PDA

View Full Version : Ulcerative Colitis and Physical Fitness

Strong_Guy
07-25-2013, 09:37 PM
Where to start… First, I want to point out that this forum (along with the old PP community) has provided me with a lot of educational and helpful information. I believe the members here really offer and add to a professional and mature resource for discussing a variety of topics. I attribute a majority of my knowledge and education in the area of more advanced fitness and bodybuilding to these very sites.

I’ve been recently diagnosed with ulcerative colitis (UC). This is a form of Irritable Bowel Disease (IBD) where, through an autoimmune disorder, your immune system basically gets turned onto overdrive and attacks its own tissue (the colon). It is a chronic illness for which there is no cure, short of having the colon completely removed. In addition to all the great issues associated with IBD, this condition results in a variety of other wonderful effects on the body including fever, dizziness, fatigue, decreased appetite, weight loss, and dehydration to name a few. Additionally, the variety of treatments and medications (aminosalicylates, corticosteroids, immunomodulators, antibiotics, biologic therapies) can have very adverse effects on the body. The corticosteroids are a big concern of mine due to the fact they have been known to be detrimental to physical strength, health, and appearance.

I am a 31 year old male, 6', 182 lbs., about 10% bf and have had no major health issues until now. I like to think I am in above average shape. At one time, I was up to 240 lbs. and about 22% bf. I have worked feverishly over the last few years to get myself in a physical condition that I am happy and encouraged to be in. I don’t want to lose what I have worked so hard to achieve. I want to continue to improve and better myself physically and, in doing so, improve mentally, psychologically, and emotionally. However, I don’t know if this disease will hinder or prevent my progress.

My questions are to any who may be educated or experienced in this area. I want to know if an individual with this condition can realistically continue to put themselves through the intense, sometimes grueling, routines and regimens necessary to achieve the level of physical health we all strive for. I also wonder about supplementation and diet. UC is known to be agitated by certain foods and often times requires a strict diet to help maintain remission once it is achieved. Also I, like many other people, have a whole plethora of supplements I take, to which I don’t know what the effects will be regarding agitating my condition. And lastly, I’m concerned about whether I will be able to continue to utilize androgens and/or prohormones to augment my training. These compounds are known to be sometimes taxing on the body by themselves, so I wonder what the effects may be coupled with UC and the medications that may be required when “flare ups” occur. I’ve mainly stuck with DHEA based compounds (dermacrine, androseries, AMS, etc.) but I was considering possibly trying some methyls for upcoming cycles prior to this diagnosis. I plan on discussing all this at length with my doctor, but it is always helpful to hear from others who may have relevant experience or knowledge.

I apologize for the long post, but I have had a lot on my mind and this is a way for me to get a portion of it out in print and gather input. As I said earlier in the post, I respect what this community offers to people of all ages and backgrounds and believe it to be an excellent resource.

ryhigh
07-25-2013, 10:24 PM
I can't remember who but I was talking a while back about IBD can't remember if it was here or PP, they were very knowledgable hopeful they are still around to hell out, sorry I don't have answers. In sure someone here will have some for you bud.

burlyman30
07-25-2013, 11:28 PM
I have a very good friend with UC. He is in his mid 40s and has managed it with diet mostly, over the years. I believe he developed it in his late teens or early 20s, so he's lived with it over 20 years. He tries to avoid the corticosteroids (i.e., prednisone), but has had a few serious flare ups where the doc forced it on him. Whereas he has tried to go the route of clean eating, digestive enzymes, probiotics, etc, his brother who is also affected by UC went the drug route. Over a similar span of time, his brother has had part of his colon removed, as the drugs dont last forever (along with causing other problems) and since then he may be looking at surgery again in the near future.

He has a book written by a guy who nearly died and ate his way back to a healthy body. The book details a step by step approach to reducing the inflammation, letting the colon rest/heal, and ways to maintain good intestinal health. It's not a "cure", but a guidebook to reducing or eliminating the flare ups. If memory serves me right, the author was a bodybuilder. I'll call up my friend and get that book title for you.

