PDA

View Full Version : Testosterone building foods (and easier digestion)

Benq123
02-23-2017, 09:04 AM
First of all I'd like to say that I'm suffering with H Pylori and I assume Leaky Gut and Candida as I have a lot of those symptoms, so my gut isn't in great shape atm. (Due to PFS, please move this thread if it is in the wrong place, I just figured non-PFS guys might have inputs too.)

So I eat a Paleo type diet and my Proteins and fats are largely coming from Fish, Chicken, Coconut, Avocados. Thinking of adding chicken or lambs liver, is this good?

I've been avoiding red meat as I heard it was much harder to digest. If I start to add in some red meat maybe once a week, is it best to add lean cuts or fatty cuts like mince? (In terms of Testosterone building, digestion, and overall health)

Or would you recommend I avoid the red meat altogether until my digestion improves?

Hope this makes sense, appreciate all feedback

Cdsnuts
02-23-2017, 06:48 PM
First of all I'd like to say that I'm suffering with H Pylori and I assume Leaky Gut and Candida as I have a lot of those symptoms, so my gut isn't in great shape atm. (Due to PFS, please move this thread if it is in the wrong place, I just figured non-PFS guys might have inputs too.)

So I eat a Paleo type diet and my Proteins and fats are largely coming from Fish, Chicken, Coconut, Avocados. Thinking of adding chicken or lambs liver, is this good?

I've been avoiding red meat as I heard it was much harder to digest. If I start to add in some red meat maybe once a week, is it best to add lean cuts or fatty cuts like mince? (In terms of Testosterone building, digestion, and overall health)

Or would you recommend I avoid the red meat altogether until my digestion improves?

Hope this makes sense, appreciate all feedback

Red meat isn't harder to digest then any other animal protein...muscle is muscle for the most part.

If possible you should be getting grassfed animals that aren't loaded with antibiotics and hormones. Conventionally produced beef can be pretty horrible for you depending on where you get it from.

Personally I go in with a few other guys and we buy a whole cow from a local farm. This fills my freezer for a good portion of the year.

One of the best things you can do for leaky gut and gut issues in general is to give your digestive system a break in the form of an extended water fast. For obvious reasons this isn't something that most people can do because of time and cost, but it is the BEST way to heal your insides.

Other then that, you want to avoid ALL dietary allergens from gluten to dairy (if you have an issue with it) and maybe even nightshade vegetables. You have to do some digging to find out what your body can and can't handle. Like anything else, this takes time AND work.

Fats are used by the body to make hormones, connective tissue, skin, hair and brain cells. You just have to make sure you're getting "good" fats from healthy animals fed a diet that is natural to them.....grass....NOT grains. Cows that are fed grains have an unnaturally altered fat content that isn't the best for you. The ratio's of omega 3's, 6's and 9's get skewed in an unhealthy direction otherwise.

And to answer your other question, yes.....internal organs are very good for you because they are loaded with vitamins and minerals. Again, how healthy the animal is is very important.

I hope this helps.

Benq123
02-24-2017, 05:38 AM
Red meat isn't harder to digest then any other animal protein...muscle is muscle for the most part.

If possible you should be getting grassfed animals that aren't loaded with antibiotics and hormones. Conventionally produced beef can be pretty horrible for you depending on where you get it from.

Personally I go in with a few other guys and we buy a whole cow from a local farm. This fills my freezer for a good portion of the year.

One of the best things you can do for leaky gut and gut issues in general is to give your digestive system a break in the form of an extended water fast. For obvious reasons this isn't something that most people can do because of time and cost, but it is the BEST way to heal your insides.

Other then that, you want to avoid ALL dietary allergens from gluten to dairy (if you have an issue with it) and maybe even nightshade vegetables. You have to do some digging to find out what your body can and can't handle. Like anything else, this takes time AND work.

