PDA

View Full Version : Different routines...

AresTS
11-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Every forum has em' by the hundreds, we might as well get one started here.

Post up some of your favorite routines you have done and what the results were. I've personally only tried a few, my favorite so far being, DoggCrapp Training. It' pretty gnarly on my CNS, I have no clue how natural guys can stay on it for long periods of time however, I have put on a decent amount of mass and increased strength quite a bit as well. I just finished up reading 5/3/1 and am debating giving that a go or I may just do my own thing for a bit.

IMO, it doesn't really matter what routine you go with, as long as the base fundamentals revolve around progressing. I don't understand how people say they don't use a log book, there is no possible way I would be able to track each and every one of my lifts - weights, rep count, etc from week to week by memory.

I personally am also a firm believer in doing cardio which was one of my major beefs with DC. The problem with DC Training and cardio is that anything outside of walking in the morning (fasted state, on off days) is not recommended and for me not physically possible (I tried). I'm looking forward to switching up my routine so I can incorporate some HIIT back in the mix. I love my sprints and pushes lol!!

Anyways that's my 2 cents. I'm looking forward to hearing others thoughts, especially since I'm getting ready to switch it up myself.

h2s
11-05-2012, 11:59 AM
I like PHAT by Layne Norton. I switch around alot, but I always go back to it for some time.

Mega Feature: Layne Norton Training Series + Full Power/Hypertrophy Routine (Updated 2011) | SimplyShredded.com (http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html)

DJM
11-05-2012, 12:34 PM
mountain dog

iv found my physique has taken off in the last year when i changed from really heavy for 6 to heavy for 20, volume volume volume

USN HM 350Z
11-05-2012, 01:19 PM
have been looking at HRT for sometime now, but I train alone and not sure I could find someone consistent for the negative work that is involved. I enjoyed 5x5 for while, but just not enough variety for me. Pretty much on my own 4 day split right now. Most don't like it, but it works for me

Chest & front delts
Back & traps & rear delts
Arms & side lifts
Legs
rinse & repeat ( I rotate between dumbbell and barbell every rotation)

Shoulders don't feel over trained and have responded positively to it for the last 5 weeks.

need to find something just to work on toning for Dec-Feb with a lower volume as I will be without enhancement for those 3 months and want to strip off as much BF as possible before going into a 4 month Test/Mast/Tren cycle.

I will be running 5 days a week, BJJ 3 days a week and Muay Thai 3 days a week during that 3 months of off time also.

Recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Horstmj
11-05-2012, 07:40 PM
I have been following Hypertrophy Max, by Ben Pakulski, it's a new routine every month, but killer workouts, and just when you start to plateau, you get hit with a new workout, prob the best laid out program I ever done, his other program MI40 rocks as well, has anyone else on here tried them?

AresTS
11-05-2012, 09:15 PM
I like PHAT by Layne Norton. I switch around alot, but I always go back to it for some time.

Mega Feature: Layne Norton Training Series + Full Power/Hypertrophy Routine (Updated 2011) | SimplyShredded.com (http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html)
I've heard of a couple of people liking PHAT. I had never heard of it and thought that when it was mentioned I was getting compliments (pretty hot and tempting lol). That clearly wasn't the case ; )

Thanks for the link bud.

mountain dog

iv found my physique has taken off in the last year when i changed from really heavy for 6 to heavy for 20, volume volume volume
Everything 20? Dead lifts, squats, everything? My only fear of doing such high rep work would be break down of form. Have you noticed the tendency to cheat a little to complete the movement?

have been looking at HRT for sometime now, but I train alone and not sure I could find someone consistent for the negative work that is involved. I enjoyed 5x5 for while, but just not enough variety for me. Pretty much on my own 4 day split right now. Most don't like it, but it works for me

Chest & front delts
Back & traps & rear delts
Arms & side lifts
Legs
rinse & repeat ( I rotate between dumbbell and barbell every rotation)

Shoulders don't feel over trained and have responded positively to it for the last 5 weeks.

need to find something just to work on toning for Dec-Feb with a lower volume as I will be without enhancement for those 3 months and want to strip off as much BF as possible before going into a 4 month Test/Mast/Tren cycle.

