PDA

View Full Version : To shave or not to shave your head...

burlyman30
07-27-2013, 08:30 PM
Interesting study on how baldies like me are percieved.

Shorn Scalps and Perceptions of Male Dominance (http://spp.sagepub.com/content/early/2012/07/12/1948550612449490). Abstract here. Full text article to the right of the abstract.

If you are starting to lose your hair, a close shave might be worth considering.

Freepressright
07-27-2013, 09:23 PM
HACKED - Post removed by FPR

WesleyInman
07-27-2013, 09:44 PM
I agree with this study..ever since I shaved my head, I have gotten more respect and people act nervous/scared around me...I'm sure working out and having a shaved head gives double the effect as someone with no muscle who is shaved..meanwhile I consider myself a nice person and would give anyone the shirt off my back.

Also oddly enough I have pulled 3x more women since shaving me head then when I had hair. Go figure. I don't feel as attractive, but then again I don't give a shit either now...that might be the reason for the increase in women...I simply do not try to impress them at all.

ryhigh
07-27-2013, 10:49 PM
^^^ you come across as a extremely nice guy, I don't doubt you get the women. Although I'm sure your physique helps too lol.

This article is interesting. I don't have a shaved head but I have a #1 buzz so pretty damn short. I've been told I need to change my hair style since I'm entering the "professional" world. Now living in LA it hasn't been a issue cause things are so relaxed, but I'm moving to Vegas in a month. I think I look damn good all suited n booted with my buzz. Question is those with experience, does it even really make a difference??? I can't see how it would as long as I'm clean cut and professional.

burlyman30
07-27-2013, 11:21 PM
Though I don't put myself in situations where I am going to "pull women", I can say my wife likes my head shaved and I have gotten complimented by other women on many occasions. Since I have very little hair on the top thanks to genetics, and the rest is beginning to be infested with gray, I have found that I look more youthful when shaved. It looks trendy instead of old man-ish.

Granted, I am a low maintenance sort of a guy, so I find shaving with a blade every day or two a bit too much. I will shave it clean on occasion, but it's rare. Usually, I just shear it as close as my electric clippers will take it and then leave it alone for 3 or 4 weeks.

A lot of guys have gone shaved in the movies these days, which probably doesn't hurt the sexy factor. Many women go gaga over Bruce Willis, Jason Statham, The Rock, Vin Diesel, etc. My wife is one of them. Shaved plus muscles seems to be a winning combination.

Sperwer
07-27-2013, 11:27 PM
^^^ you come across as a extremely nice guy, I don't doubt you get the women. Although I'm sure your physique helps too lol.

This article is interesting. I don't have a shaved head but I have a #1 buzz so pretty damn short. I've been told I need to change my hair style since I'm entering the "professional" world. Now living in LA it hasn't been a issue cause things are so relaxed, but I'm moving to Vegas in a month. I think I look damn good all suited n booted with my buzz. Question is those with experience, does it even really make a difference??? I can't see how it would as long as I'm clean cut and professional.

I used to practice law in a fancy "white-shoe" Wall Street law firm and then as associate general counsel of a Fortune 50 company. It doesn't get any more professional or up-tight than that, and no one ever said anything about my shaved head. Of course, maybe they were just too intimidated - but that works too in the "professional" world. And I'm talking about 25-30 years ago; it's got to be even less of an issue these days.

O_RYAN_007
07-28-2013, 12:27 AM
I've always had really thin hair, since I was in the 8th grade. Toco-8 has really helped, but I feel Im at a point where Im just going to give myself a 1 buzz and keep it that way. I actually brought it up to my wife this week, and she was a little on the fence about it. I just want to cut it so I don't have to worry about bs!

Cdsnuts
07-28-2013, 09:46 AM
I agree with this study..ever since I shaved my head, I have gotten more respect and people act nervous/scared around me...

That's because you're a beast brother!

Also oddly enough I have pulled 3x more women since shaving me head then when I had hair. Go figure. I don't feel as attractive, but then again I don't give a shit either now...that might be the reason for the increase in women...I simply do not try to impress them at all.

Definitely the the not giving a shit.....the not trying....works without effort. I always found that funny about women. Always want the one that doesn't seem to want them.

Cdsnuts
07-28-2013, 09:52 AM
Shaving my head was one of the most liberating things I've ever done. I have an I.D. badge that I wear while working and it has an old picture on it of when I had hair. Everyone tells me I look much, much better with a shaved head. It's completely unsolicited too. They just feel the need to let me know. Makes me wonder if I just looked that shitty before.....lol.

I'm embarrassed that I ever sweated the fact it was falling out. The whole Rogaine/Propecia bullshit was just a huge waste of time and money for me. Not too mention the damaging health effects.

I clip it down as low as I can with my clippers once a week and I'm good to go.

Love the fact I can run DHT compounds worry free.

ryhigh
07-28-2013, 10:18 AM
I used to practice law in a fancy "white-shoe" Wall Street law firm and then as associate general counsel of a Fortune 50 company. It doesn't get any more professional or up-tight than that, and no one ever said anything about my shaved head. Of course, maybe they were just too intimidated - but that works too in the "professional" world. And I'm talking about 25-30 years ago; it's got to be even less of an issue these days.

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it. Cool, yeah im definately not gonna be working on Wall Street lol if all goes thru ill be working for MGM Grands marketing department promoting and marketing all their fights and major events.

milehighguy
07-28-2013, 11:06 AM
Have always wondered what I would be like to sport a chrome dome...One of these days I'm sure I will try it out

Freepressright
07-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Hey guys, sorry about the inappropriate post. I left myself logged in and one of my prankster friends got me again.

Cdsnuts
07-28-2013, 12:45 PM
Hey guys, sorry about the inappropriate post. I left myself logged in and one of my prankster friends got me again.

I was just thinking how out of character that post was....

ryhigh
07-28-2013, 12:47 PM
Sounded like an OD comment lol

O_RYAN_007
08-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Well I went ahead and took the plunge. I buzz my head to a #1. My hair was thinning pretty bad over the years, and I just had enough. I was able to hide the thinning for a while, and it was already getting on my last fkn nerve! After reading everyone's comments here, I figured I'd just man the fk up! I feel much better about doing it. As Cdsnuts said, it felt empowering. I was just worried what the wife would think. Needless to say, she thinks its SEXY! I'll take that, she also says I look more Mexican, but what she means is that I look more like a Cholo! LMFAO!!!

Scope75
08-07-2013, 08:14 PM
I've been shaving my head for 16yrs so since I was 12 and now that my hair is thinking out pretty good I don't even care so I'm glad I started shaving my head when I did.

Females have always liked my shaved(000 clip) head and that study is on the money.

ireland
08-08-2013, 11:13 AM
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER ...lol ...i got shoulder length blonde hair to go with my blue eyes....a club for dome heads ..please.. its like when ginger haired ones get round a table and claim their hair is strawberry blonde lol...ginger is as ginger does. grow your hair thick and long....like a lions mane lol.

O_RYAN_007
08-08-2013, 01:44 PM
I used toco-8 twice a day for a long time and nizoral shampoo together, and this didn't even help increase the thickness of my hair. I've always had really thin hair (I can thank my dad and grandfather for this) and things just got worse and worse. I could have continued covering it up or hiding it, but I figured why delay the inevitable?

DJM
08-08-2013, 01:46 PM
I've been shaving my head for 16yrs so since I was 12 and now that my hair is thinking out pretty good I don't even care so I'm glad I started shaving my head when I did.

Females have always liked my shaved(000 clip) head and that study is on the money.

pretty much the same