PDA

View Full Version : Fillers in Supps-WTF is the point?

nate3993
12-23-2013, 03:40 PM
So as i was taking my mestebol i was looking at the pills and thinking man, wtf is all this filler doing in the pill? what's the pint of it? does it make for easier capping? I mean, i get that maybe some people would look at the pill and be like, "what? there's almost nothing in here" but who cares. that would be the person's own ignorance. seems like taking out the fillers would be healthier for us, and would cut down on cost, yes? i await for ur answers.

O.N.
12-23-2013, 07:01 PM
So as i was taking my mestebol i was looking at the pills and thinking man, wtf is all this filler doing in the pill? what's the pint of it? does it make for easier capping? I mean, i get that maybe some people would look at the pill and be like, "what? there's almost nothing in here" but who cares. that would be the person's own ignorance. seems like taking out the fillers would be healthier for us, and would cut down on cost, yes? i await for ur answers.

At Wicked Supplements we have a large number of capsuled products......and we do not use fillers. :)

It does cut down costs slightly without fillers however we have to use a more sophisticated machine, technique and depending on the powders being used to fill the capsules can alter fill times and also wash down times....eg you can do xx many batches before needing to wash down, re-prepare and start again. Compared to using fillers you maybe able to get a higher amount of batches completed before needing to wash down and start over. (This process can take time....or money if you can use a multi machine type system, where you can swap plates etc continue the machine whilst washing down the old plates)

Most fillers are lubricating type powders like magnesium sterate for example, they help keep the machine lubed and sometimes also help in keeping moisture levels down of your active ingredients. Since they are cheap and people like to provide a capsule full to the brim they are used to the maximum amount in most cases.

We decided against the use of fillers since we use a company able to do without them, the process as said is basically the same however you get less batches completed per cycle.

nate3993
12-23-2013, 07:05 PM
Ahhhh. Now it makes sense. I figured it had to with easier capping. Thanks for the info man!

Cobalt
12-23-2013, 08:36 PM
Some people use fillers to get the volume needed to fill a cap.
I've been looking to make my own halo caps, and when you break it down to the amount of powder needed to fill caps, it isn't much at all. So, in order to fill the rest of the space, the filler is added to even it out. If you filled EACH CAP by hand, then you can do just the powder, but that takes forever.

Using a small press to do 25-50 at a time, it is easier to calculate the volume that X number of caps holds and break down the amount of active powder and just put in filler to even it out.

That being said, a lot of places use cheap crap as a filler. I plan on using BCAA powder as a filler, lol.

h2s
12-27-2013, 08:36 AM
On the company side, ON hit the nail on the head. On the consumer side, Cobalt did. I love this forum. Fast, legit answers.