PDA

View Full Version : DHT levels 8-10 times higher in hyperthyroid men

TubZy
01-12-2017, 09:51 PM
Thought this was cool too.

full thread: https://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/effects-of-thyroid-hormone-on-steroid-metabolism.8065/

Very good study for those who want to know how taking thyroid affects their steroid metabolism. Below is my summary of the relevant point, but I still strongly recommend everyone reads the entire study, as it is very accessible.

Thyroid - hormone effects on steroid - hormone metabolism. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1807335/)

1. Cortisol and aldosterone production and clearance rate is dramatically increased by hyperthyroidism and decreased by hypothyroidism. While this means higher production of these steroids, it also means faster excretion and thus much weaker effect of these steroids in a hyperthyroid state. In hypothyroidism, clearance is decreased and even though plasma levels may be normal, these steroids have much longer half life and much stronger effect on tissues.

2. Testosterone and DHT production is dramatically increased in hyperthyroidism and their clearance rate is decreased. This means much higher plasma levels of these hormones will accumulate in a hyperthyroid state and their effect will be very pronounced. The most dramatic increase was noted for DHT, with plasma levels increasing by 8-10 times over the average values found in hyperthyroid men. The data on testosterone was pretty similar to DHT. The data on estrone and estradiol was not consistent between studies. Some studies found very high levels of both estradiol and estrone in hyperthyroid people and this resulted in gynecomastia for some men. Other studies did not find increased estrogen in hyperthyroid people. What the studies did find was the accelerated conversion of estrone and estradiol into estriol, which is the "weakest" of the estrogens and is often used as finial form to be excreted in urine.

The above observations for hyperthyroidism are pretty similar to the ones cased by EFA deficiency - i.e. much higher rates of production (and plasma levels) of sex steroids (especially androgens) and reduced effects of cortisol.

holyhead
01-13-2017, 03:27 PM
Might explain why I gained 45lbs since stopping...look like stay puff marshmallow man..Was a broom stick 1 year ago.

TubZy
01-17-2017, 11:26 AM
Most likely. A lot of people after and during fin have low pregnenolone. Well thyroid makes pregnenolone through the transition of adequate cholesterol. So if thyroid is low or suppressed (say by finasteride indirectly) you are going to have low or lower pregnenolone along with the androgens.

bizzbee
01-17-2017, 12:02 PM
What if you wanted to counteract pregnenolone? What would you take? L-Dopa perhaps?

holyhead
01-17-2017, 12:47 PM
T3 and t4 are also affected..Thyroid hormone conversion is disrupted..Getting sick after exercise body just can't seem to convert this to energy..I'll post my old diet exercise journal logs and you can see how you slowly decline and change over a period months..

TubZy
01-17-2017, 02:33 PM
What if you wanted to counteract pregnenolone? What would you take? L-Dopa perhaps?

Supplementing with pregnenolone directly would raise it. It stimulates it's own synthesis and doesn't have a negative feedback loop so no worry about suppression.

Other supplements would be 5a-DHP.

Not sure on L-dopa, I never seen anything related to pregnenolone. I know it can increase dopamine therefore inhibiting serotonin and increasing testosterone.

TubZy
01-17-2017, 02:36 PM
T3 and t4 are also affected..Thyroid hormone conversion is disrupted..Getting sick after exercise body just can't seem to convert this to energy..I'll post my old diet exercise journal logs and you can see how you slowly decline and change over a period months..

Yes, thyroid gets disrupted big time. T3 is the active version (with the androgenic) benefits that matters though, T4 has its place but if the body has an issue converting it to T3 for some reason (lack of vitamin A or other nutrients) you will not get the benefits. Hence why so many people are on thyroid medication in the US and are only prescribed T4 since its "safer".

DrivenToRecover
01-17-2017, 04:54 PM
Most likely. A lot of people after and during fin have low pregnenolone. Well thyroid makes pregnenolone through the transition of adequate cholesterol. So if thyroid is low or suppressed (say by finasteride indirectly) you are going to have low or lower pregnenolone along with the androgens.

I have to take t3/t4 supplements because of my autoimmune thyroid issue. Is pregenenolone something I should also consider adding? Or by supplementing with t3/t4 alone are you getting preg?

TubZy
01-17-2017, 09:27 PM
I have to take t3/t4 supplements because of my autoimmune thyroid issue. Is pregenenolone something I should also consider adding? Or by supplementing with t3/t4 alone are you getting preg?

Absolutely. The effect of thyroid should increase. You should get more active T3 since preg increases the bile receptor for the conversion of T4 to T3 in the liver. Give it a shot and let us know. Start low with like 50mg of preg and take it the same time when you take you thyroid throughout the day.

Just make sure you are eating enough (for cholesterol)