PDA

View Full Version : Diet on cycle?

KGPL
04-18-2014, 05:08 AM
Quick question.

With the goal of a recomp and mild strength gains on a 5-6 week epi andro cycle, what should my diet look like? Deficit, maintenance, or at a surplus? Really looking to just dry and lean out more.

longBallLima
04-18-2014, 01:42 PM
if you're looking to cut, i'd say you'd be on deficit, but how big are you? I've seen IIFYM work on small physique guys, but BBers can't realistically do that shit

KGPL
04-18-2014, 02:06 PM
if you're looking to cut, i'd say you'd be on deficit, but how big are you? I've seen IIFYM work on small physique guys, but BBers can't realistically do that shit

I'll probably eat at maintenance and split the difference with cardio then. I've been doing IIFYM, but it has been SLOW progress. Planned on switching over to regular meal timing anyways.

About 200lbs at ~8% or so.

Scope75
04-18-2014, 02:32 PM
I'd stick to maintenance or slightly more because your in a great spot to just add LBM and little to no fat.
Now with that said I think you could get away with a bunch of cals and end up packing on loads of mass with little to no fat. Even if you do add some fat you'll still be around the same bf% since you'll be adding mass at the same time.

longBallLima
04-18-2014, 03:32 PM
I'll probably eat at maintenance and split the difference with cardio then. I've been doing IIFYM, but it has been SLOW progress. Planned on switching over to regular meal timing anyways.

About 200lbs at ~8% or so.

you're a big boy. IIFYM is for skinny models lol

KGPL
04-18-2014, 05:50 PM
you're a big boy. IIFYM is for skinny models lol

I need to be more strict on my diet anyways. Peanut butter just always gets the best of me. A spoonful here and there. Since a week ago, I've gone through a whole container...

If I actually plan it out It will be better for me.

This is my first cycle. Is post workout nutrition that important? I normally just get some calories post workout from mainly protein, but should I be adding simple sugars on cycle to increase absorption or is this all just broscience? Never made a difference for me while being natty.

EDIT

Part of me thinks I should just take advantage of this while I can at my age. Instead of tracking macros, just hammer in the protein and eat throughout the day. Adjust intake accordingly to the scale and mirror.

Scope75
04-18-2014, 06:06 PM
With that last post I'd say ditch the cycle and get your diet dialed and see what you can do natty then run the cycle in a few months or next year.

KGPL
04-18-2014, 06:30 PM
With that last post I'd say ditch the cycle and get your diet dialed and see what you can do natty then run the cycle in a few months or next year.

Diet is in check, I've just never bothered with post workout insulin levels/simple sugars as it doesn't seem to effect anything. Might be different when I'm on a compound though.

My diet is IIFYM to a degree. Still hit my macros and eat clean obviously, but I just eat whatever is available at dinner time and pick my options to match my intake. That's the only meal that isn't really consistent.

I'll just split it up and eat throughout the day instead of 3-4 meals. I've been doing it like this to save the calories until dinner time, because I have a monstrous appetite that only gets bigger when I eat a lot in the morning.

Typical day looks like this.
Breakfast (shake)
Two scoops whey
8 oz almond milk
4 oz water
3 T peanut butter
Banana
1/2c oats

11:00
1C rice
Some type of meat, about 8 oz depending on what it is.

3:00-lift

Post workout:
6oz turkey

7:00 Dinner
Varies (Still adjust accordingly to hit my macros/caloric intake, but have different things each night. I get my calories in at this meal.)

Scope75
04-18-2014, 06:35 PM
When I read you did iifym and you needed to get more strict with your diet I figured you just ate whatever but your style iifym looks solid and not shitty like most people that do iifym.

KGPL
04-18-2014, 07:43 PM
When I read you did iifym and you needed to get more strict with your diet I figured you just ate whatever but your style iifym looks solid and not shitty like most people that do iifym.

Understandable. Most people just eat pop tarts and shakes all day... Mines clean, the only real IIFYM part of it is just mixing up my meals at dinner time or fitting things in like sauces, etc.

The more strict aspect is from my view point. Lets face it though, nothing is strict enough or good enough from our own view...

Grape Ape
04-18-2014, 10:26 PM
I eat pop tarts post workout.

Recently switched to organic pop tarts, so you know...organic and shit dawg.

longBallLima
04-18-2014, 10:35 PM
you got your diet down as far as cleanliness, but it looks like you don't eat a whole lot for how big you are, unless you're stuffing a lot down on your dinner.

but obviously it depends on the individual

and yes, add some high GI carbs PWO. I like protein right after and carbs about 20 mins after that

KGPL
04-19-2014, 04:38 AM
you got your diet down as far as cleanliness, but it looks like you don't eat a whole lot for how big you are, unless you're stuffing a lot down on your dinner.

but obviously it depends on the individual

and yes, add some high GI carbs PWO. I like protein right after and carbs about 20 mins after that

I get all the cals in at dinner time. If I eat more throughout the day, I end up overeating and going my calories by dinner.

I also have a ridiculously low maintenance and always have...

Eden
04-25-2014, 09:01 AM
I've noticed that the post workout sugars don't do a whole lot unless you're quite large you can tell when the muscle is empty or full so you can use sugar if you feel it's needed. I usually pass on it because I have enough glycogen and blood sugar hanging out.

As far as food I would up calories a little more your compounds should increase your metabolism and so you're certainly going to need more food because of that. For the cleanliness I worry about food quality not so much "oh don't eat fat or salt" bs. I use kerrygold butter or olive oil on lots of things probably 20-40g of fat just from butter a day and there isn't a huge different in body fat.

So eat more quality food and see what happens if you get watery or something just dump calories for a few days and elevate legs while sleeping you'll dump water.

KGPL
04-26-2014, 08:43 AM
I've noticed that the post workout sugars don't do a whole lot unless you're quite large you can tell when the muscle is empty or full so you can use sugar if you feel it's needed. I usually pass on it because I have enough glycogen and blood sugar hanging out.

As far as food I would up calories a little more your compounds should increase your metabolism and so you're certainly going to need more food because of that. For the cleanliness I worry about food quality not so much "oh don't eat fat or salt" bs. I use kerrygold butter or olive oil on lots of things probably 20-40g of fat just from butter a day and there isn't a huge different in body fat.

So eat more quality food and see what happens if you get watery or something just dump calories for a few days and elevate legs while sleeping you'll dump water.

I load up on peanut butter. I need a high fat content or I seem to get achy joints and no sex drive. Not sure if there's any correlation, but definitely not a good combo at 18...

markam
04-26-2014, 09:59 AM
I load up on peanut butter. I need a high fat content or I seem to get achy joints and no sex drive. Not sure if there's any correlation, but definitely not a good combo at 18...

I use Almond butter.

Lectins in Peanuts Clog Arteries (http://www.swolesource.com/forum/diet-nutrition/252-lectins-peanuts-clog-arteries.html)

KGPL
04-26-2014, 10:34 AM
I use Almond butter.

Lectins in Peanuts Clog Arteries (http://www.swolesource.com/forum/diet-nutrition/252-lectins-peanuts-clog-arteries.html)

Shit. I'm as good as dead now as I've eaten wayyyy too much.

I'll pick up some almond butter. Never tried it really.

KGPL
04-27-2014, 06:57 PM
Bought almond butter. Little bit more bitter tasting, but should go pretty good in shakes to take the edge off the overly sweet taste.