I will be running 5 days a week, BJJ 3 days a week and Muay Thai 3 days a week during that 3 months of off time also.

Recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
HRT? Finding consistent spotters is harder than finding a wife lol! I feel your pain man.

I have been following Hypertrophy Max, by Ben Pakulski, it's a new routine every month, but killer workouts, and just when you start to plateau, you get hit with a new workout, prob the best laid out program I ever done, his other program MI40 rocks as well, has anyone else on here tried them?
Thanks for putting these up guys! I always like checking out new routines...

A couple more I've come across
FST-7
HUH training (something like that)

I'm always a little skeptical of the ones you have to pay for though (fst)

- Valdez

BBG
11-05-2012, 09:24 PM
mountain dog

Can you link me to some info here? Is it a john meadows training routine/ideology?

And DC is my go to routine.

DJM
11-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Can you link me to some info here? Is it a john meadows training routine/ideology?

T NATION | Enormous and Strong Legs: The Mountain Dog Way (http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/enormous_and_strong_legs_the_mountain_dog_way)
T NATION | Shoulder Training: The Mountain Dog Way (http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/shoulder_training_the_mountain_dog_way)
T NATION | Chest Obliteration - Mountain Dog Style (http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/chest_obliteration_mountain_dog_style)
T NATION | Mountain Dog Arms (http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/mountain_dog_arms)

really its bout volume , getting away from the traditional 4 exercises 4sets, this shit will really tear up the muscle, i dont really stick to it for months as a routine, but alot of days ill do this, vs the heavy as you can go for 3-5, never cared for that
recovery, even when on, is a bitch lol

sometimes you are doing a certain program without realizing, his arms advice, iv done that last couple years before i even knew who was john meadows......i do cross hammers and seated preacher almost religiously......just iv never done arms day, but after reading those links again i think i will

BBG
11-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Great I've been looking for a high volume routine to transition into. Thanks DJ

h2s
11-05-2012, 11:27 PM

I love DC, it flat out works. But I am far to injury prone to continuously do failure sets.

Rulk
11-05-2012, 11:36 PM
I dont know what you would call it, but after trying fst-i7, yt3, and DC, I came up with this and it worked well for me this summer. It's basically go heavy to start and then gradually work up into high volume for a pump. some days I add drop sets or a super set.

Warm up body with cardio.
Pick 3 excercises, i'll use chest day as an example.

Bench
2 warm up sets - bar and then 135
3 heavy sets ( reps would go 8 to 5 to 2 or so )

Incline Bench
3 sets ( reps in 10 to 8 to 6 rep range )

Dips
3 sets ( reps as many as you can get for each set ) Use the rest pause principle here to get at least 10 reps each set.

Flye machine
5 to 6 sets ( reps in the 15 to 7 range ) like fst-7, rest only 30 seconds between sets. Extreme pump.

Stretch. ( you will wanna die here )

AresTS
11-05-2012, 11:37 PM
I love DC, it flat out works. But I am far to injury prone to continuously do failure sets.

DC is the best growth routine in my opinion, by far... The extreme stretches could also present a problem for sure.

- Valdez

Rulk
11-05-2012, 11:40 PM
The summer before that I tried using a really weird routine, but it worked pretty good. Time under Tension- 7 reps but you raise and lower the weight with a 5 second count. Really excruciatingly painfull workouts.

Then I would switch up to a 30 rep routine, where I would try to get a certain lift for 30 reps, and when I could get 35 reps, I would add more weight and start over and try to get 30 reps with the new weight. This was in summer of 2011 when my back was all jacked up and I had to try new stuff and avoid further injury. Basically making light weight feel like a million pounds.

BBG
11-06-2012, 06:16 AM

Ive never been injured other than,minor elbow pain from throwing javelin. Cross my fingers eh?