As far as anabolics with UC, I think there are a couple of factors. Firstly, methyls are hard on the body overall, though some are more concerning than others, and dosage size will be a factor. Secondly, I am pretty sure that Anavar has been used with UC/IBS to help with tissue healing (inflamed colon tissue) as well as to help gain weight for those who suffer from this condition. I'm not talking about high doses... I seem to remember 5-10mg/day, so enough to help, but not so much that the liver melts from the methylation.

pman42
07-25-2013, 11:48 PM
I am currently writing up a protocol for a client with UC and would be happy to share it with you (name redacted). as far as how hard you can work, i would say listen to your body and go lighter when you feel sicker. but there are many effective therapies available. i am not knowledgeable about how steroids affect gut tissue, though. that would be something for to research for sure before proceeding

pman42
07-25-2013, 11:55 PM
for him the real trick is keeping weight on during a flareup, we are experimenint with various things. an elemental diet has been used in UC so I suggested he try some Essential Amino Acids. no peptide bonds to break, immediately absorbed, and no fiber and fat, both of which are supposed to be no-nos during flareups.

anyway PM me and I can send you the protocol. it's not quite done but as long as you don't mind a work in progress

Strong_Guy
07-26-2013, 07:14 PM
I have a very good friend with UC. He is in his mid 40s and has managed it with diet mostly, over the years. I believe he developed it in his late teens or early 20s, so he's lived with it over 20 years. He tries to avoid the corticosteroids (i.e., prednisone), but has had a few serious flare ups where the doc forced it on him. Whereas he has tried to go the route of clean eating, digestive enzymes, probiotics, etc, his brother who is also affected by UC went the drug route. Over a similar span of time, his brother has had part of his colon removed, as the drugs dont last forever (along with causing other problems) and since then he may be looking at surgery again in the near future.

He has a book written by a guy who nearly died and ate his way back to a healthy body. The book details a step by step approach to reducing the inflammation, letting the colon rest/heal, and ways to maintain good intestinal health. It's not a "cure", but a guidebook to reducing or eliminating the flare ups. If memory serves me right, the author was a bodybuilder. I'll call up my friend and get that book title for you.

As far as anabolics with UC, I think there are a couple of factors. Firstly, methyls are hard on the body overall, though some are more concerning than others, and dosage size will be a factor. Secondly, I am pretty sure that Anavar has been used with UC/IBS to help with tissue healing (inflamed colon tissue) as well as to help gain weight for those who suffer from this condition. I'm not talking about high doses... I seem to remember 5-10mg/day, so enough to help, but not so much that the liver melts from the methylation.

Thanks for the input. I've done a lot of research on UC. I pretty much had myself diagnosed before I even went to the doctor due to my textbook symptoms. My family tried to remain hopeful that it was just a stomach bug or infection, but I was pretty confidant it was either Crohn's or UC, and prayed it wasn't cancer.

I am still hopeful that I can manage this, and it won't slow me down too much. A lot of it depends on the severity of the disease. I've read where mild cases can have months and even years of remission between flares, and I've also found where severe cases can be completely debilitating. I had many different tests done including bloodwork, stool sample (yay), colonoscopy (another yay), and yet some more bloodwork. Everything indicated inflammation, but even the scope didn't conclude UC (which is usually the deciding factor). It wasn't until the final blood test where they found anything indicating UC. Apparently there are certain markers found in the blood that can either indicate Crohn's or UC, my blood had the UC marker. I had no symptoms at all through life, then it hit, and it was hell for several weeks. Now its about two months later and nothing, no problems at all. So either I have a mild case, or its just starting to really develop. I have a follow up appointment with the GI doctor where I should get more answers.

Strong_Guy
07-26-2013, 07:21 PM
for him the real trick is keeping weight on during a flareup, we are experimenint with various things. an elemental diet has been used in UC so I suggested he try some Essential Amino Acids. no peptide bonds to break, immediately absorbed, and no fiber and fat, both of which are supposed to be no-nos during flareups.

anyway PM me and I can send you the protocol. it's not quite done but as long as you don't mind a work in progress

Thanks, I appreciate it more than I can express, PM sent. I have found that it can be quite manageable if one is cognizant of their diet and general health habits which I find encouraging.

