PDA

View Full Version : Should I just go ahead and just bulk?

hardestgainer
11-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Just a little backstory:
Im 24 now and for the past 4 years have basically just had injury after injury that has made my time in the gym very on-and-off. I started lifting back when I was 13 for soccer and then freshman year of high school joined our schools olympic weight lifting team(yeah I was lucky enough to have professionals train me for 4 years) Anyways, between high school and now, Ive torn my left acl twice(soccer), tore multiple ligaments in my ankle(ex-gf+stairs=bad), and have now recovered from a torn rotator cuff(1st lifting related injury ever). Also I have a rotated hip but that doesnt effect my ability to lift.

I usually have a lot of difficulty putting on muscle unless I basically double my calories. The problem is, I'm basically skinny-fat now due to all the time off over and over again. Now that I'm 100% again and able to workout I originally wanted to cut simply because I've got a little extra chub on my midsection, but now I'm starting to think it's not even worth it, and instead just focus on getting strength and size back. Because I dont wanna be walking around at 5'11 and 145lbs if I'm back down to single digit bf%

Opinions? Figured Id try and get some advice since I know a lot of you guys were very helpful back in the PP community

Cliffs:
multiple injuries
went from in great to shape to skinny fat
dont know if I should cut down and just be skinny, or bulk up anyways

burlyman30
11-12-2013, 06:12 PM
Why not start back in the gym, keep your calories the same, and let the recomp happen naturally. Your muscle memory will kick in and you'll grow and the additional calorie burning will likely lean you up simultaneously. Once you get most of your muscle memory gains back, you can decide from there if cutting or bulking is the better route for you.

hardestgainer
11-12-2013, 06:42 PM
Why not start back in the gym, keep your calories the same, and let the recomp happen naturally. Your muscle memory will kick in and you'll grow and the additional calorie burning will likely lean you up simultaneously. Once you get most of your muscle memory gains back, you can decide from there if cutting or bulking is the better route for you.

Ya thats what Ive been doing the last few weeks, my muscles are still sore about 3-4 days after training even with me taking 15g BCAA's intra/post workout. Maybe I'll just try and give it some more time to see how my body adjusts.

burlyman30
11-12-2013, 07:26 PM
Ya thats what Ive been doing the last few weeks, my muscles are still sore about 3-4 days after training even with me taking 15g BCAA's intra/post workout. Maybe I'll just try and give it some more time to see how my body adjusts.

I'm the "comeback kid" when it comes to training because I have had so many things interrupt my training over the years. Illness, injury, workload, family stuff, vacations, you name it. I fully understand how hard it is to come back. It generally takes me a month before I feel "on track" again, and another month before I feel as though I am making enough progress to be noticed. Everyone's body has a little different timetable upon their return to the gym, so just play it out for a bit. Use this as a time to observe different things about yourself... recovery, strength and size gains, fat loss, energy levels and endurance, etc. It may help to log or journal the experience as well. You'll get more out of the experience if you view it from a third person point of view along with your own eyes.

weekend
11-12-2013, 07:27 PM
How many calories are you eating now?

hardestgainer
11-12-2013, 07:41 PM
I'm the "comeback kid" when it comes to training because I have had so many things interrupt my training over the years. Illness, injury, workload, family stuff, vacations, you name it. I fully understand how hard it is to come back. It generally takes me a month before I feel "on track" again, and another month before I feel as though I am making enough progress to be noticed. Everyone's body has a little different timetable upon their return to the gym, so just play it out for a bit. Use this as a time to observe different things about yourself... recovery, strength and size gains, fat loss, energy levels and endurance, etc. It may help to log or journal the experience as well. You'll get more out of the experience if you view it from a third person point of view along with your own eyes.

thanks for all the advice, I actually have a good habit of logging all my workouts in my phones notepad anyways so Im good at keeping track of that. Ill have to order a new caliper to help keep track of my bf% since I misplaced my old one.

How many calories are you eating now?

roughly 2500/day but more on days i workout due to the extra 3-4 scoops of protein I have pre and post workout. The toughest part for me when gaining weight it actually eating enough, I usually have to try and eat more calorie dense foods because I normally dont have much of an appetite. back when i was in good shape I was having to take black hole(dont even know if they still make it) to try and get more meals in the day.

weekend
11-12-2013, 07:47 PM
i would bump the calories up 500 or so, so around 3000-3250 per day, focus on eating clean and lifting hard and you will see results. when that stalls out, you can think about bulking and cutting.

Jelisej
11-12-2013, 07:50 PM
Burly is spot on, which does not surprise me- when it comes to training he is one of the best, crème de la crème...
So, hardgainer listen and do!

hardestgainer
11-12-2013, 08:05 PM
i would bump the calories up 500 or so, so around 3000-3250 per day, focus on eating clean and lifting hard and you will see results. when that stalls out, you can think about bulking and cutting.
Thanks, Ill bump it up some more.

Burly is spot on, which does not surprise me- when it comes to training he is one of the best, crème de la crème...
So, hardgainer listen and do!
will do

weekend
11-12-2013, 08:16 PM
basing my recommendation on the fact that youre that sore by the way. dont want to bulk yet or anything, i think the muscle memory recomp is the best idea but if youre sore for that long you could use a tad more fuel.

Sorrow
11-12-2013, 09:07 PM
I think Burly and weekend are on point. A slight bump in the calories should help some with recovery, and getting yourself into a rhythm with lifting would be more of a priority to me then setting out to "bulk" or "cut" right now. Let your body get used to training and like Burly said you should see some recomp from that alone.

I guess kind of the middle ground here, just train my man. Feel good about getting back to the weights and in a few weeks once you've recovered some strength and readied the muscle, re-evaluate your physique and start making corrections when needed. Nothing but good in store for you!

Side note, start a log.. its an easy way to get held accountable and get help along the way, support/critiques. Just a thought.

hardestgainer
11-12-2013, 10:10 PM
basing my recommendation on the fact that youre that sore by the way. dont want to bulk yet or anything, i think the muscle memory recomp is the best idea but if youre sore for that long you could use a tad more fuel.

I think Burly and weekend are on point. A slight bump in the calories should help some with recovery, and getting yourself into a rhythm with lifting would be more of a priority to me then setting out to "bulk" or "cut" right now. Let your body get used to training and like Burly said you should see some recomp from that alone.

I guess kind of the middle ground here, just train my man. Feel good about getting back to the weights and in a few weeks once you've recovered some strength and readied the muscle, re-evaluate your physique and start making corrections when needed. Nothing but good in store for you!

Side note, start a log.. its an easy way to get held accountable and get help along the way, support/critiques. Just a thought.

Thanks again guys ill take all your advice and just stay course im on now, lift and eat clean with a bump in cals to 3k.

Also I'll try to get a log up on here this week so people can give feedback about my diet/workouts

hardestgainer
11-20-2013, 10:33 PM
Just got my log up for anyone who wants to see it and give feedback

Gainer getting his glory days back (http://www.swolesource.com/forum/personal-training-logs/1770-gainer-getting-his-glory-days-back.html#post30457)