Fats are used by the body to make hormones, connective tissue, skin, hair and brain cells. You just have to make sure you're getting "good" fats from healthy animals fed a diet that is natural to them.....grass....NOT grains. Cows that are fed grains have an unnaturally altered fat content that isn't the best for you. The ratio's of omega 3's, 6's and 9's get skewed in an unhealthy direction otherwise.

And to answer your other question, yes.....internal organs are very good for you because they are loaded with vitamins and minerals. Again, how healthy the animal is is very important.

I hope this helps.

I competed a 17 day juice feast 2 weeks ago, hopefully it healed my gut greatly, my digestion and bowel movements aren't back to normal yet though but I assume this is normal and will fix itself soon enough. I generally have a lot of very smelly gas.
I've avoided gluten, dairy and even grains and nightshades for a few months, and recently I started avoiding eggs and nuts/seeds aswell as I know these can be allergenic and not great for a leaky gut. Planning on doing this for 30 days or so then slowly introduce them back in one by one (but not dairy or gluten) and see how my body reacts. The only problem with this is that as we know PFS is very up and down so its hard to tell if I'm reacting to food or just a general PFS setback.
I'll start eating all kinds of beef again a couple times a week and liver/kidney as much as possible
Oh and I always eat organic, grass-fed meats, have done for a very long time.

Do you happen to know anything about FODMAPS negatvely affecting leaky gut? e.g. Garlic and onions. I always thought they were helpful but some websites are mixed. I know English used a lot of Garlic which is why I do also (aswel as fermented foods etc)

Very helpful as usual, thnks CD

Cdsnuts
02-24-2017, 07:17 AM
I competed a 17 day juice feast 2 weeks ago, hopefully it healed my gut greatly, my digestion and bowel movements aren't back to normal yet though but I assume this is normal and will fix itself soon enough. I generally have a lot of very smelly gas.
I've avoided gluten, dairy and even grains and nightshades for a few months, and recently I started avoiding eggs and nuts/seeds aswell as I know these can be allergenic and not great for a leaky gut. Planning on doing this for 30 days or so then slowly introduce them back in one by one (but not dairy or gluten) and see how my body reacts. The only problem with this is that as we know PFS is very up and down so its hard to tell if I'm reacting to food or just a general PFS setback.
I'll start eating all kinds of beef again a couple times a week and liver/kidney as much as possible
Oh and I always eat organic, grass-fed meats, have done for a very long time.

Do you happen to know anything about FODMAPS negatvely affecting leaky gut? e.g. Garlic and onions. I always thought they were helpful but some websites are mixed. I know English used a lot of Garlic which is why I do also (aswel as fermented foods etc)

Very helpful as usual, thnks CD

You just reminded me of something that I have to add to the site.....fermented foods. You are correct. They are fantastic for the gut because of the vast amounts of probiotics they contain. This is the BEST way to get healthy microbes into the gut biome....a topic that I need to touch on for overall health. Our ancestors ate these foods by default, and as a matter of survival.

There are many studies done on the effect a healthy gut has on the brain, and vice versa. A healthy population of bacteria produce neurotransmitters that are vital for a healthy mind.

All fascinating really.

Also, a water fast is a completely different animal when it comes to gut healing. A juice feast is good, but you're still using your digestion to a small degree. Stopping digestion completely has a profound effect.

Benq123
02-24-2017, 09:41 AM
You just reminded me of something that I have to add to the site.....fermented foods. You are correct. They are fantastic for the gut because of the vast amounts of probiotics they contain. This is the BEST way to get healthy microbes into the gut biome....a topic that I need to touch on for overall health. Our ancestors ate these foods by default, and as a matter of survival.

There are many studies done on the effect a healthy gut has on the brain, and vice versa. A healthy population of bacteria produce neurotransmitters that are vital for a healthy mind.

All fascinating really.

Also, a water fast is a completely different animal when it comes to gut healing. A juice feast is good, but you're still using your digestion to a small degree. Stopping digestion completely has a profound effect.

