PDA

View Full Version : Eating Fat VERSUS Staying Fasted - In the Morning

BBG
10-06-2013, 01:32 PM
SO. For the past several months I've been doing intermittent fasting. I never eat in the mornings. I usually train fasted. On my days off from the gym (rare) my first meal will be tuna mixed with MCT and it's usually very late in the day.

Now I just made bulletproof coffee today. It was delicious and my energy is insane. I do stims a lot in the morning to keep me going but the combo of coffee+MCT is really kicking it for me.

For staying lean... what do you guys think is best? High fat intake + Coffee + MCT or fasting+stims?

I actually think it might be better to do high fat in the mornings... I recently read a study showing that high fat in the morning makes your body better able to handle carbs later in the day.

I also hate society's idea of a "balanced" meal but I'm willing to listen if you think carbs are good in the morning. The ketones from MCT are fueling my brain and from what I understand, it's healthier than glucose as an energy source.

I still eat carbs, but only after my workouts.

Scope75
10-06-2013, 03:14 PM
I'm high fat in the am, fast until PWO in the evenings, and haven't seen or felt any problems by doing so.

MCTs in the am DO NOT break the fast, but your body starts making ketones and then uses them as its fuel/energy source.

Now to answer your question I think coffee+MCTs trumps fasting+stims all day everyday.
Coffee+MCT oil also activates mtor while not breaking the fast so its the best of both worlds.

longBallLima
10-06-2013, 03:38 PM
I actually think it might be better to do high fat in the mornings... I recently read a study showing that high fat in the morning makes your body better able to handle carbs later in the day.

got that source? im a study nerd lol thanks!

Jelisej
10-06-2013, 05:53 PM
Staying fasted is really bad idea- as when body detects fasting state it dose what it has to do- slow down metabolism to increase survival chance
As for which type of foods are more or less suitable- it depends from person to person, lot of people are doing fine on low carb diet, but in some folks testosterone levels drop like a rock without carbs and also lot of people feel drained of energy without carbs-
sweets for sure are not good, but lot of other stuff is actually good like blueberries, raspberries etc... for example blueberries+resveratrol+vitamin d takes immune system to the new levels

Scope75
10-06-2013, 05:55 PM
Staying fasted is really bad idea- as when body detects fasting state it dose what it has to do- slow down metabolism to increase survival chance
As for which type of foods are more or less suitable- it depends from person to person, lot of people are doing fine on low carb diet, but in some folks testosterone levels drop like a rock without carbs and also lot of people feel drained of energy without carbs-
sweets for sure are not good, but lot of other stuff is actually good like blueberries, raspberries etc... for example blueberries+resveratrol+vitamin d takes immune system to the new levels
So your against fasting but what about just fats in the am along with coffee??

Jelisej
10-06-2013, 06:11 PM
So your against fasting but what about just fats in the am along with coffee??

For people for whom low carb diet is good and is working for them to have fats in morning is obviously good tough proteins IMO should be included,
for people who need carbs morning is the best time for carbs
coffee? In long run, I dont think stimulants are good, but I guess one or two coffee in morning is not a big deal

Yeah, this is what I was looking for:
https://www.23andme.com/health/response-to-diet/