PDA

View Full Version : Bodybuilding diet for vegetarians

DJM
11-05-2012, 07:09 AM
BODYBUILDING DIET FOR VEGETARIANS
I am obviously, but meat eater or not, i think this is informative for those that think meat is the end-all for muscle building protein

So hopefully this will help those who don't eat meat, or for those who want to impress their gf/wife and skip the steak and go vegetarian one night (all the while getting your protein)

20 tips for the vegetarian body builder

1. Get sufficient calories
The very first thing a vegetarian bodybuilder must do is ensure that he is getting enough calories. If you don't take in enough calories regularly, your body is more likely to turn to incoming protein for fuel and you very well notice a deficit forming of your body.

2. Intake of fruits and vegetables
Ensure that your intake of fruits and vegetables are high. These supply you with a high source of nutrients as well as the antioxidant protection to keep the immune system strong.

3. Chickpeas and legumes
Vegetarians who are looking to building muscles have to have a high intake of chickpeas and legumes. This is a good low-fat option of carbohydrates and makes a great snack before a workout.

4. Replace the rice with quinoa
If you like to eat brown or white rice, replace that with quinoa, which tastes much like a combination of the brown rice and oatmeal. It is overall high in protein whereas the brown rice is not. This is important for the muscle building in the body.

5. Egg white or soy-protein powder
Egg protein powders are very helpful and if you are a complete vegetarian then replace it with the soy-protein powder. This will help you to boost your protein intake when you need them. They are a must in your daily diet.

6. No processed food
One great mistake we do is relying on processed food. Eating healthy and natural is the best way to maintain a healthy body. A combination of whole grains, fruits, vegetables and nuts are great for the health, there is no need for processed food.

7. Keep workouts short and intense
As a vegetarian you should opt for short and intense work-out sessions. This will prevent you from muscle mass loss.

8. Vary your food choices
As a vegetarian, it is easy to gravitate towards the same foods over and over again. Try to prevent this and go for a variety so that it is easier as well as interesting to abide by a good and healthy diet.

9. Tempeh
Tempeh is a high source of protein for all vegetarians. Many prefer this to tofu which is another high protein option.

10. Consider going lacto-ovo vegetarian
Going lacto-ovo vegetarian is a personal choice and a personal belief. This means that you will include both eggs and dairy products in your diet. This will boost your protein options as well as make you life for bodybuilding easier.

11. Utilize Nuts for Fuel
Another great food are the nuts. They are a healthy source of fat and will provide high energy as well. One handful will boost your calorie intake and make muscle gain much easier.

12. Take plenty of flaxseed, flaxseed oil and walnuts
For a vegetarian, the essential fatty acids have to be flaxseed, flaxseed oil and walnuts since you cannot consume fatty fish or fish oils. These will act as your must-have nutrients.

13. Peanut butter
A good way to boost the fat content is to start eating peanut butter with as many foods you can. This will allow maximum calorie intake which is important for muscle building. You can smear peanut butter onto bananas, apples, or add it to oatmeal.

14. Iron supplementation
One nutrient that you may fall short in without eating any red meat is the iron. Iron is mainly responsible for good red blood cell building. If your red blood cells are low you will be fatiguing a lot faster in your workouts also. If you are a pure vegetarian consider adding an iron supplement to your day.

15. Broccoli and spinach intake
Broccoli and spinach are both high in calcium. This nutrient is great for bones and teeth and can be a great calcium supplement to the body.

16. Don’t let others get you down
If you want to pack on the muscle, concentrate and do your own thing and stay in a healthy frame of mind. The negative influence from people is definitely not going to help you succeed.

17. Eat more often
Eat more often throughout the day. You protein intake will be lower compared to a non-vegetarian but by getting more frequent meals you will ensure to have a steady stream of amino acids going into your muscle tissues.

18. Monitor the body fat levels
One thing that vegetarian bodybuilders are worried about is the muscle mass loss hence you have to be sure that you're regularly monitoring your body fat levels to get a better indication if you are losing muscle mass so that action can be taken to prevent this.

19. Supplement with branched chain amino acids
The branched chain amino acid is an important supplement. You should take this before and after the workout to safeguard against muscle loss.

20. Stay positive
Finally, it is important to stay mature and positive through the entire program. If you are working positively towards your goals, it will be easier to get the results you are seeking.

Cobalt
11-05-2012, 11:58 AM
This is a fantastic write up. I'll be reading this multiple times - I'm cutting back on meat due to being sensitive to animal fats. I've been slowly pulling in new foods to replace the meat and this is spot on for what I need.

DJM
11-05-2012, 12:12 PM
you can build without meat, just harder
cutting sucks tho

Cobalt
11-05-2012, 03:02 PM
I'm a builder, not a cutter, so it shouldn't be too bad, lol.

I saw that you mentioned quinoa instead of rice, what about couscous? A dry cup of it has about 24g of protein. I've been trying to use it instead of rice, simply because it is easier to get than quinoa around here.

DJM
11-05-2012, 03:48 PM
couscous is heavy i think, not sure but its GI GL ratings are pretty bad, but in your case itd be excellent
i wouldnt read too much into the protein of it tho, its an incomplete protein

Milburn
03-14-2013, 06:28 AM
Protein foods are the most important part of the bodybuilding diet but some people are the vegetarian and they don't like to take the proteins which come from the animals.
They can take vegetarian protein foods for the muscles building purposes.
They can eat green vegetables, nuts, green beans, and protein shakes for getting rich amount of the protein.

Coolazice
03-21-2013, 09:35 AM
Interesting how John's post is following Milburn's post again.

Sperwer
03-21-2013, 09:43 AM
Interesting how John's post is following Milburn's post again.

I am totally agree with you peoples.

longBallLima
03-21-2013, 10:38 AM
Protein foods are the most important part of the bodybuilding diet but some people are the vegetarian and they don't like to take the proteins which come from the animals.
They can take vegetarian protein foods for the muscles building purposes.
They can eat green vegetables, nuts, green beans, and protein shakes for getting rich amount of the protein.

OMG. It is amazing and most informative post. I am totally agree with you. There is no doubt that high protein is good for such peoples. According to me these people can also eat boiled rice, boiled potatoes, wheat porridge and such other foods.

how do you guys like spam in your diets?

Royald
06-24-2014, 02:08 AM
The vegetarian bodybuilders should focus on plant based proteins foods for the muscles building (http://www.ourpatch.com.au/newcastle/categories/fitness-facilities-trainers/businesses/294663-adam-prowse-personal-trainer---maitland-boot-camp/).
They can use green leafy vegetables, vegetables seeds, whole grains, green beans, soy, nuts, yogurt, and cheese to get the rich amount of the protein.

necropuppy
06-24-2014, 07:45 AM
Good post. I went vegetarian when I started body building to cut, and it worked really well for recomp, although I guess it wasn't truly vegetarian I ate fish.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk