PDA

View Full Version : Squatting while sore

vince
01-10-2014, 06:56 PM
Is swatting while sore bad? I have squats tomorrow but I'm still pretty sore from leg day 4 days ago(needless to say it was a good leg day). I've googled this but I can't find a good source to believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Cobalt
01-10-2014, 07:45 PM
Fuck soreness, go squat. It may hurt a little, but it builds character.

Jelisej
01-10-2014, 08:04 PM
Do something else instead, no need to risk an injury or prolong recovery. Even if you skip leg day once it want be major setback.
I do not beleive in "No pain no gain"- usually pain means something is not right, progressive loading is better method.
Even "aggression in the gym" is nonsense- you need to be calm and focuse, when you are "agressive" you just tax your CNS more.

hossam
01-11-2014, 03:01 AM
no problem , some pre workout and you are good to go
and do light weight as well

O_RYAN_007
01-11-2014, 07:21 AM
Stretch out really good before you do legs. For this next leg workout, you should do light weight higher reps stuff to get the blood flowing.

My body has never been able to pull off hitting legs twice in one week.

Rodja
01-12-2014, 10:23 PM
DOMS is no reason to not squat. Contrary to what Jellsej says, increased frequency is the best way to induce both progressive overload and to increase your work capacity. Will you break a PR? Probably not, but that's not the point.

Jelisej
01-13-2014, 05:27 PM
DOMS is no reason to not squat. Contrary to what Jellsej says, increased frequency is the best way to induce both progressive overload and to increase your work capacity. Will you break a PR? Probably not, but that's not the point.

He did not mention DOMS, he said "sore bad" which can mean more than DOMS, progressive overload is the best way to increase capacity in well trained individual and semi-pro and pro weightlifters, but is also good way to put extra amount of strain to CNS and cause problems for not-so-fit individuals and individuals with some underlying health problems, as we dont know that much about OP I think its better to be safe and to some other exercise, getting blood flow to area is good but he may get that without squats really.

Rodja
01-13-2014, 09:24 PM
He did not mention DOMS, he said "sore bad" which can mean more than DOMS, progressive overload is the best way to increase capacity in well trained individual and semi-pro and pro weightlifters, but is also good way to put extra amount of strain to CNS and cause problems for not-so-fit individuals and individuals with some underlying health problems, as we dont know that much about OP I think its better to be safe and to some other exercise, getting blood flow to area is good but he may get that without squats really.

I'm starting to think that you know very little about training. It was from a hard training session and not any form of injury. The other part you wrote about progressive overload is total crap. You can easily use it in deconditioned individuals just as you can apply it to those with high work capacities with appropriate adjustments. Humans are not that fragile and adapt quickly.

weekend
01-13-2014, 10:14 PM
Jeli, he said is squatting while sore bad? Implying he's not super sore, but rather that he's wondering if he is wasting his time squatting if he is still a bit sore.

Have to agree with rodja... Go squat!!

- - - Updated - - -

Also I am not a fan of stretching before working out.. Paradoxically my muscles seem to tighten up excessively later in the workout if I do static stretching before. Instead, when sore or tight, I warm up thoroughly on the exercise I am doing. Multiple sets with 95 lb on squat is not unheard of.

Cobalt
01-13-2014, 10:43 PM
Also I am not a fan of stretching before working out.. Paradoxically my muscles seem to tighten up excessively later in the workout if I do static stretching before. Instead, when sore or tight, I warm up thoroughly on the exercise I am doing. Multiple sets with 95 lb on squat is not unheard of.

Each to their own, but stretching is invaluable. If you find yourself tightening up, maybe you aren't doing the right stretches.
Or, in my case, my potassium levels would drop, causing tensing. I just pop some K pills pre-wo to fix that.

nate3993
01-14-2014, 01:52 AM
Ben pakulski and some other pros say stretching before is bad, but stretching after is correct