PDA

View Full Version : How to take niacin to lower your cholesterol

Freepressright
07-25-2013, 06:20 AM
Many PH/AAS users sabotage their lipid profile through cycling and bulking diets. As we have become more aware of the dangers posed by statin drugs in recent years, especially their ability to strip you of muscle mass, you should know there are alternatives that work. One of the most common is niacin.

But.... niacin will only work if you know how to take it therapeutically. This is not voodoo. Even the drug companies have jumped on board with a prescription drug known as NiSpan. Simply taking niacin every day won't cut it if you want to lower your cholesterol.

It is generally recommended to start with a low niacin dosage and increase it gradually (known as titration). Titration schedules will vary depending on the specific niacin product, how you respond to the vitamin, and what condition is being treated.

Here is the niacin titration schedule, and it can work for you if you follow it:

Niacin Dosage (http://cholesterol.emedtv.com/niacin/niacin-dosage.html)

Also, keep in mind that a lot of people use omega-3 as a complimentary therapy because of its positive impact upon triglycerides. It also has some benefits to your cholesterol, but its effects primarily help with your triglycerides.

burlyman30
07-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Great info, fpr. I recall you posted something like this on the PP forum. Excellent resource. I've been using slo-niacin on and off for the last couple of years. I've been back on it again recently and have blood work coming up that will include a cholesterol check. Interested to see where the numbers sit, as last time there was an improvement, mostly because of dietary changes.

pman42
07-25-2013, 10:05 AM
titrating is to avoid the flushing effect. oh, and the slo-niacin prescriptions are more toxic than regular, immediate-release niacin and much more costly.

pman42
07-25-2013, 10:13 AM
From the site: "Many healthcare providers do not recommend non-prescription niacin SR products, due to an apparently higher risk for liver damage". That is illogical, as it is the dose-release form, not where the niacin comes from, that according to research determines the effect on liver enzymes

Freepressright
07-25-2013, 10:29 AM
titrating is to avoid the flushing effect. oh, and the slo-niacin prescriptions are more toxic than regular, immediate-release niacin and much more costly.

Right. You need high doses of niacin to get the cholesterol-lowering benefits. But there's no way you can just start slamming that large of niacin doses. You'd never be able to stand it. The titration allows you to pyramid up and become acclimated to it.

weekend
07-25-2013, 10:48 AM
I was taking 500 niacin every day for like 3 months this year.. The flush never went away and I stopped taking it because it got real old. If I took 1000 3x a day id be itchy smelly and flushed all day every day.

Cdsnuts
07-25-2013, 05:16 PM
Here is the niacin titration schedule, and it can work for you if you follow it:

Niacin Dosage (http://cholesterol.emedtv.com/niacin/niacin-dosage.html)

Also, keep in mind that a lot of people use omega-3 as a complimentary therapy because of its positive impact upon triglycerides. It also has some benefits to your cholesterol, but its effects primarily help with your triglycerides.

You didn't hear? Omega 3's cause cancer.

JM1000
07-25-2013, 06:47 PM
Every thing causes cancer!

pman42
07-25-2013, 08:52 PM
some people like the flush. i can throw back 3 or 4000mg at a time and i enjoy the resulting redness, heat and itching.

if the flush never went away then there's something wrong with your histamine production; eventually your mast cells should be depleted. maybe look into allergies bro