Rodja
11-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Without a doubt, my best results have come from conjugate periodization, which is more of a philosophy than a true routine.

BR99TAL
11-06-2012, 08:45 AM
PITT-Force.

bikeswimlive
11-06-2012, 11:18 AM
DC is the best growth routine in my opinion, by far... The extreme stretches could also present a problem for sure.

- Valdez

I think going to failure on every set, everyday is also a recipe for bad form and potential injury.

DJM
11-06-2012, 11:27 AM
^^^^only time i fail is if i try and push the limits some days and cant bang out what i normally condition myself
like bbg outside of sore wrists from certain moves, no injuries.....tweaked my back on rows few weeks ago, but really nothing ever serious

no clue what any of my 1rm are, but i dont really care
fk i do hammers with 50s, super light for the exercise, just fkn works tho

Rodja
11-06-2012, 11:59 AM
The safety of failure depends on the exercise (obviously). Outside of Kroc rows, I never take anything compound to 100% failure as it's asking for injury, but I usually take my assistance work to failure (e.g. pressdowns, facepulls, etc.).

BBG
11-06-2012, 12:15 PM
I have a spotter force me on bench press a lot... sometimes with curls as well.

I'm really interested in the mountain dog training and think I'll switch to that after reading a bit more and formulating a plan.

DJ I do hammers with 45s and around rep 15 my arms feel like they are going to fall off (usually immediately after my BB curls). But I haven't seen such rapid growth in my forearms with any other exercise. They are just about 14.5" at the moment.

JM1000
11-08-2012, 09:03 PM
Experienced some of the mountain dog shoulder training earlier today... brutal indeed.. It`s a good day when you feel muscles you never felt before hehehe

DJM
11-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Experienced some of the mountain dog shoulder training earlier today... brutal indeed.. It`s a good day when you feel muscles you never felt before hehehe

your welcome ;)
and when you left i still did two more exercises and then tris

h2s
11-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Alright, you guys are going to finally get me to read up on it...coming bck from a pretty awesome phat session.

DJM
11-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Alright, you guys are going to finally get me to read up on it...coming bck from a pretty awesome phat session.
killed him haha

naeydrin
11-09-2012, 01:39 PM
GVT

Rodja
11-09-2012, 01:47 PM

Some perspective on John Meadows/Mountain Dog: he currently handles Dave Tate's training and nutrition.

AresTS
11-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Some perspective on John Meadows/Mountain Dog: he currently handles Dave Tate's training and nutrition.

That definitely makes thing a little more intriguing

- Valdez

h2s
11-09-2012, 02:23 PM

So he is somewhat qualified, is what you are saying?

..and yes, I am kidding.

JM1000
11-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Did the mountain dog arm training today, need to focus on arms as it's my current weakness. Not used to the 60 sec rest time... Really kills you after first exercise only.. Proper form and short rest time is brutal!

JM1000
11-09-2012, 04:16 PM
John Meadows is also working with Antoine Vaillant wich I admire alot.. Check him out on youtube ... Great motivation/workout videos aswell as nutrition and Q/A's

BBG
11-09-2012, 06:19 PM
My buddy just hired John Meadows. I'll let you know how that goes.

DJM
11-09-2012, 06:22 PM
just doing it periodically, and on, recovery still tough

Jimbuick
11-13-2012, 02:12 PM
WS4SB is one of my favorite routines. It works well in complimenting my morning workouts and still allowing for recovery and consistent progress.

My favorite aspect is the focus on increased athletic performance.

Westside for Skinny Bastards, Part III - DeFranco's Training (http://defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/65-westside-for-skinny-bastards-part3.html)

Jimbuick
11-13-2012, 02:13 PM

I saw some people talking about that on AM. I may have to do a little research today...

AresTS
11-15-2012, 12:22 AM
I saw some people talking about that on AM. I may have to do a little research today...

Its expensive man lol... 600.00 for 12 weeks 900.00 - 24 weeks

- Valdez

BBG
11-15-2012, 12:49 AM

- Valdez

To hire Meadows?

