PDA

View Full Version : Who has been eating their Kimchi?

milehighguy
06-26-2013, 08:07 PM
Copy and paste directly from the Poliquin Blog. Can't remember where but I have heard this about fermented cabbage somewhere...

Anyway the first 3-4 are basic but the last one I find interesting...wondering if anyone has tried this before?

Tip 605: Eat These Top Five Superior Foods For A Healthier, Leaner Body
Thursday, May 09, 2013 5:58 AM
Eat these foods for a healthier, leaner body (they are affordable!). You can call ‘em superior foods, superfoods, or staples, but whatever the term, coconut oil, avocado, eggs, cocoa, and kimchi are all foods that have been linked to a optimal leanness, muscularity, and health. Check it out:

#1: Coconut oil
Coconut oil is abundant in a medium chain fatty acid that appears to protect your brain, manage blood sugar, and improve energy use in the body so you lose fat. Truly! Coconut oil doesn’t enter the cholesterol cycle, so the fat it contains won’t be deposited in fat cells.

There’s proof: A recent study of folks from Malaysia where the coconut is native found that having them eat 30 ml of coconut oil three times a day for a month led them to lose about a pound of body fat and trim their waistlines a measureable amount.

#2: Avocado
Called an “anti-obesity” food by scientists, the avocado is jam-packed with nutrients and antioxidants, and although it is rich in monounsaturated fats, studies suggest eating avocado regularly will keep you from getting fat. This is all for naught if your diet is poor, but in a typical high-protein, low-carb diet, avocados will improve your body and health.

The research is strong: Analysis of the diets of 17,567 Americans showed that those who ate more avocados had significantly lower body weight and waist circumference and a 50 percent lower risk of metabolic syndrome. And these weren’t Paleo-eaters either—impressive, no?

#3: Eggs
A perfect protein source, eggs provide a nice dose of choline, which helps with liver detoxification. This is one reason eggs have been a staple in the diets of bodybuilders for years—a clean liver means the body eliminates toxins better, supporting optimal body composition. Don’t shy away from eating them daily. Recent research shows three eggs a day will IMPROVE cholesterol, decrease inflammation, and manage blood sugar.

#4: Cocoa
You’ve heard about the benefits of dark chocolate for the heart due to it being antioxidant-rich and the happy news is that it really is that good for you. Not only will cocoa, from which chocolate is derived, support cardiovascular health, it improves insulin signaling and association studies show a higher dark chocolate intake is linked with a leaner physique. Opt for a chocolate that has over 72 percent cocoa solids—the darker the better—without added sugar. Do not eat chocolate that contains dairy, as it blocks the activity of its powerful anti-oxidants.

#5: Kimchi
Perhaps not as delicious as chocolate, kimchi is a fermented Korean cabbage dish that improves gut health and insulin sensitivity. A recent study showed that overweight subjects who ate 100 grams of kimchi at every meal for 4 weeks produced significant fat loss and decreased body fat by 1.5 percent. Blood pressure was lower and blood sugar control improved by the end of the study.

Read the list of Top Ten Fat Loss Foods for more superior and delicious foods.

Reference
Liau, K., et al. An Open-Label Pilot Study to Assess the Efficacy and Safety of Virgin Coconut Oil in Reducing Visceral Adiposity. ISRN Pharmacology. 2011. 949686.

Ratliff, J., et al. Eggs Modulate the Inflammatory Response To Carbohydrate Restricted Diets in Overweight Men. Nutrition and Metabolism. 2008. 5(6).

Devalaraja, S., Jain, S., Yaday, H. Exotic Fruits as Therapeutic Complements for Diabetes, Obesity, and Metabolic Syndrome. Food Research International. August 2011. 44(7), 1856-1865.

HIXX504
06-26-2013, 09:43 PM
They serve kimchi with a lot if the dishes at a Vietnamese restaurant I go to fairly often. It just doesn't tasty good at all.

HIXX504
06-26-2013, 09:44 PM
*taste

Sperwer
06-26-2013, 10:09 PM
Here in Korea there are about 150 different kinds of kimchi, but I assume Poliquin is talking about the most common variety. That consists of fermented cabbage of the sort that is termed "Nappa" in the States, along with prodigious amounts of garlic and hot red pepper, sesame oil and a host of other more or less optional ingredients, often including fermented, i.e., rotten, fish of various kinds, especially Pacific anchovies. It also is absolutely loaded with salt. It's definitely an acquired taste, and beginners are advised to eat it along with large amounts of rice, which is what most Korean themselves do. Afterwards, brush your teeth early and often.

