PDA

View Full Version : Eating too much beef heart?

BBG
03-29-2014, 07:16 PM
You guys think it's possible to eat too much beef heart? I've been eating .5 to .8 pounds of beef heart every day for a few days... and I think I'm going to continue. I've done this in the past. It's cheap, tasty and loaded with a ton of vitamins including CoQ10 and B12.

But... the iron content is really high. Half a pound is over 50% of the recommended daily intake of iron. I donate blood every few months, but that's the only precaution I take against high iron.

Think it's risky to do this?

I also eat liver once a week, or sometimes once every two weeks. That also has a good bit of iron. ON TOP OF all the other meat I eat.

Rodja
03-29-2014, 08:48 PM
Do you have a rough estimation of your total iron intake? RDIs should be taken with a bit of salt considering you likely have more blood volume (and a subsequent higher need for iron).

BBG
03-29-2014, 09:10 PM
Probably around 20-25mg per day. Some day it's more. For instance... I may eat .5 lbs of heart (10mg iron) and a pound of steak later (8-10mg depending on cut, it looks like).

Or I'll eat just under a pound of heart (nearly 20mg).

Other protein sources that I eat almost everyday: Eggs, Milk, Tuna (try to limit to 3 times a week, if that), Cheese, Greek Yogurt

I also cook with cast iron skillets which probably adds to my iron intake.

I don't eat fortified crap like cereal or whatever, so there's that.

burlyman30
03-29-2014, 11:05 PM
I wouldnt be overly concerned unless you have blood work that shows your RBC or HCT being above range. Ever had it checked?

I give blood every 2 months, just prior to my blood work, as my RBC level is naturally just above normal. Giving blood reduces my RBC level by about 10%, which puts me just at the high end of the normal range.

pettit184
09-12-2014, 05:38 AM
Excess of everything is bad. Eating too much beef can cause many problems for your health especially over weight (http://www.coloncleanse-australia.com/),blood pressure and obesity. So try to eat a balance food with full of vegetables and raw veggies.