DJM
11-15-2012, 07:08 AM
im sure one can piece together his posts and youtube stuff to get an idea of the program, for free

AresTS
11-15-2012, 07:27 AM
To hire Meadows?
Yep, from his Web site.

im sure one can piece together his posts and youtube stuff to get an idea of the program, for free

Yea I may try it. I'm hitting up a light chest/shoulders day tomo with a guy who has been seeing really good results and paid for it before the price sky rocketed.

You said recovery was pretty gnarly tho, right? That was my only beef with DC recovering from it while doing fire station drills was a mother fucker.

- Valdez

Rodja
11-15-2012, 07:55 AM

- Valdez

Actually, for a complete training and nutrition system, that's not pricey at all.

Jimbuick
11-15-2012, 08:16 AM
Actually, for a complete training and nutrition system, that's not pricey at all.

For me making <$2 an hour. That's steep!

Rodja
11-15-2012, 08:40 AM
For me making <$2 an hour. That's steep!

Most people waste far more than that on supplements in a year and the knowledge gained would pay for itself. Plus, you should see how much it costs for competition prep. Even the cheap side is ~$1500.

DJM
11-15-2012, 09:26 AM
Yep, from his Web site.

Yea I may try it. I'm hitting up a light chest/shoulders day tomo with a guy who has been seeing really good results and paid for it before the price sky rocketed.

You said recovery was pretty gnarly tho, right? That was my only beef with DC recovering from it while doing fire station drills was a mother fucker.

- Valdez

on 500mg test e, and flood myself with 30g peptopro and 30oz amino infusion prewo with 35g gatorade/3g creatine hcl ..... 55g problend postwo.......AND MY SHOULDERS STILL SORE/TIGHT FROM LAST DELT WO, LAST WEEK.......love it tho, diet and volume in the gym has made a difference the last 3months

AresTS
11-15-2012, 11:19 AM
on 500mg test e, and flood myself with 30g peptopro and 30oz amino infusion prewo with 35g gatorade/3g creatine hcl ..... 55g problend postwo.......AND MY SHOULDERS STILL SORE/TIGHT FROM LAST DELT WO, LAST WEEK.......love it tho, diet and volume in the gym has made a difference the last 3months

So what you're saying is doing it natural = "good luck recovering" lol!

- Valdez

ryansm
11-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Without a doubt, my best results have come from conjugate periodization, which is more of a philosophy than a true routine.

^^^This, I now have a much changed recovery set point but in the past it revolved around the above and centered on adaptive principles i.e. I pushed myself to squat and pull every day sometimes twice a day sometimes as much as three times a day.

DJM
11-15-2012, 11:36 AM
So what you're saying is doing it natural = "good luck recovering" lol!

- Valdez

SI

AresTS
11-15-2012, 07:21 PM
Well I'll be throwing down a mountain dog workout tomo... I'll update here after

pman42
11-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Right now the most challenging thing is trying to combine my field work (sleds, farmer's walks, sledgehammers, weighted carries) with hypertrophy-style training. every extra pound i carry makes field stuff that much more difficult. tthe field training is valuable as it build endurance and adds incredible muscle strength and density, but it is hard to do both. I guess I'll have to choose which one I want to excel in. at this point I'd like to be the same weight (235-240) but at a lower BF percentage. I've been up to 252 and the field stuff was just to goddamn difficult.

pman42
02-23-2013, 11:12 PM
been reading more about Meadows' stuff, anyone ever piece together his articles and youtube vids to get a picture of his overall training?

I disagree that $800 is cheap. maybe if he taught you how to train and adapt your training for the rest of your life (or at least 5+ years) but my understanding is it's a routine for 12 weeks, which is overpriced. especially since, as the great Dave Draper says, there are no secrets.

Alex
04-18-2013, 12:27 AM
Hmm good i also have been following Hypertrophy Max, by Ben Pakulski, it's a new schedule each 30 days, but fantastic exercises, and just when you begin to level, you get hit with a new exercise, prob the best set out system I ever done, his other system MI40 stones as well.......