Ah, yes, Saurkraut is my favourite, so simple to make and tastes great. I have loads of this.
I also drink lots of bone broth, L glutamine powder and have antifungals such as raw garlic, ginger, turmeric and coconut oil.
I think im doing everything I an to heal my gut and I guess I just have to stick with it and be patient. It wasn't in great shape even before PFS so might take longer.

In terms of water fast I cant really afford to do that now due to my weight being too low.

Cdsnuts
02-24-2017, 10:47 AM
Ah, yes, Saurkraut is my favourite, so simple to make and tastes great. I have loads of this.
I also drink lots of bone broth, L glutamine powder and have antifungals such as raw garlic, ginger, turmeric and coconut oil.
I think im doing everything I an to heal my gut and I guess I just have to stick with it and be patient. It wasn't in great shape even before PFS so might take longer.

In terms of water fast I cant really afford to do that now due to my weight being too low.

If that's the case, then yes, you are doing everything that you can be doing at this point. As long as you continue to do so, you will be moving forward.

Durantia37
03-17-2017, 07:25 PM
I know this is an old thread, but one thing I've been researching a lot and which you might consider: food combining. Some of it is really manageable and basic (don't consume water with meals - wait 20ish mins after to consume it), some of it not so much. It's an ultimately pretty simple way to minimize the amount of time things spend in your GI tract and minimize the energy required for digestion.

Cdsnuts
03-17-2017, 08:11 PM
I know this is an old thread, but one thing I've been researching a lot and which you might consider: food combining. Some of it is really manageable and basic (don't consume water with meals - wait 20ish mins after to consume it), some of it not so much. It's an ultimately pretty simple way to minimize the amount of time things spend in your GI tract and minimize the energy required for digestion.

I find some merit in food combining as it makes perfect sense. I naturally don't feel the need to drink while I eat as some people do.

Also, in terms of evolution, for the most part humans practiced "mono eating" meaning we pretty much ate one thing at a sitting...whatever we could harvest or catch and kill. So if we wandered into a natural fruit orchard, we would stuff our faces full of that fruit or veggie. Same as when we made a kill, we would feast on meat and organs until we couldn't move. It's basically a recent concept in terms of our evolution, in regards to having so many different food items or "sides" on our plates.

Also, since I've started backloading, I prefer not to mix carbs with meats as I find this really slows down my digestion. There is also some science behind this as well as different things need slightly different internal environments to be processed correctly, ie, carbs and meats.

As a general rule of thumb meats and veggies can be combined nicely as can carbs and veggies.

Meat's and carbs is where things get muddled up.

Now with my backloading, I generally eat all my carbs alone or with fats anyway.

I find this much more comfortable. Not sure I can dedicate a whole page to it though, but certainly something worth mentioning as a side note.

Thanks.

Durantia37
03-18-2017, 12:49 AM
Yeah, I've been watching Loren Lockman (think that's his name) videos a lot. Mono-eating seems like the way to go for awhile if you're having serious gut problems.

Swill
03-19-2017, 04:34 AM
I find some merit in food combining as it makes perfect sense. I naturally don't feel the need to drink while I eat as some people do.

Also, in terms of evolution, for the most part humans practiced "mono eating" meaning we pretty much ate one thing at a sitting...whatever we could harvest or catch and kill. So if we wandered into a natural fruit orchard, we would stuff our faces full of that fruit or veggie. Same as when we made a kill, we would feast on meat and organs until we couldn't move. It's basically a recent concept in terms of our evolution, in regards to having so many different food items or "sides" on our plates.

Also, since I've started backloading, I prefer not to mix carbs with meats as I find this really slows down my digestion. There is also some science behind this as well as different things need slightly different internal environments to be processed correctly, ie, carbs and meats.

As a general rule of thumb meats and veggies can be combined nicely as can carbs and veggies.

Meat's and carbs is where things get muddled up.

Now with my backloading, I generally eat all my carbs alone or with fats anyway.

I find this much more comfortable. Not sure I can dedicate a whole page to it though, but certainly something worth mentioning as a side note.

