PDA

View Full Version : 3 Day fast = Immune reboot?

Lugnuts
06-08-2014, 06:22 PM
Came across this today

http://www.cell.com/cell-stem-cell/abstract/S1934-5909(14)00151-9

Seems to be a study based on immune health to reduce the immune suppressing effects when on Chemo.

Back in my so called 'prime' at 175lbs I was force feeding and looked like a short pissed off gorilla but I felt like death, went through a stage of getting sick over and over and ended up dropping back to 155lbs where I feel better, but I would rather have the size. I wonder if there could be a happy medium.. like maybe fast for 2-3 days every two weeks or so.

Anyone else had problems feeling like garbage when force feeding?

Jelisej
06-09-2014, 05:46 PM
There are lot of evidences, and lot of research on animals which shows that short term fasting increases longevity and some other health benefits- but crucial word here i short term- longer periods of fasting can have very negative effects as body will try slow down metabolism and sometimes if fasting was too long sometimes metabolism can stay slow, which has lot of implications.
So, it seems that 2 day fasting per week can be beneficial (periodically it can be more that 2 day fasting) , there are few versions of intermittent fasting that seems that are working fine.

Force feeding? As a child, on top of having very small frame I was very skinny- I had no Sq body fat- nothing, so basically I looked like upholstered skeleton- and everyone had target to make me gain some weight- I used to get big portions of meal that I would struggle to eat, with no effect whatsoever apart of suffering- in the end they all gave up, and I was happy skeleton till early 20-ies when metabolism started slowing- anyway I can confirm that "force feeding" did not make me feel right, I felt better as ridiculously skinny- I was more lively to put it, the only issues was that I was weak, with gaining some weight that improved a bit.
From my experience- I would say if you are in little bit calorie surplus even if you eat junk you will not get fat, so its always target to have some plus if gaining and have a few days minus calorie if losing weight (IMO)- and in my experience easiest way to do so is by increasing and decreasing carbs.