PDA

View Full Version : Rumble Rollers - Worth $70?

LBC-83
07-23-2013, 09:44 AM
I've been using a foam roller for some time now and for the past 2 months or so it seems the effectiveness may be less than to what I am accustomed. Since I value the feedback of this community is the RumbleRoller worth the seemingly high price tag. User feedback needed!

Cobalt
07-23-2013, 09:56 AM
I know DJM has one and speaks highly of it. I've been wanting to get one myself, but I just don't have $70 to drop on one.

I do know they sell a smaller one, maybe 15-20" long for $35.

JM1000
07-23-2013, 10:17 AM
Got one for 50 on sale, if you dontgfet deep tissue or any other treatment, you should invest in one, but you have a foamroller which isnt bad

Bucks
07-23-2013, 11:36 AM
I love mine on my back and neck. It cut down on my trips to get my back adjusted so for me it paid for itself.

Scope75
07-23-2013, 11:51 AM
Totally worth the price!!!

I became a believer the first time I used it. I now use it a few times a week, and it makes a big difference when I'm squating or deadlifting. Rumble Roller plus mobility work is a great way to stay active on your off/rest days.

LBC-83
07-23-2013, 12:07 PM
Well this is sounding like a fruitful investment. I was comparing it to trips to the chiropractor. I'll skip going today and am already on my way to paying myself back. Thanks for the input guys.

Rodja
07-23-2013, 12:26 PM
Yes.

O_RYAN_007
07-23-2013, 12:27 PM
Get it! After Rodja spoke about it had helped him so much in his powerlifting training, I figured I buy one and give it a try. I love the thing, and now that I'm training harder than ever, it's a must to help keep the pains away.

LBC-83
07-23-2013, 01:29 PM
I bought the extra firm against the warnings of the website. I can't imagine it will be 'that' bad but I do expect some tenderness at first. Best uses: Off days and post working out?

O_RYAN_007
07-23-2013, 02:36 PM
I try my best to use it everyday, but that hasn't been happening lately. It's all about how much time you have to devote to rolling. I typically roll my entire body, so it takes at least 35 mins. Sometimes when my back is super tight, I'll just roll my back.

I just have the blue one, not the extra firm one and it works great.

Rodja
07-23-2013, 02:44 PM
I bought the extra firm against the warnings of the website. I can't imagine it will be 'that' bad but I do expect some tenderness at first. Best uses: Off days and post working out?

It'll be a kick in the balls, but will really loosen you up. I have both of them and got the extra firm after using the regular for about 2 years.

Bucks
07-23-2013, 04:13 PM
I have the regular one but will probably buy the extra firm in a few more months. I can hear my back popping back into place with the regular one, so I think the extra firm would help more when I need to get knots out of the middle of my back after plane rides. They suck.

I thought about getting a small one I could pack in my bag to use in hotels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LBC-83
07-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Going to use it tonight and report tomorrow on how it feels. Should be a good run.

JM1000
07-23-2013, 07:22 PM
Extra firm is great for me,

Saved my hips ...

Sperwer
07-23-2013, 08:37 PM
These things are the bomb. I walk around with persistent severe low back pain. I started doing rehabilitative Pilates a couple months ago, and that has made a HUGE difference. It's pretty spendy, though, and when i found out about the RR I decided to give it a try as a way of lessening the number of paid Pilates sessions. Works great. After just a couple of weeks, the pain is mostly gone, although I'm still stiff.

Another recommendation is the firm Rogue ABmat. Not as an exercise tool. I use it as a lower back support when I'm sitting in a chair or in the car. It used to be that it would take me a minute or two to be able to straighten out when I stood up after sitting for more than a few minutes - usually with some pain. Now the support it provides has obviated the whole problem.

LBC-83
07-24-2013, 06:18 AM
Day 1 Reporting:

Well, it was an adventure. I knew that little are between my shoulder blades was sore but holy hell. When those little knobbies started digging in it was pain and ecstacy at the same time. I ended up rolling for roughly an hour, attempting to hit all parts once.

Worked very well on the upper back, as mentioned earlier. The additional plus to this was being able to 'pop' each vertebrae individually as opposed to the twist and pray method. Lower back and glutes were similarly amazing although on a slightly decreased scale.

