PDA

View Full Version : Diet Philosophy

h2s
11-18-2012, 02:21 PM
What is yours?

I am curious what diets work for you and when. You a keto guy, Paleo guy, etc?

Personally Carb balance has always dictated my results.

When I want to cut a bit, I lower carbs and slightly increase fats.

When I want to gain more, I add in more carbs and cut back on the fats.

I have done keto before, I am a fan, although I am not sure how long term I could do it. I have done UD2.0 and consider it one of the better recomp minded nutrition plans.

I know lately there are some carb back loading guys. Matt Porter isn't the biggest fan, but some are, so speak up.

Mr_math
11-18-2012, 03:19 PM
I'm realizing I do better on lower carbs than tons of carbs. I'd rather have my majority of them after a workout but nothing in crazy large numbers. I honeslty don't need that many, plus I can't get by with little to No cardio on a lot of carbs. Sadly enough it's not in my blood.
Hah. :(

I'm sure if I was leaner it may be different for my body. But I'm good without a surplus for another week... Fucking holidays.

AresTS
11-18-2012, 04:00 PM
What is yours?

I am curious what diets work for you and when. You a keto guy, Paleo guy, etc?

Personally Carb balance has always dictated my results.

When I want to cut a bit, I lower carbs and slightly increase fats.

When I want to gain more, I add in more carbs and cut back on the fats.

I have done keto before, I am a fan, although I am not sure how long term I could do it. I have done UD2.0 and consider it one of the better recomp minded nutrition plans.

I know lately there are some carb back loading guys. Matt Porter isn't the biggest fan, but some are, so speak up.

Low carb most definitely slices me up however, when I do anything it's to the extreme and I take in probably less than 60g a day with no refeeds. That way I harden up real quick. I have recently noticed though that low carb puts me in a depressed mood.

I have found a way to combat that with some 5-htp.

- Valdez

nate3993
11-18-2012, 04:25 PM
i do good on high carb. i have to use pretty high carbs though. like 3-400, but when i do, i gain muscle, and strength. i don't do good on low carb.

naeydrin
11-18-2012, 04:52 PM
I have never until this year really had to change my diet to a extreme to get results , if I wanted to gain I just up calories to 4kish and lift heavy, if I wanted to cut I would just drop over all calories to about 3k and add more volume and cardio. This year I was noticing age was sneaking up on me and I had to to try something different. I went Primal/paleo for the summer and dropped to my lowest weight in 4 years (195 lbs). I have noticed this winter I have had to incorporate low carb days on off days otherwise I see more fat gain during my winter bulk. Over all during the summer I enjoyed the the paleo diet as I got use to it and had a ton of energy and weighed less so a lot easier then dragging my 225lb ass around like I did last winter:)

Eden
11-18-2012, 05:17 PM
I still do 40% fat 30% carb 30% protein. I make sure all my food is from real sources and I avoid sugar and processed foods.

Rodja
11-18-2012, 06:35 PM
I have a very simple philosophy: eat when you're hungry and make your meals. Each meal should have at least 1 serving of fruits/veggies with most of the calories coming from fats and protein.

Jack O'Neill
11-28-2012, 05:24 AM
Carb Backloading for me.

50% prot/fat (in quantity) on non workout days
50% prot/fat until the end of the workout (6PM) and +/- 20/80% prot/carbs after

Fasted until 12PM

Backloading protocol followed to 100% :)

Matt Porter
02-03-2013, 04:59 AM
My diet philosophy is dependent on the unique individuals genetics (from what I can gather) from interviewing them and working with them for weeks-->months...

everything just about works -- but I am an 'optimal' kinda guy and do not like to pussyfoot around...

-Matt

Hydin
03-10-2013, 10:50 PM
I like Paleo Diet, there are so many reasons behind it. The main reason is that Paleo Diet is meant to help you lose weight with the simple concept of foods being either "in" or "out." The Paleo Diet advocates eating whole foods and is naturally high in fiber. It works best for me.

