PDA

View Full Version : Muscle Knots / Adhesions

Haritec
07-23-2014, 07:34 AM
Over the course of 55 years I probably have pulled muscles a lot of times and have a lot of "old" injuries.

I recently changed my workout routine from a stronglifts 5x5 kind of routine to one that included a lot more volume and a lot of pulling exercises ( deads, inverted rows, pullups, chin-ups, barbell rows, dumbbell rows, shrugs, powercleans). ( this was balanced by a big push day as well) I noticed my rear delts, rhomboids and mid traps really were sore afterwards but thought it was a good sign of hitting those muscle groups hard.

About two weeks ago my entire left upper back froze up - it looked like I was in the middle of a wide grip pullup in that everything there was clenched and would not let go. With two weeks of massage and physio it has loosened up a bit but both my physio and massage therapist say my back is a mess - I have muscle knots and adhesions everywhere ( worse on the upper left side) that they are trying to work out. I still have huge knots in my back and some nerve impingement down the left arm. My massage therapist says a lot of this has been there a long time as fresh adhesions let go quickly but these are not fresh. She thinks I just irritated old stuff

Any thoughts or advice other than just continue with massage, physio and stretching exercises ? Physio does not want me doing any weight training that will stress muscles in upper back at the moment. I orders some Achilles thinking it may help with muscle insertions as I seem to have inflammation there and thought muscles locking up might be an attempt to minimize movement of inflamed ligaments and tendons.

Jelisej
07-23-2014, 05:37 PM
From what I remeber, there are few common reasons for knots/adhesions- too much strain (including poor posture or being in same position for too long), poorblodflow/low oxygen, dehydration and low potassium levels- I think that thats one of reasons why tenis players eat bananas during match- to add potassium to prevent cramps and adhesions.
So basically prevention is best measure- if someone is getting lot of adhesion than he should address underlying issue.

Something that is not directly connected to topic, but you may find some interesting stuff: Track Your Plaque Heart Disease Prevention and Reversal Online
(http://www.trackyourplaque.com/)

KGPL
07-24-2014, 05:04 AM
I can literally see knots/adhesions through my skin on my forearms :( I too am curious about this.

Haritec
07-24-2014, 10:03 AM
I can literally see knots/adhesions through my skin on my forearms :( I too am curious about this.

I can feel them as I press along the length of certain muscles. One of the most noticeable is in my left triceps. When not flexed- most of the muscles are relatively soft and move under a bit of pressure - one section is hard as a rock as if I was flexing and tender and sore. Similar spots thru lat, mid traps and rhomboids. Active Release and Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation seem to be the main options - and foam rolling - tennis ball rolling and other myofascial self release at home.

AttackonHill
07-26-2014, 06:39 PM
ART really helps - if you go to the ART website you can look up a practitioner in your area. Lots of chiropractors nowadays learn ART for soft tissue work.

tallstraw
07-26-2014, 10:51 PM
I need to look at this foam roller shit and etc. Home remedies for tight muscle groups and etc. Is there a good website? I need to restore function to certain spots

Bucks
07-27-2014, 07:49 AM
Rumble Roller!!!!

For knots and back issues it's a great tool. They are expensive but if you get massages or goto the chiropractor often the payback is in about 2 months on the roller.

I fly a lot and my back will get knotted up setting in those small ass seats especially if I have some one my size sitting next to me because I set there with my shoulders twisted a lot.

I have the wide one since I'm a bigger guy and the medium hardness. Gotta love it for daily rolling.

Haritec
07-27-2014, 10:30 AM
Found a good link for foam rolling etc- looking at getting a Rumble Roller.

http://www.robertsontrainingsystems.com/downloads/SMR-manual.pdf

Eden
08-22-2014, 09:30 AM
I second what bucks said. Foam roll the mother fuck out of it. My legs HURT to foam roll but it adds definition and makes them feel so much better.