Strong_Guy
09-15-2013, 05:39 PM
Well figures, I started my next cycle of AHv3 and 11 oxo a few weeks ago, then this week another awful UC flare-up started. I will be going to the GI doc very soon to get started on some medication, though I'm not sure yet what that prescription will be. I'm going to avoid corticosteroids if at all possible, but I know it is a common choice for treatment so it could very well happen. That is what I am trying to figure out now. Corticosteroids are closely related to cortisol, and 11 oxo is a strong cortisol inhibitor, sooo does that mean if I continue this cycle, the 11 oxo will counteract the corticosteroids and thus prevent the needed effectiveness to try and get remission of the UC? I don't know, and those of you out there may also not know, but I though it would be worth trying to get some insight. I will talk to the GI doc about this as well, but generally speaking most medical practitioners frown on any PH use anyway so I was hoping I might find some educated, unbiased views here as well. I think it could all be a moot point anyway because UC negatively effects the absorption through the colon, so it may just be best to end the cycle and try again if/once I can obtain remission of the UC as I'm probably not getting good absorption of the AH and 11 oxo since they are taken orally.

studog
09-15-2013, 10:09 PM
I have had UC for 34 years it truly is a very debilitating disease, whenever I have a flair up it almost breaks my will to live. That being said modern medicine is making some progress, and new medications that have helped immensely. If you ever need to talk to someone who has lived with this forever PM me I will give you my phone #, If I don't have enough posts on this site for PM look me up on PHF. If I'm breaking any rules on this site sorry.

Strong_Guy
11-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Well the downward skid of my health just seems to continue... I've had moderate to severe back pain for about the last 10-12 years. I've managed it fairly well through the use of regular OTC NSAIDS (ibuprofen, naproxen, asprin) but since my diagnosis of UC I've been on the anti-inflammatory drug Lialda (mesalamine) and therefore has prevented me from taking any other anti-inflammatories for the back pain. I originally thought it could possibly be due to a muscle problem such as Piriformis Syndrome since x-rays and MRIs over the years showed no abnormalities at all with my spine. The pain, now accompanied by significant back stiffness, has become quite severe so I was referred to a rheumatologist by my GI doctor. After various testing I have now also been diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis in the sacroiliac joints, specifically Ankylosing Spondylitis. The doctors now want to put me on the biologic, Humira (TNF inhibitor Adalimumab), as it should treat both the UC and the AS... To tell the truth through all this, I've come close to just saying f--- it to the whole fitness thing. It just feels like I'm fighting and losing battle. With any luck I will eventually end up with a colostomy bag and a fused spine. I hate to seem overly dramatic or sound completely defeated but, well I do. This is no way to live, especially at just 31 years old.

Strong_Guy
11-29-2013, 01:37 AM
It looks like Humira is going to be the most effective attempt at a "catch all" for the UC and SI pain. But wait for it...... As part of my pre-screening for the Humira they had to do some additional blood tests, and guess what, I tested positive for latent TB. Aside from being a terrible pill to swallow on its own, I cannot now, start the Humira. I've been working in public safety for the last ten years so that's a good indicator as to where I could have been exposed to TB. I actually had to get the skin test done a few years ago and it was negative at the time. However, this was the blood test which is the most fool-proof so I do in fact harbor the TB infection. The good thing is its latent (dormant) and "easily" treatable with a 6-9 month treatment of a potent antibiotic. The medication that I will be taking is Isoniazid. This isn't without its own risks though. They are pairing it with Pyridoxine which is basically a prescribed high dose vitamin B6. This is due to the medication potentially having adverse neurological effects due to the depletion of B6 as a byproduct of the antibiotic. So that part is good. The other concern is that Isoniazid is also potentially very hard on the liver. I will have to go in for monthly tests to monitor my liver values to make sure things stay normal. Apparently many go through the treatment fairly well with little sides, but the liver damage potential has me worried. So on that note, I had read where some doctors advise their patients who are undergoing this treatment to take some form of liver support. On a related note I was wondering: What are some recommended good, effective, and fairly economical (keep in mind I will have to be on this treatment 6-9 months) liver supports out there? I figured this would be a good place to check, I haven't had to really look into this before as I've never ran methyls or anything... Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Enuke65
11-29-2013, 08:00 AM
What makes the anti-biotic liver toxic? Would TUDCA be acceptable for liver support?

Cdsnuts
11-29-2013, 10:20 AM
What makes the anti-biotic liver toxic? Would TUDCA be acceptable for liver support?

Most antibiotics are horrible for the liver. Not to worry though. Due to over prescribing they are all going to be ineffective very shortly anyway.

Cdsnuts
12-09-2013, 08:24 AM
'The human race is in trouble' now that the post-antibiotic era is on our doorstep (http://www.naturalnews.com/043176_antibiotic-resistant_bacteria_post-antibiotic_era_human_race.html)