PDA

View Full Version : Comeback from injury

DJM
11-26-2012, 08:26 AM
something rough that happened to you, put you on the shelf, doubted your future in training, ect

about 4yrs ago, prior to christmas, had nasty muscle spasms for a week, had me at my knees late at night....went in, after tests was found my lung was collapsing, to this day no definitive reason outside rare virus / rare pnemonia

multiple procedures, crazy stories, 3weeks, and a surgery that resulted in a 73 staple wound, i went home 20lbs lighter

was told 6months, i really had no drive, and took a good 18months before i 'really' went back, was soft as shit and wore sweaters for 2months lol......many times i thought the gym was a phase that had passed

BoneDaddy
11-26-2012, 08:59 AM
How'd ya get back on that horse, D?

h2s
11-26-2012, 09:13 AM
My first "gym interference" came at a time that I wasn't that serious with the gym. I had some type of heart issue, which scared the hell out of me, especially since I was ~18. I had random hits of a strong chest tension, exactly in the area of my heart. The pain lasted mere seconds, but was strong enough for me to literally drop twice (luckily both times was in a home (at the time gf's house)). I had visited a cardiologist after that gf threatened to call one herself (I was a stubburn kid at the time). Multiple heart tests later and nothing found. Doctor was dumbfounded, and basically just wanted to monitor it over time. Slowly it went away and never returned, but I was a bit freaked at the time. Interestingly enough he had asked me twice if I had any history of cocaine usage, which made me laugh because it was the same thing my dad was asked when he ended up in the hospital for heart issues. Of course, the answer was no.

Luckily I haven't had anything that serious since (in terms of interfering with gym), just small wrist and shoulder injuries which required minimal time off.

I had some issue with rapid weight loss as a response to medication, but I overcame that by learning not to be a pussy and forcing myself to eat.

DJM
11-26-2012, 10:16 AM
How'd ya get back on that horse, D?

about a year and some later, gf was off to spinning, just looked at me and said, 'you dont do anything, all you fkn do is ps3, you used to play ball, workout, now nothing'...........bumped into someone hours later and asked 'man you looking big, still working out?' (i was big, but fkn round i tell you, baggy sweater hid it.....so i went back, after couple weeks felt better n better, ditched the sweater once i got the pot down......i think i was at it a good year before i discovered pp and tried the tbol lv, first ph in a few years, did epi the summer prior to the lung shit.......havent stopped much since, altho varying degrees of dedication.....the scar fucks up the details in my right side, but what can you do

tbh, it got bad enough where my only exercise as i realized i got chubby, was stationary bike in the tv room while i played poker on the ps3.....fkn sad hahah....i was ready to be happy being a near 30yr old, 175lb in shape kinda dude, really thought weights was a phase

- - - Updated - - -

My first "gym interference" came at a time that I wasn't that serious with the gym. I had some type of heart issue, which scared the hell out of me, especially since I was ~18. I had random hits of a strong chest tension, exactly in the area of my heart. The pain lasted mere seconds, but was strong enough for me to literally drop twice (luckily both times was in a home (at the time gf's house)). I had visited a cardiologist after that gf threatened to call one herself (I was a stubburn kid at the time). Multiple heart tests later and nothing found. Doctor was dumbfounded, and basically just wanted to monitor it over time. Slowly it went away and never returned, but I was a bit freaked at the time. Interestingly enough he had asked me twice if I had any history of cocaine usage, which made me laugh because it was the same thing my dad was asked when he ended up in the hospital for heart issues. Of course, the answer was no.

Luckily I haven't had anything that serious since (in terms of interfering with gym), just small wrist and shoulder injuries which required minimal time off.

I had some issue with rapid weight loss as a response to medication, but I overcame that by learning not to be a pussy and forcing myself to eat.

the heart is the last organ id wanna fk with, i take that into consideration whenever i 'supplement' my body
i remember the wrist thing, that was pretty shitty too

h2s
11-26-2012, 10:33 AM
the heart is the last organ id wanna fk with, i take that into consideration whenever i 'supplement' my body
i remember the wrist thing, that was pretty shitty too

What was odd is the doctor gave me a ton of tests (I had zero understanding of anything health related, so I could not recall which tests), and everything came back 100% perfect. He was convinced that the pain was unrelated to the heart and actually just coincidentally in the same location. Either way, your advice is definitely one I consider.

