PDA

View Full Version : Leucine is Ketogenic - Can leucine be used for gluconeogenesis?

BBG
10-23-2013, 11:41 PM
Every amino acid except leucine and lysine are glucogeneic. Leucine afaik cannot be used for gluconeogenesis. Any confirmation on this?

Jack O'Neill
10-24-2013, 03:25 AM
Every amino acid except leucine and lysine are glucogeneic. Leucine afaik cannot be used for gluconeogenesis. Any confirmation on this?

I confirm ^ (this what I know btw).

Kiefer (in carb back loading) strong advices to use ONLY leucine during and post workout (and not BCAAs). There's a reason for this and I can't remember it. Will look at the book

Jack O'Neill
10-24-2013, 03:32 AM
Leucine is able to raise insulin levels independent of blood sugar. Other amino acids only increase insulin secretion in the presence of ample amounts of blood sugar, but not leucine.

I only use Leucine for my workouts since I follow Kiefer's protocols.

I have the reference of the handbook if you're interested

Sperwer
10-24-2013, 04:39 AM
Isn't the primary interest of leucine in its (experimentally demonstrated but contested) utility in directly producing and maintaining muscle tissue - unlike other BCAAs, for which there is no similar scientifically credible empirical evidence?

Jack O'Neill
10-24-2013, 04:45 AM
Isn't the primary interest of leucine in its (experimentally demonstrated but contested) utility in directly producing and maintaining muscle tissue - unlike other BCAAs, for which there is no similar scientifically credible empirical evidence?

I think so ^