PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Fruits/ Veggies Nutrient Content

nate3993
10-07-2013, 06:06 PM
So i've moved and am looking for work so I don't currently have access to a gym, so my diet and "workout" routine has changed majorly. I say "workout" because I pretty much just go for a few mile walk daily to keep healthy.

My diet has mostly been my smoothie.Low carb, with some mixed nuts here and there, but mainly the bulk of of my diet has been my smoothie and my libido has actually been pretty dam good for how little fat ive been eating.

My smoothie is half a banana, half a cup of carrot juice(not from concentrate of course), organic raw kale, organic raw chard, strawberries, and a blueberry, blackberry, raspberry mixture from Costco.

I use frozen fruits. And sometimes I freeze the kale or chard to keep it from going bad.

So basically all of this to just ask, does freezing lower the nutrient content? I know some veggies if cooked for too long loose some of their nutrients, but I haven't been able to find solid info on if freezing fruits and veggies lowers the nutrient content.

Anyone know?

Cdsnuts
10-07-2013, 06:31 PM
Not so much the nutrient content, per se, but the.....vitality, if you will, is effected negatively by freezing. When I say negatively I just mean that the active enzymes that you get from fresh, viable cells in the produce are no longer working. As far as vitamins and minerals, you're good to go.

I'm surprised you're just doing the walks....no body weight stuff?

milehighguy
10-07-2013, 07:12 PM
very interesting question...for breakfast I use my Nutri-Bullet and add both fresh veggies and usually frozen fruit. I'm like Nate in that I go to Costco and buy frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries and the raspberry mixture. It is so much easier then going to the store every few days to buy fresh fruit.

I always thought frozen is still very good since they freeze right after they pick the fruit. Either way my energy through the day is excellent and I am hooked!

nate3993
10-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Not so much the nutrient content, per se, but the.....vitality, if you will, is effected negatively by freezing. When I say negatively I just mean that the active enzymes that you get from fresh, viable cells in the produce are no longer working. As far as vitamins and minerals, you're good to go.

I'm surprised you're just doing the walks....no body weight stuff?

i may start doing that. for the moment though, just doing walks.

weekend
10-07-2013, 10:25 PM
how about some yoga?

started today... feels good

i think freezing vegetables upon purchase is ideal compared to waiting a few days to eat them.

- - - Updated - - -

yoga requires no equipment and i feel as though it will prevent you from losing the mind muscle connection as you take a break from lifting. also some pull ups and push ups and bodyweight (jump) squats would be good

Cdsnuts
10-08-2013, 04:49 AM
I used to do smoothies in the a.m. As of late I've been juicing greens with the addition of just enough sweetness to cut the bitterness of straight greens. Romaine, kale, spinach, cucumber, celery, apple, carrot and a whole lemon. It's like a blood transfusion every morning.

burlyman30
10-08-2013, 07:13 AM
I used to do smoothies in the a.m. As of late I've been juicing greens with the addition of just enough sweetness to cut the bitterness of straight greens. Romaine, kale, spinach, cucumber, celery, apple, carrot and a whole lemon. It's like a blood transfusion every morning.

I've been doing the same thing... bought a vitamix to avoid waste/take advantage of the fiber and I like it better than when I used a juicer.

nate3993
10-08-2013, 02:03 PM
how about some yoga?

started today... feels good

i think freezing vegetables upon purchase is ideal compared to waiting a few days to eat them.

- - - Updated - - -

yoga requires no equipment and i feel as though it will prevent you from losing the mind muscle connection as you take a break from lifting. also some pull ups and push ups and bodyweight (jump) squats would be good

Honestly man, past 3 years I haven't been consistent at all with the gym. And what I understood was that once that mind/ muscle connection is there, it's there. It's in you for good. Not true though? This could be an interesting discussion haha.

weekend
10-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Not true at all. One of my most athletic friends who me and my other friends all deem as having an athletic "gift" drank and partied for a year straight and now has no idea what any form is in the gym and seems to have lost all awareness of his various muscles. He once got to nearly where I am physique wise in only a year when it took me so many... And nothin but creatine for him.

Haha I thought you cycled a lot though?

milehighguy
10-08-2013, 07:12 PM
Honestly man, past 3 years I haven't been consistent at all with the gym. And what I understood was that once that mind/ muscle connection is there, it's there. It's in you for good. Not true though? This could be an interesting discussion haha.

Interesting that you say you have not been consistent. Seems like you are very much into and have good knowledge about supplementation. I would have guessed you were a regular in the gym. You just can't seem to find your way to the gym on a regular basis? Or your not seeing the results you expect? Or both?

nate3993
10-09-2013, 08:19 PM
Not true at all. One of my most athletic friends who me and my other friends all deem as having an athletic "gift" drank and partied for a year straight and now has no idea what any form is in the gym and seems to have lost all awareness of his various muscles. He once got to nearly where I am physique wise in only a year when it took me so many... And nothin but creatine for him.

Haha I thought you cycled a lot though?

Nope. I've cycled very little. Really. I've decided that until I need TRT, I'm
Gonna be natty. It's better for me.

Interesting that you say you have not been consistent. Seems like you are very much into and have good knowledge about supplementation. I would have guessed you were a regular in the gym. You just can't seem to find your way to the gym on a regular basis? Or your not seeing the results you expect? Or both?

My Lyme disease has given me fatigue problems and even previously a year ago some endocrine issues. I have to live as healthy a lifestyle as it can. I absolutely have to get my fruits and vegetables in every day. That's why I've been doing my green smoothie. I just started adding in romaine lettuce and half a lime too. I just feel so much better and honestly, with it being winter, when Lyme gets worse, it's kind of a miracle I have the energy I do right now. So walking a few miles every day and just eating right is just fine for meright now. Once I'm employed and have my own place, I can get back to the iron. I'm seriously just thrilled to be feeling how good I do. Libido is doing awesome and thats awesome too.