DJM
11-26-2012, 10:45 AM
^^^after a week of the pain, which i thought was muscle related i went to the ER after i had what i thought was a heart attack, it was that massive an attack.....bp was 190/something i remember when i went to triage.....well i waited 7hrs to be seen but a fkn doctor with his 1800s med bag, checked my LUNGS, and said it was a cold, i was fine and go home n take fkn advil.......i went to the mtl general the next day, was forced by my girl, they hooked me up to shit inside 30-45min, found out later in the week my lung had shrunk to 15% of its size, but the other loser checked and said they were fine.............moral of the story, doctors can be fkn retarded alot of the time...........so its very possible your heart issue wasnt a heart issue, but alarming he did not continue to look for the cause of the pains.........i always thought that 'chest pain' complaint when going to ER was something they took serious regardless of what it may or may not be

Mr_math
11-26-2012, 11:06 AM
^^^after a week of the pain, which i thought was muscle related i went to the ER after i had what i thought was a heart attack, it was that massive an attack.....bp was 190/something i remember when i went to triage.....well i waited 7hrs to be seen but a fkn doctor with his 1800s med bag, checked my LUNGS, and said it was a cold, i was fine and go home n take fkn advil.......i went to the mtl general the next day, was forced by my girl, they hooked me up to shit inside 30-45min, found out later in the week my lung had shrunk to 15% of its size, but the other loser checked and said they were fine.............moral of the story, doctors can be fkn retarded alot of the time...........so its very possible your heart issue wasnt a heart issue, but alarming he did not continue to look for the cause of the pains.........i always thought that 'chest pain' complaint when going to ER was something they took serious regardless of what it may or may not be

Holy hell dj. I don't even know where to start... That's a pretty legit inspiration. Did your trachea shift at all to the side of the good lung??? Gotta love that Canadian healthcare...(kidding, of course).

Glad that shit subsided and you got back into the gym.

H2S I feel your pain buddy. When I got diagnosed with hypertension I didn't want to believe it. I used to go on a run and be a few miles out from the barracks on base and my chest would start to ache and hurt. I also would get a(what I know now as a cramp) pain up near my armpit on my left side... Scared me. Freaked me out and happened pretty frequently. Had to keep going to medical for ekgs and BP testing on the regular.

Started my bp meds. Which didnt work, switched coasts and saw a new doc in SD. New bp meds had me alllllll fuct up. Almost passed out in the gym a few times. Couldn't keep the wiener up at all at 23!!! Horrible. New meds. Soon as I got comfy on those, the dose was too high and back to square 1. Then new duty station.... Had me doing more ekgs, ecgs, found my murmur which isn't bad in anyway. Did 24hr bp test, heart monitor for 2 wks etc. then it's just like yeah, you have high bp. That's all..... It's scary to go through all that and second guess everything you do for that fear....

burlyman30
11-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Inspirational comebacks from a state where you think you might die.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

DJM
11-26-2012, 12:25 PM
Inspirational comebacks from a state where you think you might die.

i was told i was dying lmfao, after the fact of course.......
catheter when i woke up (shit fkn pulls when you go for your walk)(when its pulled out, it burns so much you get horny, no jk)
lung tap that didnt work
iv in my foot one night because dumb nurse squeezed a sac into my arm in 5min thus infecting it
shitting into a bedpan, very unbecoming
hallucinations from the epidural drip i was on (squirrels on my head, seeing my gf mount me)
pic line to replace iv
alot of jello
doctors with the same stupid qs the first week trying to figure out the issue(this one, fk her lips were chapped, n had the white buildup in the side of her mouth)
ect

and yes, medicare is great......wife's sister's bf just had knee done, 80k, still paid 9k premium off his insurance.....when he heard my story he asked how much.....guessing 250k bill, told him 0, n my card had expired too.....so for you americans who knock obama, you wont the day you actually fkn need it

n no math, no shift, was put on respirator for few days, oddly i didnt want it as i was able to breathe ok on my own, with the 1.2 lungs

- - - Updated - - -

you think you might die.

the last time i barebacked you i heard you murmur that

h2s
11-26-2012, 12:31 PM
and yes, medicare is great......wife's sister's bf just had knee done, 80k, still paid 9k premium off his insurance.....when he heard my story he asked how much.....guessing 250k bill, told him 0, n my card had expired too.....so for you americans who knock obama, you wont the day you actually fkn need it

But bro, you live in Canada, that means you can't see any doctors ever, even if you are dieing they tell you to come back in 10 years. I know a cousin's uncle's brother who once ate at a diner with a guy who knew a canadian that said they hate their universal health insurance. Obama just wants the rich person's money so the poor can get brand new cars.

