PDA

View Full Version : Any Business Grads?

ryhigh
12-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Looking for experiences people have if any? I have my B.S in Marketing Management, and cant decide if I want to go into International Business or continue on in Marketing/management. I want to get the most out of the degree, I have concerns on whether pursuing education in MM is worth it.

JM1000
12-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Go for finance and or accounting. Cpa/cfa/cfo .. If you are good with numbers , donn't hesitate. Marketing is 1.much easier 2. You will end up placing chips in a grocery store, everyone is in marketing lol you wont get a pay unless you are lucky or know the right people!

- - - Updated - - -

Or an MBA for a masters would be good, with concentration in finance...

ryhigh
12-01-2013, 03:02 PM
Go for finance and or accounting. Cpa/cfa/cfo .. If you are good with numbers , donn't hesitate. Marketing is 1.much easier 2. You will end up placing chips in a grocery store, everyone is in marketing lol you wont get a pay unless you are lucky or know the right people!

- - - Updated - - -

Or an MBA for a masters would be good, with concentration in finance...

Lol im good with numbers but hate accounting.. Yeah I feel you that's why im hesitant on continuing with marketing. I have a old client that has his Masters of International Business and hes had much success with that degree, not many people ive heard of have that. Im going to look into your 2nd option for sure

booklifter
12-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Lol im good with numbers but hate accounting.. Yeah I feel you that's why im hesitant on continuing with marketing. I have a old client that has his Masters of International Business and hes had much success with that degree, not many people ive heard of have that. Im going to look into your 2nd option for sure

I know 2 MIBs. Both smart, both very successful, but neither doing anything that seems (at least to me) related to the degree. That being said, it probably opened the door.

BoneDaddy
12-01-2013, 04:57 PM
My wife agrees with JM. She has her MBA and CPA and she does quite well for us, er....I mean herself. She says everyone is in Marketing and it's saturated.

ryhigh
12-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Appreciate the responses guys, just the stuff I wanted to hear

Sorrow
12-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Yeah I added a BS in management last year and it sadly didnt translate into anything directly. I'm still relying on my technical/engineering degree's. Not that I mind, I like what I do. But unless its an MBA program with alot of strong networking opportunities I dont see it helping you alot..

I suppose it depends on your situation. Does your current employer provide college reimbursement, are their positions opening in the next few years you could move into upon completion? Adding something like finance can make you valuable.

hardestgainer
12-23-2013, 11:11 PM
Im stuck between Accounting and Finance personally. Im in the process of applying for transfer to other Uni's to open up more doors right now, so once I know where Im getting in, Ill have to commit to one or the other. Finance for me seems to be more of a dream though because I always wanted to work on Wall St, and only two of the Uni's Im applying to will open the doors for that(one of them requiring me to actually fly out to their campus for a final interview). So accounting is the direction I'll most likely go, everyone Ive talked to says CPA opens a lot of doors.

ryhigh
12-23-2013, 11:16 PM
Im in the same boat im on the waiting list for UNLV for my grad program. Going to major in international business and finance. I don't think i could hang being a CPA i mean i did well in accounting but cant stand it for some reason Thanks for your input, i really appreciate it.

USN HM 350Z
12-23-2013, 11:22 PM
go for a Masters in Health Care administration. Ever expanding with excellent pay. I am finishing up mine in the near future and then probably going to work on a second graduate degree, thinking MBA.

ryhigh
12-23-2013, 11:28 PM
go for a Masters in Health Care administration. Ever expanding with excellent pay. I am finishing up mine in the near future and then probably going to work on a second graduate degree, thinking MBA.

Yeah? I have my BS in Marketing & Business Admin. I have a couple friends who got their BS in Healthcare admin, they like it but i never looked into it. Ahhhhh so man choices, and idk what i want to spend even more money on.!!! I don't even know what i want to take, which is the biggest problem, im already $75 g's in debt just for my BS and the money for my Masters is making me even more nervous on what i should actually study

ryhigh
12-23-2013, 11:41 PM
Sperwer if you ever have time id love your input too. We talked before about your success i think, love some real life experience. Gracias. Starting a Ryan needs to get edjumacated fund, any one feel free to pitch in :)

h2s
12-27-2013, 08:41 AM
I graduated with a marketing degree!

...and now I am a senior financial analyst at a bank. Don't waste your time with marketing. I was naive, and thought I would work for a google-type office coming up with cool ideas for commercials. Out of all of my friends from marketing (many) only one has a position that deals with actual ads. The rest are in product placement (minority) or backroom research (most), and that is the ones that were able to get jobs.

If I could do it again, finance.

Right Hook
12-27-2013, 10:02 AM
BS - Economics - What it taught me had been extremely valuable throughout my career.

MBA - Valuable at a high level. It's not actually useful to a young person in entry level or low level management IMO. But it will get you in the door for interviews for better jobs, you still need the experience though.

MS-IT - Pretty useful in corporate america where baby boomers don't even know how to turn on an iPad let alone manage network security. It doesn't really do much for getting noticed in an applicant pool though (because in general the average person has no idea what IT really does).

chaseq1
01-27-2023, 07:59 AM
A business graduate typically holds a degree in business administration or a related field, such as finance or management. Business graduates are typically well-versed in various business concepts and practices, including financial analysis, marketing, and operations management. They may also have experience in areas such as accounting, business law, and strategic planning. With this knowledge and skills, they are equipped to work in a wide range of industries and positions, including management, finance, marketing, and consulting.

remington.53982
04-08-2023, 06:38 AM
Looking for experiences people have if any? I have my B.S in Marketing Management, and cant decide if I want to go into International Business or continue on in Marketing/management. I want to get the most out of the degree, I have concerns on whether pursuing education in MM is worth it.

I would say, you may better continue MM and can get high profession.