PDA

View Full Version : Multivitamins

sup3r_man
11-27-2014, 07:24 PM
Do you guys think multis are necessary? If so, what would you recommend? I'm currently taking a mens 1 a day. Not a huge fan but it's something. I've read great reviews on Orange Triad but seems a little pricey. Thanks for any input. And also, Happy Thanksgiving!

BBG
11-27-2014, 07:41 PM
I don't think they're necessary... just eat a variety of foods. Certain vitamins are decent to supplement with, especially Vitamin D. But otherwise I don't think you need the multi.

Strong_Guy
11-27-2014, 08:04 PM
I actually thought about starting a thread about this same topic a while back. I've taken Opti-Men for long time and feel its a solid option. As to whether or not a multi is necessary, I think that's largely dependant on diet. In my college days I think it was important for me because my diet was crap, nowadays I may not need it so much but its habit, and I think there's still some benefit.

sup3r_man
11-27-2014, 08:07 PM
Ya i was mostly thinking of using it more as a dietary thing. Being in the Army and having to eat at the defac, I just feel like it may not all be there.

moleculargainz
11-27-2014, 08:33 PM
I'm definitely a fan of taking multivitamins, but only in conjunction with a diet that already involves lots of fruits and veggies. Unless you're eating a huge variety of fruits and vegetables, you're most likely going to be deficient in some micronutrients. I don't think taking a multi is imperative, but I think its great to take one regularly as a "Just in case" type of thing. And everyone has those days where they can't get enough micronutrients in so it definitely comes in handy. It can't hurt to top off you're diet with one.

By far my favorite is Orange Triad +greens. It's definitely on the higher end price range but considering the ingredient profile wraps around over 50% of the label, you definitely won't be missing out on anything. It has everything you could want and more as far a a multivitamin.

SoCal-Nutrition
12-01-2014, 11:37 AM
I'm definately with Nathan on this...The Orange Triad Plus Greens from Controlled Labs (http://socal-nutrition.com/orange-triad-greens-30-servings?manufacturer_id=35) is my favorite Multi:
features:

Powder form for increased bioavailability
Complete multi
Greens
Joint Complex
digestive enzymes
probiotics

entropy
12-21-2014, 10:44 PM
I'm definately with Nathan on this...The Orange Triad Plus Greens from Controlled Labs (http://socal-nutrition.com/orange-triad-greens-30-servings?manufacturer_id=35) is my favorite Multi:
features:

Powder form for increased bioavailability
Complete multi
Greens
Joint Complex
digestive enzymes
probiotics

I've gotta second this, I've been using orange triad for about a month now. My joints have always cracked during certain movements, nothing painful or anything but a definite audible crunch. I've noticed since using OT it's actually subsided quite a bit.

Only downside, it makes me thirsty as hell, I've definitely had to increase my fluid intake which I assumed was already pretty good.

English
02-13-2015, 09:25 AM
You guys may have noticed after taking multis that your piss is either a different colour, foamy, or both, this is because you excrete the vast majority of multi vits straight back out and i read a while back tests showing this to be the case. I still take one a day though, because i am thinking that your body probably takes the parts it needs (which for anyone with a good diet is always going to be hardly any) and gets rid of the rest.
Just to add to the confusion. Studies hit the headlines a couple of years back that showed people who take supplements and vitamins die much younger! I'm gunna say though that this is because sick people are more likely to take them in the first place.

Pageidol
02-25-2015, 11:31 AM
Its actually vitamin B2 (riboflavin) that causes the glowing piss haha. Be careful though riboflavin acts 5 alpha reductase blocking DHT.

pman42
03-13-2015, 11:08 AM
I think of multis as an insurance policy. even though you have insurance on your home doesn't mean you smoke in bed or cook on open flames inside. similarly, a multi doesn't give you permission to eat a shitty diet. It's always a good idea to eat lots of brightly-colored foods, especially greens and berries. I usually eat a "dinosaur salad" for dinner that is a huge bowl of kale, arugula, mixed baby greens, topped with olives and peppers. right now i'm eating local-grown garlic and eggs. but even that is not ideal. where I live, soil is so deficient in selenium that animals must be given a supplement if they eat only locally-grown hay. so if i were to eat a 100% local diet ("ideal" in some respects) I might end up deficient. of course I do eat fruit and veggies from various places around the world so that is not a reality, but even then, declining levels in soil (google 'topsoil erosion') as well as nutrient losses during transport mean that my food probably has fewer nutrients than my grandparents' did. so taking a well-designed multi becomes a good option.

Most multis are a piss-poor amalgamation of bad forms of nutrients, unbalanced dosages, poor bioavailability, and unnecessary fillers (for example I'll never understand why most BBing brands add colorings to tablets and capsules). The one I have found that is reasonable-ish is AOR Multi Basics. It's not high-potency enough for my liking but at least it doesn't have any glaring omissions. I take a handful of other supps separately. I'm convinced these supplements add quality to my life because I've felt the effects, and I'm banking on the fact that they add quantity as well. the cost per month is under $50, well less than some people spend on lotto tickets, which yield the vast majority of them nothing.

entropy
03-13-2015, 12:49 PM
I think of multis as an insurance policy. even though you have insurance on your home doesn't mean you smoke in bed or cook on open flames inside. similarly, a multi doesn't give you permission to eat a shitty diet. It's always a good idea to eat lots of brightly-colored foods, especially greens and berries. I usually eat a "dinosaur salad" for dinner that is a huge bowl of kale, arugula, mixed baby greens, topped with olives and peppers. right now i'm eating local-grown garlic and eggs. but even that is not ideal. where I live, soil is so deficient in selenium that animals must be given a supplement if they eat only locally-grown hay. so if i were to eat a 100% local diet ("ideal" in some respects) I might end up deficient. of course I do eat fruit and veggies from various places around the world so that is not a reality, but even then, declining levels in soil (google 'topsoil erosion') as well as nutrient losses during transport mean that my food probably has fewer nutrients than my grandparents' did. so taking a well-designed multi becomes a good option.

Most multis are a piss-poor amalgamation of bad forms of nutrients, unbalanced dosages, poor bioavailability, and unnecessary fillers (for example I'll never understand why most BBing brands add colorings to tablets and capsules). The one I have found that is reasonable-ish is AOR Multi Basics. It's not high-potency enough for my liking but at least it doesn't have any glaring omissions. I take a handful of other supps separately. I'm convinced these supplements add quality to my life because I've felt the effects, and I'm banking on the fact that they add quantity as well. the cost per month is under $50, well less than some people spend on lotto tickets, which yield the vast majority of them nothing.

you should definitely look at orange triad bro. Its pricier than most of the other multis out there but its the only thing i'd ever use, might be high enough potency for you.

Bam24
03-13-2015, 12:59 PM
Amazon had a pretty good deal on it.. Like 26$ for 280. But I take 6 a day... So it's like 45 days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pman42
03-14-2015, 09:46 PM
Orange Triad looks allright but a few things I don't like about it:

o Doesn't state content of E vitamers other than alph-tocopherol. this means they are probably low-dosed
o No dose of lutein given, probably fairy-dusted
o Vitamin K as Phytonadione (should be MK7 for heart and bone health)
o Folate as folic acid and not methylfolate (I feel MUCH better when I take 800-1000mcg methylfolate)
o I already take MSM by the teaspoon so this just adds to capsule count

I do like the inclusion of glucosamine/chondroitin and Methylcobalamin. overall B vitamins and minerals look good. Just not worth the $$ considering the separate things i take, and adding methyfolate and MK7 to it would push the cost up too high for my liking
o I'd like more chromium