PDA

View Full Version : L-Carnitine for obese dogs

VayneZ
05-09-2014, 07:36 PM
Not so sure how normal this is, but my parents (as I myself am) are dog LOVERS and they have this really obese chihuahua. They tried putting him on special diets and it didn't work. And this dog is hyper and runs around all the time, still he's fat, and man he can snore when he sleeps!

So after they finally decided to get him completely checked up, his bloods came perfect. The vet did advise them to try supplementing L-Carnitine. So my parent's asked me about it since they know I'm into nutrition and supps. And they bought the musclepharm liquid one.

This chihuahua weighs I think 5 kg. How much should he consume? And how many times a day? (Is this even normal?, lol)

ryhigh
05-09-2014, 07:45 PM
Not sure on dose for your Chihuahua, but LCLT and Acetyl LC use to be staples for me and would dose 2-3 times a day, I loved those two. Interesting it can have the same effects from humans to dogs. I think I was doing 3-4gs of ALC and 4-5gs of LCLT a day, I weigh 225lbs not sure what that is in KGs unfortunately

ryhigh
05-09-2014, 08:17 PM
Cant seem to find specific doses just info... TotalHealth Magazine - Healthy Pets Thrive on Nutritional Supplementation (http://www.totalhealthmagazine.com/features/pet-health/healthy-pets-thrive-on-nutritional-supplementation.html)

Carnitine | VCA Animal Hospitals (http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/carnitine/246)

ryhigh
05-09-2014, 08:20 PM
This might help recent study showed that a diet high in antioxidants and l-carnitine helped "up-regulate" fat-burning genes. See New Research into Nutrigenomics and Managing weight loss in dogs and cats (Proceedings): "Dietary supplementation of L-carnitine improves nitrogen retention, increasing lean mass and reducing fat mass. Incorporation of L-carnitine at a level of 50–300 ppm [50-300 milligrams l-carnitine per kilogram (2.2 lbs) of food on a dry matter basis] in weight reduction diets has been shown to reduce lean tissue loss during weight loss." Meat, particularly beef, is a good source of l-carnitine. More info on l-carnitine and l-arginine for weight loss: Fat Loss Supplements for Pets

from DogAware.com Articles: Weight Loss Diets for Dogs (http://dogaware.com/articles/wdjweightloss.html)

VayneZ
05-09-2014, 08:21 PM
Man I wish I could dose 3-4 grams of ALC a day! Supps are WAY too expensive over here.
The Chi's a tiny lil thing. About 10 pounds. Just a fat Chi! lol But he's an awesome fella. Really emotional.
I was thinking since he's so small maybe less than 2.5ml 3x a day, but honestly I have no idea if that would be too much or not

ryhigh
05-09-2014, 08:24 PM
The Complete Book of Home Remedies for Your Dog - Deborah Mitchell - Google Books (http://books.google.com/books?id=xRZcu9umhUkC&lpg=PA186&ots=oWxmCX6h75&dq=l-carnitine%20dose%20for%20dogs%20and%20weight%20los s&pg=PA186#v=onepage&q=l-carnitine%20dose%20for%20dogs%20and%20weight%20los s&f=false)

VayneZ
05-09-2014, 08:26 PM
This might help recent study showed that a diet high in antioxidants and l-carnitine helped "up-regulate" fat-burning genes. See New Research into Nutrigenomics and Managing weight loss in dogs and cats (Proceedings): "Dietary supplementation of L-carnitine improves nitrogen retention, increasing lean mass and reducing fat mass. Incorporation of L-carnitine at a level of 50–300 ppm [50-300 milligrams l-carnitine per kilogram (2.2 lbs) of food on a dry matter basis] in weight reduction diets has been shown to reduce lean tissue loss during weight loss." Meat, particularly beef, is a good source of l-carnitine. More info on l-carnitine and l-arginine for weight loss: Fat Loss Supplements for Pets

from DogAware.com Articles: Weight Loss Diets for Dogs (http://dogaware.com/articles/wdjweightloss.html)

Wow nice find! I will send this link to my dad! And I'll be reading this as well. Good stuff. I have a jack russell / Beagle breed that has one fine toned body and has energy to kill! Used to jog with him a lot back in the days, but with these worn out ''powerlifter knees and lower back joints and bones''... Can't anymore :(

Might buy him some L-Carnitine at least!

ryhigh
05-09-2014, 08:27 PM
The general consensus ive found is 50-300mg per Kilo for dogs.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow nice find! I will send this link to my dad! And I'll be reading this as well. Good stuff. I have a jack russell / Beagle breed that has one fine toned body and has energy to kill! Used to jog with him a lot back in the days, but with these warn out ''powerlifter knees and lower back joints and bones''... Can't anymore :(

Might buy him some L-Carnitine at least!

I never knew this about supplement L-carnitine for dogs. I have two labs, a yellow and black, my yellow lab is a big girl im gonna probably get her on this too

ryhigh
05-09-2014, 08:28 PM
Is customs strict on everything? Even aminos like LC?

VayneZ
05-09-2014, 08:48 PM
Yeah man, unless you have a business or something, even then they kill with import costs, hence why every nutrition shop here sells thing 3 times the price of what you pay in the States. I have a friend that has a different kind of business and ''knows'' people, so he sometimes orders proteins and stuff in bulk for me on request, but even charging me NOTHING, I end up paying at least 200+ dollars on import costs.

And nice that you're getting some Lcar for your lab!!! You should take a before and after pic!

...If only Burly would make a competition of aesthetic transformation for dogs!!! Now THAT would be epic. And I'm sure more members would vote since it would not be as boring as ''humans'' competing (that is soooooo totally yesterday girl :rolleyes: )

ryhigh
05-09-2014, 08:56 PM
Yeah man, unless you have a business or something, even then they kill with import costs, hence why every nutrition shop here sells thing 3 times the price of what you pay in the States. I have a friend that has a different kind of business and ''knows'' people, so he sometimes orders proteins and stuff in bulk for me on request, but even charging me NOTHING, I end up paying at least 200+ dollars on import costs.

And nice that you're getting some Lcar for your lab!!! You should take a before and after pic!

...If only Burly would make a competition of aesthetic transformation for dogs!!! Now THAT would be epic. And I'm sure more members would vote since it would not be as boring as ''humans'' competing (that is soooooo totally yesterday girl :rolleyes: )

Damn that's messed up! I was going to give you the website I ordered all my powders from... Do you have to get a business license there to qualify for cheaper importing fees? Ill prison rig it and send you a L-Car soaked postcard haha

Lol that would be pretty legit, I think we should push for a dog comp for sure

VayneZ
05-09-2014, 09:10 PM
Haha not sure on that soaked postcard, I think I can survive with my fitness lifestyle as long as I keep my life pretty much simple :D

And yeah! Where ya at Burly? I know we have many members that are dog lovers here.
This would give me a reason to start training my dog! I train about 5-7 people regularly at the gym now... and I DON'T EVEN TRAIN MY DOG!!! (shame) :(

ryhigh
05-09-2014, 09:14 PM
Lol, my step dad baby's my dogs. They don't live with me in Vegas, they live at his house about a hour away. But id be down, she enjoys exercise she use to be in really good shape when I would go duck hunting