PDA

View Full Version : Insane forearm cramps?

KGPL
06-14-2014, 12:05 PM
Anyone else ever had this problem after a heavy back day or any bicep movements? I literally can't bend my arms or I end up extremely painful cramps.

I've tried upping my water intake, bananas, vitamins, more sodium, etc. Nothing seems to help. I always do warmup sets as well. Happens about 1-2 hours post workout and lasts the rest of the day.

Jelisej
06-14-2014, 12:20 PM
Well, little bit of cramps is normal, I beleive. You can try combination of taurine and magnesium- which is also good for heart.

KGPL
06-14-2014, 01:13 PM
^ These aren't just a little though. For the past month or so I've had this problem, but it gets progressively worse after each time it happens. I'll pick up some taurine.

Cdsnuts
06-14-2014, 01:34 PM
Get something called Natural Calm. It's a powdered magnesium supplement that works fantastic for this type of thing. I take a dose everynight before bed.

Jelisej
06-14-2014, 02:22 PM
^ These aren't just a little though. For the past month or so I've had this problem, but it gets progressively worse after each time it happens. I'll pick up some taurine.

And magnesium...
Also it sounds like you could benefit from temporary changing routine- avoiding exercises that put too much strain on affected area.
In reality (over)training that area does not bring benefits, even research confirms that after muscle is overtrained/sore- its next to impossible to reach level to induce muscle breakdown- meaning there will not be further muscle growth.

Stress is one of the biggest problems, and by stress I mean not just mental one which is seriously damaging, but also stress to our body including muscles- sometimes just taking day or week off is best solution- and eventually pays off.

Rodja
06-14-2014, 02:23 PM
Flexors or extensors?

Hank!
06-14-2014, 02:43 PM
I get terrible forearm pain if i am not careful. Now adaysi use forearm wraps , i got a paiir if these on Ebay Elite FTS (http://www.flexcart.com/memberS/elitefts/default.asp?cid=300&m=PD&pid=2156). They help a bunch
Also I have discovered if I avoid heavy straight bar curls then I dont have nearly as many issues.

After workouts I hit my forearms with the massage stick,while at my desk and occasionally I will inject GHRP/GHRF for a few days to help recovery.

KGPL
06-14-2014, 04:14 PM
Just looked into it more specifically, it's the brachioradialis. Is there any correlation between it being overdeveloped causing these issues? It's literally thicker than my upper arm :(

I'll look into the wraps, I already use wraps for almost everything. Thought about using GHRP/GHRF, but I'm too young to start with that stuff.

Rodja
06-14-2014, 06:01 PM
Most likely this is going to be an adhesion near the origin of the muscle. Find the spot with the elbow flexed and then extend the elbow while sliding your thumb towards the origin of the muscle. It may take a few of these, but it'll help to release the muscle.

KGPL
06-15-2014, 09:34 AM
Most likely this is going to be an adhesion near the origin of the muscle. Find the spot with the elbow flexed and then extend the elbow while sliding your thumb towards the origin of the muscle. It may take a few of these, but it'll help to release the muscle.

I found what appears to be an adhesion last night. However, it's on the opposite portion of the forearm. When I contract my bicep and look in the mirror, I can actually see a knot protruding through the skin.

Rodja
06-15-2014, 07:32 PM
I found what appears to be an adhesion last night. However, it's on the opposite portion of the forearm. When I contract my bicep and look in the mirror, I can actually see a knot protruding through the skin.

Within the wrist flexors?

KGPL
06-16-2014, 08:31 AM
Within the wrist flexors?

I believe so. No problems today, it's just after heavy pull days then is fine the next day.

Rodja
06-17-2014, 09:17 AM
I believe so. No problems today, it's just after heavy pull days then is fine the next day.

I had an almost identical problem problem with the extensors for years and the thing that got rid of it was some self-ART to the brachioradialis.

KGPL
06-17-2014, 01:43 PM
I had an almost identical problem problem with the extensors for years and the thing that got rid of it was some self-ART to the brachioradialis.

No clue what this means? It's happening again right now though after another back session.

Rodja
06-17-2014, 06:05 PM
No clue what this means? It's happening again right now though after another back session.

ART is active release therapy. It's where you find an adhesion, lengthen the muscle, and move towards the origin of the muscle.

KGPL
06-23-2014, 12:02 PM
forearms haven't had an issue since, but that will probably change tomorrow. My left tricep is doing it now though. It's literally twitching at full extension, then locking up.

Rodja
06-23-2014, 02:59 PM
You should get a good deep tissue massage. It sounds like you've got a lot of junk in the fascia everywhere.

KGPL
06-23-2014, 03:02 PM
You should get a good deep tissue massage. It sounds like you've got a lot of junk in the fascia everywhere.

Would a foam roller/lacrosse ball give a similar effect?

Rodja
06-23-2014, 03:07 PM
Would a foam roller/lacrosse ball give a similar effect?

It can, but it can be difficult to put enough pressure on specific spots, especially in areas where you have to do it by hand.

KGPL
07-22-2014, 03:21 PM
These are back again, went away for a while. 100x worse this time they just lock up and i cant do anything.

Jelisej
07-22-2014, 03:51 PM
Take time off, add magnesium and taurine, and if its really bad than consider GHRP/CJC combination, and also short term option is quinine soft drink (tonic, schweeps) but quinine should not be used for long time as it has some possible sides.

KGPL
07-22-2014, 04:07 PM
Take time off, add magnesium and taurine, and if its really bad than consider GHRP/CJC combination, and also short term option is quinine soft drink (tonic, schweeps) but quinine should not be used for long time as it has some possible sides.

I already took time off :(

This is the first time that the issue came in a while though, maybe I just overdid it.