PDA

View Full Version : Your input is needed!

h2s
08-27-2013, 06:34 PM
Hey guys,

I am thinking about adding a system to the forum. There is something similar to it on anabolic minds.

It would be a product review section. Would feature all sports nutrition products, prohormones (and maybe AAS, although I think inconsistency in UGL dosing would make this a bit unreliable). It would show the product name, maybe ingredients, etc, and then members who have used it can leave a review.

This way, say I was interested in trying All-in from PN. I could goto the review section, look up all in, and see reviews done by members of this forum.

What do you guys think?

O_RYAN_007
08-27-2013, 06:56 PM
Do eeeeettt!

milehighguy
08-27-2013, 07:07 PM
Yes
For sure

derekh83
08-27-2013, 07:54 PM
Great idea!

Sperwer
08-27-2013, 08:11 PM
Go for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broly
08-27-2013, 08:30 PM
Good things happen here when H2S is active on AM! Go for it!

mahatma
08-28-2013, 07:39 AM
product ratings are obviously useful, however, how does one implement controls to avoid bogus pimping by owners or their minions ?

h2s
08-28-2013, 08:08 AM
product ratings are obviously useful, however, how does one implement controls to avoid bogus pimping by owners or their minions ?

This is a concern I had as well, and one of the larger issues is being a new forum, having a 100+ post to review rule would be worthless as not enough people qualify for it (although there will be a tiny 1-2 post count minimum to avoid bots).

I will try and think through solutions, but for now, it will have to have a close eye on it for obvious bs.

nate3993
08-28-2013, 08:19 AM
Yeah. I think some thing like a 5 or 10 post minimum wouldn't be anything ridiculous.

burlyman30
08-28-2013, 08:26 AM
Yeah. I think some thing like a 5 or 10 post minimum wouldn't be anything ridiculous.

Agreed. If there's a lurker that wants to put in his .02 on a product, this might encourage him out of the woodwork.

h2s
08-28-2013, 11:22 AM
Agreed. If there's a lurker that wants to put in his .02 on a product, this might encourage him out of the woodwork.

What did you think of the arnold 'join' implementation, since we had talked about this before?

burlyman30
08-28-2013, 11:47 AM
What did you think of the arnold 'join' implementation, since we had talked about this before?

I've been on tapatalk so I haven't seen it yet... I'll try to check it out tonight at home.

mahatma
08-28-2013, 12:13 PM
shameless post to bump up my post count :-)

There are probably some kind of tools for use out there in cyber world that would allow a pre-qual or check of a posters status.

FYI - I've read other sites where people are asked to "vote" on products which mfg's would offered free product like "if you vote us best in class we'll send you..."

just need to be mindful of these type of work arounds...I am learning that it's just part of the business.

h2s
08-28-2013, 12:23 PM
shameless post to bump up my post count :-)

There are probably some kind of tools for use out there in cyber world that would allow a pre-qual or check of a posters status.

FYI - I've read other sites where people are asked to "vote" on products which mfg's would offered free product like "if you vote us best in class we'll send you..."

just need to be mindful of these type of work arounds...I am learning that it's just part of the business.

That is unavoidable by script, and we will just have to stay mindful of it. I do have tools in place to prevent scammers from registering. The first few faired well, but eventually bots overcame it. The registration security questions seems to have increased the effectiveness of our security package at this point, but unfortunately, spam protection only last so long before someone out programs it.

Broly
08-28-2013, 07:40 PM
spam protection only last so long before someone out programs it.

This will always be the case... Think of hackers/bots/scripters as the common cold, always adapting and evolving. I'm Network + and Security + certified so I understand the frustration of this.

There's only so much you can do h2s, it'll be up to the user to verify the validity of a review/reviewer... not that hard or time consuming to type their name into the search engine and see how much weight their word holds.

Edit: Don't know if my eyes are playing tricks or not but I can't find the search capability anymore...

h2s
08-28-2013, 08:50 PM
Edit: Don't know if my eyes are playing tricks or not but I can't find the search capability anymore...

Thanks for the insight, being that vbulletin is the largest of the forum system providers, its an easy target as well.

As for the search, it is a known issue, I am working on getting it to jive with the new layout.

Broly
08-28-2013, 10:14 PM
As for the search, it is a known issue, I am working on getting it to jive with the new layout.

Okay good to hear... guess I haven't gone completely insane yet

burlyman30
08-28-2013, 11:34 PM

Ok... just saw this. Looks better than what I originally talked about, which was just a pop-up box with a message. The Arnie in the corner is cooler, for sure.

I do have to say, I think it would be awesome if we could get Arnold's voice to actually SPEAK those words. lol

olddawg
08-29-2013, 04:31 AM
There are a few of these out there
Arnold Soundboard | Flash Videos (http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/arnold)

h2s
08-29-2013, 07:07 AM
Ok... just saw this. Looks better than what I originally talked about, which was just a pop-up box with a message. The Arnie in the corner is cooler, for sure.

I do have to say, I think it would be awesome if we could get Arnold's voice to actually SPEAK those words. lol

Would certainly be cool, but I generally hate getting unexpected sound on a website, so I figure there are many others who are the same.

pman42
09-04-2013, 02:08 AM
I just saw this the other day for the first time when i went on SS on work. i thought it was really annoying. i usually stay logged into SS on home computer and couldn't remember my password.

although, it is a much better implementation than some sites use, limiting you to a certain number of page views then requiring you to register. that's so annoying that i don't even bother requesting my lost password from years ago on mind & muscle when i go over the view limit

h2s
09-04-2013, 07:09 AM
I just saw this the other day for the first time when i went on SS on work. i thought it was really annoying. i usually stay logged into SS on home computer and couldn't remember my password.

although, it is a much better implementation than some sites use, limiting you to a certain number of page views then requiring you to register. that's so annoying that i don't even bother requesting my lost password from years ago on mind & muscle when i go over the view limit

Well at this point it is a test. We have an insane amount of guest traffic compared to members, I would rather see people joining and furthering discussion. We will see how it goes and what feedback we receive.