PDA

View Full Version : How did you get into the bodybuilding lifestyle?

entropy
11-02-2014, 07:14 PM
The title says it all really. I think a lot of you guys know my story already. I took finasteride and it didn't agree with me. At all. Instead of sit on my behind and whine about my situation I found a guy who'd recovered from this crap, followed him here and then discovered this world and you know what? I love it.

As most of you already know, you guys aren't your standard meathead juicers that a lot of bodybuilders are stereotyped to be.

You're all intelligent, stand up fellas. So what got you into this world?

Edit - apologies if there's already a similar thread, I looked, couldn't find anything with the search terms I tried.

ctAL
11-04-2014, 08:49 PM
i was chubby in HS, bothered me....didnt swim in gym class............junior into senior year started out an the rest is history

Hank!
11-05-2014, 02:54 PM
I am not a body builder but I do lift and train frequently. About 7yrs ( aged 43) ago I hit a full blown 320lbs with a nice b cup rack., 44w pants and a 18 inch neck. After playing in the yard with my kids I was winded way worse than I should have been. At that point i decided it was time to make a change . I started on an elliptical 15-20 mins day worked my way up lost like 30 lbs and looked like a a guy that lost 30lb..loose an doughy. Started lifting with a good group of bros, made strides lost roughly another 20lbs even though i had no plan. I then bought the Blueprint for Musclebuilding from Rob Reglish. I worked the plan and it worked for me, it is comprehensive with workout guide/plans diet guidelines etc. It was also the first time I started to understand the physiology of body building, and how supplements do what they do. Even if you think Rob is nutz and the ebook is garbage it worked for me because at the very least it was the 1st time I had an actual plan and a "coach " who i could talk to any time. I learned the importance of rest, recovery. I listen to my body and take a day off when ever i want. Now the point is all about challenging my self, today at age 50 and 240 lbs with a 36w I am moving in the right direction. I am stronger than I have ever been. Goals now are to Squat 400 by Jan 1 ( rpped 365 with 2sec puase for 3 yesterday ) and to pull 450 ( stuck at 435). I eat pretty clean I try and minimize shitty carbs, I dont watch what I eat on Sundays and I will drink an occasional craft brew. Over all I am in this lifestyle because it makes me happy.

Cdsnuts
11-05-2014, 04:37 PM
I'm not a body builder either. I lift for strength. I lift because I like the way it makes my clothes fit. I lift because it brings me into the moment. I lift because I don't want to end up being one of those older people who fall and can't lift themselves off the ground. I ultimately lift for health.

When you look good, you feel good.

entropy
11-05-2014, 05:07 PM
I'm not a body builder either. I lift for strength. I lift because I like the way it makes my clothes fit. I lift because it brings me into the moment. I lift because I don't want to end up being one of those older people who fall and can't lift themselves off the ground. I ultimately lift for health.

When you look good, you feel good.

I say bodybuilding in the most literal sense. I like the way you think man.

WesleyInman
11-06-2014, 01:36 PM
Always being in sports and having a desire to have muscles since I was a kid. Probably seeing it on TV and GI joes and He-man and looking up to pro athletes with muscles like Hulk Hogan.

Did I just age myself ;)

entropy
11-06-2014, 01:48 PM
Always being in sports and having a desire to have muscles since I was a kid. Probably seeing it on TV and GI joes and He-man and looking up to pro athletes with muscles like Hulk Hogan.

Did I just age myself ;)

I'm only 25 and remember watching He-Man... Think you just aged me too!

Way to achieve your goals man, killer physique!

WesleyInman
11-06-2014, 01:50 PM

Cdsnuts
11-06-2014, 02:26 PM

Reminds me of playing with my Kastle Grey Skull....

entropy
11-06-2014, 02:29 PM
Reminds me of playing with my Kastle Grey Skull....

That + Tracy Island = Two of the coolest kids toys I never owned.

derekh83
11-07-2014, 09:55 AM
I was a tall, long limbed, skinny arm kid in high school 6ft 1in and 155lbs. I always wanted to be big. Got my first little home gym weight set at 14 and wore it out. I've been hooked ever since. Didn't start understanding weight training until I joined the military after high school. I love the challenge, love the way I feel, and love the people I have meet through this lifestyle.

lt1head
11-08-2014, 06:26 PM
Got mono one spring, saw a picture of myself at 130lbs at the beach. fuck that.

Hank!
11-10-2014, 09:15 AM
That + Tracy Island = Two of the coolest kids toys I never owned.

Of Thunderbirds fame? Wow !

I loved that show. Always loved Thunderbird 2 for some reason

entropy
11-10-2014, 08:29 PM
Of Thunderbirds fame? Wow !

I loved that show. Always loved Thunderbird 2 for some reason
Thunderbird 2 was by far the coolest one of them all. FAB.

I'm such a geek.

Hank!
11-11-2014, 09:40 AM
Thanks to you I now have to watch on Hulu Thunderbirds/UFO and Space 1999
Geeks Rule