/sarcasm.

burlyman30
11-26-2012, 12:32 PM
I'll throw in one of my injury stories...

I was in the middle of a two year off-season while getting ready for a national qualifier. I needed the extra time to put on additional muscle and come in at the top of my weight class instead of near the bottom. It was during this period that I chose to use AAS for the first time.

I worked out in a hole-in-the wall gym owned by a former world champion powerlifter and his team of national and world level lifters. The equipment wasnt all that well kept up, but it was good enough for me. Or so I had thought...

One day I was adding 45s to the lat pull, bringing it up to about 340 or so. First couple of sets went fine. I really should have paid more attention to the frayed cable, though. :(

Midway through my next set, the cable snapped just as I got the bar to my chest. Since I was pulling back hard at that time, I just kept going backward. My abs engaged just in time to keep my head from hitting the floor behind me. When I stopped myself and "sat" back up, I felt something in my back had gone very wrong. It had.

For a couple of months, it hurt to stand, sit, or lay down in any position and became unbearable after about 5 minutes. No amount of pain killers or anti inflammatories would touch it.

It took many many months of homemade rehab to get me back to the gym in any real capacity, but I was eventually able to get the bulging discs in my back into place once again.

Mr_math
11-26-2012, 12:34 PM
i was told i was dying lmfao, after the fact of course.......
catheter when i woke up (shit fkn pulls when you go for your walk)(when its pulled out, it burns so much you get horny, no jk)
lung tap that didnt work
iv in my foot one night because dumb nurse squeezed a sac into my arm in 5min thus infecting it
shitting into a bedpan, very unbecoming
hallucinations from the epidural drip i was on (squirrels on my head, seeing my gf mount me)
pic line to replace iv
alot of jello
doctors with the same stupid qs the first week trying to figure out the issue(this one, fk her lips were chapped, n had the white buildup in the side of her mouth)
ect

n no math, no shift, was put on respirator for few days, oddly i didnt want it as i was able to breathe ok on my own, with the 1.2 lungs

- - - Updated - - -

Damn. That's crazy!!! Seriously is baffling lol. That could be a Greys anatomy episode dj.

Glad I never had a hospital stay, id be scared of C. Diff infections alone aside from all the other stuff. Lots of pros n cons with that healthcare, I've seen the sort luckily working Healthcare in the military, and unfortunately I'm dealing with the shitty care that I got from being in.

But at the same time I got LASIK for free and have 20x15 vision. Pros and cons.....

burlyman30
11-26-2012, 12:47 PM

ROFL

burlyman30
11-26-2012, 12:55 PM
But bro, you live in Canada, that means you can't see any doctors ever, even if you are dieing they tell you to come back in 10 years. I know a cousin's uncle's brother who once ate at a diner with a guy who knew a canadian that said they hate their universal health insurance. Obama just wants the rich person's money so the poor can get brand new cars.

/sarcasm.

Lol.. without getting too political, I'll just say that both sides of the aisle have a lot of bad ideas and spending money we dont have is a bad economic plan and a problem for everyone in this country.

Mr_math
11-26-2012, 12:59 PM

I was in the middle of a two year off-season while getting ready for a national qualifier. I needed the extra time to put on additional muscle and come in at the top of my weight class instead of near the bottom. It was during this period that I chose to use AAS for the first time.

I worked out in a hole-in-the wall gym owned by a former world champion powerlifter and his team of national and world level lifters. The equipment wasnt all that well kept up, but it was good enough for me. Or so I had thought...

One day I was adding 45s to the lat pull, bringing it up to about 340 or so. First couple of sets went fine. I really should have paid more attention to the frayed cable, though. :(

Midway through my next set, the cable snapped just as I got the bar to my chest. Since I was pulling back hard at that time, I just kept going backward. My abs engaged just in time to keep my head from hitting the floor behind me. When I stopped myself and "sat" back up, I felt something in my back had gone very wrong. It had.

For a couple of months, it hurt to stand, sit, or lay down in any position and became unbearable after about 5 minutes. No amount of pain killers or anti inflammatories would touch it.

It took many many months of homemade rehab to get me back to the gym in any real capacity, but I was eventually able to get the bulging discs in my back into place once again.

Yeahhhh that could have went pretty bad!!!