In Korea, where it's sort of the national dish - although the red pepper past that is such an important ingredient was not knaown in Korea before the Japanese invasion in the 16th century, the Japanese having gotten it from the Portuguese who introduced it from South America - it's touted as a kind of universal cure-all; claims have been made for its effectiveness in treating everything from cancer to male pattern baldness.

I've eaten it for going on 20 years and, on it's own, it's difficult for me to believe it has the effects Poliquin claims. It would be interesting to see the full research report that he mentions (but doesn't cite) to ascertain what the conditions of the experiment were.

Grape Ape
06-26-2013, 10:20 PM
What else were they eating durring those meals?

Change a few simple things about an overweight persons diet, and watch them lose weight quickly.

Sperwer
06-26-2013, 10:21 PM
What else were they eating durring those meals?

Change a few simple things about an overweight persons diet, and watch them lose weight quickly.

Exactly.

pman42
06-26-2013, 10:31 PM
kimchi is pretty delicious. i get some from korean friends who make it. gonna dig up my backyard and bury a few vats of the stuff

markam
06-27-2013, 05:05 AM
Perhaps Chocamine as an alternative to Cocoa?

Maybe this would be a good alternative to Cocoa:

Chocamine® Plus is an extract of cocoa which has the same smell, taste and proven health benefits of chocolate without the unnecessary and often unhealthy ingredients (such as fat and sugar). It is a natural and safe chocolate supplement that can help suppress appetite and provide a mild stimulatory effect.

Chocamine® Plus has been reported to have a number of health benefits including increased energy, appetite suppression, increased lipolysis (fat burning), improved mood, improved concentration, increased alertness, improved physical performance, aphrodisiac properties, and health benefits.

Chocamine® Plus contains a number of active ingredients that combine to produce the varied health benefits, including methylxanthines (theobromine, caffeine, and theophylline), biogenic amines (phenylethylamine and tyramine), amino acids (phenylalanine, tryptophan and tyrosine) and minerals (with a high content of magnesium). Clearly Chocamine® Plus contains many beneficial ingredients, especially for those looking to stimulate the CNS and suppress appetite.

Chocamine® Plus is often added to weight loss products that combine a number of different ingredients. Within 1g of Chocamine® Plus there is approximately 80mg of Caffeine.

Warning: Please be careful when dosing Chocamine® Plus as it is a potent powder and can cause bad side-effects when taken well above the recommended amount. It is recommended not to consume more than 500mg (We recommended using digital scales) in one serving.

Chocamine® is a registered trademark. Patent # 7,048,941

milehighguy
06-27-2013, 11:07 AM
I think I remembered the context in which I saw this before...The article I read had indicated that eating Kimchi or fermented cabbage prior to a large protein meal might help you actually eat more. Good prior to a meal for those bulking. I will keep trying to find the article.

Thanks for the comments and markam that is a good find on Chocamine

nate3993
06-27-2013, 02:06 PM
love kimchi. fuk. i use a lot of what's on the list. only i don't really use is cocoa

BoneDaddy
06-27-2013, 02:35 PM
love kimchi. fuk. i use a lot of what's on the list. only i don't really use is cocoa

Just start doing coke.

nate3993
06-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Just start doing coke.

i hear if u don't have the cocoa, then coke is a great substitute.

markam
06-27-2013, 04:56 PM
I think I remembered the context in which I saw this before...The article I read had indicated that eating Kimchi or fermented cabbage prior to a large protein meal might help you actually eat more. Good prior to a meal for those bulking. I will keep trying to find the article.

Thanks for the comments and markam that is a good find on Chocamine

It's pretty cheap if you buy bulk, and I found amongst other things, it's a pretty good appetite suppressant. I was using one and a half scoops of Alphamine first thing in the morning, but ran out, so 500mgs Chocomine, 500mgs Guarana a scoop of Alri chain'd out for the Bcaas and flavouring, and it's pretty good. Not as good as Alphamine, but it does the job.

500mg Chocomine = 40mg Caffeine
500mg Guarana = 110 mg Caffeine.

milehighguy
07-01-2013, 01:18 PM
So here is a link to an article that talks about eating Sauerkraut prior to a large meal to help with discomfort and digestion. Slightly different take then the Poliquin article. Might help to give this a shot when trying to up the calories...

T NATION | Turbocharging Digestion (http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=5315597)