PDA

View Full Version : anyone else use a straight razor for shaving?

SoCal-Nutrition
08-29-2013, 08:02 PM
I've been using a straight razor for about a year...can't go back to a regular shave now.

I appreciate that it forces me to slow down and it's kinda therapeutic.

any other guys on here use a straight razor?

milehighguy
08-29-2013, 08:45 PM
Never tried it myself
What made you switch?

burlyman30
08-29-2013, 10:12 PM
Hmmm.... would a shaving kit with a straight blade be allowed as a carry-on item on a flight?

I'm always in a hurry when I shave, which is a less frequent occurrence than it should be. Once or twice a week. Its a good thing I work for myself. Lol.

SoCal-Nutrition
08-29-2013, 11:38 PM
definitely not carry on Friendly.

I've not had any issues checking it when I travel. I don't always pack it when I travel, sometimes I'll just bring my BIC

I only shave 2-3 times a week.

reasons I made the switch:

better for your skin (great way to exfoliate)
better for the environment (not chucking cartridges into the trash)
it forces me to take my time with grooming - doing things fast isn't always better. ends up being therapeutic
plus, it feels super manly.

burlyman30
08-30-2013, 12:02 AM
When I switched from an electric razor to a standard one, I felt manlier. I'm sure the same thing happens to yet another degree with a straight blade. Do you shave your head too, by chance?

SoCal-Nutrition
08-30-2013, 12:14 AM
When I switched from an electric razor to a standard one, I felt manlier. I'm sure the same thing happens to yet another degree with a straight blade. Do you shave your head too, by chance?

No...I'm not sure I would be game to shave my head with it.

burlyman30
08-30-2013, 12:21 AM
No...I'm not sure I would be game to shave my head with it.

It'll increase your man quotient!!

Sperwer
08-30-2013, 01:46 AM
I used a striight razor for awhile when I was young. These days I'd probably do an absent-minded van Gogh to myself if I tried it.

pman42
09-02-2013, 07:33 PM
I wanted to buy one but knowing myself I wouldn't maintain it. I'm kind of a blade hound and I have numerous nice kitchen knives, folding knives and fixed blades. I like sharpening them but I don't do it everyday, it's a pain, and with a straight razor my understanding is that you basically have to sharpen it and strop it after every use or the edge breaks down and it's ruined. so i stay with a cartridge but use good quality shave lotion and aftershave

SoCal-Nutrition
09-03-2013, 03:03 AM
yeah, you have to use the strop each time you shave. I actually use it twice, once before and then again about 70% through...avoid nicks that way ;)

I've had my razor honed once since I got it...think I'll probably get a second one to add into the rotation. but, I think I'll get it honed again soon...there's a barber near me that does an awesome job.

Plus, I got a basic one...didn't want to invest too much in case I didn't take to it. Now I'd like to get a horn or wood one...

pman42
09-03-2013, 10:59 AM
so you don't actually have to sharpen it that often? hmm

SoCal-Nutrition
09-03-2013, 11:44 AM
no. the only reason I had mine done so soon was because I was using the strop too fast...basically sanded the blade down. barber showed me how to properly use the strop and it's been good since November.

I'm thinking the sharpening will be an annual thing for me

h2s
09-04-2013, 08:54 AM
I use a standard commercial multi-blade. I usually shave well. However I always end up in situations where I have to rush my shave, and that puts me off the straight razer.

What would be even better is not working for a conservative ass bank, lol. I much prefer to keep a perm-5 o clock shadow.