I'm dealing with a bulging disc right now. It's horrible. Had it for years, (go navy!) had it put back into place once. Came back out due to my weak lower back. Stuff I never took serious until I started PL'n and Strongman. Which is why I had to start back at square one for deads and squats. It's nice my back is much stronger now, thankfully. But I still can't bend over too far on my right side, also can't lift my leg very high nor stretch too well because its basically feels like something internally is pushing right back against me on my lower back.

What else did you do to get it back into place? I think I should get it reset then keep working on my low back.

It's nearly traumatic when I work lower back to the point that it overloads the nerves down there and I nearly pass out trying to do back extensions, supermans, stiffleg deads. Etc.

burlyman30
11-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Yeahhhh that could have went pretty bad!!!

What else did you do to get it back into place?

Believe it or not, doing stiff legged deads with a highly arched (not rounded) back was the best therapy. But that is because the action of that exercise squeezed the discs in the direction they needed to move. Your situation could be much different, so don't consider this as a solution to your situation. Oddly, the heavier I went, the better my back got.

Mr_math
11-26-2012, 01:25 PM
Believe it or not, doing stiff legged deads with a highly arched (not rounded) back was the best therapy. But that is because the action of that exercise squeezed the discs in the direction they needed to move. Your situation could be much different, so don't consider this as a solution to your situation. Oddly, the heavier I went, the better my back got.

These have been helpful with stretching and just overall feeling better. I try to keep variation with all of the lifts. Also front squats realllllllly help tighten my lower back up and have seemed to work wonders.... The only downfall is that the disc is still bulging. Yay.

DJM
11-26-2012, 01:35 PM

/sarcasm.

oh yeah for sure

its the fkn people who have a sneeze and go to the ER and flood the place, which causes the long waits, being free, people go for anything ill assume.....the day i was there for 6-7hrs, i watched others like anyone wondering who had what

truthfully tho, if you showed up with a serious injury and looked in dire need of attention, you will get it

the only issue i can think of off the top of my head is there is a 'supposed' waiting list for people looking for a GP/family doctor......however wifey went for a checkup for her asthma, the regular doc asked her if she had a gp, she said no, he said ok you are my patient now.....didnt sound so hard

again im naive not being american, and dont know all the ins n outs, but it is beyond me the only developed nation in the world without healthcare is the US, richest nation too.....and you have a guy pushing hard for it, and their is public outcry (there was a pp thread).....no doubt itll be a work in progress, but just to lay the ground work is a huge step......and i dont see any argument that could sway my thinking........if i was american, id have had to taken out a loan so i could live, pretty fkd up

- - - Updated - - -

Lol.. without getting too political, I'll just say that both sides of the aisle have a lot of bad ideas and spending money we dont have is a bad economic plan and a problem for everyone in this country.

but the economy is based on debt lol

h2s
11-26-2012, 01:35 PM
I am a former health insurance agent, and I support the current bill, and even more so supported a full universal approach. A great percentage of American bankruptcies are health related.

DJM
11-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Damn. That's crazy!!! Seriously is baffling lol. That could be a Greys anatomy episode dj.

Glad I never had a hospital stay, id be scared of C. Diff infections alone aside from all the other stuff. Lots of pros n cons with that healthcare, I've seen the sort luckily working Healthcare in the military, and unfortunately I'm dealing with the shitty care that I got from being in.

But at the same time I got LASIK for free and have 20x15 vision. Pros and cons.....

you misunderstood, those were all procedures, lung tap didnt work because it was an attempt to avoid surgery, they did their job.....only thing was the nurse squeezing my iv, but thats here being stupid and not a knock on the system.....iv in the foot was result of that arm not being available, and the other already iv'd............ill say the care was more than adequate, i went to be treated and not look for a vacation

DJM
11-26-2012, 01:42 PM

back is last place id wanna get hurt, iv had a few close calls, but thats it...........wow pretty rough
shoulda taught you to stop playing with the big boy weights and go back to your hulk hogan gym set
http://cdn3.therxreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/WOD-Toys.jpeg

Mr_math
11-26-2012, 02:11 PM
you misunderstood, those were all procedures, lung tap didnt work because it was an attempt to avoid surgery, they did their job.....only thing was the nurse squeezing my iv, but thats here being stupid and not a knock on the system.....iv in the foot was result of that arm not being available, and the other already iv'd............ill say the care was more than adequate, i went to be treated and not look for a vacation

I'm aware those are procedures. I am thankful I've never had to be hospitalized is what I'm saying. Regardless of what system it is.

