PDA

View Full Version : Correcting a B12 deficiency is like getting your life back

Freepressright
08-30-2013, 12:10 PM
The title says it all. I've been battling intermittent, but still consistent brain fog and tiredness the last few years. It wasn't until a blood test showed I was B12 deficient that I did something about it, and I'm not joking, it's like getting my life back. I take acid reducers every day for my GERD (something I hate, but I can't seem to get rid of any other way) and they prevent your absorption of cyanocobalamin, the most common B12 you find in foods and vitamins.

After a shot and several weeks on a high dose B complex with methylcobalamin (the neuro-active methyl B that your body can readily use), the difference is staggering. It happened gradually, but it happened. I have not had this much stamina in years.

Yesterday I worked a full day, trained for almost two hours, cleaned my house, ran with my dog and kids and had some fun adult playtime with my girlfriend and I still had a little left in the tank.

Anyone else ever in this boat?

Sperwer
08-30-2013, 05:33 PM
The title says it all. I've been battling intermittent, but still consistent brain fog and tiredness the last few years. It wasn't until a blood test showed I was B12 deficient that I did something about it, and I'm not joking, it's like getting my life back. I take acid reducers every day for my GERD (something I hate, but I can't seem to get rid of any other way) and they prevent your absorption of cyanocobalamin, the most common B12 you find in foods and vitamins.

After a shot and several weeks on a high dose B complex with methylcobalamin (the neuro-active methyl B that your body can readily use), the difference is staggering. It happened gradually, but it happened. I have not had this much stamina in years.

Yesterday I worked a full day, trained for almost two hours, cleaned my house, ran with my dog and kids and had some fun adult playtime with my girlfriend and I still had a little left in the tank.

Anyone else ever in this boat?

Been there, done that. Together w/ TRT, the b complex JFK shot i get every month - size of a race horse syringe - is what i credit with enabling me to feel like a full-fledged member of the land of the living.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

pman42
09-02-2013, 07:25 PM
once in a while i geta boost of energy from B12 but I don't think I'm deficient. was when i was a vegan, though.

make sure to keep supplementing with methycobalamin because cyan when you're deficient can be counterproductive.

have you tried absolutely everything else for your GERD? DGL? mastic gum? zinc-carnosine? I'd be eating those like candy before i tried a proton pump inhibitor.

Freepressright
09-02-2013, 08:01 PM
I'm afraid of DGL because licorice is estrogenic. I've tried about every kind of fancy enzyme and digestive aid to no avail.

I'm going to give ROH-10 a shot soon. I need to get the fuck off of theses PPI drugs. I know they aren't good for a person.

weekend
09-03-2013, 04:47 AM
^most acid reducers are actually either estrogenic or antiandrogenic and have the potential to cause gyno...

- - - Updated - - -

Especially omeprazole

Freepressright
09-03-2013, 07:47 AM
I never even thought of that because it never crossed my mind. Googled it and there are lots of reports that support what you're saying. I guess it's time to aggressively seek a different course of action.

Freepressright
09-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Suffice to say I've spent the majority of the morning researching not only all the natural remedies for GERD that I haven't tried, but I've looked into all the complaints of sexual dysfunction and estrogen-like side effects surrounding PPI drugs. I stopped and picked up some Heartburn Free (ROH10) from Enzymatic Therapy on the way to work. It's a 20-day treatment and looks promising. I'm going to also grab some mastic gum and DGL. It can't be any worse than the estrogenic sides from PPI drugs. I'll just run a one-pump preventative dose of Sustain Alpha while I'm on the DGL.

Thanks for lighting a fire under my ass to get this done!

nate3993
09-03-2013, 09:57 AM
Dam. That's tight. Glad you your pep back in your step. I tried Synthetek's B-12 for appetite but to no avail. They have some pretty dam good b-12 for cheap.
Lasts a while too since it's the timed release, but obviously you now have a script for it.

Idk if this would work, but maybe a refrigerated pro-biotic? I have IBS that comes and goes, literally, due to my Lyme disease and a probiotic knocks that shit out. I know we're experienceing different issues, but possibly restoring the natural flora in there might help. Metagenics probiotics are the absolute best I've ever used. Check a local health food store.

pman42
09-03-2013, 11:05 AM
Also look into PepZinGI, a zinc-carnosine complex. that, mastic gum and DGL should knock it out. add the enzymatic probiotic and you've got a good stack goin there

Freepressright
09-03-2013, 11:33 AM
Tell you what, though, the methyl B-12 is incredible. I can't go on enough about how human I feel now.

