PDA

View Full Version : Eating insects

Benq123
08-28-2017, 02:59 AM
Do any of you do it? If so where do you buy from?
I'm considering adding it to my diet as a protein/fat source, the nutritional value is incredible.
Only concern I have is most places don't seem to be clear what they feed the insects and whether it's organic etc or GMO.

Hulk Smash
08-28-2017, 07:47 AM
I don't eat insects, but I do drink breast milk.

Its packed with nutrition!

Snell1234
08-28-2017, 09:09 AM
Lol that just took this thread to a whole new level. And it was starting out at a pretty out there one!

Benq123
08-28-2017, 09:27 AM
I don't eat insects, but I do drink breast milk.

Its packed with nutrition!

Lol that's what vegans always say.
What, you drink breast milk and chicken periods??

Meegs
08-28-2017, 09:33 AM
I consume Black Ant Extract Powder from Lost Empire Herbs as part of my "herb regimen", so yeah I guess I eat insects. Or at least an insect.

jacknap
08-28-2017, 10:37 AM
yeah the ant extract, which tastes surprisingly good.

tim ferriss also promotes a 'cricket' protein bar. crickets = lobster of the land.

many societys have sustained themselves via insect diet. I'd imagine because they're so small they don't accumulate toxins but that's just my guess. (using fish as an example = small fish = less toxins eg) tuna more toxic than alaskan salmon.

Snell1234
08-28-2017, 10:37 AM
Lol that's what vegans always say.
What, you drink breast milk and chicken periods??

I think this thread might meet the criteria for a cdnut's deletion...

Cdsnuts
08-28-2017, 02:30 PM
I think this thread might meet the criteria for a cdnut's deletion...

How so? We're not talking about some ridiculous cure method, just dietary staples.

I myself have thought about trying insects if I could find them. Most other cultures eat them and they are very good for you nutrition wise. It's just the western cultures have an aversion to them. They would fall under the paleo menu as well.

I always thought Deep fried crickets with seasoning on them would be crunchy, salty and delicious. Like an all natural version of protein popcorn. Non GMO to boot.....

If more people made insects part of their diet it would be easier to meet food requirements for the growing population. Do you know how easy it is to raise millions and millions of insects? The production of them would require a small fraction of what it requires to raise other animals.

Snell1234
08-28-2017, 05:45 PM
I stand corrected. All the talk of insects, breast milk and chicken periods was over my head.

Cdsnuts
08-28-2017, 05:53 PM
I stand corrected. All the talk of insects, breast milk and chicken periods was over my head.I love a chicken period Omelette with cheese ham peppers and onions... Delicious

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Benq123
08-29-2017, 01:04 AM
How so? We're not talking about some ridiculous cure method, just dietary staples.

I myself have thought about trying insects if I could find them. Most other cultures eat them and they are very good for you nutrition wise. It's just the western cultures have an aversion to them. They would fall under the paleo menu as well.

I always thought Deep fried crickets with seasoning on them would be crunchy, salty and delicious. Like an all natural version of protein popcorn. Non GMO to boot.....

If more people made insects part of their diet it would be easier to meet food requirements for the growing population. Do you know how easy it is to raise millions and millions of insects? The production of them would require a small fraction of what it requires to raise other animals.

Exactly what I found, it's interesting stuff.
Sadly because of the current prices I can't use them to replace any of my meals as a protein source.
It's £6.50 for 12 grams of insect protein so not even a meals worth. Whereas I can get 80g protein, 3-4 meals worth, in 100% grass fed ground beef for only £4.60 so no comparison at the moment.

Cdsnuts
08-29-2017, 06:26 AM
Exactly what I found, it's interesting stuff.
Sadly because of the current prices I can't use them to replace any of my meals as a protein source.
It's £6.50 for 12 grams of insect protein so not even a meals worth. Whereas I can get 80g protein, 3-4 meals worth, in 100% grass fed ground beef for only £4.60 so no comparison at the moment.

That's because they're a novelty item right now. Should they catch on in the future, I imagine more sources and way lower prices.

Hulk Smash
08-29-2017, 11:35 AM
I was joking about drinking
the boob juice.

But I wouldn't be surprised if it's beneficial.