Consensus: Totally worth the money. After rolling I was able to get a deeper stretch than I normally would, which will turn into less injuries in itself. Completely shocked after how I felt after just the first session. Thanks everyone for the recommendation.

pman42
07-24-2013, 12:00 PM
I don't have any experience with the RR but I really like my "travel roller". I have been paying for ART (active release therapy) and at $40 a pop for maybe 10 minutes i think the roller is a better investment overall

milehighguy
07-24-2013, 12:02 PM
Hmmmm....this looks like a must try product. I've done both active release and chiropractic adjustments and both get $$$.

LBC-83
07-24-2013, 12:37 PM
I'm a (extra) firm believer now. I have already skipped a trip to the chiro so the thing is half paid for in a sense. With luck I won't ever go again. It's an investment in your future health!

Cdsnuts
07-24-2013, 01:18 PM
I bought this after seeing someone talk about it on this site (can't remember who). It's great. I actually felt a little high when I was done with my first session. I never rolled before so I bought the blue one.

Cdsnuts
07-24-2013, 01:22 PM
These things are the bomb. I walk around with persistent severe low back pain. I started doing rehabilitative Pilates a couple months ago, and that has made a HUGE difference. It's pretty spendy, though, and when i found out about the RR I decided to give it a try as a way of lessening the number of paid Pilates sessions. Works great. After just a couple of weeks, the pain is mostly gone, although I'm still stiff.

Another recommendation is the firm Rogue ABmat. Not as an exercise tool. I use it as a lower back support when I'm sitting in a chair or in the car. It used to be that it would take me a minute or two to be able to straighten out when I stood up after sitting for more than a few minutes - usually with some pain. Now the support it provides has obviated the whole problem.

Looking for something similar. I'm tall and I sit all day and it's wreaked havoc on my low back. I just started using the inversion table but need something for my car and office chair. This may foot the bill. Right now I'm using a rolled up towel and duct tape......

Sperwer
07-24-2013, 06:58 PM
Looking for something similar. I'm tall and I sit all day and it's wreaked havoc on my low back. I just started using the inversion table but need something for my car and office chair. This may foot the bill. Right now I'm using a rolled up towel and duct tape......

I'm 6'2", and this is the first thing I've found that works. Get the ABMAT 2, the firmer version. I had to drive 4 hours yesterday. Usually in that case, it would take me at least a minute to get myself out of the car, another 2-3 minutes before I could stand up straight, and 10-15 minutes before I could walk with no pain (just stiffness). With this thing I was outta the car, standing straight and moving around with just a little stiffness right away.

Cdsnuts
07-24-2013, 07:11 PM
I'm 6'2", and this is the first thing I've found that works. Get the ABMAT 2, the firmer version. I had to drive 4 hours yesterday. Usually in that case, it would take me at least a minute to get myself out of the car, another 2-3 minutes before I could stand up straight, and 10-15 minutes before I could walk with no pain (just stiffness). With this thing I was outta the car, standing straight and moving around with just a little stiffness right away.

I'm gonna give it a shot. I'm in the car all day and I know exactly what you're talking about in regards to that. The towel works but it's a pain in the ass having to adjust it all the time.

Hank!
07-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Yes, well worth it. I have the Blue model use it pre and post workout, Effective and if you consider how much it would cost to get massage 30 to 60 x a month it is down right cheap

Sperwer
07-25-2013, 02:16 AM
Another random recommendation.

Remember Absorbine Jr?

Well it has an older brother, the original Absorbine liniment for horses. I got a big bottle of the gel a few months ago. It's only a topical analgesic, but it's very effective even for deep strains and soft connective tissue relief. I generally use it on my dodgy left shoulder and lower back everyday after working out, and anywhere else that's needy as needed.

LBC-83
07-25-2013, 06:13 AM
Nice, horse pain relief. I apparently have a store 2 miles from my house that sells it. I mean if EQ works this should, yeah?

sandman
07-25-2013, 10:55 AM
Are they good? Yes, rollers are good and work

Are they worth $70? Oh hell no, not even close, maybe like $20 but I refuse to pay $70 for a piece of foam. It's the newest overpriced gym equipment, give it a few years.

