and he has been pushing us harder than we'd ever imagine!! I almost threw up 3 times during today's Rep Effort Squat day!

We're using the BOSS CUBE by Brandon Lilly, then after we hit that, it's our trainers turn with the programming. It's fucken BRUTAL!!! But I already know my form on all 3 lifts is WAY Better than last cube, and my strength is SHOOTING UP LIKE CRAZY!!!

- - - Updated - - -

The fed I ws in didn't drug test, but I would have passed with flying colors since I was drug free the entire time.

O_RYAN_007
10-24-2013, 08:01 PM
Geez!! 174.5?! Dude, that's sick. Mad respect! Now I am BEYOND inspired!!! I didn't remember you were that light. Are you planning on staying in that weight-class for future meets?

I was never that light, I dropped 8#s in one day, I never thought I could pull that off. I started the training cube at 193, and I competed right around 180 (thats what I weighed in the am of the meet, weigh ins were friday afternoon at 4pm). I was the second guy to weigh in, LOL!!!

VayneZ
10-25-2013, 09:32 AM
I'm gonna read into the Boss Cube, since I can't do any compound movements these days anyway. Any advise on a good article to start on?