PDA

View Full Version : Why are people b12 deficient?

BBG
10-04-2013, 10:48 AM
I've always read reports of people going on b12 shots and 90 percent of what I've read is positive feedback.

Why are so many deficient in b12? Is it purely diet? I eat approximately half a lb of liver a week. Is there a point where this dietary b12 could be unabsorbed?

Freepressright
10-04-2013, 11:03 AM
There are a myriad of reasons. One of them is that the gut and digestive system is poor at absorbing and utilizing B-12. Some people can absorb it better than others.

Most vitamins and supplements contain cyanocobalamin, an inferior form of B-12 that isn't neuro-active or bioavailable. Methylcobalamin is the preferred form of B. The difference is night and day for me.

I also read that B-12 in your normal diet isn't really enough. Another thing you have to account for is how much of the planet is on an acid reducing medication. Acid blockers make it almost impossible to absorb B-12. I know when I started B injections, it was like getting my life back.

B vitamins are best absorbed through injection, plain and simple.

burlyman30
10-04-2013, 11:12 AM
This discussion takes me back to the 1980s. Their was a lot of excitement about a new supplement called dibencozide. Incredible gains were touted as possible with this supplement. As it turns out, the main ingredient was cyanocobalamin.

BBG
10-04-2013, 11:15 AM
Yeah I just did some reading and absorption of b12 seems quite complex. I can imagine in our day and age people can't absorb or are not eating enough b12.

Freepressright
10-04-2013, 11:34 AM
Methyl B-12, methylcobalamin, is slightly more expensive than cyanocobalamin, but it's the real deal. It's neuroactive and easy to utilize.

I use Irwin Naturals Mega B Complex with all the B vitamins, methylcobalamin and MCTs. Great supplement for energy. One bottle lasts two months and it's $15.99. They're liquid gels with bioperine.

BBG
10-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Methyl B-12, methylcobalamin, is slightly more expensive than cyanocobalamin, but it's the real deal. It's neuroactive and easy to utilize.

I use Irwin Naturals Mega B Complex with all the B vitamins, methylcobalamin and MCTs. Great supplement for energy. One bottle lasts two months and it's $15.99. They're liquid gels with bioperine.

Very interesting! I eat liver and also use Antaeus Labs Talos at 1 cap every day. Good stuff FPR I will definitely look into this. I love MCTs. I mix it with my tuna.

This discussion takes me back to the 1980s.

Everything takes you back to the 1980s :)

burlyman30
10-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Everything takes you back to the 1980s :)

I spent a lot of time there.

Scope75
10-04-2013, 12:40 PM
BBG have you ever made MCT oil mayo???
I haven't but I plan too

BBG
10-04-2013, 12:58 PM
BBG have you ever made MCT oil mayo???
I haven't but I plan too

No but I also plan to make it. And eventually get into "bulletproof" coffee but that would mean I'd need to start drinking coffee... oh the demands of life. hah

Scope75
10-04-2013, 01:34 PM
No but I also plan to make it. And eventually get into "bulletproof" coffee but that would mean I'd need to start drinking coffee... oh the demands of life. hah

Bro BP coffee is the shit!!!!
I make it every damn day and it keeps me going all day long too. Nice clean/level energy without a crash. I don't use the BP beans either.

Brew
http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s408/scope75/null_zps30517abf.jpg

Then Blend
http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s408/scope75/null_zpsd37266d2.jpg

The Blendtec blender with wildside is the shit!!!!
Yeah it's spendy but it pays for itself with the time it saves me prepping and making food.

Sorry for the derail.

Cdsnuts
10-04-2013, 03:23 PM
Many of the reasons people already mentioned are correct in regards to why people are so deficient. But there is also an overlooked aspect of B12 deficiency that goes beyond the reasons listed. B12 is synthesized by bacteria, in our guts and and by bacteria that we consume unwittingly every day. With the advent of antibiotics, we have slowly destroyed many beneficial B12 producing microbes inside our systems. B12 producing organisms were also taken in from home grown food. They reside in the soil and are ultimately eaten while ingesting the produce. Because of modern farming methods and the increased use of pesticides and chemicals, the soils are so sterilized that the microbes are wiped out, eliminating a major source of B12 in humans. Our quest to be "clean" has had more then a few unintended consequences.

Cdsnuts
10-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Bro BP coffee is the shit!!!!
I make it every damn day and it keeps me going all day long too. Nice clean/level energy without a crash. I don't use the BP beans either.

Brew
http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s408/scope75/null_zps30517abf.jpg

Then Blend
http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s408/scope75/null_zpsd37266d2.jpg

The Blendtec blender with wildside is the shit!!!!
Yeah it's spendy but it pays for itself with the time it saves me prepping and making food.

Sorry for the derail.

I've had a K-tec since 06. It's my favorite kitchen tool by far.

pman42
10-05-2013, 04:31 PM
B12 also requires HCl for absorption, and everyone and their uncle is on proton pump inhibitors these days