Rodja
07-25-2013, 11:07 AM

Are they worth $70? Oh hell no, not even close, maybe like $20 but I refuse to pay $70 for a piece of foam. It's the newest overpriced gym equipment, give it a few years.

And the resident contrarian chimes in with an ill-informed opinion. A RR is not simply a piece of foam.

sandman
07-25-2013, 11:15 AM
And the resident contrarian chimes in with an ill-informed opinion. A RR is not simply a piece of foam.

Still not worth it

Rodja
07-25-2013, 11:17 AM
Still not worth it

Seeing as you've never used it, that's quite the arrogant position that you have, but I expect nothing less from you.

sandman
07-25-2013, 11:20 AM
Seeing as you've never used it, that's quite the arrogant position that you have, but I expect nothing less from you.

Yes, I forgot that you were my neighbor and know me very well. Next time read my post in full before commenting and looking even more dumb. I said they work but the price point doesn't justify buying one. Get over it.

burlyman30
07-25-2013, 02:39 PM
Internet fight over rumble rollers? Not here, boys.

I think it's safe to say that we all put different monetary values to things based on how bad we feel we need them. Most people spend $30+ a month on the gym, $100 a month on a cell phone, $300 a month on a car, etc, because they improve our lives. A one time purchase of $70 may not be worth it to someone who doesn't really need it, while being a bargain for the person it drastically helps.

KAB111
07-25-2013, 08:57 PM
My. 02.... I love my rumble rollers. Ive had mi e for over a year. Use them damn near every day. They aren't wore at all. Saved me hundreds in massage therapy. The higher density grey one I use to get to the harder spots that need some good pressure. The blue I bought for rolling my whole back out. I wouldn't be without. Watch GNC and Amazon. I got a smoking deal cause I waited for fall sales.

sandman
07-26-2013, 02:39 PM
Internet fight over rumble rollers? Not here, boys.

I think it's safe to say that we all put different monetary values to things based on how bad we feel we need them. Most people spend $30+ a month on the gym, $100 a month on a cell phone, $300 a month on a car, etc, because they improve our lives. A one time purchase of $70 may not be worth it to someone who doesn't really need it, while being a bargain for the person it drastically helps.

Exactly, for me I'd rather spend $70 on other things than a foam roller. Same way I'd say a Corvette is a fast car but I don't think the price jusitfies the speed the car gives you. For me I'd rather pay an ART therapist $30 once a year and get better results from that than foam rolling every day of the week.

Especially when more and more gyms are providing members with various rollers.

LBC-83
07-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Even using this justification it pays for itself in 2 years but I see your point. I do disagree however that a once a year visit will yield greater results than using a roller everyday.

Exactly, for me I'd rather spend $70 on other things than a foam roller. Same way I'd say a Corvette is a fast car but I don't think the price jusitfies the speed the car gives you. For me I'd rather pay an ART therapist $30 once a year and get better results from that than foam rolling every day of the week.

Sperwer
07-26-2013, 05:46 PM

How nice for you that you need ART only once a year; really, you are lucky. Others here are less fortunate. I e.g., have been getting it 3 times a week for 10 weeks @ the equivalent of $50 a pop and because of my DISH face a lifetime of it. It looks like my RR, which i just recently got, is not only going to give me nearly an equivalent amount of relief but at a substantially lower cost; it has paid for itself in less than a week. Not bad for a mere"foam roller". The problem with your attitude is that you seem to have missed Burly's point: Your (nor my) utility curve regarding the RR is not a universal objective standard measured against which everything else is a deviation. We just have different ones depending on our situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

h2s
07-27-2013, 04:32 PM
Ill be honest that I don't really us them although I should, but I am fortunate in that my gym has a ton of rollers from basic to advanced available for members.

Hank!
07-29-2013, 05:35 AM

Rumble Rollers have been out for years and price hasnt dropped. I understand you do not see the value, chances are that you have never used one. Value is what the market bears.

sandman
07-29-2013, 08:27 AM
Rumble Rollers have been out for years and price hasnt dropped. I understand you do not see the value, chances are that you have never used one. Value is what the market bears.

I have used one, again I did like it, I felt it worked well. But not worth it's price for something that I have to use everyday to get minor improvements. I get it that you can have them for a long time and they won't wear out but theres so many other things I'd rather spend my money on, no big deal.

I think the prices will drop because it seems like popularity has grown over the last few years. Usually when that happens more companies will produce similar products and eventually the market price will drop.

Macdon1588
07-29-2013, 08:42 AM
I've been using a foam roller for some time now and for the past 2 months or so it seems the effectiveness may be less than to what I am accustomed. Since I value the feedback of this community is the RumbleRoller worth the seemingly high price tag. User feedback needed!

I know that I'm late to the party on this one but I think that the rumble rollers are definitely worth the price. Some have said that the value of the roller is hard to quantify but I do not believe so. Since owning it I have spent less time at the chiropractor which is $40 a pop every time I screw something up because I haven't stretched or done the proper pre-habilitation. Before buying the rumble roller I had a regular foam roller and it didn't quite get it to me the knobs really help target the area I'm using it on.

O_RYAN_007
07-29-2013, 08:42 AM

In regards to the corvette portion of this quote... Would you say paying $24,500 on a 02 Z06 Corvette w 23k miles on it is too expensive? I say not, I have the power, the gas mileage, and the great looking car. All for the price of what someone could also get a Toyota Camry.

I get your point, but I just had to point this out. Everyone I work with thinks the same way you do regarding the corvette, you just have to be patient to find a good deal.

Hank!
07-29-2013, 03:03 PM
The 2014 Vette is going to be the best value high performance sports car on the market

O_RYAN_007
07-29-2013, 03:08 PM
The 2014 Vette is going to be the best value high performance sports car on the market

I agree! But when I was looking to buy a car a couple years ago, I only had $24-26 to spend. I looked at all my options, and it was a no brainer. Great gas mileage (19/27) with a 405 hp V8, awesome looking car, and a great ride.

burlyman30
07-29-2013, 03:59 PM
I agree! But when I was looking to buy a car a couple years ago, I only had $24-26 to spend. I looked at all my options, and it was a no brainer. Great gas mileage (19/27) with a 405 hp V8, awesome looking car, and a great ride.

Nice ride. Corvette is the best value "off the showroom" sports car. Good handling and power for a fraction of the exotics. Still infatuated with the Porsche 911, though, personally. Maybe when I retire.

Hank!
07-29-2013, 06:30 PM
Nice ride. Corvette is the best value "off the showroom" sports car. Good handling and power for a fraction of the exotics. Still infatuated with the Porsche 911, though, personally. Maybe when I retire.

Burley, I had the opportunity to spend a few days at the Porsche Driving School at Barber Motorsports Park in B"ham Alabama. The 911 is/ has and always will be my favorite car. The last few Vettes deliver more bang for the buck and there is no denying the new one will make an impression on the world stage.

burlyman30
07-29-2013, 06:34 PM
Burley, I had the opportunity to spend a few days at the Porsche Driving School at Barber Motorsports Park in B"ham Alabama. The 911 is/ has and always will be my favorite car. The last few Vettes deliver more bang for the buck and there is no denying the new one will make an impression on the world stage.

Very cool. Love that German engineering.

Coolazice
07-30-2013, 02:00 AM
Sandman, the majority of your posted opinions are far too negative to carry any weight with me, and it looks like I'm not alone. Have you considered anti-depressants to help "cure" your gloomy outlook on products, people, and life in general???

sandman
07-30-2013, 07:52 AM
Sandman, the majority of your posted opinions are far too negative to carry any weight with me, and it looks like I'm not alone. Have you considered anti-depressants to help "cure" your gloomy outlook on products, people, and life in general???

Thats just how your perceiving it. I haven't posted anything negative in this thread except for my opinion that I won't spend $70 on a rumble roller. If you think thats gloomy then that's a you problem not mine.

I just used Corvette as an example, I personally wouldn't spend the money on any of the high end sports cars. Sports cars just aren't my thing, I'd take the Toyota Camry's comfort and quality over the sports car that doesn't look nice to me.