PDA

View Full Version : Statins can undo benefits of exercise

Freepressright
08-09-2013, 07:54 AM
I've known this for a long time. I've watched statins strip the hard-earned muscle mass off of two friends in recent years. I saw this in my news feed this morning and felt compelled to post it.

While I know Mercola is a lightning Rod and that there are different views out there about him, this article is based on solid research and includes excerpts from a New York Times article citing studies. Interesting read.

Anyone in the exercise business should consider niacin titration and fish oil before subjecting their liver and muscle tissue to a statin.

Statins Can Undo the Benefits of Exercise
(http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2013/06/07/statins-exercise.aspx)

Jelisej
08-09-2013, 11:36 AM
Statins literally can make person a criple. It ruins muscles. They should be thrown in garbage.

Grape Ape
08-09-2013, 09:12 PM
COQ10

Cdsnuts
08-10-2013, 06:49 PM
They destroyed my uncles ability to walk correctly. Totally ruined the muscles in his legs. Made him have what is known as "duck walk."

Freepressright
08-11-2013, 03:37 PM
COQ10

How about not taking the chance to begin with? Statins are awful, and finally there are docs waking up to this.

It is downright ridiculous how low the AMA is pushing the standards for cholesterol numbers. They're now pushing people to be below 100 in some cases.

What the fuck? Under 100?

The "War on Cholesterol" is driven by obscenely large and profit-hungry corporations and fails miserably at acknowledging the necessary and beneficial role of cholesterol in the human body. Without it, your brain could not function, your cells would have no protection and you would have virtually no gender hormones at all.

High cholesterol in most cases is a marker for a bad lifestyle. It's high because someone's fucking up somewhere along the line (barring the very few people who have a genetic ailment that causes their cholesterol production in the liver to go off the charts). The high cholesterol is not the cause of the person's heart condition. It's a symptom of poor lifestyle and exacerbated by inflammation.

I in no way want to imply really high cholesterol is good, but the outright war on it is ridiculous and only designed to keep big profiteers rich.

Cdsnuts
08-11-2013, 05:17 PM
How about not taking the chance to begin with? Statins are awful, and finally there are docs waking up to this.

It is downright ridiculous how low the AMA is pushing the standards for cholesterol numbers. They're now pushing people to be below 100 in some cases.

What the fuck? Under 100?

The "War on Cholesterol" is driven by obscenely large and profit-hungry corporations and fails miserably at acknowledging the necessary and beneficial role of cholesterol in the human body. Without it, your brain could not function, your cells would have no protection and you would have virtually no gender hormones at all.

High cholesterol in most cases is a marker for a bad lifestyle. It's high because someone's fucking up somewhere along the line (barring the very few people who have a genetic ailment that causes their cholesterol production in the liver to go off the charts). The high cholesterol is not the cause of the person's heart condition. It's a symptom of poor lifestyle and exacerbated by inflammation.

I in no way want to imply really high cholesterol is good, but the outright war on it is ridiculous and only designed to keep big profiteers rich.

I felt like I was looking at something i wrote. Perfectly construed.

Jelisej
08-12-2013, 07:30 AM
Personally, I think that high cholesterol levels in some cases is hereditary condition- but even there with good lifestyle it can somewhat be kept under control, problem gets serious if blood pressure is high as well, another danger in equation comes from high carbohydrate comsumption.
Other situation when cholesterol level goes high- which is common here from disbalacing hormones, like on cycles or PCT- low E2 usually causes elevated cholesterol levels.
Cholesterol caused by poor diet (and lifestyle)- this one is where there are no excuses really, unless there is other underlying condition- cholesterol raised by porr diet/lifestyle is not result of few weeks, or even month, IMHO I think it result of probably years of pigystyle eating,
IMO, most common cause of elevated cholesterol (bad cholesterol) levels is underactive thyroid gland, which may be caused by number of other reasons (thyroid disease, non-thyroid ilness that is making thyroid to slow down, or some other hormonal imbalance that is slowing down thyroid, which is body's natural reaction to slow down damage)

On other hand people with too fast thyroid levels will have too low cholesterol levels, which is not good either, for example people with low cholesterol level will have hard time to build muscles- actually AFAIK athletes and people with higher muscular mass tend to have somewhat higher cholesterol levels, because cholesterol is important in hormonal pathways but in building muscle and energy proccesses.

As conclusion- in my opinion, people who were put onstatins were victims, because there were plenty of other options, and one of them would be finding any inflammation, treat it and then move to "hormonal optimisation" if neccessary.

Freepressright
08-12-2013, 08:22 AM
Say the words "hormonal optimization" and to the majority of people and even doctors out there today, it will look to them like you're speaking Chinese. Ain't nobody got time fo' dat! People want their Lipitor and TRT and they want it NOW!

It's a major societal flaw. Few doctors care about fixing underlying problems. They only treat symptoms.

We have an MD here who, 15 years ago, was preaching what we're talking about here today on his monthly radio show (Dr. Al Bazzoli). He was promoting prevention and healthy lifestyle and suggesting that conventional medicine had become about disease management and not health care. As a result, the hospital and physicians on staff revolted against him and the board revoked his privileges.

Another physician in town who helped lead the revolt against him later found out his wife had cancer. Desperate and scared, when he had no one else to turn to, he went to Dr. Bazzoli for advice on natural alternatives.

A pathologist who was on the medical staff at the time now says, "Al had it right all along. He was really ahead of his time."

As the years passed, the hospital has tried to buy Dr. Bazzoli out, bring him on the medical staff and pay him a salary. He tells them every year to go pound sand. He does EMG medicine and acupuncture and doesn't need them.