PDA

View Full Version : CrossFit Horror Story

Sperwer
09-26-2013, 03:09 AM
CrossFit's Dirty Little Secret | Eric Robertson (http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3977598)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

SoCal-Nutrition
09-26-2013, 03:48 AM
Thanks for the share! sparks my interest...now I have some research todo.

Cobalt
09-26-2013, 05:56 PM
Crossfit is fucking bullshit and its nothing more than a fad workout routine like fad diets. Hopefully it will go away before I have to hear about how great it is from another douchebag.

burlyman30
09-26-2013, 06:14 PM
Crossfit is fucking bullshit and its nothing more than a fad workout routine like fad diets. Hopefully it will go away before I have to hear about how great it is from another douchebag.

So.... are you saying your NOT a fan? Don't beat around the bush-- just come out and say it!

Bucks
09-26-2013, 06:18 PM
Cross fits good for the ladies but not for size guys !

xxiv
09-26-2013, 06:21 PM
I actually liked crossfit, it was fun and the people were nice.... stoopid but nice.
I went for a month and learned a little, not much. The lack of oversight from the trainers and the lack of programing and routine drove me away.

Rodja
09-26-2013, 06:34 PM
It's here to stay, guys. They have big money behind it now and there's something like 150k people that signed up for the CF Games.

LBC-83
09-27-2013, 06:17 AM
Reebok will be enough to keep it here.

I'd rather people do CF than nothing at all.

Grape Ape
09-27-2013, 07:56 PM
I don't like that you can become a certified CF trainer in a weekend, and then your qualified to teach people how to do Olympic lifts.

WesleyInman
09-27-2013, 08:14 PM
I have seen it work for poeple..It certainly is Overtraining IMO..but it is essentially stole Olympic lifts and strongman and combined them with a fitness type class.

The people at my gym that do crossfit annoy the shit out of me. I yell at them more then anyone..Trying to do handstand pushups and box jumps and setup right in the middle of the gym and in everyones way and not caring. Seems to breed alot of arrogance..why I am not sure.

I had a kid cleaning and pressing 135 staring at me after doing his set like he was tough, so I went up to him and asked him, "do you get beat up alot"...He walked away quickly. For some reason these guys think that it makes them elite.

I do have several friends that got into this....even Pro strongman and even Mark Bell have converted over to that type of training. Half of me feels like they sold out for money.

At the same time, better crossfit then being some slob on a respirator wheeling around in a Hoveround in Walmart with 8lbs of bacon in their cart claiming Obesity based Disability benefits.

burlyman30
09-27-2013, 11:38 PM
^^^ Wes, you crack me up! Hoveround....Walmart... 8 lbs of bacon.... Hahaha.

Scope75
09-28-2013, 05:11 AM
But what's wrong with 8lbs of bacon?? Lol

Bucks
09-28-2013, 07:59 AM
But what's wrong with 8lbs of bacon?? Lol

Ya Scope has that for lunch!

Macdon1588
09-28-2013, 08:32 AM
I admit that I like to watch the games. I think that the people that compete at the highest level are pretty amazing. Yet at the same time, I think it's an illusion. When you look at the biographies of the guys at the top, they are all former college athletes, not regular folks that built themselves up through cross fit. I know 3 different folks that have done cross fit only to have injuries. In fact, one of my coworkers just had to have back surgery for an injury resulting from a squat based WOD. The doctors say he'll NEVER squat again because of Crossfit.

I believe that there are good things about cross fit in terms of the intensity. It makes people lift harder than they ever would otherwise and that produces some results I'm sure. However, someone needs to tell these folks that if they applied that intensity to a properly programmed routine, with a proper diet, they could get the same results or better with WAY LESS risk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Freepressright
09-28-2013, 01:36 PM
I think there are things to be learned from it that can be taken, piece-mealed out and used in other routines, but overall it looks like a bunch of over-training.