PDA

View Full Version : Reverse band deadlifts

KGPL
04-08-2014, 04:00 PM
Tried them for the first time today, INCREDIBLE. Had it set up so it provided a slight "slingshot" at the bottom 1/3 of the movement, but no tension from the upper shins to lockout. That bit of assistance really allowed me to up the weight and explode up quickly and was a nice change from the ordinary.

I highly suggest you give them a try, a bit of an ego boost, but I can see them really helping your lockout in the long term.

O_RYAN_007
04-08-2014, 08:36 PM
Tried them for the first time today, INCREDIBLE. Had it set up so it provided a slight "slingshot" at the bottom 1/3 of the movement, but no tension from the upper shins to lockout. That bit of assistance really allowed me to up the weight and explode up quickly and was a nice change from the ordinary.

I highly suggest you give them a try, a bit of an ego boost, but I can see them really helping your lockout in the long term.

I like them myself, same for reverse band squats and bench. I hurt my pectinous muscle in the groin area, so hitting reverse band squats helps take off a lot of the load in the whole. This will help me slowly come back to squatting.

Rodja
04-09-2014, 05:10 AM
I'm not a fan of them. You'll get more carryover to the lockout from regular banded deadlifts than reverse band. Like you said, it's more of an ego booster than anything.

KGPL
04-09-2014, 03:40 PM
I'm not a fan of them. You'll get more carryover to the lockout from regular banded deadlifts than reverse band. Like you said, it's more of an ego booster than anything.

I'll throw them in for a bit. My off the floor pull is incredible, but I get a stalling point at lockout.

Here's an example of what I'm planning on doing. Always heavy for low reps.
1. Tuesday-Regular Deadlifts
1.. Friday- Rack pulls
2. Tuesday- Reverse band deadlifts
2. Friday- Reeves deadlifts
Repeat week 1, etc.

I'm hoping that with this, I can boost my deadlift up a bit by training the movement in a slightly different way, while still focusing on the actual lift itself every other week.

Sorrow
04-09-2014, 03:59 PM
Eh we use them to help feel a new target weight. Probably the best part of our setup is we have an adjustable chain so each week you get less assistance from the band leading up to a meet. Saves you from needing 5 or 6 different bands.

Over all not a bad exercise but like anything thats assisted I wouldn't rely on it. Let us know your progress man!

KGPL
04-09-2014, 04:09 PM
Eh we use them to help feel a new target weight. Probably the best part of our setup is we have an adjustable chain so each week you get less assistance from the band leading up to a meet. Saves you from needing 5 or 6 different bands.

Over all not a bad exercise but like anything thats assisted I wouldn't rely on it. Let us know your progress man!

Will do on the progress! My gym actually has an assortment of bands, I just bring two mini bands of my own when I want a different feel or I'm using some machines.

Sorrow
04-10-2014, 05:48 AM
If you get a chance take a video of your next regular deadlift attempt. Plenty of people around who might point some things out to help.

KGPL
04-10-2014, 07:01 PM
If you get a chance take a video of your next regular deadlift attempt. Plenty of people around who might point some things out to help.

Might have to do this. I'm pretty sure my form is spot on, messed up my back so many times in the past that I learned from experience and finally got it... Just wish I didn't turn into a bloodbath after every deadlift session. Hands, shins, and mouth. Always bite my tongue/cheeck, rip that bar up my shins, then rip the remaining skin off my hands... Hey, it's all worth it in the end though right? Nothing beats the feel of ripping a deadlift PR.