PDA

View Full Version : Tribulus - Like or dislike?

Freepressright
01-06-2014, 10:31 AM
Tribulus is one of the most curious performance-enhancement herbs out there for me. You have legions of people who swear it works and others who say it does nothing. There are animal studies that indicate it has the potential to raise LH. But there are studies saying it has virtually no impact on testosterone.

Either way, I feel like it does something. When I'm on it, I get an increase in energy and my body composition really leans out and 'pops,' if you will. I don't pack on pounds of muscle or anything, but it definitely helps shred me up if I'm putting in the hard work in the gym and maintain a halfway reasonable diet.

When I'd run Tribulus in the past, I'd buy the NOW brand, standardized at 45% saponins. I'd take 1,000mg 3x daily. And like I said, I liked it. I felt like it had positive benefits for no more money than it costs.

I'm going to try Liftmode's raw powder, standardized at 90% saponins at the same dosage. I'll let everyone know if I can feel it.

But in any event, how many here have used Tribulus and what was your experience?

longBallLima
01-06-2014, 11:24 AM
Mild to none but that was a long long time ago. We could get it from pharma in Brazil but I have no idea what the clinical use was

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

nate3993
01-06-2014, 12:22 PM
I used liftmode's tribulus. Meh is all I can say. And also it's one of the most disgusting tasting powders I've ever used and I'm no wuss when it comes to nasty powders.

Freepressright
01-06-2014, 12:25 PM
I've heard the taste is quite bitter -- to the point that no food flavor can really mask it.

On the other hand, what about the icariin 98%? What did you think of it? There's a guy on one of the shooter's forums who got bloods done and claims to have gone from a 498 up into the 700s while using it.

nate3993
01-06-2014, 01:32 PM
I like the Icariin. Needs to be dosed at like half a gram or more though. Which at half a gram, you only have 10 days worth. Best libido supp you can buy though, hands down IMO, is liftmode's maca. Or at least buy the same quality powder from Alibaba or ebay. It's basically a 100:1 extract. That stuff is the shit. Increased load size, increase arousal. Man that stuff is good. That needs to be dosed at 1-1.2 grams a day, but it's more than worth it.

Freepressright
01-06-2014, 02:36 PM
I like the Icariin. Needs to be dosed at like half a gram or more though. Which at half a gram, you only have 10 days worth. Best libido supp you can buy though, hands down IMO, is liftmode's maca. Or at least buy the same quality powder from Alibaba or ebay. It's basically a 100:1 extract. That stuff is the shit. Increased load size, increase arousal. Man that stuff is good. That needs to be dosed at 1-1.2 grams a day, but it's more than worth it.

Yeah, the icariin does seem like a small quantity for the money, but you can't beat a 98% standardization. Eventually I want to give it a try.

I was debating whether pulling the trigger on some maca was worth it. Guess I'll be trying it next.

Freepressright
01-07-2014, 10:57 AM
I used liftmode's tribulus. Meh is all I can say. And also it's one of the most disgusting tasting powders I've ever used and I'm no wuss when it comes to nasty powders.

I will back you up on the taste. It's like cutting open a bag of black tea leaves and chewing on them. Has a tea-like flavor with a bitterness that's a 10 out of 10. I took water in my mouth and shot it. It was still pretty nasty. It's not unbearable, but this isn't something you'd mix with yogurt or a sports drink.

nate3993
01-07-2014, 02:53 PM
Their maca though....taste like a high quality tea. Like Yerba matte

Freepressright
01-09-2014, 08:45 AM
Their maca though....taste like a high quality tea. Like Yerba matte

Do you split your doses?

nate3993
01-09-2014, 03:41 PM
nope. take it all at once with 10mg bioperine. bioperine isn't necessary, but couldn't hurt

Right Hook
02-25-2014, 09:57 AM
Ran across this new analysis and remembered this thread:

A Systematic Review on the Herbal Extract Tribulus terrestris and the Roots of its Putative Aphrodisiac and Performance Enhancing Effect.

J Diet Suppl. 2014 Mar;11(1):64-79

Authors: Qureshi A, Naughton DP, Petroczi A

Abstract
ABSTRACT Tribulus terrestris (TT) is a dicotyledonous herbal plant of the Zygophyllaceae family. In ancient medicine, extracts of the aerial parts and fruits have been used for its diuretic, tonic, and aphrodisiac properties. Today, TT is widely used by athletes and bodybuilders based on the belief, fueled by claims in marketing information, that it can enhance testosterone concentrations. To assess TT's effect on testosterone levels in human and animals, an electronic literature search out using seven databases and the patent database up to August 2013 was carried out. Randomized control trials, which included healthy human subjects ingesting TT as sole or combined supplement, along with animal studies with TT as a sole treatment across a number of species were included. Eleven studies met the inclusion criteria, including one patent application. The results showed that trials varied in duration, dosage and supplementation with TT as sole or combined treatment, rendering meta-analysis impossible. A limited number of animal studies displayed a significant increase in serum testosterone levels after TT administration, but this effect was only noted in humans when TT was part of a combined supplement administration. Literature available for the effectiveness of TT on enhancing testosterone concentrations is limited. Evidence to date suggests that TT is ineffective for increasing testosterone levels in humans, thus marketing claims are unsubstantiated. The nitric oxide release effect of TT may offer a plausible explanation for the observed physiological responses to TT supplementation, independent of the testosterone level.