PDA

View Full Version : IIFYM / Flexible Eating

longBallLima
07-12-2013, 11:06 AM
This guy is a local coach here in CO and his clients actually dont look half bad. Not so much about the video, but more to get you guys' POV on iifym

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93K3LISxIUE&hd=1

Grape Ape
07-12-2013, 09:25 PM
I couldn't watch more than a minute of that guy talk. That said...

Counting Macros is not flexible dieting. Counting macros throughout the day isnt the easiest, and if your trying to eat 3000 calories in some split P/F/C macro ratio, how the hell is any of that flexable.

IIFYM, is BS in my opinion. Some crap made up by bodybuilding.com Forum douche bags. There's so much more to it, such as nutrient timing and so much more at work such as insulin.

If your not going to be strict and precise with your diet, then eat to grow, or eat to lose. Don't count macros and break em down in some special ratio, only then eat whatever you want as long as it fits in. It's ass backwards.

I'm not a big believer in that you can tune a diet in just with macro ratios anyway.

josh
07-12-2013, 10:41 PM
A randomized trial of protein supplementation compared with extra fast food on the effects of resistance training to increase metabolism.

Abstract

Objective. To prospectively evaluate the effects of resistance training combined with increased energy intake or protein-supplementation on lean body-mass, resting metabolic-rate (RMR) and cardiovascular risk factors. Methods. Twenty-four healthy males (aged 19-32 years) performed resistance exercise for 12 weeks aiming for at least 1 hour training-sessions 3 times a week. The participants were randomized to consume extra protein (33 g whey protein/day) or a meal of fast-food/day (1350 kcal, 41 g protein). Body-composition was measured with Dual-Energy X-ray Absorptiometry (DEXA) and RMR by indirect calorimetry. Fasting blood samples were drawn before and after the 3-month training period and after 12 months. Results. The body weight increased from 75.1 ± 6.9 kg to 78.7 ± 7.2 kg (p < 0.0001), without differences between the groups. RMR increased from 1787 ± 143 kcal/24 h to 1954 ± 187 kcal/24 h (p < 0.0001, N = 24), which was more than expected from the increase in lean body-mass (increase from 59.7 ± 4.3 kg to 61.8 ± 4.1 kg p = 0.004). Fasting serum-insulin levels increased in the fast-food group compared with the extra-protein group (p = 0.03). ApoB increased from 0.691 ± 0.14 g/L to 0.768 ± 0.17 g/L, p = 0.004, in the fast-food group only. Long-term follow up after 12 months showed that RMR, body weight, total fat and lean body-masses did not differ from baseline (n = 19). Conclusions. Resistance training for 12 weeks increased RMR and lean body-mass similarly when based on either an increased energy-intake or protein supplement. However, the increase in RMR was higher than expected from the increase in lean body-mass. Thus resistance training could potentially decrease the risk of obesity by induction of increased RMR.

PMID: 22935042

milehighguy
07-13-2013, 07:53 AM
This guy looks familiar...I think i have seen this dude at the gym before...

Interesting concept...I've never had to or wanted to count macros or micros but I also don't compete.

longBallLima
07-13-2013, 08:55 AM
This guy looks familiar...I think i have seen this dude at the gym before...

Interesting concept...I've never had to or wanted to count macros or micros but I also don't compete.

I think he lives around Parker and he's a judge here in CO too.