PDA

View Full Version : The thyroid journey

ireland
01-01-2014, 03:03 PM
i would like to start a thread which deals with training while dealing with ongoing thyroid issues.
all the old pp crowd know me well (not always a good thing lol ) but for the last 18 months or so i have had to come back into training recovering and dealing with my thyroid explosion.
during may 2012 i started having irregular heartbeats ( palpation's ) BANG one day none ,then sitting watching the sopranos they started and did not stop.....thousands every day....weight started to drop ...fuck that, MELT from me. .....heat,heat heat...always fucking hot.
blood tests showed overactive thyroid....TSH a joke, free T4 into hyperspace.....enter carbimazole....now i would wager injecting tren into your cock would be an easier ride than good old carb....what a bastard....on top of that inderal and then atenolol ( which suits me better).
so ireland was hanging by a thread....half the man i once was lol...but slowly i started training again, completely natural and pure. i dont even take protein shakes now.....everything that enters my body i have prepared myself...
i am open to any and all questions on this subject....from the idiots who use thyroid medication during cycles or from the poor ones who suffer like i did....i am a walking expert on the subject, so if this thread could help anyone ,please let me help you.

Sperwer
01-01-2014, 03:56 PM
Do you count in SNS thyrocaps and similar stuff as idiot feed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

ireland
01-01-2014, 04:15 PM
i am guessing they are a natural product containing , iodine , zinc , magnesium....forgive me if i am wrong but the internet is littered with such products...to answer your question i will first ask a question....if you use them...why? do you feel they give you something that your diet can not ? do you fully understand the thyroid and the balancing act that it requires?
now i guess you do know what your talking about, so i will answer your question....yes i do consider any product which seeks to influence the thyroid unless prescribed by an endocrinologist to be a fools choice....is it as bad as taking levothyroxine to help yourself get cut...god no..but aint smart either.
look i have a lifetime training behind me, ex-army , competitive sportsman etc etc...i have no axe to grind, just my views and my knowledge on this subject to give...thats all.

Sperwer
01-01-2014, 05:25 PM
I get your last; no worries.

I asked because my endo says i have some small problem and has "prescribed" some OTC stuff - containing mostly natural ingredients (vitamins and minerals) (i can't confirm exactly what right now because I'm traveling without it), because both he and I are reluctant to go full Pharma without a really compelling (i.e., life or death) reason. Just curious about the possible contraindications with cycling.
Thyrocaps , otoh, is essentially 3,3-diiodo-I-thyronine, and is touted as a non-stim metabolic booster that promotes fat loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Jelisej
01-01-2014, 05:32 PM
"yes i do consider any product which seeks to influence the thyroid unless prescribed by an endocrinologist to be a fools choice...."

This is a bit an overstatement, as a matter of fact, naturally boosting thyroid for majority of middle-aged people is actually good thing, along with boosting leptin and increasing insulin sensitivity.

I do feel sorry that you had to go through all things you had to go through.

ireland
01-02-2014, 08:44 AM
Ok. You are right and I think we meet in the middle on this one. Firstly the products you speak of are based on people who are hypo and not hyperthyroid. Now using myself as a case study, before the d-day of my symptoms I would have fit the bill for someone who would benefit from these products. Middle aged , and if anything suffering from classic hypo symptom of lethargy. Now clearly I was hyper and taking any of these products would in effect have been like a foot on the gas pedal towards a crash. Only blood tests can really let us know what we should be taking or not in this case. Thyroid symptoms love to move between hyper and hypo and many times I feel one when bloods say I am the other. With this being said I do not doubt and never have the benefit to some people of thyroid boosting supplements but I do maintain that without bloods at the very least it is a trial which should not be undertaken.

ireland
01-02-2014, 08:52 AM
If your endo has said take it then you take it. The desire to avoid a full pharma cure is right on as it is unpleasent to say the least. If it was me I would keep my body pure and natty until problem resolves.

Jelisej
01-02-2014, 06:05 PM
Problem with thyroid, IMO is that majority is cause by autoimmune diseases so there is no really cure as basically body attacks itself and thyroid is favourite target for autoimmune diseases, we can only slow down process and treat symptoms.

Hyperthyroidism is definitely harder to deal with, you definitely have more knowledge in this area, but I guess we will agree that meds for treating this have lot of sides, in the end lot of patients simply remove part of the thyroid itself in which case they usually become hypothyroid

BTW, what did cause your hyperthyroidism? Also, if you dont mind- how was rest of the endocrine system affected?
Also, you may be using it already- but if not selenium is good for thyroid in hypo as well as hyper, AFAIK.

ireland
01-08-2014, 01:06 PM
selenium is good for autoimmune thyroiditis , however it can jack T4 to T3 conversion early in treatment which gives a short term increase ( or can do ) of symptoms.
l-carnitine is a great product and other than a very few select vitamins all i take other than food.
to answer how the rest of my endocrine system was affected is probably the point of this thread...to separate the "thyroid " symptoms from say the adrenal medulla effects are hard to tell the difference to be honest. i would honestly say that all aspects of the endocrine system are affected and liable to "flare" due to hyperthyroid. now the management of these symptoms and to be blunt the plain getting used to them allows the sufferer to in many ways reevaluate what feels normal.
i am happy to list all symptoms and sides if you are interested and the measures which i took ( not always with success ) to deal with them. also how i developed a thyroid training program which allows me to train with fury but not risk the storm.