I also have 32 ampuoles of injectable B complex. My natural MD suggested daily methylcobalamin and one injection per week. But I've been feeling so well with the methyl-B that I haven't given myself another shot.

Freepressright
09-03-2013, 11:36 AM
Regarding the ROH-10 (d-limonene) in the Enzymatic Therapy Heartburn Free - I've had orange burps since about an hour after taking it. It's kind of cool, actually.

I went ahead and took my PPI this morning because I've read that the ROH-10 can initially aggravate the reflux before helping it (kinda like Hawthorne raises BP before lowering it). I'm going to discontinue all PPI drugs next week.

The ROH-10 is taken every other day for 20 days and they say it is not needed again for six months, in most cases. Meantime, I'll get some DGL and mastic gum.

weekend
09-04-2013, 01:58 AM
probiotics and avoiding cheeseburgers/pizza/fried food is helpful for me when I get heartburn from orals..

pman42
09-04-2013, 02:13 AM
wow ROH-10 is a huge amount of d-limonene, nice

check out PepZinGi too, man, stuff is good.

Freepressright
09-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Today is an off-day from the Heartburn Free. It's an EOD protocol. No orange burps today.

I have my fingers crossed that this stuff works.

Enuke65
09-04-2013, 12:05 PM
What brand and dose of methyl b12 are you using?

Freepressright
09-04-2013, 06:29 PM
Irwin Naturals Mega B Complex softgels with methylcobalamin and medium-chain triglycerides. It also has Bioperine for absorption enhancement.

$15.99 for two months worth.

Taken per label recommendation. Takes a couple weeks or so to start feeling the full effects.

Freepressright
09-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Here's the breakdown:

Thiamine (as Thiamine Mononitrate) (B1) 30 mg 2,000%
Riboflavin (B2) 30 mg 1,765%
Niacin (as Niacinamide) (B3) 30 mg 150%
Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine Hydrochloride) 30 mg 1,500%
Folic Acid (B9) 400 mcg 100%
Vitamin B12 (as Methylcobalamin) 1,000 mcg 16,667%
Biotin (B7) 300 mcg 100%
Pantothenic Acid (as D-Calcium Pantothenate) (B5) 30 mg 300%
Medium Chain Triglyceride (MCT) Oil 455 mg †
N,N-Dimethylglycine (DMG) (B15) 30 mg †
BioPerine ComplexBioPerineŽ Black Pepper extract (95% piperine) (fruit), Ginger extract (5% gingerols) (root) 6 mg †

†Daily Value not established.

Enuke65
09-04-2013, 08:18 PM
Thanks man, gonna have to check it out

Haritec
11-01-2013, 02:03 PM
Resurrecting an old thread - but with some other info.

In regards to B vitamins - a lot of people have issues with Folate (as in poor absorption or biological pathways that are less than optimal). I notice that the B vitamin FPR is taking has folic acid -some people can't absorb that and convert it to the needed material which is Tetra Methyl Folate - for them the B-Vit has to contain TMF and not folic acid. For others, there are metabolic pathways that put them in need of folinic acid.

I recently sent a sample in for a complete genetic analysis at 23andme (23andme.com). They analysis for about 500,000 gene fragments for $99, and give you some reports on your genetics, whether you are a carrier for genetic diseases, how you react to various drugs and also some info about your ancestry. The interesting thing is you can then have your data analyzed at geneticgenie.com - and they give a full analysis of some of the major genes that affect how you use b-vitamins. You can also get more information about your genetics from Promethease.com and from MTHFRSupport.com. All of this stuff is time consuming but pretty fascinating - I am trying to figure my shit out. However, here are some samples of what I have found out.

I have dilated cardiomyopathy - it turns out I have defects in two genes that affect how the body prevents oxidative damage ( SuperOxide Dismutase) and these are correlated with cardiomyopathy. As a result - I should load up on anti-oxidants.

I have a defect in a gene that affects the bodies uses and uptake of Vitamin D - have to hit that up hard.

I have a gene that prevents me from recycling B12 - so my demand for B12 is especially high.

I have a gene that prevents me from converting methyl folate to folinic acid - and folinic acid is needed in other pathways. So I should supplement with folinic acid.

B vitamins are a huge part of the methylation pathways in the body - which deal with everything from processing estrogen to detoxing from drug use. Personally I have found this 23andme information useful in providing a direction for some nutritional supplementation. Some of it is just humorous - my wife's reply when I told here I was doubly negative in a gene that is related to empathy - "NO Shit Sherlock"