Lakewood fitness (http://befittacomabootcamp.com/lakewood-fitness-tips-for-getting-a-toned-body/)

Matt Porter
03-11-2013, 02:07 AM
I do think naturally thinner, higher string people do rather well with processing carbs, therefore higher carbs and lower fats work well for "cutting."

-Matt

Fat Bill Dwyer
03-11-2013, 07:51 AM
I try to avoid certain carbs altogether. Flour, even whole grain, and sugar don't do me any favors physique-wise. Both are very efficient "plumpers" in my case.

I sort of fell into a paleoish diet where I avoid the grains/potatoes and eat whatever fresh fruit/nuts/veggies I want. I do however eat oats. My body does a good job of putting the mass where it needs to go when I increase carbs by eating more oats. They're sort of my carb-regulator. I eat more of the stuff when I want to get bigger, and less when I want to get smaller. Also oats are delicious!

Jelisej
03-11-2013, 09:15 AM
https://www.23andme.com/health/response-to-diet/

AestheticOne
03-11-2013, 09:54 AM
https://www.23andme.com/health/response-to-diet/

Interesting...I've always wondered how much we're genetically predisposed to processing certain foods better then others.

Personally for myself being a 6'1 ectomorph, i can get shredded eating bodyweight in carbs or even a little more if a want, keep the fats low and protein high and i'm pretty much good to go, I'm pretty blessed when it comes to genetics to keep me lean lol so diet has never been much of an issue for me

in conclusion, keto isn't for me. lol

pman42
03-12-2013, 03:21 PM
my personal philosophy is: eat real food. so in general when I can I try to go with whole foods rather than processed stuff (although I do make use of processed foods like whey protein). everything becomes simple when you do this: a steak is better than a hotdog, oats are better than a muffin, etc. a line of thought new to me was presented in AnneMarie Colbin's Book 'Food and Healing' which was that eating meat without the bones is an incomplete food (terrible book btw). i may start incorporating some bone broth as the people i get grassfed beef from will just give me free bones.

2nd step for me is adjust carbs to activity level. sitting around doin nothing, i do low-carb. workout days, i do higher carb. lookin forward to summer again, hittin the river and ocean and goin for long hikes with the dog with plenty of coconut bars and halva (probably the best-tasting carb source on earth, like manna from heaven)

burlyman30
03-13-2013, 04:05 PM
Interesting...I've always wondered how much we're genetically predisposed to processing certain foods better then others.

Personally for myself being a 6'1 ectomorph, i can get shredded eating bodyweight in carbs or even a little more if a want, keep the fats low and protein high and i'm pretty much good to go, I'm pretty blessed when it comes to genetics to keep me lean lol so diet has never been much of an issue for me

in conclusion, keto isn't for me. lol

You are young though. Time changes things in the body. I used to eat like that and stay pretty lean. Today, it's the worst choice for me. 20 years ago I wouldn't have believed it, but sadly my body doesn't burn/ transport carbs the way it used to.

weekend
03-13-2013, 05:27 PM
for me, the only way to get really cut is to intermittent fast.

currently doing so, gonna do back and then swim, followed by my first meal of the day which should look like this:571

then ill be on cans of tuna and some steamed broccoli fo the day... totalling around 1700 calories. and i barely lose weight when i eat 1700 even at 190 now, it seems my body really just likes to stay where it's at...

Fat Bill Dwyer
03-14-2013, 02:37 AM
for me, the only way to get really cut is to intermittent fast.

currently doing so, gonna do back and then swim, followed by my first meal of the day which should look like this:571

then ill be on cans of tuna and some steamed broccoli fo the day... totalling around 1700 calories. and i barely lose weight when i eat 1700 even at 190 now, it seems my body really just likes to stay where it's at...

Have you tried running a cyclic keto diet? Works wonders for me.