Thanks.

I had absolutely no clue about this, intact I thought the polar opposite. I thought that it was vital to get protein in with carbs for your backload as you wanted to get protein in post training?!

I talked to a friend who competes in natty bodybuilding about 'nutrient partitioning' and he gave the impression that it is protein that goes fine with either carbs or fats, but that carbs AND fats together are what are not taken up optimally? I figured that the exception would be backloading, whereby if you weren't being totally clean then things like pizza etc can be eaten without issue due to the spike, but I personally have always gone carbs and meat post evening workout.

Am I going wrong here?

Cdsnuts
03-20-2017, 02:27 PM
I had absolutely no clue about this, intact I thought the polar opposite. I thought that it was vital to get protein in with carbs for your backload as you wanted to get protein in post training?!

I talked to a friend who competes in natty bodybuilding about 'nutrient partitioning' and he gave the impression that it is protein that goes fine with either carbs or fats, but that carbs AND fats together are what are not taken up optimally? I figured that the exception would be backloading, whereby if you weren't being totally clean then things like pizza etc can be eaten without issue due to the spike, but I personally have always gone carbs and meat post evening workout.

Am I going wrong here?

I knew this may have caused some issues with some people.

If what you're doing in regards to your diet is working for you, KEEP DOING IT.

There is a science behind this in regards to what foods should be eaten with what, and personally I notice a difference, but if you don't feel bogged down eating carbs with meat, then by all means, don't worry about it.

I find this more comfortable on my digestion personally, but some people might not even notice a difference. And from what it sounds like, you're having no problem what so ever in regards to how you're eating.

If you wanted to play around with this concept, then go for it, but again, if you're not noticing any negative effects from consuming foods the way you have been, there is no need to change anything around. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

People that have compromised digestion or sluggish digestion can use this method to get relief. Everyone is different in this regards.

Swill
03-21-2017, 01:20 AM
I knew this may have caused some issues with some people.

If what you're doing in regards to your diet is working for you, KEEP DOING IT.

There is a science behind this in regards to what foods should be eaten with what, and personally I notice a difference, but if you don't feel bogged down eating carbs with meat, then by all means, don't worry about it.

I find this more comfortable on my digestion personally, but some people might not even notice a difference. And from what it sounds like, you're having no problem what so ever in regards to how you're eating.

If you wanted to play around with this concept, then go for it, but again, if you're not noticing any negative effects from consuming foods the way you have been, there is no need to change anything around. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

People that have compromised digestion or sluggish digestion can use this method to get relief. Everyone is different in this regards.

Ah right, Gotcha.

In truth i've never had horrendous digestion issues so never given it too much thought... I certainly wouldn't describe it as very compromised, but I certainly do notice a bloat at the end of the day after my post evening training backload, but I always kinda took it as how it is. I don't FEEL particularly uncomfortable though, its just a visual observation. Does it sound like I could benefit from changing things up, or am I digging too deep with it?

I remember you saying you train in the morning CD, if you were to do an evening session would you then get animal protein in later after your post training carb up before bed?

Cdsnuts
03-21-2017, 06:12 AM
Ah right, Gotcha.

In truth i've never had horrendous digestion issues so never given it too much thought... I certainly wouldn't describe it as very compromised, but I certainly do notice a bloat at the end of the day after my post evening training backload, but I always kinda took it as how it is. I don't FEEL particularly uncomfortable though, its just a visual observation. Does it sound like I could benefit from changing things up, or am I digging too deep with it?

I remember you saying you train in the morning CD, if you were to do an evening session would you then get animal protein in later after your post training carb up before bed?

If I did an evening session I would still eat my protein for dinner....but I would eat it and the veggies first, then I would take down the carbs on the plate. I wouldn't mix them up. Then after that it would be all carbs until bed.

Swill
03-21-2017, 03:53 PM
That protein followed by carb thing is something I typically do by accident haha... happy days!