Yeah it'd be nice to be taken care of and get fixed. I would rather not be in the bed in the first place. Just like women having To go through a pregnancy. All the stuff they have to put up with. Taxing to say the least.

burlyman30
11-26-2012, 02:18 PM
back is last place id wanna get hurt, iv had a few close calls, but thats it...........wow pretty rough
shoulda taught you to stop playing with the big boy weights and go back to your hulk hogan gym set
http://cdn3.therxreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/WOD-Toys.jpeg

This is a pic of your personal home gym, isn't it.

Rulk
11-26-2012, 04:20 PM
I've been dealing with a couple issues since 2010. Shit, just last saturday, after a nice full day on my feet, I could not stand straight up, or risk dropping to my knees in pain. It's the damn back! L5 to be exact... I don't really get hurt doing my grappling or lifting- it actually feels better if I do them. Standing too long and sitting too long is what fucks my back up. Although I have hurt it from lifting here.

My plan was and still is, to lose weight while strengthening up the whole body. My rehab went from Aqua-therapy and having to use a cane, to living room excercises struggling with my own bodyweight, and now to the gym and dojo.

Thats the killer^ being injured while being heavy. Once it happens to you, you'll change your mind about wanting to get big.

DJM
11-26-2012, 04:33 PM
^^^ you arent big
you are huge!!! werent you as high as 300??

i couldnt afford the food lol let alone fathom it

good luck tho

if my back is stiff, its always sitting but gym n sports nada from being warm so i get what you are saying

h2s
11-26-2012, 04:38 PM
^^^ you arent big

good luck tho

if my back is stiff, its always sitting but gym n sports nada from being warm so i get what you are saying

I love Ryansm's descriptions of what his diet style used to be. Insane.

Rulk
11-26-2012, 05:14 PM
^^^ you arent big

good luck tho

I was 312 and just miserable. When I got hurt I was around 270 to 280. When the mornings are cold, shit like my wrists and knees hurt. At 5'10, I think I should get my weight down to at least 230 to alleviate much more of the joint soreness.

iron
11-29-2012, 11:26 PM
I was 312 and just miserable. When I got hurt I was around 270 to 280. When the mornings are cold, shit like my wrists and knees hurt. At 5'10, I think I should get my weight down to at least 230 to alleviate much more of the joint soreness.

ive got old man knee's but not due to my weight but the pateller track thing, and my right hand hurts like hell in the cold becasue i busted it on somebody's skull and it never healed right because i had a new job at the time that required climbing and shoveling, but after reading djms lung thing i kinda feel like a pussy:p

DJM
11-30-2012, 07:38 AM
ive got old man knee's but not due to my weight but the pateller track thing, and my right hand hurts like hell in the cold becasue i busted it on somebody's skull and it never healed right because i had a new job at the time that required climbing and shoveling, but after reading djms lung thing i kinda feel like a pussy:p

yeah but im good now, your stuff still lingers, id truly hate that

- - - Updated - - -

my friend is amazing cardio shape despite being 6'1 260, does crossfit, teaches kickboxing, spars at tristar with the camp, ect.....but at 36 his ankles are shot from supporting the weight, guy moves like a cat, but has alot of nagging soreness there and in the back

Rulk
11-30-2012, 04:14 PM
Yeah it's inevitable it seems like ( except for Randy Couture ) and just something we have to deal with. Ah, but it'll all be over once we die. Comforting isn't it?:p

I believe in most cases, the taller you are, the heavier your bone structure is and capable of carrying more weight. Me being 5'10, my bone structure and size are pretty average, so the excess weight has taken it's toll. For me I have been trying to understand why I had this size obsession and how it was kind of detrimental to my health. I never wanted to hear or acccept the truth, but as I get older, it has my full attention now. Wanting to be big and jacked was a phase I think a lot of us go through and most of us probably still are.

Unless you have a complete obsession with being big, I think it's wise to start down sizing and thinking about the long run.

iron
11-30-2012, 06:41 PM
yeah but im good now, your stuff still lingers, id truly hate that

- - - Updated - - -

my friend is amazing cardio shape despite being 6'1 260, does crossfit, teaches kickboxing, spars at tristar with the camp, ect.....but at 36 his ankles are shot from supporting the weight, guy moves like a cat, but has alot of nagging soreness there and in the back

to be honest id rather be shot and be down a few months than have fkn knee and tendin problems that linger